Recieved wrong glasses with LG D2342P?

Don't know the first thing about S-3D? Just bought your first pair of 3D glasses? Trying to figure out what to buy? Post HERE!
PIZZA117
One Eyed Hopeful

Recieved wrong glasses with LG D2342P?

Post by PIZZA117 »

A couple of you might remember my thread a few months back here. Well I finally took the leap and bought the LG D2342P 3D monitor. When it arrived yesterday I excitedly set it up, installed the included TriDef drivers, and tried out a game. Much to my dismay there was horrible purple ghosting. I spent over an hour playing with the settings and trying other games to no avail. Frustrated, I turned to Google in the hopes of finding a solution to make it all magically go away. What I found however was a little more disturbing. From what I've been able to gather, the horrid purple ghosting is caused by the polarization of the glasses being 15 degrees off from the polarization of the screen. Something that can be proved by closing one eye and tilting your head 15 degrees, and suddenly *poof* there goes the ghosting. Coincidentally the LG 3D TVs have a polarization that is 15 degrees offset from their 3D monitors. All I can conclude is that they packaged in some of the LG TV glasses instead of the monitor ones. Also one thing to note is RealD glasses have the same effect with the purple ghosting.

So I sent off an email to LG customer support, but I'm not expecting a whole lot. So I guess what my question really comes down to is, what glasses can I get that will work with this monitor? Obviously it uses a different polarization than the RealD standard. I'm guessing RealD is at a 0 degree offset, and these are at a 15 degree offset, rather than vise versa. And it seems even the glasses listed as officially supported for the monitor have the purple ghosting as seen in this review. Any suggests and input would be greatly appreciated, thanks! :)
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Recieved wrong glasses with LG D2342P?

Post by cybereality »

Wow! That really sucks. You can try buying some 3rd party glasses, but they will probably all be for RealD style.

I guess you could always DIY it by popping out the lenses from the RealD glasses, but that is kind of ghetto. I can't believe LG would have made such a blunder.
PIZZA117
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by PIZZA117 »

Well here's my update. I was highly considering doing an RMA on the monitor, perhaps get a quality 2D monitor, but finally persuaded myself into keeping the thing. I've been waitin too long to have my very own 3d monitor. I had a nice long chat with LG tech support, the guy could not be convinced the wrong glasses had been bundled in. Apparently he HAS to be right because he's an "official TV representative". The only advice he could offer me was to hard reset the monitor, to which I told him that would not make the polarization of the monitor change to match the incorrect glasses :lol: Maybe I'll give it another shot later. For now though I just received a pair of Zalman ZM-SG100G 3D glasses that I purchased from Amazon, which apparently have the same polarization as the correct glasses for the LG D2342P. So far they've been workin out great, been having a blast in my games! Oh and in case anyone is curious, the correct glasses for the LG D2342P should have the model number FPG-2000 on the box and the glasses themselves should be black (and if I'm not mistaken I believe they also say "Monitor" on them). The ones I received were the FPG-200F model, the glasses were white and said LG Cinema3D on the side.

If anyone else has had this happen to them, I'd love to hear about it and any possible resolutions you've tried!
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Cool, thanks for the update. Lucky that the Zalman glasses work. This will be helpful for people in the same situation.
Guig2000
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Guig2000 »

Hello,
Unfortunately, you are not alone and it seems it happened to a lot of people (all?). I think simply, it could have be some logistic guy says "We are out of monitor glasses, but we have a lot of TV glasses, they are the same, so we can put this TV glasses in the bundle of the monitor instead of the original glasses."
From our model for circular polarization, it appears that the linear polarization is the first step for creating the circularly polarized light and it should not have any effect. In practice, it is found that ghosting is slightly increased if not using the "Optimum" glasses. Most people will not notice it and a lot of people are using the "free" Real-D glasses with Zalman and Acer screens and are happy!
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthre ... st21451961
A guy, upsilandre51, on the French forum of hardware.fr (link0 link 1 link 2 ) studied the problem and he explained that each color-subpixel of the LCD panel are not blocked identically by the circular polarized glasses and that only one color can be blocked correctly. So the glasses must be manufactured to match with the green color (which is the middle color of red-green-blue) in order to minimize colored ghosting. So with a bad linear polarization of the polarized glasses, only the green is correctly blocked, creating a purple ghosting.

The bad LG glasses are: LG CINEMA 3D FPG-200F glasses.
The good LG glasses are: LG 3D MONITOR GLASSES FPG-200F. :shock:

The problem is know by LG, you should ask again in order to have the right one glasses. Maybe not to the support but to the customer service. Even if you ever have bought replacement zalman glasses, LG HAVE TO SEND YOU THE RIGHT GLASSES FOR FREE.

You can use instead of LG glasses, glasses for Zalman, JVG or Hyundai passives monitors, as all of them use LCD-TN panels (45° polarization).
http://www.pixelution.co.uk/Products/Co ... asses.html
Last edited by Guig2000 on Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
PIZZA117
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by PIZZA117 »

Thank you for the response Guig2000. Many unboxing articles and videos I have seen show the FPG-2000 3D Monitor glasses, thus my assumption those are the correct glasses. I wonder what difference, if any, there is between them and the FPG-200F 3D Monitor Glasses? Either way it's good information that the FPG-200F 3D Monitor Glasses are correct, thank you. Those Hyundai glasses and the JVC Design Glasses look darned perty, if expensive. I'll definitely be getting in touch with LG again (this time with customer service) and report back of any success. The Zalman glasses work great (there's a little non-purple ghosting, not sure if it's typical amounts or not), though they seem to be rather cheaply made and are quite flimsy. Expected a little more for the price I paid. Perhaps I'll post some shots later with the Zalman glasses of that 3d calibration thing (sorry, I'm not terribly familiar with it) if anyone would be interested in that. Thanks again for your post Guig2000, I'm sure many people will find this information very helpful.
Guig2000

Post by Guig2000 »

I only summarized and translated that Upsilandre and other guys wrote, I don't know much about FPG-2000.
Also it seems that Zalman glasses give a better result than the LG glasses.
Gae43

Post by Gae43 »

This is maddening isn't it? We have been waiting 3 years to see how 3D develops and overall it's been a farce...exclusive proprietary sales of some movies, poor conversions, shallow depth in real 3D movies, high prices, new equipment needed and then problems with the 3D displays. I sometimes feel like giving up on 3D altogether. Now if I (a long time 3D fan) feel this way, how does the normal guy, with only a fleeting interest in 3D, feel? No wonder the 3D revolution is losing steam.

Now I have noticed this purple ghosting too. Weirdly though, it is not evident on everything. Of course, the LG demo is perfect. So it makes me think is it just the glasses or sometimes the source that causes the ghosting? In a perfectly made 3D movie like Tangled for instance, I hardly see any ghosting at all, purple or not. I noticed it a lot (in the background especially) with Legends of the Guardians though. Can someone clear up which glasses are correct then? I'm still a bit confused. I have LG DM2350D which causes further confusion in that it is described as a TV/Monitor. ;)
The glasses that came with it have FPG-200F written on the pack. Are the FPF-2000 or Zalman glasses much better or do they just diminish the purple ghosting a bit? I don't fancy spending more money if there's not much difference. I may even phone LG support and ask for a free pair.

Gae43
Gae43

Post by Gae43 »

Just phoned LG and got the usual "we don't know anything about this" spiel... ;) Waiting to hear if they will send me a pair of the FPG-2000 as a gesture of goodwill. The customer service rep said he didn't see any difference between them.....ha ha. Yes, they are both black and have polarized lenses I guess. :lol:

Gae43
Guig2000

Post by Guig2000 »

According to "Jack-Power" (French language) Zalman ZM-SG100G solves the purple ghost issue (like the LG monitor glasses) but also give a more clear picture with better color than the LG monitor glasses. The external appearance of the glasses seems as cheap as the LG monitor glasses.

Gae43 wrote:Just phoned LG and got the usual "we don't know anything about this" spiel... ;) Waiting to hear if they will send me a pair of the FPG-2000 as a gesture of goodwill. The customer service rep said he didn't see any difference between them.....ha ha. Yes, they are both black and have polarized lenses I guess. :lol:

Gae43
It's a shame.
Gae43

Post by Gae43 »

Thanks for that Guig2000.

I'll try and find a pair that doesn't cost £50 or so... 8-)

Gae43
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

Just unbelievable... The phenomena however goes hand in hand with everything else these days. Quality is no longer a valid argument to sell.
Regarding circular polarization and angles the screenfilters has to be matched with the glasses ones. It's a common myth that it doesn't matter if you rotate circular filters because extinction will be the same. It's not entirely true and often you get these purple/washed out hues if the linear pol layer doesn't have the same angles in the glasses resp the screenfilters. With real-d glasses for example both filters (the linear layer) are aligned in the same angle for example but this does not have to be a rule when using circular pol.
How does standard real-d cinema glasses work with the screen btw? With a little luck they should match pretty well.
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
Gae43

Post by Gae43 »

Likay wrote:Just unbelievable... The phenomena however goes hand in hand with everything else these days. Quality is no longer a valid argument to sell.
Regarding circular polarization and angles the screenfilters has to be matched with the glasses ones. It's a common myth that it doesn't matter if you rotate circular filters because extinction will be the same. It's not entirely true and often you get these purple/washed out hues if the linear pol layer doesn't have the same angles in the glasses resp the screenfilters. With real-d glasses for example both filters (the linear layer) are aligned in the same angle for example but this does not have to be a rule when using circular pol.
How does standard real-d cinema glasses work with the screen btw? With a little luck they should match pretty well.
Likay, I tried the RealD glasses briefly and they looked pretty much the same on first impression. The purple ghosting was still there.
Of course I would like to get rid of this purple ghosting altogether I have to add that it is worse with some films than with others. Overall, it does not spoil my experience enough to return the TV/Monitor as some films look fine....Tangled springs to mind. I am more concerned with the quality of 3D in actual movies at the moment. There are exceptions but I really detest this shallow 3D and inconsistent 3D that we are currently getting in films. I watched my Shark Night 3D rental yesterday (notice I said "rental"...won't buy new 3D movies blind) and the 3D was yet again really frustrating. Forget the film, my expectations were low and it didn't disappoint but here are my feelings with regards the 3D. About 10% of the film was shot underwater and these scenes were superb in 3D, as though the film-makers had used James Cameron's Fusion camera or similar. Unfortunately, the rest of the film was a mixture of shallow 3D, non existent 3D or just poorly executed 3D. For example, some of the 3D scenes had what looked like a good disparity and yet there was not much depth evident and little spacing between any objects. The only reason I can think for this is that everything was either behind the stereo window or maybe some of these scenes were shot with a small separation and then widened in post production. I don't really know but the 3D was so inconsistent that it was jarring. In the final few minutes of the film, we finally get to see proper use of 3D and the sequence stands out like a sore thumb compared to the rest of the movie. But even here, at the moment of 3D triumph, the odd 2D looking shot pops up (most notably as the shark's head enters the cage) and the difference between the 3D and 2D is very noticeable and jarring on the eyes as it cuts back and forth. Now some might argue and say that the 3D was presented like this because the film-makers wanted to pump the 3D up during the shark scenes (a bit like the way it was used in Coraline) but I think this is a bad idea and a bit of a con really. If we are paying for a 3D film then I expect to get a film that is 100% 3D otherwise I feel as though I am being ripped off. Now, so many scenes in Shark Night would have been hugely improved with a deep 3D...the Jet Ski and Boat scenes on the bayou would have looked great for example. Even quiet intimate scenes would have benefited from a fuller 3D depth. I don't know about anyone else, but I prefer the immersive element of 3D more than the pop out gimmick and intimate scenes done well in 3D, gives you a feeling of being in the same room, inhabiting the world of the film and therefore feeling closer to the drama and emotion.
So I really hope 3D films will start to improve over the coming months/years. I want a deeper 3D and I want a consistent 3D throughout each film and hopefully no more conversions. I'm looking more forward to seeing House of Wax and other classic 3D movies on Blu-ray than most of any of the modern films that are coming out because their 3D consistency will be a source of concern for me before viewing or buying. When I pay the higher cost for 3D I don't expect to be short changed. Overall, my experience of modern day 3D has been hugely frustrating and disappointing up to the present time.

Gae43
PalmerTech
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by PalmerTech »

My advice would be to post on an LG Facebook page complaining about the issue. The people managing the social media side of these companies often have quite a bit of sway in order to negate bad publicity, you might be able to get the to help you out.
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

Gae43 wrote:Overall, my experience of modern day 3D has been hugely frustrating and disappointing up to the present time.
Gae43
I can't agree more. With 3d there are too many ignorant companies taking shortcuts (conversons, 2d+depth, inferior "standards" and all kind of other "praised above the skies" sub-quality inventions with a few exceptions though) which leads to the situation we have today.
In my opinion this hurts 3d more than helps because people in general can't differ between a crap and a good 3d experience other than that the crap experience will show them that 3d is nothing for them. For me personally the "golden modern era" of 3d was right before the introduction of winvista, even if it wasn't really officially announced. With the new times 3d just went a lot more complicated with a really poor 3d-experience than it have to be.
Gae43

Post by Gae43 »

Incidentally, I did some tests with the clip on glasses and if you rotate the lenses about 45 degrees anti-clockwise, the purple ghosting disappears and there is only a slight ghosting visible from time to time. As I don't use the clip on glasses normally I've loosened a screw on each lens so that I can adjust them. As this is far from ideal, I may even go further and try and fit them inside a pair of used RealD glasses or even a pair of anaglyph glasses of which I have dozens. It's a definite improvement when rotated though. Basically, every time the purple ghosting appears (especially when in the background) it takes you out of the 3D illusion instantly as you become consciously aware that the background is in fact "the screen", rather than giving the illusion that it is in the distance and behind the stereo window. This reduction of the purple ghosting means that you can watch the 3D as it is meant to be viewed. Interestingly, I have noticed that those 3D scenes which have been properly produced don't get any purple ghosting at all. Even some scenes that I have watched that have a huge disparity don't display any purple ghosting at all. Can anyone explain why this is? Why isn't the ghosting evident all the time?

Gae43
PalmerTech
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by PalmerTech »

Gae43 wrote: Interestingly, I have noticed that those 3D scenes which have been properly produced don't get any purple ghosting at all. Even some scenes that I have watched that have a huge disparity don't display any purple ghosting at all. Can anyone explain why this is? Why isn't the ghosting evident all the time?
It may be the convergence. You will not get any ghosting if the images perfectly superimpose each other at the convergence point and the background is out of focus.
Guig2000

Post by Guig2000 »

Gae43 wrote:Incidentally, I did some tests with the clip on glasses and if you rotate the lenses about 45 degrees anti-clockwise, the purple ghosting disappears and there is only a slight ghosting visible from time to time. As I don't use the clip on glasses normally I've loosened a screw on each lens so that I can adjust them. As this is far from ideal, I may even go further and try and fit them inside a pair of used RealD glasses or even a pair of anaglyph glasses of which I have dozens. It's a definite improvement when rotated though.
This is the proof that the glasses are not the right one. And especially that the linear polarizer layer of the circular polarized glasses is not the right one.
Gae43 wrote:Basically, every time the purple ghosting appears (especially when in the background) it takes you out of the 3D illusion instantly as you become consciously aware that the background is in fact "the screen", rather than giving the illusion that it is in the distance and behind the stereo window. This reduction of the purple ghosting means that you can watch the 3D as it is meant to be viewed. Interestingly, I have noticed that those 3D scenes which have been properly produced don't get any purple ghosting at all. Even some scenes that I have watched that have a huge disparity don't display any purple ghosting at all. Can anyone explain why this is? Why isn't the ghosting evident all the time?

Gae43
The purple ghosting should be invisible in the case of green dominant color, like a picture of a landscape.
ssgmun5000
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by ssgmun5000 »

I have recently received this monitor and experience the purple ghosting. When I slightly turn my head counter clock wise it disappears. I spoke to LG and they refuse to admit they sent the wrong glasses. They are insistent on me sending the monitor to them. Even if I do what can they do on the monitor that can correct this issue?
Guig2000

Post by Guig2000 »

Nothing except replacing the LCD panel by some other technology witch have 0° polarization, meaning rebuild a entire new product ... a nonsense.

You demonstrated that the glasses have the linear polarization layer badly oriented.
janahan
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by janahan »

I have registered specifically to reply to this thread.

I too had the same problem. I have contacted LG customer services in UK, and they have agreed that it appears some boxes have been shipped with the wrong glasses, and they are sending me new ones now. Make sure that you have your receipt/order.
gr0bd4
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by gr0bd4 »

janahan wrote:I have registered specifically to reply to this thread.

I too had the same problem. I have contacted LG customer services in UK, and they have agreed that it appears some boxes have been shipped with the wrong glasses, and they are sending me new ones now. Make sure that you have your receipt/order.
Have you got anything in writing from LG, like an email?
I also was trying to contact them, but all I've got was that they will look into it and send me an email, of course no response whatsoever.
Is it time yet for "the american way" to deal with it and slap them with a class action?

Btw I also have made a post in the monitor section in the past about purple ghosting and wearing glasses crooked in order to reduce it. So the OP you're not alone.
janahan
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by janahan »

No, I contacted their customer services direct, and have sent an email containing a picture of the problem. It may be a good idea to tell them the part number of the box containing the glasses, because it was from that they realised the wrong set was provided.

I have not yet received the glasses yet, but I have purchased some zalman trimon clip ons, and trust me it is worth it. You can actually view the tridef stuff with proper glasses and the monitor is amazing! :woot
Gae43

Post by Gae43 »

janahan wrote:No, I contacted their customer services direct, and have sent an email containing a picture of the problem. It may be a good idea to tell them the part number of the box containing the glasses, because it was from that they realised the wrong set was provided.

I have not yet received the glasses yet, but I have purchased some zalman trimon clip ons, and trust me it is worth it. You can actually view the tridef stuff with proper glasses and the monitor is amazing! :woot
I have had this purple ghosting issue too with the LG DM2350D TV/Monitor. I wrote this on another forum about the FPG-200F glasses that came with it
I have been in contact with LG and after telling them the screen's serial number and forwarding a "proof of ping (ONLY urchase" invoice I am hoping to receive a new pair of glasses. Now, the worrying thing is that after I gave him the serial number, the LG rep came back to me later and said the correct glasses are...and then gave me a long number. So does that imply that the original glasses in the box where incorrect then? More like they were just a bog-standard pair of passive 3D glasses rather than a pair that matched the LCD panel polarization. What a weird way to sell a 3D TV.
There are still a lot of "issues" with 3D TVs it seems. I have had a variety of problems with two LG models. Currently I can't play the movies Drive Angry and A Turtle's Tale properly in 3D. Each eye is out of sync and you can see the one frame lag when each scene changes. Of course both companies Philips and LG have been hopeless in helping. The Philips rep even told me that the discs are for active 3D TVs only and to check the info on the case? ;) I'm yet to see any Blu-ray 3D movie saying "ONLY TO BE VIEWED WITH AN ACTIVE 3D TV".....these guys really are clueless. If I'm wrong though and anyone can support this and correct me I'll gladly eat my own words.

Modern 3D technology is proving to be a very temperamental thing... :roll:

Gae43
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Gae43 wrote: Modern 3D technology is proving to be a very temperamental thing... :roll:
Well its been like this probably as long as I remember. Not sure why it has to be so complicated, but such is life.
Gae43

Post by Gae43 »

cybereality wrote:
Gae43 wrote: Modern 3D technology is proving to be a very temperamental thing... :roll:
Well its been like this probably as long as I remember. Not sure why it has to be so complicated, but such is life.
Ha ha...yes, I guess so cybereality. I suppose there will always be a difficulty in getting a separate image to each eye in a way that works perfectly well all the time.

In fairness, after all my moaning, I have a few excellent looking movies on Blu-ray 3D and the best hopefully is still yet to come.....Hugo, Prometheus, Mad Max 4, House of Wax and hopefully many, many more over the coming years. :)

Gae43
Gae43

Post by Gae43 »

*UPDATE*
After contacting LG last week, I received a parcel today from them via courier. On first opening the parcel I discovered an LG box (as in the above images in the thread) with the model number FPG-200F on the top. My first thoughts were that they'd sent out the same model glasses again. Inside though, were a pair of nice looking white framed polarized glasses. Naturally, I immediately switched my 3D TV on to test them. I chose a few YT3D clips that I had on USB stick that I knew displayed the purple ghosting problem............

DRUM ROLL...............

What were the glasses like I hear you ask? In a word......superb. All the horrible purple ghosting was gone and the image looked beautiful. Because the purple ghosting had gone, the illusion of the 3D worked perfectly throughout the clips. As I mentioned before, the purple ghosting had the effect (especially when in the background) of making the screen evident and therefore losing the illusion that objects were deep in the background. It was spoiling the 3D illusion. In extreme cases of ghosting, there is still an ever so faint grey ghosting visible, but it only happens at the worst moments and even then is barely noticeable. No, with these new glasses the 3D image is beautiful, sharp and crisp with no purple ghosting and the 3D effect works to it's fullest.

Even though LG should not have sent out the wrong glasses in the first place I would like to publicly thank them for at leasting sending out a swift replacement and for getting it right this time. I would advise anyone else experiencing the purple ghosting to do the same as me. As long as you have proof of purchase, it should be fine.

All we need to know now is where to buy replacements for these correct glasses without it costing the earth?

Gae43 (currently feeling 3D contentment :lol: )
janahan
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by janahan »

I am still waiting for my own ones to come from LG, but I did bite the bullet and bought some Trimon ones from amazon, these are slightly better "quality" than the LG ones, and have the right polarizers :)

Agreed, the picture quality is astounding once you have the right frames! :polarized
Gae43

Post by Gae43 »

janahan wrote:I am still waiting for my own ones to come from LG, but I did bite the bullet and bought some Trimon ones from amazon, these are slightly better "quality" than the LG ones, and have the right polarizers :)

Agreed, the picture quality is astounding once you have the right frames! :polarized
I'm sure they'll arrive soon janahan and they'll probably be white. :D They are a HUGE imrovement though! In fact, they're pretty much perfect. :polarized
Thanks for the heads up on the Trimon...hopefully I won't need to buy them any time soon if I look after my recent acquisition.

Gae43
janahan
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by janahan »

DRUMROLL....

I have recieved the replacement from LG! And yes they work.. finally!

They box still has the model number FPG-200F, and the glasses look very similar to the incorrect ones originally shipped. The main difference is the box says "3D Monitor Glasses", and this is repeated on the frames, the part number is different, and it is made in Korea, as opposed to China.

I do feel the Trimons are slight better, but it may be a placebo effect, but at least these work.

Considering these were sent via DHL all the way from Holland, I cannot imagine how much these "mistake" is going to cost for LG.
Gae43

Post by Gae43 »

janahan wrote:DRUMROLL....

I have recieved the replacement from LG! And yes they work.. finally!

They box still has the model number FPG-200F, and the glasses look very similar to the incorrect ones originally shipped. The main difference is the box says "3D Monitor Glasses", and this is repeated on the frames, the part number is different, and it is made in Korea, as opposed to China.

I do feel the Trimons are slight better, but it may be a placebo effect, but at least these work.

Considering these were sent via DHL all the way from Holland, I cannot imagine how much these "mistake" is going to cost for LG.

Serves them right. They shouldn't sell an expensive item (yes £220 (+ 3D player cost) is a lot of money to some people) and then include, essentially, the wrong glasses.
I'm glad you got them finally and its good to know that the Zalman are as good (if not better) as a replacement, albeit an expensive one.

Gae43
gr0bd4
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by gr0bd4 »

Whoever received replacement glasses from LG, PLEASE provide some kind of paper work! Emails, letters, etc. (with your personal info removed of course). I also have contacted their customer service, and they claimed those are the correct glasses and no one else have contacted them about the ghosting issue. Tthey offered to check my unit under warranty for any ghosting issues, and even offered to send a free shipping lable within 24-72h, that was of course a week ago and no label so far. But I'm pretty sure it's not my monitor but those damn glasses.

Again, please provide paper work! TIA!
adf2006
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by adf2006 »

I just returned my D2342P because of the purple ghosting issue. It definitely came with the LG 3D TV glasses too. Tilting my head or the glasses worked, of course. But I can't watch a whole movie with my head sideways, and turning the glasses got the frames too close to my center of vision and completely took me out of the moment. I work at a movie theater so I tried to DIY some glasses with rotated lenses but it was too difficult.

It would have been nice to see this thread first, but honestly I don't regret returning the monitor. The ghosting was my impetus for the return, but I'm surprised at how pleasant it was to go back to using Stereoscopic Player's optimized green-magenta on my old projector to watch movies. I'll save my money and wait for a good autostereo screen. Maybe I'll check out the Gadmei tablet.
GreatScott2015
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by GreatScott2015 »

I have the same problem with the glasses, but I just contacted LG Customer Service and they are sending me (hopefully) the right pairs of glasses. This is the transcript:

Nelson: Hello Guest. Welcome to LG Electronics U.S.A. Support only. How may I provide you with excellent service today?
Guest: My new 3d monitor I just received has not been working properly. In 3d mode there has been frequent purple colored ghosting, but if i tilt my head it turns back to normal
Nelson: I understand the situation, I’ll be glad to help you with this. May I ask what country did you purchase that unit at?
Guest: The United States
Nelson: Ok Are you using a HDMI connection from your 3D video card to the monitor and the glasses from the monitor?
Guest: I tried it on my computer with DVI and a Playstation 3 with HDMI with similar effects.
Nelson: So the issue happens with both your computer and the PS3 right?
Guest: Yes
Nelson: In this case, let’s try and hard reset the monitor:1. Unplug the monitor from the computer and the power outlet and also remove the cables.2. Hold the power button (or cover up the power sensor with your hand in case it is touch sensitive) for a minute.3. Plug everything back in and then check if it works please.
Guest: It is still there after the reset.
Nelson: In this case, the monitor may need warranty service, we offer a repair and return option for this warranty cases, we send you pre-paid shipping labels so you can ship the unit to us and once received we’ll check into it, diagnose it and fix it for you, once repaired we will ship it back to you, please make sure to include a copy of the receipt with the unit, or fees may apply for the repair as the receipt is required.
Guest: The monitor is not the problem because the problem is the polarization of the glasses is different from the monitor.
Nelson: A technician will need to check into that.
Guest: Others have had the same problem and they got new glasses and it worked fine.
Nelson: No we don't have other glasses for monitors only one type.
Nelson: We offer warranty service if that happens.
Nelson: Still with me?
Guest: Yes
Guest: On your website the 3d glasses are model number AG-F210 and AG-F220 but I received the model FPG-200F.
Nelson: Those are the ones for monitors.
Guest: Someone else with my problem got new glasses from LG and the box looks like this http://lg.ennovva.com/monitores/sites/d ... to0047.jpg
Guest: My box says lg 3d glasses on it
Nelson: do you want to submit it for warranty or not?
Guest: Do I need to send in the whole monitor or just the glasses?
Nelson: Monitor, it will be tested with the same glasses that you have in our center.
Guest: Is there any way I can get another pair of glasses? If they don't work I'll send the monitor in.
Nelson: No, those are the only glasses we have, so you would receive the same glasses, we first need to check the monitor.
Guest: After contacting LG last week, I received a parcel today from them via courier. On first opening the parcel I discovered an LG box (as in the above images in the thread) with the model number FPG-200F on the top. My first thoughts were that they'd sent out the same model glasses again. Inside though, were a pair of nice looking white framed polarized glasses. Naturally, I immediately switched my 3D TV on to test them. I chose a few YT3D clips that I had on USB stick that I knew displayed the purple ghosting problem. What were the glasses like I hear you ask? In a word......superb. All the horrible purple ghosting was gone and the image looked beautiful. Because the purple ghosting had gone, the illusion of the 3D worked perfectly throughout the clips. As I mentioned before, the purple ghosting had the effect (especially when in the background) of making the screen evident and therefore losing the illusion that objects were deep in the background. It was spoiling the 3D illusion. In extreme cases of ghosting, there is still an ever so faint grey ghosting visible, but it only happens at the worst moments and even then is barely noticeable. No, with these new glasses the 3D image is beautiful, sharp and crisp with no purple ghosting and the 3D effect works to it's fullest.
Guest: That is someones response after receiving new glasses from LG.
Nelson: I will need your phone number, full address, email address and name to submit it for warranty.
Nelson: We need to check into the monitor.
Guest: Will I receive new glasses?
Nelson: The tech will determine that.
Guest: Why would I need to send in my whole monitor just for new glasses?
Nelson: Do you want to talk to my supervisor about this?
Guest: Yes.
Nelson: Ok hold on please.
Notice: Nelson transferred Guest to John.
Notice: John has joined the chat session.
Notice: Nelson has exited the chat session.
John: Hello.
Guest: Hello.
Guest: I would like to receive the correct glasses for my 3d monitor.
John: As I understand you will need to ship the unit to us to have it checked by a tech.
Guest: This is a link to a forum topic all about the wrong glasses included with the monitor. Everyone had the same issue, including me, and the correct glasses were packaged in a box that says 3D Monitor Glasses and were made in Korea, while my glasses came in a box that says LG 3D Glasses and came from China.
Guest: http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=14402
John: What is the date of purchase though?
Guest: I purchased the monitor in the beginning of last week and received it today.
John: ok, was it an open box purchased?
Guest: No, it was new in box.
John: who did you purchased it from?
Guest: I purchased it from Best Buy.
John: Ok, checking on that
Guest: Are you still there?
John: yes
Guest: Am I going to receive the correct 3d glasses?
John: Yes you will I will send it
Guest: Shall I provide my address?
John: Yes pelase
Guest: [REDACTED]
John: Can you please tell me what is the date of purchase on the monitor ?
Guest: 03/13/2012
John: This is the confirmation [REDACTED], I apologize that you had to go through all this for the glasses.
Guest: It's alright, thank you for sending them!
Guest: Goodbye.
John: It has been a pleasure to assist you today. Should you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us again via Live Chat or phone at 18002430000. Thank you for choosing LG Electronics. We appreciate your business. Have a great day!
Notice: John has exited the chat session.

Hopefully everyone else with this problem will get the right pairs of glasses also. I hope I helped!
gr0bd4
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by gr0bd4 »

Here is my transcript, and wouldn't you know, it's the same unpleasant Nelson prick on the other end.

:34 PM Nelson: Hello Guest. Welcome to LG Electronics U.S.A. Support only. How may I provide you with excellent service today?
6:34 PM Guest: Hello
6:34 PM Guest: about 7 to 10 days ago I asked about an issue I have with my 3D monitor
6:35 PM Guest: rep promised to look into it and get back with me about solution or some kind of answer
6:35 PM Guest: of course I didn't receive any email since
6:36 PM Nelson: I understand the situation, I’ll be glad to help you with this. May I ask what country did you purchase that unit at?
6:36 PM Guest: USA
6:37 PM Nelson: What was the issue then?
6:37 PM Guest: The monitor I have purchased was bundled with 3D glasses
6:37 PM Guest: which cause serious "ghosting" issue
6:38 PM Guest: My understanding is that the glasses are incorrect
6:38 PM Guest: They're Cinema 3D meant for 3D TVs
6:38 PM Guest: while they should be bundled with 3D glasses for monitors
6:38 PM Nelson: Did they come with the monitor?
6:39 PM Guest: Yes they did
6:39 PM Nelson: Do you have the model number?
6:39 PM Guest: Of the monitor or glasses
6:39 PM Guest: ?
6:39 PM Nelson: glasses
6:40 PM Guest: The box says LG 3D Glasses FPG-200F, while they're supposed to be LG 3D MONITOR FPG-200F
6:41 PM Guest: on the side of the glasses frame it says [cinema 3D] whie it should say [monitor 3D]
6:42 PM Nelson: These are the correct glasses.
6:42 PM Guest: Then why don't they have correct polarization?
6:42 PM Guest: Why are they create serious "ghosting", but turning them about 15 degrees cures it?
6:43 PM Guest: the 15 degrees end up behind my ear which is hardly conviniet. And I assure you I'm not the only one with the problem
6:43 PM Nelson: Well those are the correct ones.
6:43 PM Guest: I'm sorry not behind, rather below my ear
6:45 PM Guest: Again why do I find pictures of the glasses that say MONITOR 3d not cinema, and owners claim they had both and the monitor ones don't produce ghosting
6:45 PM Nelson: Regardless of what they say, those are correct and the only glasses for monitors.
6:46 PM Guest: Ok, why do I experience serious ghosting that is fixed by tilting my glasses under my ear then?
6:47 PM Nelson: Is the monitor properly placed in front of you on a 90 degrees angle or around that?
6:47 PM Guest: of course
6:48 PM Guest: again I am not the only one experiencing that issues
6:48 PM Nelson: Well you're the first person that contact us with that.
6:49 PM Guest: Maybe, maybe not.
6:49 PM Nelson: does that issue happens with all 3D movies?
6:50 PM Guest: No it's not as noticeble with movies, with games mostly
6:50 PM Nelson: Ok, In this case, the monitor may need warranty service, we offer a repair and return option for this warranty cases, we send you pre-paid shipping labels so you can ship the unit to us and once received we’ll check into it, diagnose it and fix it for you, once repaired we will ship it back to you, please make sure to include a copy of the receipt with the unit, or fees may apply for the repair as the receipt is required.
6:51 PM Guest: If you wanna go that route. Better polarized glasses would a better solution that this
6:52 PM Guest: that=than
6:52 PM Nelson: Those are the only glasses avaialble.
6:53 PM Guest: Whatever you say. But you guys could seriously look at some forums, and you would find out that I'm not the only one with that issues with this monitor
6:53 PM Nelson: Ok do you want to submit it for warranty or not?
6:54 PM Guest: ok
6:54 PM Nelson: Ok what?
6:54 PM Guest: Ok I want to do the warranty
6:54 PM Nelson: OK I will need your phone number, full address, email address, and your name.
6:55 PM Nelson: And date of purchase.
[PERSONAL INFO REMOVED]
6:58 PM Nelson: Thank you, you will receive an email to [EMAIL REMOVED] with shipping instructions and the prepaid shipping labels so you don't have to pay for shipping, this will take 24 to 48 hrs business time.

Of course they did not send the label and the transcript is from 3/9/2012

GreatScott, please keep me updated if you've received your glasses, thx!
GreatScott2015
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by GreatScott2015 »

I got the new glasses. It still says LG 3D Glasses, but the model number is FPG-200N. They're the same glasses but they're just made in Korea. It didn't come with clip on glasses, but why bother when they don't work. My advice would be to just buy the glasses as it's not worth the hassle.
gr0bd4
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by gr0bd4 »

GreatScott2015 wrote:I got the new glasses. It still says LG 3D Glasses, but the model number is FPG-200N. They're the same glasses but they're just made in Korea. It didn't come with clip on glasses, but why bother when they don't work. My advice would be to just buy the glasses as it's not worth the hassle.
bummer.
Thx for getting back with us though.
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

gr0bd4 wrote:PM Nelson: Hello Guest. Welcome to LG Electronics U.S.A. Support only. How may I provide you with excellent service today?
This greeting sounds similar like ones you get from bazaars in turkey. What's wrong with "how can i help you?"?
Guig2000

Post by Guig2000 »

hseokman
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by hseokman »

I just bought this monitor, and I did get the wrong glasses.
I chatted with LG support, and I told them I got a wrong glasses with the monitor.
He asked me to send the receipt. After checking the receipt he offered me replacement of the glasses.
I gave all my information. Hopey I will get the right glasses.
Maybe they now know or acknowledge wrong glasses are packed with this monitor.

Return to “I'm New To Stereoscopic 3D!”