output to Zalman or 3d-ready DLP's

Discussion of legacy stereoscopic 3D gaming hardware and software (e.g. NVIDIA XP stereoscopic 3D drivers).
iondrive
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

output to Zalman or 3d-ready DLP's

Post by iondrive »

Hi all,

EDIT: apparently this only works when using a VGA cable and not a DVI cable although this still needs testing for "3d-ready" checkerboard devices. This is for nvidia stereo driver version 162.50 but may or may not work with others.

I wonder if anyone would be interested in this info about how to play in s3d on a Zalman or a "3d-ready" DLP TV or Projector by using nvidia's old-school stereo driver version 162.50? You do not need an E-Dimensional or other dongle for either of these outputs but you do need an IR transmitter and wireless shutterglasses for the checkerboard DLP outputs. Just plug in your transmitter to your display device and switch your display into 3d mode. The Zalman uses polarized glasses.

Set up old-school s3d like you would normally do for DDC shutterglasses and do an nvidia 3d logo test at the 3d display settings you'll be using, then...

for a Zalman:

Native resolution 1280 x 1024 or 1680 x 1050 or other depending on what your hardware accepts. Please post details that work for you if so inclined.

Make a file called h-interlaced-3d.reg with this text in it:

-----
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\NVIDIA Corporation\Global\Stereo3D]

"StereoViewerType"=dword:00000008
"InterleavePattern0"=dword:00ff00ff
"InterleavePattern1"=dword:00ff00ff
-----

and double-click it to set those settings so that horizontal interlaced mode will work and try your game at the right res. These settings may reset themselves to DDC mode when you open the nvidia display properties window so keep this file handy on your desktop so you can reset the 3d output easily in case that happens. If the 3d mode sends the wrong image to each eye, then change 00ff00ff to ff00ff00 for both InterleavePatterns and that should fix it.

N-joy.

=====

for a 3D-ready DLP TV or Projector:
EDIT: Checkerboard output only!!! I have recently learned that some "3D-ready" DLP projectors take other inputs like frame-sequential or other. This is just for checkerboard output.

Use 60Hz, 1280x720 or 1920x1080 or other depending on what your hardware accepts. Please post details that work for you if so inclined.

Make a file called checkerboard-3d.reg with this text in it:

-----
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\NVIDIA Corporation\Global\Stereo3D]

"StereoViewerType"=dword:00000008
"InterleavePattern0"=dword:aa55aa55
"InterleavePattern1"=dword:aa55aa55
-----

and double-click it to set those settings so that checkerboard output mode will work and try your game at the right res and freq (60Hz). These settings may reset themselves to DDC mode when you open the nvidia display properties window so keep this file handy on your desktop so you can reset the 3d output easily in case that happens. If the 3d mode sends the wrong image to each eye, then change aa55aa55 to 55aa55aa for both InterleavePatterns and that should fix it.

N-joy.

=====

If you want to understand this and you know hex/binary. Just imagine an 8x8 bitmap formed with each byte of the InterleavePatterns as one row stacked above the next and you will see that the patterns form a mask that is either striped or checkerboard.

I don't need to tell you that this is old driver tech so don't expect it to work with newer games or video cards but if it works fine in normal shutterglass mode, it should work with these outputs too.

That's it.

bye now,

--- iondrive ---

PS: Neil, if you think this info crosses some kind of "hacking" line, just go ahead and delete it. There's no need to even contact me about it. However, I don't see how any company could seriously be threatened by this.
Last edited by iondrive on Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:40 am, edited 4 times in total.
crim3
Certif-Eyed!

Re: output to Zalman or 3d-ready DLP's

Post by crim3 »

Thank you a lot, iondrive. Extremely useful information for me.

I've been able to use the zalman with 162.50 using the VGA cable with the data pin bent to avoid detection. Your method is a lot better and handy.
Zalman Trimon ZM-M220W / Acer H5360 with Another Eye2000 shutters / nVIDIA GTX760
iondrive
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by iondrive »

You're very welcome,

I posted thinking that it could help someone. I just wish I'd posted this sooner. Sometimes it seems that whatever I learn, it's a few years behind the times. Oh well.

So you tried it and it works good? Do the settings reset themselves like mine do? Please post if you figure out how to stop that resetting function. Also, which is correct for your Zalman, 00ff00ff or ff00ff00?

--- iondrive ---
crim3
Certif-Eyed!

Post by crim3 »

No luck :(
I've been testing with the DVI cable and a 7900gtx and it always outputs 3D in anaglyph, no matter the stereoviewertype value. It's worst than the 'reset' problem, the driver simply bypass that setting.
So, at the end, I still had to plug the display with the VGA cable to avoid the display detection, but then all the outputs are available anyway, without hacking the register. It's a pity, because colors are a lot brighter with the DVI cable.

Sorry, it didn't work for me.

Maybe, if there would be a way to erase the display information from the windows folder (a .inf file??), then windows could not detect it and it would inform to the stereo driver that a generic display is attached, not a zalman. I think that should work.
Zalman Trimon ZM-M220W / Acer H5360 with Another Eye2000 shutters / nVIDIA GTX760
iondrive
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by iondrive »

hi crim3,

sorry to hear it doesn't work with the DVI cable. I will edit the top post to mention this.

Q1: It does work with the VGA cable, right?

I don't see a horizontal interlaced output for version 162.50...

Q2: Do you get a Zalman output option with driver 162.50?
Q3: How do you normally use your Zalman with nvidia drivers, with 91.31 or other?

DLP checkerboard output:
Maybe the same thing will happen with DLP checkerboard output. I guess I need someone to actually test it since I don't have a "3d-ready" DLP display. I just felt confident that it would work so that's why I posted about it. I still feel confident that it should work if the display takes a VGA input. I'll edit the top post to mention this too.

EDIT: found another post that suggested aa55aa55 was the value to use for checkerboard output. I'll edit the previous post.

--- iondrive ---

PS: which is correct for your Zalman, 00ff00ff or ff00ff00?
crim3
Certif-Eyed!

Post by crim3 »

Q1: Yes, it works with the VGA cable, but that's because the data PIN is bent and the display is not detected. It didn't work when I first used it, until I bent the pin to avoid detection. I supose that's the only reason why it doesn't work with the DVI cable.

Q2,3: I'm using 162.50 always in my XP partition. The ouput is named VREX horizontal (I think to remember, I'm not at home now).

Anyway, I have to change to my 7900GTX to make the VREX output work (with the 8800 the computer freezes), so it's quite cumbersome to use the Zalman with XP. I'm keeping the XP partition to be able to use my z800. I'm mostly using the Zalman in win7.

The pattern values were already at the register and were the same you posted. I hadn't had to change them. I'll confirm it later anyway.
iondrive
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by iondrive »

hmmm,

with 162.50 combo, I have only these outputs:

DDC VGA (IO Display)
Dual VGA output (Dep3d)
Vertical Interleaved (SeeReal)
Anaglyph
Sharp 3D Display
Dual VGA with mirror up/down
Planar mirror left/right
NeurOK front/back
Philips 3d multiview panel
Direct 3-Pin DIN VESA connect

Oh well, whatever, I guess it adds one output for you if it detects that monitor?
No wait, that doesn't sound right since you bent that pin. I remember VREX from previous drivers though. OK, once more, whatever.

--- iondrive ---
PS: I do have ShowAllViewerTypes set to 1 in the registry. Maybe I'll try setting it to ffffffff. Let's see, HEY it worked!!! But now I see two Anaglyphs in the list and two "horizontal interleaved VREX"s there too. Hmmm, strange. Maybe I'll monkey with them someday. Could you tell me what values you have for ShowAllViewerTypes and StereoCompatibility in
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\NVIDIA Corporation\Global\Stereo3D]?
crim3
Certif-Eyed!

Post by crim3 »

I'm back!

Ok, effectively interleavepattern 0 and 1 both are as you stated on the first post, 0x00ff00ff.

ShowAllViewerTypes is 0xffffffff
Stereocompatibility is 0

Yes, I also see 2 VREX and 2 anaglyph. Who knows.

Return to “Nvidia Legacy Drivers”