3d ps3 on 120 Hz CRT monitor? Possible? Plz help

Discuss stereoscopic 3D games and gaming technologies for console (e.g. XBOX, PS3)
kriss332
One Eyed Hopeful

3d ps3 on 120 Hz CRT monitor? Possible? Plz help

Post by kriss332 »

Hi all,
I hav just almost aborted idea of 3D gaming on PC due to hig cost of just the PC rig only. Now i m thinking of getting a PS3 for 3D games.
I dont want (at all) 2 shed money on a 3D TV/HDTV/Monitor.
So i plan 2 get a 120 Hz CRT Monitor - HP P1130, 21"
So guys & girls, plz provide me some knowledge on getting 3D on ps3 on crt.
or any other less costly option in yor minds?
Everybody most welcome 2 suggest.thanx
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Re: 3d ps3 on 120 Hz CRT monitor? Possible? Plz help

Post by tritosine5G »

r you mad, you can buy PC hardware second hand ,for literally nothing.

The thing that needs attention is the CPU, you need a good overclocker / core unlocker type (AMD )

HD5850 / GTX285 / GTX460 is enough for 3d , 2 gb RAM also enough.

CRT has no native resolution, huge advantage. No square pixels, another huge advantage.
Both of these advantages lessen the hardware requirment because theres no need to run games @ extra orbital resolutions. Rather try to find a widescreen CRT.

... Besides, ps3 won't work with CRT, ever.
-Biased for 0 Gen HMD's to hell and back must be one hundred percent hell bent bias!
kriss332
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by kriss332 »

Hmm, well i had worked out on a rig.
I5-760, SLI MOBO, GTX460, costly PSU for this setup, cooler, NVIDIA 3D Vision. All this is costing me almost 1000$. The thing is that PS3 can b had in almost 400$ + screen extra (any used hd crt).
Wud u share yor experience of 3D gaming? Can i save a big amount in PC rig? Yor suggestions? Any other method other than NVIDIA vision? & compatibility.
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by tritosine5G »

Why intel, why SLI? That's boutique stuff. Try forums or ebay for second hand stuff, sometimes the prices are totally absurd.

I have amd cpu and GTS250 SLI ( :mrgreen: ), cards cost me 160usd used for both, 1.5 yr ago.

I think you can get 460 for that kinda money now thats about the same speed as my stuff, and dx11 is pretty much useless yet, so theres no reason for me to upgrade (Ill keep a GTS250 for physx).

I have 720p DLP projector and 100 inch silverscreen. The games I play run at either 120fps , 60per eye most of the time, or 60fps , 30 per eye in the worst case. But I think unoptimised games like mafia 2 wouldnt run that good, not tried, maybe they patch it up the later I try the better. Also I have a novint falcon , and I see theres a mafia2 script now . Force feedback and tommygun must be cool , so I should try it eventually.
Optimised games like crysis2 or duke nukem forever goin to run very good.

With ps3 you re lucky if you get 30 per eye, and resolution is much lower, PLUS cant even configure stereo settings that good, if at all.

Again, CRT wont work with ps3, ps3 does hardware authentication thru hdmi 1.4 , and wont talk to analogue displays, nor hdmi 1.3 . There are expensive converter boxes arriving for hdmi 1.3, but im not into consoles , not worth the time and effort.
-Biased for 0 Gen HMD's to hell and back must be one hundred percent hell bent bias!
kriss332
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by kriss332 »

Ok, what processor do u suggest according 2u? No sli !, i think sli is a better choice, merely raises the mobo cost & keeps GPU part futureproof. Is 1 gpu enough?- which 1 preferably by by budgt 2 keep it low? I m not a hardcore gamer,so i wont go for highest end games, which r very high demanding in hardware. But i just want a nice immersive experince, thats y i m planning for 3D not 2D games.
What 3d can b used? Do u use Nvidia vision? Otherwise what else & how much game support? Projector is really nice man, wish i get it from somewhere.
Ok, u suggest & i'll take yors as a benchmark. Try summing up d total budget at end.
Thanx alot.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

I don't think there is any way to get PS3 3D working on a CRT, at least not without building some crazy adapter yourself. PS3 uses HDMI 1.4 for 3D output, and clearly no CRTs support this (I don't think they even support HDMI at all). There are some HDMI 1.4 adapters either out or coming out, but I am not sure they would support analog connections. For example, there is the Optoma 3D-XL adapter box ( http://www.optomaeurope.com/projectorde ... t&PC=3D-XL" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ). If you hook up a PS3 to that, then you will get an HDMI 1.3 720P page-flipped output. You may be able to hook up an HDMI-to-VGA adapter (like the HDFury). So if you then plug that into a CRT, and the CRT could accept a 1280x720@120Hz signal then it may be possible to do this. However, you would be spending close to $600 just on adapters alone (with no guarantee it would even work). And that is a lot of money to be playing on such a small screen (its 21" 4:3, but with a 16:9 image you'd be lucky to get 17"). You might want to look into getting a real 3D HDTV. The Samsung PN50C490 can be had for around $1000. You could also go with the Mitsubishi WD-60638 for $900, but you will need the 3DA-1 adapter to hook up a PS3 ($100). But if you are going to spend $1000+ you will probably be better off spending a few dollars more and just building a gaming PC with Nvidia 3D Vision. There are a whole lot more 3D games on the PC than there will ever be for PS3. There is also a Carl Ziess HMD coming out next year that supports PS3 3D and should cost around $500: http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.p ... 10&start=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
kriss332
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by kriss332 »

Wow, Carl ziess building HMD! Must b a huge surprise.
U hav used HMD's, how do u get 3d on it for games. I mean what support? U dont need Nvidia's IR transmitter & shutter glasses on HMD.but how does HMD get on/off signals? Any drivers for that? I heard that Nvidia is the 1st that converts 2d coding into 3d. & it is able 2 do it wid lots of games. But how does HMD generate this kind of coding. Or it can play only some specific games coded specially for 3d only? Whats d difference in games compatibility betwn HMD & Nvidia vision?
kriss332
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by kriss332 »

Hey cyberreality & tritosine, just plz tell me the budget rig at least. Ok,AMD i choose, but which 1? What r yor rigs on which u get playable FPS for 3d. Plz reply. Thanx
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

kriss332 wrote: U hav used HMD's, how do u get 3d on it for games. I mean what support? U dont need Nvidia's IR transmitter & shutter glasses on HMD.but how does HMD get on/off signals? Any drivers for that? I heard that Nvidia is the 1st that converts 2d coding into 3d. & it is able 2 do it wid lots of games. But how does HMD generate this kind of coding. Or it can play only some specific games coded specially for 3d only? Whats d difference in games compatibility betwn HMD & Nvidia vision?
The 3D for HMDs largely uses the same process as for other methods. The VR920, for example, uses page-flipping similar to shutter glasses (and thus worked with the old Nvidia drivers). Sync is sent over the USB cord. The Vuzix Wrap headsets use side-by-side 3D mode, so it does not need to sync. You can use this with the iz3d drivers, for example. The Carl Zeiss headset is using HDMI 1.4. So it will actually be compatible with PS3 3D games/blu-ray and also the Nvidia 3DTV Play and AMD HD3D. So that is pretty much everything. If the specs are good, then it might be a headset to watch out for.
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

tritosine2k wrote:r you mad, you can buy PC hardware second hand ,for literally nothing.

The thing that needs attention is the CPU, you need a good overclocker / core unlocker type (AMD )

HD5850 / GTX285 / GTX460 is enough for 3d , 2 gb RAM also enough.

CRT has no native resolution, huge advantage. No square pixels, another huge advantage.
Both of these advantages lessen the hardware requirment because theres no need to run games @ extra orbital resolutions. Rather try to find a widescreen CRT.

... Besides, ps3 won't work with CRT, ever.

even i am not sure as PC 3D gaming requires high end cards like GTX460 [pref SLI config..] for great frame rates on high/ultra settings] these consume a lot of power and the probability of the video card crapping out is high becoz of heat issues...you never know..[scary even to think that SLI card fried out needing replacement and i do not trust used video cards espacially from ebay.... :evil:

and once the SLI card craps out then a lot of money to be put in [eqv to full PS3 move bundle cost]

so PS3 being the low cost option with 3D enabled HDTV [w shutter glasses for 3D] [have not heard of anybody using CRT @120HZ for 3D output from HDMI 1.4 now that 3D LCd TV galore with 120HZ refresh rate] but then games are propriety PS3 only [not backward compatible with ps2 or ps] and costly...hacks do not work on PS3 systems either ....

So PS3+3d HDTV [w shutter glasses for 3D] + 'original' PS3 game(a bit costly as hacks do not work) but still cheaper than the PC rig....in my opinion....! :D

Not sure of the 3D effect - willing to try 2D gaming on Headplay HMD with 2d output from PS3 - but i do not have PS3 and titles to try...[still thinking pc-rig/PS3].....

Also do not have hopes on cinemizer OLED or Sony HD HMDas in all probability they will not come out for another 100yrs...so better to forget abt them.....
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by tritosine5G »

1. time sequential 3D needs GOOD temporal stability = you need fix 60 fps per eye PS3 can provide 30 --> sequential is starved. No fix 60fps = horror in fps games ( Sony calls it information crossover issue , LOL'd )

2. cheap time parallel needs no such temporal stability cause nowadays it has quite bad temporal behavior to begin with (HOLD rendering ), so 30 fps per eye might be even okay 60 wont make big difference, but it makes day & night difference with time sequential 3D gaming
You see, we can make a clear distinction here, time parallel is easily better for offline content , with sequential easily better for realtime content at 120hz, 120hz means more responsive controls, and you can make further tradeoffs like triple buffering ( balances the workload), whereas 30 to 45 fps at fullHD whatever makes no difference because its capped at 30 anyway, triple buffering leads to unacceptable input lag.

SLI : I wrote either 2x GTS250 , or 1x GTX460, both can do 120fps with unreal3 engine games/ 720p + anti aliasing, and I don't recommend CRT over DLP for 3D, rather opposite, CRT for 2D , DLP for 3D . You can ask Fredz too I think he'd tell the same.

DLP and rear screen / hi gain screen is the best you can get for 3D gaming right now, quality compares to 2D CRT very very well . ( DLP needs shorter persistence = higher freq == LEDlaser light engine === brand new DLP trixx 8-) )

Return to “3D Console Gaming”