Killer 3D Panel at SD&A: What to Ask?

Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Killer 3D Panel at SD&A: What to Ask?

Post by Neil »

If you read today's news, you will see that we are going to have a killer panel at the Stereoscopic Displays & Applications Conference in January, 2009.

The panelists will include:

- Bob Eminian, Chief Marketing Officer of iZ3D, makers of the iZ3D 22" 3D monitor and stereoscopic 3D drivers.
- Andrew Fear, Product Manager for NVIDIA’s Stereoscopic 3D and SLI technologies.
- Julien Fleck, CTO for DDD, makers of the Tridef stereo drivers.
- Chris Ward, President of Lightspeed Design, makers of the DepthQ projector series.

I'm going to be moderating this panel, and the theme is what will it take to make 3D a mass market success in gaming. The panel will be recorded and made available online afterwards.

What do you think would be interesting questions to ask the panelists?

Regards,
Neil
funkee
Cross Eyed!

Re: Killer 3D Panel at SD&A: What to Ask?

Post by funkee »

If we're talking gaming, there should be panellists from the console manufacturers, console game developers and TV makers as well... they should have interesting input.
BlackShark
Certif-Eyable!

Post by BlackShark »

Indeed this will be a killer 3D panel.
I think you should ask some questions about providing tools to developpers so that they can develop their games in 3D, for 3D screens.
You should ask questions about possible APIs that give control over convergence and separation.
Nvidia showed what developpers could achieve with this kind of control at siggraph 2009 with the Medusa 3D demo.
Can the 3D driver makers produce a common universal API that provides control over all 3D drivers ?

about communication between drivers and 3D screens :
At the moment it seems like every 3D monitor uses a different transmission method.
Some use interlaced, others use pageflipped, others use full color + polarisation... This makes 3D drivers more complicated and forced every 3D driver to support every type of screen, and makes hardware based playback a nightmare (for hardware blu-ray players for example)
Now, for the displays of next year (or two years from now) would it be possible to agree on a universal transmission method that carries both full images for both eyes, and then a chip in the display transforms this universal signal into the device native signal.

For Shutter glasses, could the sync transmitter be placed inside the screens, so that :
-there is no need for a proprietary usb sync transmitter.
-shutter glasses could share the same wireless sync transmission protocol, so that any brand of any (new) shutter glasses would be compatible with all shutter based 3D screens.

if i can think of anything else i'll write
Passive 3D forever !
DIY polarised dual-projector setup :
2x Epson EH-TW3500 (2D 1080p)
Xtrem Screen Daylight 2.0, for polarized 3D
3D Vision gaming with signal converter : VNS Geobox 501
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

what are DDD's plans for the future, will you add support for more 3d solutions? any chance of a universal driver?

does nvidia plan to support more devices in the future? Zalman hasn't been mentioned in your press at all. What happened?

when can we see the iz3d solutions shown on CES 2009 like the console-supporting monitor for sale and for how much?
Oculus Rift / 3d Sucks - 2D FTW!!!
pixel67
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by pixel67 »

I would like to hear more about the views of the projector industry. I really loved my old Infocus X3 and would love to learn more about where the projection industry is headed. Are they going to duplicate the successes seen in theaters with affordable passive solutions or stay with active for the foreseeable future. Also, when will 1080P and higher resolutions find their way to commercial 3D projection? What steps are they taking to ensure that there will always be software around to take advantage of their products?
Nvidia 3D Vision Drivers
GTX 280/SLI
Optoma Pro350W
Xpand X102 Glasses

Return to “General Stereoscopic 3D Discussion”