LCD Shutter glasses through a DVI --> VGA Adapter?

Tridens92
One Eyed Hopeful

LCD Shutter glasses through a DVI --> VGA Adapter?

Post by Tridens92 »

I'm an LCD shutter glasses / CRT user, and I'd like to upgrade my video card in anticipation of Iz3D's shutter glasses support. Here's my question...is anyone successfully running shutter glasses to a DVI only card via the DVI --> VGA adapter? FYI, my glasses are E-Dimensional's wired glasses, and the video cards I'm looking at are either the EVGA 8800GT or the BFG 9800GTX.

Thanks for any help you can offer. I don't want to invest in a video card and power supply only to find out they don't work with my glasses.

Tridens92
askforit666
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by askforit666 »

Yes it work.It wont work on pure dvi ports (some onboard cards have dvi ports that can only output to a digital display ..so analog displays (vga) wont work there)

Since im posting i had a little trick i wanted to share with mtbs3d users.You can make almost "any" LCD "maybe plasma" HDTV plugged with hdmi or component with shutterglassees..but as everyone know 60hz is slow for stereoscopy but if you can live with the flickering it does the job (8ms or better refresh rate help but not that much) you have to lower the separation to 1-4% depending on games and tweaking convergence also help.In dark games you can have a better effect because the ghosting is less noticable in shining games 1-2% is quite the max to my taste but it look incredible in grid on my 37inch tv ;).The size of the screen kinda compensate the low separation but its not like a good old crt with shutterglass but its worth it if you already have the tv i get around 30/50inch depth depending on games and settings ..settings are pretty important at 1-2% some games dont give enough separation so you have to bump convergence or separation ..with 8800 high convergence result in a crash for many 3d engines so i keep playing with separation ..and i lower convergence if separation is too high at 1%.DONT GO OUT AND BUY A 3000$ TV NOW JUST FOR THIS you might regret it as it may not work as well on all HDTV ..i dont have a plasma tv but a good plasma with 100hz refresh rate might work pretty well also ..if someone can test and confirm.

The problem : most hdtv dont have a vga connector only component & hdmi ..how can you plug your VGA shutterglasses on such a tv ?
Solution ? : SIMPLE you just dont plug your ED X-Force or whatever to the tv ..you plug it with DVI TO VGA (as our buddy asked with this topic ;) on the 2rd DVI port of your video card and then you have a little trick to do to your shutterglass adapter it can be temp or perm its your choice ..you need to make a fake monitor or use a real one.Here for the fake one http://soerennielsen.dk/mod/VGAdummy/index_en.php you need to connect pin 1-6 and 3-8 pins 2-7 are not needed at least not with a nvidia or intel card ..you should use 75 ohm to connect them but you can use any peice of metal if you dont care ..that how i do it on my eeepc and so far it dosent seem to be a problem most modern cards can sink that current by themself but if you take risk ..you are doing it on your own.i used 2 68 ohm and soldered them inside my x-force 3d adapter because i wanted to be able to plug my ED glasses at the end of the X-force adapter and it work flawlessly.Now if you want it to activate by software (nvidia drivers) you need to clone your hdtv with the new "GHOST" monitor and set the ghost as primary display ..otherwise the softwares wont be able to detect or connect to the adapter to turn it on ..with x-force there's a switch so you can even use dual view if you want (could be usefull if you use a real monitor for this trick) now all you need to do is set the refresh rate of the second monitor to the same as your tv and you can now enjoy you brand new HDTV "Compatible" Shutterglasses.Lets hope iz3d release v1.9 soon so i can use my tv for 3d in vista i also hope nvidia that nvidia will clear the s**t in their eyes and stop that joke that is zalman only support ..everything is still there in the drivers and its all working as many zalman users discovered they are just waiting for the end of their deal with zalman to do this it seems.if iz3d 1.9 support crossfire im buying 2 hd4870 taking a picture of them and im sending this to nvidia with a nice email saying it was the last 600$ they get from me for their "now unsupported" cards ;) sorry it had to come out LOL ;)

Feel free to copy this in a apropriate topic just fix my broken english and forget credits i dont want to receive emails all day long about this ;) If you have questions i'll come back in a day or two if i see a topic about HDTV Shutterglasses i might give you some answers if i can.Dont come with stupid questions please if you cant use 2 paper clips to make a fake vga monitor then this stuff is not for you if you have 3000$ to spend on a tv right now get a real 3d hdtv for that price or at least get a real 100+hz tv not like mine who only do 100hz when running at 50hz (it double the images to make the 50fps movie look smoother) but for s3d its no help (too bad) im at 60hz and i happy with this at 2.5feet 37inch is quite immersive and im used to the flickering y played doom with crystaleye back then on a crappy crt that could only work at 75hz and 60 is not that worst you just need a strong stomach and some adaptation to get used to the flickering ..the more you focus on the inside of the screen it gets less noticable if you cant bare some flickering in bright games dont waste your time trying this.

Have fun
Tridens92
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Tridens92 »

@askforit666...Thanks for the reply.

Anybody else making shutter glasses work through a DVI --> VGA adapter, or having problems doing this? Just trying to get a decent number of responses.

Perhaps you could include in your posts...

1) Video card make and model

2) shutter glasses make and model

Thanks!

Tridens92
Tridens92
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Tridens92 »

Yes it work.It wont work on pure dvi ports (some onboard cards have dvi ports that can only output to a digital display ..so analog displays (vga) wont work there)
Can I safely assume that if a particular card ships with an included DVI --> VGA adapter, that the card will work? It would seem strange if they shipped such an adapter with a card that has only "pure dvi" ports.

Tridens92
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

Works perfectly ok on my nvidia 8600GTS through a dvi->vga adapter. No reason I can see for it not to work on anything else.
Oculus Rift / 3d Sucks - 2D FTW!!!
askforit666
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by askforit666 »

Tridens92 wrote:
Can I safely assume that if a particular card ships with an included DVI --> VGA adapter, that the card will work? It would seem strange if they shipped such an adapter with a card that has only "pure dvi" ports.

Tridens92
Yes you can.Dont worry if the card come with a DVI to VGA adapter your shutter glasses are going to work.Most cards have integrated circuit the detect de type of display and switch to digital/analog if needed.All geforces/ati cards with 2 dvi ports i tried since geforce4/radeon8 worked this with dvi/vga adapters (but adapters are not alway the same for ati/nvidia) most nvidia adapters works on all nvidia cards ati ones are customs sometime and dont fit on other cards.
Some cheap cards (6200) with vga/dvi wont work with dvi to vga adapters and you cant use both ports at same time like onboards geforces (that i tried until now) ..tried the 6200 in my q6600 to see if i could get it to work with my hdtv to be able to play opengl games (8800 = 0 s3d ogl) and nothing ..once dvi is plugged to the hdmi port of my tv the vga port of the 6200 stop working.Just be sure you get a card with 2 dvi and you should have a adapter or 2 (got 2 with my 8800) and both will work like a charm.

Regards
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

I've got DVI>VGA adapters left and right and I've had no problems because of them. This is with an 6800GT on XP, even with multiple shutterglasses daisy chained on the same DVI port. Not sure if its the same for newer cards, but I don't think its an issue. I'm not saying you won't have issues with a newer video card. Just that those issues will probably not be caused by analog-digital conversion.
yomer
Cross Eyed!

OMG iz3d 1.09

Post by yomer »

OMG.. I just realized. Let's suppose iz3d comes out with version 1.09. Ok then, let's get a $150-$200 new card to play games with CRT+Shutters. But what about this new and next generation of cards with DVI. I remember when I saw a card spec which said DVI-D, DVI-I or DVI. But now, it's just DVI (Digital or Analog?). How would I know if I will be able to play with the shutters and a DVI -> VGA adapter? There has to be a way to find out if the DVI is digital or analog!! :shock:

EDIT> I think I just answered my own question... I hope anyone finds this info useful.

Source: http://www.gegeek.com/How%20To%20Series ... ut_dvi.htm
yomer
Cross Eyed!

Post by yomer »

I guess most cards are being released as DVI-I Dual Link, the second in the image, because many people still use analog monitors and convertor boxes for DVI-D to VGA are expensive. Who has used a video card with the DVI-I dual link output directly to the Shutters VGA Sync Adapter? without having to use the resistor trick mentioned above?
askforit666
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by askforit666 »

DVI-A is ANALOG ONLY (Of course it work with analog shutter glasses)
DVI-D is DIGITAL ONLY (will never work with analog shutter glasses)
DVI-I is Both ANALOG/DIGITAL and is what most past/present/future cards are going to be because its the most compatible ..and if they want to sell their cards they need to keep it as much compatible as possible ..ever checker system requirements for a 6800gt back then ..got a old 6600gtbox here it say 600mhz cpu with 64mb of ram ..as if a 6600gt would run well in a computer like this ..they want to sell their card so dont worry dvi to vga is a must.

If you want to keep using your old crt dont worry ..you still have a good 5 years to go if not 10.

But if you have a DIGITAL capable monitor and want to run it at its best ..just plug it and use the shutter glasses on the second port with the trick i described above ..i used this trick for my hdtv but if your shutter glasses support lcd screen you can have analog shutter glasses working with a digital lcd monitor as long as your video card can output both ANALOG/DIGITAL ..but like i said above they need to sell their cards so you should not have to worry about that for a good while.

some low profile cards (a 6200 i tested) have both vga/dvi ..but can only use one at time and they have are DVI-D ..onboard cards are the same ..got a 6100 with both vga/dvi-d and can't use both ports at the same time so forget my trick with these since you cant use both ports ..but someone with a old crt or vga lcd & compatible shutterglasses still can use these cards with their vga port (61** onboard are not supported for s3d i think but anyway these cards are no good for s3d)

So for the final ..dont worry they must support analog monitors or they wont sell cards ..doing otherwise is like shooting yourself in the foot ..maybe nvidia is about to drop analog support soon ..so watch out ;) just joking ..hahaha ..but seriously ..nvidia have some really bad ideas lately beign greedy dosent pay for long i hope they wake up.

DVI-VGA is not a problem for 99% of the cards with dvi ports.

Regards

Return to “Stereoscopic 3D Hardware Technical Support”