Samsung and PowerDVD11

dreadhead
One Eyed Hopeful

Samsung and PowerDVD11

Post by dreadhead »

Hi,

I am new to this board, so please excuse me if I am posting in the incorrect section.
I hope someone can help me with my quandry.

I have just bought a Samsung 3D Television, it is a U40D6100

I have a HTPC on which I have bought and installed PowerDVD11 Ultra. The HTPC has an ATI Radeon HD 5670 and a Dualcore at 2.5Ghz
I passthrough HDMI to an Onkyo TX-SR508 reciever which should handle 3D over HDMI 1.4.

When I run Blurays from my HTPC through PowerDVD11 the 3D image makes it to the television and it displays correctly with the glasses, the image lags heavily though and the framerate seems very poor. I have gone into the options in Power DVD11 and selected the option to use ATI Stream and then to use TrueTheatreHD which disables the ATI Stream option. Both options result in a very laggy 3D experience.

I checked my refresh rate in the ATI graphics drivers and notice that that is stuck on 60Hz. Am I right in thinking that needs to be set at 120Hz to output a fluid frame rate to the television?
Unfortunately the graphics driver sees the amplifier as the primary dsplay panel rather than the TV.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Regards
Dreadhead
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Re: Samsung and PowerDVD11

Post by Fredz »

Try with a 1920x1080 mode at 24Hz, that's the mode that is normally supported for Blu-Ray 3D. The TV will take care itself of the 120Hz refresh.
bgnome
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by bgnome »

you need to do an edid override using moninfo. create an inf of the edid of your display, connected directly to pc, then insert the extension block from your receiver in to the inf. install the inf over your current display in device manager. this will allow your pc to send the coreect signals to the display through the receiver.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Have you tried plugging directly into the TV to see if that works? I would also download (or buy) the Stereoscopic Player. And use that to play any of the sample videos on their site. That way you can see if your computer setup works, maybe its a glitch with PowerDVD. Also, you can try hooking the TV up as the primary (and only) display. Sometimes using multiple monitors can mess stuff up.
dreadhead
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by dreadhead »

OK Thanks for the suggestions.

I connected the HTPC directly to the television.
I have put PowerDVD specifically into both 1920x1200 24Hz, and 120Hz LCD mode. Both exhibit the same lag when playing back.

I then tried through the reciever and again the lag is no different. I guess that the reciever is passing the signal through fine and I may not need to do the EDID trick?

I will try the chekerboard mode tomorrow and see if I fare any better with that, although I do hear that it presents a poorer result than the 1080p 24Hz x2 mode.
I will also try MSI afterburner to monitor the graphics card usuage while 'offloading' using the Avivo or ATI Stream modes. I have a feeling it may be using my CPU to decode the film and that is casuing the lag.

Please keep any ideas coming in. Thanks

EDIT: When the HTPC is directly plugged into the TV it still shows 60Hz refresh rate in the ATI Catalyst Control Suite. The monitor appears correctly by name so I assume the EDID is working correctly in this instance.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

It sounds like the MVC decoding is being done on the CPU. I know I had that issue with my old video card (since it did not have hardware support for 3D BluRay). But your card should be Blu-Ray compatible. In the PowerDVD 3D settings there should be a check box to enable the hardware support (there is for Nvidia). I would also suggest you try a different video player. Stereoscopic Player is the best one, and has a free trial. It won't play 3D Blu-Rays, but should let you know what the problem is.

Return to “General Hardware & Software Technical Support”