Tim Partridge, EVP Dolby Laboratories Interviewed on MTBS!

Respond to the movers and shakers by making THEM move and shake!
Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Tim Partridge, EVP Dolby Laboratories Interviewed on MTBS!

Post by Neil »

Hello everyone!

Check this interview out and post your thoughts. I saw an up-close and personal demo of the technology, and it's really something! :shock:

How do you think the game developers will respond when they see droves of people watching S-3D in movie theaters? Do you think S-3D will expand in the movie industry the same way surround sound developed? Do you see it happening faster, slower, or the same speed?

What will be a bigger 3D motivator for movie theaters? Better screen image, or anti-piracy?

Regards,
Neil
Jahun
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Jahun »

Great review! And what good tidings these are. What better could happen to S-3D than Dolby stepping in.. Many will benefit from this (interest in 3D TV would need something like this first, I am sure)

A bit sad that there aren't any in this area... (europe/netherlands)

The technology seems pretty solid, if the light issue is being taken care of.. so I hope they can fill a big cinema screen still..Would be a slight bummer if the screen is say halved to accomodate for the lost light.
(since Inifitec loses so much, I don't see how else it would work, without spending alot more on even brighter projectors, making it more expensive) Also the glasses are not so cheap.. better make sure they are not taken home :)

Regardless, this should get rid of all the prejudices in the whole of stereo-3d, once and for all taking care of all these people that think Stereo-3D is just about red/cyan and flickering images.

Not sure whether screen image or antipiracy would be the biggest motivator. My bet would be on anti piracy, there is no way (well ok there is a way but it is harder) to rip a 3D movie from the theater. With people having huge screens at home, this would give cinemas an edge again, as they used to have. So both :)

Ow and Stereo-3D doesn't necessarily have to be in your face, eye popping deep. A slight depth in an image is already a great addition. So some nice trade off between what the stereo junkies (yes, we :P) want and what for instance older people can cope with.

Just my 2 cents ofcourse.. :)
Happy days.. maybe this thing will happen now.. wewt

edited,
if possible I would very much like to ask some questions:

-Is there any list or info on which cinemas are already equiped with Dolby 3D or which are working on getting it? I would really like to go and would tug all my friends with me, but I am quite sure there are none here in the east of the Netherlands. Some info on it would be really nice to keep track of this.. If necessary, I can ask my bro at Berkeley to at least check it out over there, I am sure CA is quicker than EU:)

- I know how Infitec works, but wonder how the film would stay synchronized. Is it by interlacing the 2 views, or seperate (digital) reels on nice timers? If I may ask..
Last edited by Jahun on Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Freke1
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Freke1 »

Everything Dolby Lab do they do extremely well:
Dolby B
Dolby C
Dolby Digital
and soon Dolby 3D Digital Cinema :D
Those guys are PRO. They are going to rocket S-3D forward with lightspeed.
pixel67
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by pixel67 »

Very, Very exciting interview. Great Job Neil!!! I believe everyone is right in that Dolby has the unique ability to really push S3D mainstream and in more venues than just the movie theater. One question that I would like to see the answer to is, "what format are the movies encoded in"? Standard side by side seems to be the logical choice, which would be great news for consumers as we will hopefully be able to actually purchase high quality S3D BluRays/HD DVD's to play on your favorite IZ3D, Mitsubishi, Samsung display. Establishing a distribution standard is paramount, pun intended, to achieving success in the home entertainment market. The BluRay/HD DVD battle is enough to deal with as a consumer. I don't want to spend 3 grand on the latest 3D compatible HiDef DVD Player, display, and software only to find out that your favorite movie is released in a proprietary format and can only be viewed with "special equipment". Standardization of source content should be a high priority right now.

PiXeL 8)
Nvidia 3D Vision Drivers
GTX 280/SLI
Optoma Pro350W
Xpand X102 Glasses
Neil

Post by Neil »

I'm glad you liked it! More to come.

If you can Digg it here, that would be great! http://digg.com/movies/MTBS_Interviews_ ... t_Dolby_3D

Regards,
Neil
sharky

Post by sharky »

diiiiigggggged.. :D

anything else to digg? makes fun.. :D

i liked this interview very much. what i liked most is that its content proves that we are going in the correct direction and that we are not alone.

i would have a question too:

He said that this antipiracy solutions is the first one wich makes the work with camcoders really tricky. how did hollywood react to this life-insurance?

bye

sharky
Adam Savage: "I reject your reality and substitute it for my own."
Jamie Hyneman: "It's really cool, but really unusual."

Jahun

Post by Jahun »

edit: long post deleted

Just want to say: this technique will rely alot more on the fact that not alot will be able to watch it outside the cinema, than that it would not be possible to pirate it. There is no use in prating if no one has the means to play it!

Great work, this should get Hollywood in an whole new phase I hope :)
Neil

Dolby Follow-Up Interview!

Post by Neil »

Hi Guys!

The word is that Dolby is REALLY impressed by the response we got from the interview, and there has been pick-up in other places too! I didn't know about this until Dolby told me:

http://marketsaw.blogspot.com/2007/10/d ... ks-3d.html
http://fullres.blogspot.com/2007/10/int ... dolby.html
http://www.bestlampsforyou.info/6812/in ... oratories/
http://movie-showtimes.megablogging.inf ... oratories/
http://www.latesthollywoodgossip.info/8 ... oratories/

So, Dolby is getting set for another announcement, and there are questions posted here that they would like to get answered.

If you haven't already, post a question you would like answered, and we will have a follow-up interview for your benefit.:D

Regards,
Neil
CarlKenner

Post by CarlKenner »

Wow. Dolby really know their stuff. Great interview. I like the way they actually explained how it all worked.

Those sound like one amazing set of "anaglyph" glasses. There is no polarization going on here. Each lens allowing through three seperate precise colours (red, green and blue), while blocking three almost identical red, green, and blue colours! I would not have thought it was possible. I can see why it costs $50... $1 for each layer of lens.
Freke1
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Freke1 »

What will happen when the trailer is an ad for a video/PC game and it is shown in 3D...
If they sell the glasses at cinemas Nvidia should include this anaglyph mode in their 3D driver - that would make 3D gaming on standard LCD monitors possible right? You go to the movies - buy the glasses - watch the 3D movie - go home and game in 3D (Dolby anaglyph mode).
Jahun

Post by Jahun »

Nope.. it doesn't work like that.

Red/cyan anaglyph works, since they are pretty seperated colors. (cyan is combination of blue and green) So in that way they are fully seperated in RGB screens (pretty much all I guess). The selection which image is for which eye depends there on the color of the pixel, percentage of coloration by either red or blue/green.

Now you have these colors as pixels (red, blue/green), but this method relies on being able to distinguish between 2 different types of blue.. how would your screen do that? It only knows .. err blue :) The way it works in the cinemas is either by 2 projectors with each their own filterset, that does this selection. Or by quick switching between left and right images and switching filters in some rotating wheel perhaps. Dunno.

If I'm wrong, let me know and I'll stand corrected :P

edit:
ps: this viewing mode is not Dolby's product. It is Infitec's and probably licensed/purchased by Dolby.
"INFITEC GmbH has resulted from a research project of DaimlerChrysler AG in Ulm. Under the project title "wavelength multiplex visualisation system" it was investigated how far the new technical approach is suited to improving image quality and to enlarge functionally in Virtual Reality systems.
"

pps: great read is the Stereosopic section of the Barco site:
http://www.barco.com/VirtualReality/en/ ... lumens.asp
You can derive from there that the efficiency of the Iniftec setup is 27%. (compare with shutterglasses: 16% or passive projection with SPAR's like Likay's: 59% (wewt you win Likay)

It also has nice explanations on Iniftec in general (since the Infitec site, is err... simple :) ) http://www.barco.com/VirtualReality/en/ ... ement=2795

ppps: :)
The idea of S-3D game advertisement in cinemas is ofcourse very viable.. you'll just need another viewing option at home. Or ofcourse get 2 pair of those Infitec glasses and mount them on your projectors at home.. :P
CarlKenner

Post by CarlKenner »

This would not work with a standard monitor, because they only have three kinds of sub-pixels: Red, Green and Blue. And each kind of sub-pixel can't even produce a pure colour. You would need a monitor with six different kinds of sub-pixels per pixel.

I like the part about 3D cinema advertising. That would be cool, I can see advertisers having fun with that. How much more likely would you be to buy a product, or be interesting in a product, if it actually popped out of the screen for you?

Is this system for standard length movies in complete 3D from beginning to end?
LukePC1
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by LukePC1 »

You could use 2 DLP projectors with slightly modified color Wheels to achieve this - so they have 6 different basic colors or more in total...
Or maybe LCD projectors with other chemical elements to provide the colors :P

I think this Technology will be quite expencive in the begining. Nothing for the use at home :(

But it gives S-3D a great push!
Play Nations at WAR with this code to get 5.000$ as a Starterbonus:
ayqz1u0s
http://mtbs3d.com/naw/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AMD x2 4200+ 2gb Dualchannel
GF 7900gs for old CRT with Elsa Revelator SG's
currently 94.24 Forceware and 94.24 Stereo with XP sp2!
eligray
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by eligray »

This seems like common sense to me because i work at a theater...

We have a digital DLP projector, all they need to do is project a single channel of anaglyph video that was compiled by the producers of the movie from 2 channels.
LukePC1
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by LukePC1 »

I didn't think of it from that perspective...
But you are probably right. It is a little complicatet to set up S-3D systems for new people... But if it is running you forget about the problems you had at the beginning :roll:
Play Nations at WAR with this code to get 5.000$ as a Starterbonus:
ayqz1u0s
http://mtbs3d.com/naw/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AMD x2 4200+ 2gb Dualchannel
GF 7900gs for old CRT with Elsa Revelator SG's
currently 94.24 Forceware and 94.24 Stereo with XP sp2!
android78
Certif-Eyable!

Post by android78 »

eligray wrote:This seems like common sense to me because i work at a theater...

We have a digital DLP projector, all they need to do is project a single channel of anaglyph video that was compiled by the producers of the movie from 2 channels.
I don't think that will work without replacing the colour wheel in the DLP since the wavelengths of light that must be filtered for each eye has to be so precise. That is why he talks about having the filters in front of the lamp (before the light gets to the other components in the projector). I think you'll find the movie is still two channels of video, that are projected either with a special colour wheel or through two projectors with filters in front of the lamps.

Return to “MTBS Interview User Remarks”