Planning to Stream in 3d on Twitch, camera advice.

Discuss stereoscopic 3D games and gaming technologies for console (e.g. XBOX, PS3)
tripletopper
One Eyed Hopeful

Planning to Stream in 3d on Twitch, camera advice.

Post by tripletopper »

I noticed my OBS program is limited by the number of USB 2.0 ports that my system has.

Since my 2008 Macintosh cannot add any more ports, but does recognize five cameras in the operating system. I was thinking of using two of the cameras as a stereoscopic pair and converting it to the left eye the black and red and the right eye to blackened cyan and merge them together with 50% opacity each.

I was considering using Bino 3D however looking at the instructions you've got to open terminal in order to use USB cameras in Bino 3D.

I also considered using XstereO but there's no way you could do a live streaming conversion with webcams. the video must be pre-recorded for the store.

Any suggestions on websites or programs that could do a live conversion of twin cameras to red and cyan?

Now I do have a newer computer (at least relative to the 2008 computer I have a 2011 Mac Mini) with four cameras but the problem is one of the cameras is a stereo pair and for some series reason older versions of obs don't recognize two hubbed up paired cameras like the Minoru.

I heard there was a way you could use the Thunderbolt 1 port to add a USB 2.0 camera so that the limit could be more than four. currently all I need is five and I want to make sure that the problem with the twin cameras as one unit does not get counted as one.

Also does OBS have problem with firewire cameras? I saw that Bino works with firewire cameras, but I don't know where to find a FireWire webcam or if it'll work with it.

Now I'm going to ask a couple questions about VGA signal pathways.

On the 15-pin VGA cable there's a red pin green pan blue pen horizontal sync pen vertical sync pen. And there's 10 other pins which do things for other functions like the monitor talking back to the computer.

I got two virtual Taps so I could hook up my Virtual Boy and consolize it. But the only true way to experience it well is in 3D.

I think I made a no solder screen merger for the RGB Virtual Tap. I took 3 standard VGA to 5 BNC cables. I know I take the red on the left eye and the green and the blue on the right eye to make a red and cyan anaglyph.

There's just a couple questions I have about how VGA works. Most TVs usually have a ground signal, is the vertical and horizontal can sink equivalent to the ground for the purposes of hooking up monitors to machines? does this mean if I got all three colors and both syncs preserved, I got all the information to make a complete circuit from the virtual tap to the VGA monitor?

The only other tricky question is the sync. First of all do return signals have to go back from both monitors to the console's two separate eyes? Is the return signal a separate signal or is the return signal part of one of the two sinks or is it part of one of the three colors? If it is part of a separate signal that how would I get that with VGA to BNC adapters. if it's in a vertical or horizontal sink I assume the two TVs are synchronized so therefore you just put a y-shaped BNC cable to connect the two hvsyncs and v syncs.

Finally I assume if each color has a return value then all five connections must be y split up. Of course you could set the Virtual Boy to be black and any other the other seven color extremes in the color cube. For the right eye could send a value of zero for the red and get the return value it's supposed to get, that is assuming the return value only syncs up the TV and doesn't send important information back to the computer or virtual tap.

So is the idea of having a passive combiner a good way to merge a black and red image with a black and cyan image to make an Anaglyph, or is there something a little more complex going on electronically with a VGA signal. I understand VGA is analog so it should work without having to code anything.
jacobmartin111
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: Planning to Stream in 3d on Twitch, camera advice.

Post by jacobmartin111 »

tripletopper wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:41 pm I noticed my OBS program is limited by the number of USB 2.0 ports that my system has.

Since my 2008 Macintosh cannot add any more ports, but does recognize five cameras in the operating system. I was thinking of using two of the cameras as a stereoscopic pair and converting it to the left eye the black and red and the right eye to blackened cyan and merge them together with 50% opacity each.

I was considering using Bino 3D however looking at the instructions you've got to open terminal in order to use USB cameras in Bino 3D.

I also considered using XstereO but there's no way you could do a live streaming conversion with webcams. the video must be pre-recorded for the store.

Any suggestions on websites or programs that could do a live conversion of twin cameras to red and cyan?

Now I do have a newer computer (at least relative to the 2008 computer I have a 2011 Mac Mini) with four cameras but the problem is one of the cameras is a stereo pair and for some series reason older versions of obs don't recognize two hubbed up paired cameras like the Minoru.

I heard there was a way you could use the Thunderbolt 1 port to add a USB 2.0 camera so that the limit could be more than four. currently all I need is five and I want to make sure that the problem with the twin cameras as one unit does not get counted as one.

Also does OBS have problem with firewire cameras? I saw that Bino works with firewire cameras, but I don't know where to find a FireWire webcam or if it'll work with it.

Now I'm going to ask a couple questions about VGA signal pathways.

On the 15-pin VGA cable there's a red pin green pan blue pen horizontal sync pen vertical sync pen. And there's 10 other pins which do things for other functions like the monitor talking back to the computer.

I got two virtual Taps so I could hook up my Virtual Boy and consolize it. But the only true way to experience it well is in 3D.

I think I made a no solder screen merger for the RGB Virtual Tap. I took 3 standard VGA to 5 BNC cables. I know I take the red on the left eye and the green and the blue on the right eye to make a red and cyan anaglyph.

There's just a couple questions I have about how VGA works. Most TVs usually have a ground signal, is the vertical and horizontal can sink equivalent to the ground for the purposes of hooking up monitors to machines? does this mean if I got all three colors and both syncs preserved, I got all the information to make a complete circuit from the virtual tap to the VGA monitor?

The only other tricky question is the sync. First of all do return signals have to go back from both monitors to the console's two separate eyes? Is the return signal a separate signal or is the return signal part of one of the two sinks or is it part of one of the three colors? If it is part of a separate signal that how would I get that with VGA to BNC adapters. if it's in a vertical or horizontal sink I assume the two TVs are synchronized so therefore you just put a y-shaped BNC cable to connect the two hvsyncs and v syncs.

Finally I assume if each color has a return value then all five connections must be y split up. Of course you could set the Virtual Boy to be black and any other the other seven color extremes in the color cube. For the right eye could send a value of zero for the red and get the return value it's supposed to get, that is assuming the return value only syncs up the TV and doesn't send important information back to the computer or virtual tap.

So is the idea of having a passive combiner a good way to merge a black and red image with a black and cyan image to make an Anaglyph, or is there something a little more complex going on electronically with a VGA signal. I understand VGA is analog so it should work without having to code anything.
Look for a camera that can capture 3D images in stereoscopic mode. To capture the depth needed for the 3D effect, the camera should have two lenses or sensors.

Return to “3D Console Gaming”