Differences in "experience" of different ways of viewing?

Don't know the first thing about S-3D? Just bought your first pair of 3D glasses? Trying to figure out what to buy? Post HERE!
maxigs
One Eyed Hopeful

Differences in "experience" of different ways of viewing?

Post by maxigs »

Hi,

after days of researching and and already trying a few things i'm more confused than ever about what to expect from all the things 3D. But my biggest problem right now is what to expect from the different solutions.

I dont go into a lot of movies and only been to one in 3D (Tron) which was quite decent but still far from the magical experience some people call it. Probably because for movies its still a bit showing of what is possible so it does not really feel natural.

The last hours i spend checking out youtube (and a couple other places) watching stereoscopic stuff cross-eyed - even managed to play a couple minutes of Oblivion with the IZ3D driver on my MacBook.
Depending on the content it worked quite well, especially the Skyrim-Videos on youtube seem promising.

Right now i'm looking to print some 3D-Glasses (the colored ones) and see how this compares.
Unfortunately this is as far as i can go without actually spending big money on getting the whole setup (what is on presentation in the electronic-stores its rather disappointing) - which i would prefer to do knowing its actually worth the experience.

I know its subjective to everyone but how do the different types compare? Especially the cross-eyed viewing and colored-glasses to something like nvidias 3d vision?

PS: i care mostly about the gaming part, but dont mind hearing about experience in the move front either.
Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Differences in "experience" of different ways of viewing

Post by Neil »

What did you see on display exactly?

The software is as much to credit (and to blame) as the hardware. This tool will probably help picking games and finding the best settings for games in stereoscopic 3D on PC: http://www.gamegrade3D.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

For hardware, the best choices are usually attached to large sized screens. Have you gone through this guide: http://www.mtbs3d.com/index.php?option= ... &Itemid=77" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regards,
Neil
maxigs
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by maxigs »

Neil wrote:What did you see on display exactly?
Hard to say, i was mostly just browsing in the tv-section. Mostly badly setup demo stuff so and no gaming.

But i had the chance to see NFL on the Playstation last night on a Samsung 3d-tv which was not too bad.

For the rest: I've been all over all tutorial and explanations that i could find in the last couple of days. But i still did not have a chance to actually see a Nvidia 3d vision or of the ATI solutions so i still dont know it its "wow enought to spend that much money on it".
Cross-eyed watching seemed promising as a preview of how it might be but that is what i still dont know how it actually compares.

I still got to try out the colored-glasses version as soon as ill get them.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Cross-eye is good for testing quick things (like images) but is not so great for long videos or games. Also, since the images are small, the range of depth is limited. While anagylph (colored lenses) has its draw-backs, it can provide a better experience than cross-eye in terms of comfort and depth (since you use the full screen). However anaglyph loses a lot of the color information and also has issues with ghosting. Cross-eye will probably be the closest thing to a "real" solution like the Nvidia glasses. However the overall experience if, of course, going to be better with a high end solution.

If you want to try the anaglyph glasses, I am sending them out for free. Just send me a PM with your mailing address and I can send the glasses. While these cheap paper glasses I am sending aren't great, they should be enough to let you know if its something worth pursuing.

Return to “I'm New To Stereoscopic 3D!”