MS: 360 can match PS3's 3D capabilities

Straight press releases and article referrals for review and discussion.
PressBot
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by PressBot »

"From a technical side, there's nothing we can't do"

By Tim Ingham

Microsoft has claimed that there's nothing PS3 can do in terms of 3D that the Xbox 360 can't emulate.

Speaking exclusively to CVG, Xbox global marketing boss Albert Penello said that Xbox 360 was "technically" ready for the 3D revolution.
However, the exec added that Xbox was "happy to follow" on the tech until player adoption rates made it worthwhile.

When asked if he was concerned that Sony had "got there first" with 3D tech, he replied:

"I'm not. We have 3D games - obviously the Avatar game came out last year - and the console fully supports 3D. But for us right now, we're more on the 3D input take, you know, revolutionising things with Kinect.

Read the whole story here.

Read full article...
android78
Certif-Eyable!

Re: MS: 360 can match PS3's 3D capabilities

Post by android78 »

Blah, blah, blah.
I'm quite disappointed with M$. I think that they have a fantastic opportunity with the Kinect to have virtual 3D model manipulation. If you had a 3D image being shown then the 3D input makes a lot more sense... if it's just a 3D input, you are still disconnected from the world you are interacting with.
They are not market leaders or innovators and are struggling to find a place in the 21st century.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

They will have to come up with something after Nintendo legitimizes 3D games, they are the true innovator.
craylon
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by craylon »

cybereality wrote:They will have to come up with something after Nintendo legitimizes 3D games, they are the true innovator.
Even tough I'm not a big Ms fan, I see it a bit differently

If kinect truly works (which is still to be seen IMHO) in my mind motion capturing at home beats a small s-3d screen. I think I saw somewhere that various smart phones will probably be on the market bevore the 3ds featuring a 3d screen.
On the other hand there is some motion tech like move or wii but no one has done it the way kinect does to my knowing. So as much I love to usually bash a bit on Ms I have To show some respect to taking that risk with kinect. S-3d is here and will develop in various directions but adding motion capturing to the mix and taking it a few steps further is a pretty cool additional tech we need on our way to the holodeck.
DmitryKo
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by DmitryKo »

This is just the same silly game of downplaying every advance of the competition which Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft, ATI/AMD, Nvidia have been playing for years. The hard facts are:
  • Half of Xbox360 units lack a HDMI port required for HDMI 3D;
  • Wii lacks the horsepower to handle stereo 3D, and lacks a HDMI port too;
  • Both Microsoft and Sony have been taking huge losses on early designs of their 7th generation consoles in the first years of sales, and were only starting to make returns with the move to 65 nm and 45 nm chip production'
  • Sony produces stereo 3D TV sets which they can tie-in with PS3, unlike Microsoft and Nintendo
However, in the prevailing corporate etiquette it is not permitted to publicly disclose and admit your shortcomings and outright failures, especially when you have no competing product to offer. So here begins the usual game: Nintendo will downplay stereo 3D on the home console but will release stereoscopic handheld console; Sony will downplay stereoscopy on the handhelds but will promote stereo 3D gaming and movies on the PS3, since it can sell their own 3DTVs; both Sony and Microsoft will wait for 22nm process node in 2012-2015 to release next-gen consoles, so they can reduce production costs; and Microsoft will downplay stereo 3D in general but won't do anything to either promote or oppose it until the consumers get angry about the lack of industry standards.

Return to “MTBS Newswire”