I have been interested in the many useful ways the Wii remote controller and other wii accessories have been put to by the modding community out there.
I bet Nintendo has been surprised by the momentum of these third party developments too.
A number of Wii Remote camera mods have been published but these have been highly customised and hard wired projects.
The features of this Wii Remote Camera mod make it more useful for projects.
The Wii Remote IR Camera Extension shown above is a working prototype made to demonstrate the basic concepts and features.WARNING: Be careful handling and working with the integrated circuit camera chip, because it may be damaged or destroyed from ESD (electrostatic discharge). Experimental use only.
The advantages of this mod are as follows:
1. All parts and tools are standard, cheap and generally available.
A special tri-wing (nintendo) screwdriver is however required for disassembly of the remote case.
2. No rewiring is necessary for the cables or connectors.
3. The Wii Remote remains fully functional.
4. The camera is a snap-fit in the RJ45 socket.
5. The electrical contact between the RJ45 socket and camera is easily tested for continuity by probing the exposed camera pins and the extension cable/connector.
6. Basic electrical and mechanical skills are required, however some skill is needed to desolder the camera from the circuit board and to solder the RJ45 socket into the remote.
A computer repair technician did the soldering for me.
7. Long cable runs may be possible between the remote and the camera module.
8. Basic UTP ethernet network cables can be used. Shielded FTP cables remain an option if required.
9. The mod has been tested and works well with Free Track v2.2 in One Point mode.
The sensitivity to camera orientation can be very high.
10. There is major scope for the improved packaging of the camera module.
The exposed pins need to be better protected from external mechanical or electrical contact, including electrostatic discharge.
For a look at the gallery of pictures for this mod see - http://www.mtbs3d.com/gallery/thumbnail ... y&uid=7170