Playing anaglyph for now, can't decide what to buy?

Don't know the first thing about S-3D? Just bought your first pair of 3D glasses? Trying to figure out what to buy? Post HERE!
Cotelio
One Eyed Hopeful

Playing anaglyph for now, can't decide what to buy?

Post by Cotelio »

I just recently got Anaglyph through iZ3D's driver working for everything, had to uninstall my antivirus and close some random stuff, and now I'm wanting to go for a more expensive 3D solution when I have the money.

Right now, I'm thinking of a couple things.

iZ3D monitor from Ebay will be nice, but it renders my newish 1080p monitor useless, and I cant dual screen.
Zalman is expensiivvee.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... CatId=4231" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This cheap 120 HZ monitor, and I can find cheap glasses at Ebay or Aliexpress.com, but... how do I sync them? >.<;;

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... CatId=4231" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
More expensive, but it comes with its own glasses and is full 1080p, though I still have no idea how the sync thing works.

And finally...
http://www.vuzix.com/consumer/products_vr920.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Vuzix products. The cheapest one is only 428x240, and most of my games' lowest rezolution is 640x480, so I dunno if that would work, and can anyone point out to me the diffrences between Wrap 920, Wrap 920 VR Bundle, and linked iWear VR920? >.<

Please, enlighten me. x3

Or, just stick with anaglyph and buy myself a 3DS, in which case, what's the best color combination for the iZ3D driver, and I read something somewhere about ColorCode removal in the upcoming updates? o.o;;

Edit: Oh, or buying a cheap, small monitor somewhere and following the Parellax DIY on this forum for it, though that feels like a waste for some reason.
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Re: Playing anaglyph for now, can't decide what to buy?

Post by Fredz »

Or buy a used 120Hz CRT monitor for $50 on ebay and cheap shutter glasses.
Cotelio
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Cotelio »

Fredz wrote:Or buy a used 120Hz CRT monitor for $50 on ebay and cheap shutter glasses.
I have a CRT, but the best it can do at 120 HZ is 640x480, and I still don't know how aforementioned glasses will be synced up to my monitor. :X

Anyway, I don't have room for a CRT in my computer's desk area.
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

Fredz wrote:Or buy a used 120Hz CRT monitor for $50 on ebay and cheap shutter glasses.
Serious now: With a reply like this you need to be more specific (and i know you certainly can). With the existing jungle of shutters and their compability you definitely need to explain which hardware that works with what, softwaresupport etc.

@Cotelio: My cheapo tip would be trying to get a hold of one of those older zalmans 3d-displays, used but in working shape which should be cheap enough. They also (compared with other solutions) have a great compability with several softwares. Another option is of course waiting using anaglyph meanwhile until you can get a decent tv-set. There's still plenty of things, standards etc that needs to settle regarding stereoequipment today.

About the iz3d-monitor: Besides the two outputs needed for the iz3d i can't really recommend it because it ghosts quite a bit.

About colorcode (blue/amber) it's just another "version" of anaglyph (red/cyan) which you're using right now. Some say colorcode is better than anaglyph while others don't. In my opinion it's basically the same crap and if i have to use anaglyph i choose red/cyan before colorcode because it's brighter. If you have ghosting using anaglyph you can get better result using other glasses.

About Vuzix products: I have the impression that the softwaresupport generally is very poor but others can answer better on this.

Newer tv-sets where glasses are included usually provides the signal for the glasses independant of the source. The tv is feeded with a combined left+right image from the computer/console/satbox etc. Check what kind of 3d-formats the tv supports to see which softwares/hardwares that actually supports it.

3d-vision certified monitors means that they've been approved by nvidia to be included as compatible in their drivers. These monitors should work fine in other shutterapplications as well. 3d-vision should be a decent option too btw.

About shutterglasses i have only practical experience with wireless e-dimensional glasses. They work using vga through a dongle which provides the signal for the glasses. They work best using old-school nvidia drivers but maybe you'll need to exchange your whole computer for this... The requirements is maximum winxp, maximum nvidia 7950 card using 91.31 drivers (i can use 169.21+162.50stereo if i use a pinmod or vga-to-tv boxes). The gamesupport at that time was splendid but today every other choices are better. However it's still the only way to play older games in a decent fashion.
Another way to use these glasses is choosing the interleaved option of the iz3d-driver but then you also need to use the e-d activator (still working in win7?, haven't tried). This way you're not bound to nvidiadrivers/card and can use newer op-system. Using the native shuttermodes of the iz3d-drivers generally results in random eyeswapping so at the time i used e-d i found using the interlaced option way better. And no, i can't really recommend getting e-dimensional glasses because of the poor softwaresupport and hardwareneed (vga).
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
Cotelio
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Cotelio »

Likay wrote: About colorcode (blue/amber) it's just another "version" of anaglyph (red/cyan) which you're using right now. Some say colorcode is better than anaglyph while others don't. In my opinion it's basically the same crap and if i have to use anaglyph i choose red/cyan before colorcode because it's brighter. If you have ghosting using anaglyph you can get better result using other glasses.

About Vuzix products: I have the impression that the softwaresupport generally is very poor but others can answer better on this.

3d-vision certified monitors means that they've been approved by nvidia to be included as compatible in their drivers. These monitors should work fine in other shutterapplications as well.
Anaglyph: Can't you modify the color in the driver? It'd be awesome if I could manually change the settings for minimum ghosting with my particular set of glasses, you know?

Vuzix: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVKPlWjQfMo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Also, I like the idea of being able to wear around the sunglasses model ( or even the VR920 model ) with my iPod too, so between that, head tracking, perfect nonghosting by nature, I am kinda intrested despite the price point and I'd like to hear more about these. Also, because I could totally max out settings on any game using these things because of it being 640x480.

3d-vision certified: I have a Radeon card, though... I was under the impression that nVidia 3D Vision was one big proprietary clusterf...lamingo?

Anyway, I'll dig through Ebay's and Craigslist's results for Zalman again, but I doubt I'll find anything much cheaper. I kinda feel like if I'm going to have half horizontal resolution anyway, I might as well try the homebrew parellax barrier
Last edited by Cotelio on Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

Likay wrote:Serious now: With a reply like this you need to be more specific (and i know you certainly can). With the existing jungle of shutters and their compability you definitely need to explain which hardware that works with what, softwaresupport etc.
Edimensional glasses at around $40 on ebay, using the ED-activator and the hacked 3D Vision driver. A used CRT monitor capable of 120Hz in 1024x768 should be easy to find for less than $50. Since he seems to want a very inexpensive solution, I guess it's the closest thing to a $0 budget he will be able to find.

The least expensive Zalman monitor I've seen on the Web is at $400, quite far from this less than $100 solution (monitor included).

He can also buy the new 3D Vision wired glasses for $99 and still be under $150 if he doesn't want to use hacked drivers.

Another solution would be to buy a cheap 3D DLP projector if he can find one for cheap (I bought the Acer X1130P for 170€ two months ago). That would be the best solution in terms of ghosting (practically inexistant), not so much in terms of resolution, but playing on a 100" screen is still a very immersive experience, even at a lower resolution, and great for 2D gaming and movies too.
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

Cotelio wrote:Anyway, I don't have room for a CRT in my computer's desk area.
Ok, forget it then, but now your choices are in the $300-$400 league.
Cotelio wrote:Anaglyph: Can't you modify the color in the driver? It'd be awesome if I could manually change the settings for minimum ghosting with my particular set of glasses, you know? x3
I don't think you can modify the colors, and even if you could, ghosting is not the only problem, retinal rivalry is much worse.
Cotelio wrote:Also, because I could totally max out settings on any game using these things because of it being 640x480. x3
I really don't understand, you are worried by a CRT monitor limited to 640x480 at 120Hz but not by an HMD with the same limitation ?
Cotelio wrote:3d-vision certified: I have a Radeon card, though... I was under the impression that nVidia 3D Vision was one big proprietary clusterf...lamingo?
Yep 3D Vision is deeply proprietary but it's still the best offer available. With a Radeon card you won't have as many displays supported and to play games you'll need to buy additional drivers for a $30-40 additional cost (if your GPU is even supported).
Cotelio wrote:I might as well try the homebrew parellax barrier :x
It's nice for a DIY testing project, but not so much for real gaming. You can forget it.
Cotelio
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Cotelio »

Fredz wrote:
Cotelio wrote:Anyway, I don't have room for a CRT in my computer's desk area.
Ok, forget it then, but now your choices are in the $300-$400 league.
Cotelio wrote:Anaglyph: Can't you modify the color in the driver? It'd be awesome if I could manually change the settings for minimum ghosting with my particular set of glasses, you know? x3
I don't think you can modify the colors, and even if you could, ghosting is not the only problem, retinal rivalry is much worse.
Cotelio wrote:Also, because I could totally max out settings on any game using these things because of it being 640x480. x3
I really don't understand, you are worried by a CRT monitor limited to 640x480 at 120Hz but not by an HMD with the same limitation ?
CRT: I might be able to make room, but it'd require some heavy alterations to the desk area... Which are planned anyway, I suppose. But right now, a CRT can't balance on the only area I have to place a monitor.

Anaglyph: If by retinal rivalry you're talking about how some people can't get past one eye being red/whatever color and the other eye being blue/whatever color, I don't really have that problem for whatever reason.

HMD: Isn't it a diffrent experience, though? I'd like to hear from someone who's used it before disregarding the technology for the resolution. And then there's that whole portability thing again, and I'd have a few other uses for it if it's good.

I'm gonna go see if I can find those glasses you mentioned, and I'm expecting to have to buy drivers for pretty much any 3D solution beyond anaglyph, anyhow... Wait, 3D DLP is free for ATI customers, so I wouldn't have to buy the driver for the projector you mentioned either, would I? I'll look into that too.

EDIT: Does Edemensional use up the VGA port or go between it and the monitor?
Last edited by Cotelio on Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Well first off, I would stay away from the iz3D monitor. Honestly, I've never seen it, but I've read every review out there and none of them were good.

The VR920 is an interesting product, I'll give Vuzix that. I used one for years, but ended up selling it due to lackluster software support. The times that it worked perfectly, it was actually pretty immersive. With the 3D and headtracking (in games that support it) it can be nice. However the virtual screen size is relatively small, similar to looking at a laptop display. And it used a form of page-flipping, so you only got 30Hz (30fps) per eye, which is really quite crappy once you have seen 120Hz displays. The resolution wasn't as big a deal as people think, that still looked OK (at least when you used 1024x768). But I cannot really recommend it due to bad software support. The Vuzix driver is a big hack, and you have to manually copy/edit files to patch each game. The IZ3D driver was great when it works with it, but at some point it stopped working (may have been something on my machine). The Stereoscopic Player also stopped working, so I couldn't watch 3D videos either. So I sold it. I think the upcoming Vuzix 1200VR will solve a lot of these problems. It comes out in August. If you really must buy an HMD, get the Wrap 920 VR, as it supports the standard side-by-side 3D mode which will work with a lot of software.

Now if you are willing to go Nvidia, the situation is a little better. You could, for example, get the new wired version of the Nvidia 3D Vision glasses and use them on your CRT monitor. The glasses will be $99 when they come out later this month. Then you could play in 3D while you save for a "real" 3D monitor (even though the quality on CRT might even be better, but that is a whole other argument). That Viewsonic 120Hz monitor is probably the lowest-end you could get, but should still blow red/cyan glasses out into space. The Planar SA2311W is supposed to be one of the better ones of Nvidia 3D Vision compatible.

AMD/ATI also has support, but just not as much as Nvidia. The Zalman Trimon monitors are pretty nice, and work well on AMD. However they are a little pricey. You can get the 21.5" for around $400 (keep in mind it comes with glasses). Zalman is great in terms of compatibility, in some ways even better than the 120Hz monitors. The passive glasses are light and comfortable. Really not a bad choice, however picture quality is not as good as with 120Hz and Nvidia glasses. This is because it uses an interleaved format (like interlaced) so its half-resolution per eye. The Zalman also has really small viewing angles, and will ghost if you leave the "sweet spot". A little annoying at times, but overall a decent monitor.

And lastly, the Acer HS244HQ (which you mentioned) would probably be the best way you could spend $400, if thats all you had to spend. It supports HDMI 1.4a, which is the new standard for 3D. Unlike some proprietary formats, this will surely be supported for many years to come (unlike stuff like the VR920 which has floundering support, or older headsets like Z800 which are dead in the water). I also hear Acer glasses are good, allegedly better than Nvidia's (although this info comes from Acer themselves, so take it with a grain of salt). HDMI 1.4a support means it will work with Nvidia, AMD, PS3, Blu-Ray 3D players, etc. The system will send both left and right views in one really big image (over/under format). Then the monitor will extract both views, and quickly flash them on screen as it syncs with the shutter glasses. So you get 60Hz per eye. However, for gaming, it is limited to 720P. Blu-Ray movies can be seen at the full 1080P. But it sounds like you have an older computer, so 1080P 3D might be pushing it anyway.
Cotelio
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Cotelio »

cybereality wrote:Well first off, I would stay away from the iz3D monitor. Honestly, I've never seen it, but I've read every review out there and none of them were good.

The VR920 is an interesting product, I'll give Vuzix that. I used one for years, but ended up selling it due to lackluster software support. The times that it worked perfectly, it was actually pretty immersive. With the 3D and headtracking (in games that support it) it can be nice. However the virtual screen size is relatively small, similar to looking at a laptop display. And it used a form of page-flipping, so you only got 30Hz (30fps) per eye, which is really quite crappy once you have seen 120Hz displays. The resolution wasn't as big a deal as people think, that still looked OK (at least when you used 1024x768). But I cannot really recommend it due to bad software support. The Vuzix driver is a big hack, and you have to manually copy/edit files to patch each game. The IZ3D driver was great when it works with it, but at some point it stopped working (may have been something on my machine). The Stereoscopic Player also stopped working, so I couldn't watch 3D videos either. So I sold it. I think the upcoming Vuzix 1200VR will solve a lot of these problems. It comes out in August. If you really must buy an HMD, get the Wrap 920 VR, as it supports the standard side-by-side 3D mode which will work with a lot of software.

Now if you are willing to go Nvidia, the situation is a little better. You could, for example, get the new wired version of the Nvidia 3D Vision glasses and use them on your CRT monitor. The glasses will be $99 when they come out later this month. Then you could play in 3D while you save for a "real" 3D monitor (even though the quality on CRT might even be better, but that is a whole other argument). That Viewsonic 120Hz monitor is probably the lowest-end you could get, but should still blow red/cyan glasses out into space. The Planar SA2311W is supposed to be one of the better ones of Nvidia 3D Vision compatible.

AMD/ATI also has support, but just not as much as Nvidia. The Zalman Trimon monitors are pretty nice, and work well on AMD. However they are a little pricey. You can get the 21.5" for around $400 (keep in mind it comes with glasses). Zalman is great in terms of compatibility, in some ways even better than the 120Hz monitors. The passive glasses are light and comfortable. Really not a bad choice, however picture quality is not as good as with 120Hz and Nvidia glasses. This is because it uses an interleaved format (like interlaced) so its half-resolution per eye. The Zalman also has really small viewing angles, and will ghost if you leave the "sweet spot". A little annoying at times, but overall a decent monitor.

And lastly, the Acer HS244HQ (which you mentioned) would probably be the best way you could spend $400, if thats all you had to spend. It supports HDMI 1.4a, which is the new standard for 3D. Unlike some proprietary formats, this will surely be supported for many years to come (unlike stuff like the VR920 which has floundering support, or older headsets like Z800 which are dead in the water). I also hear Acer glasses are good, allegedly better than Nvidia's (although this info comes from Acer themselves, so take it with a grain of salt). HDMI 1.4a support means it will work with Nvidia, AMD, PS3, Blu-Ray 3D players, etc. The system will send both left and right views in one really big image (over/under format). Then the monitor will extract both views, and quickly flash them on screen as it syncs with the shutter glasses. So you get 60Hz per eye. However, for gaming, it is limited to 720P. Blu-Ray movies can be seen at the full 1080P. But it sounds like you have an older computer, so 1080P 3D might be pushing it anyway.
Thank you for discerning a diffrence between the Wrap 920 VR bundle and the iWear 920, as far as I could tell they both have head tracking and the 640x480 screens. But now I know which to buy if I go that route, thank you.

I'd like to go nVidia, but there's really no point because this computer is at the end of it's upgrade path anyway, that point where any one upgraded part gives rise for a need to another part until it's a new computer, so I'll save a bit of money and or have higher-end parts by just waiting until this rig's at the end of it's life as a "workhorse" and upgrading all at once.

I have to say, the DLP projectors are... cheaper than expected. I'd thought they would be in the 500-1000 range for cheaper ones, but no: http://cgi.ebay.com/Visionmax-HD-3K-HDM ... 2c5d591e60" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
and the other projectors in this search : http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_trkparms=6 ... 2c5d591e60" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That Acer monitor looks good too, expecially if it's partially futureproofed with a new standard, but... Dosen't DVI do 1080p 120hz? And outside of an audio channel, aren't DVI-Digital and HDMI electrically identical...? And is that 720p-only 3D in the HDMI 1.4a standard, or the monitor itself? And I'm sorry, I have to ask... where in the world do the glasses it comes with sync off of? I don't see an IR transmitter in that monitor's package, and... >3D 'standards' use Supersonic! Cotelio is now confused!

Edit: You're right, 1080p 3D is pushing it with some games, but at the same time something like, say, completely maxed settings on L4D2 with maxed grain still runs slick as J-lube in anaglyph

Edit v2: Oh dear. I just realized that some of my text emotes are converting into smilies, and most of them don't mean what I intended. I'll just go and delete them all.
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

Cotelio wrote:Anaglyph: If by retinal rivalry you're talking about how some people can't get past one eye being red/whatever color and the other eye being blue/whatever color, I don't really have that problem for whatever reason.
Everyone experiences retinal rivalry, but the force of the effect depends on the type of color combinations you are watching. Using shutter glasses or polarized glasses is really much much better than anaglyph (except Dolby 3D/Infitec).
Cotelio wrote:I'm gonna go see if I can find those glasses you mentioned, and I'm expecting to have to buy drivers for pretty much any 3D solution beyond anaglyph, anyhow... Wait, 3D DLP is free for ATI customers, so I wouldn't have to buy the driver for the projector you mentioned either, would I? I'll look into that too.
If you use the 3D Vision driver with a NVIDIA GPU it'll be free to use, even without buying the 3D Vision glasses thanks to the recently published hack. For AMD HD3D and a supported Radeon GPU, you'll always need a third-party driver from either iZ3D or DDD which costs approx. $30. If you want to use a HDMI 1.4a display with a NVIDIA GPU that would also cost you $30 for 3DTV Play.
Cotelio wrote:Does Edemensional use up the VGA port or go between it and the monitor?
I goes between it and the monitor.
Cotelio wrote:I have to say, the DLP projectors are... cheaper than expected. I'd thought they would be in the 500-1000 range for cheaper ones, but no: http://cgi.ebay.com/Visionmax-HD-3K-HDM ... 2c5d591e60" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This one is not a 3D projector, it's not even DLP but LCD. To my knowledge only some DLP and LCoS projectors support 3D. Also it's weird to find it for $400 when Visionmax sells it for $6,499 on their site.

If you want to find a 3D DLP projector you can have a look at this list, that's where I started my research when I wanted to buy one. I noted the several references I was interested in and made an exhaustive search for these models on the different auction sites :
http://www.3dmovielist.com/projectors.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cotelio wrote:That Acer monitor looks good too, expecially if it's partially futureproofed with a new standard, but... Dosen't DVI do 1080p 120hz?
I'm not sure that this HDMI 1.4a Acer monitor supports dual-link DVI, maybe Cybereality can confirm this. if it's not the case then it would really be limited to 720p for 3D gaming.
Cotelio
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Cotelio »

Fredz wrote:
Cotelio wrote:That Acer monitor looks good too, expecially if it's partially futureproofed with a new standard, but... Dosen't DVI do 1080p 120hz?
I'm not sure that this HDMI 1.4a Acer monitor supports dual-link DVI, maybe Cybereality can confirm this. if it's not the case then it would really be limited to 720p for 3D gaming.
What about the VGA port?

And thank you for the list, even if what I found wasn't good, there still seem to be a few <300 projectors on there. x3
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

I'm not sure 120Hz is supported over the VGA port on these LCD 3D monitors, for one of them I have read it wasn't the case but I can't remember which one. And I'm not sure you'll have enough bandwidth for 1080p at 120Hz in VGA, the maximum possible was 1680x1050 in 120Hz over a VGA port IIRC.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Be careful with those 3D projectors. A lot of them are flat out bogus, and won't work for 3D gaming. What they work for, I don't know. Probably false marketing if you ask me. There is a compatibility list on AMD's site, but it is not comprehensive:
http://www.amd.com/US/PRODUCTS/TECHNOLO ... dware.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The thing with HDMI 1.4a is that is still Single-Link (from what I understand). So even though its basically the equivalent signal as DVI, its not up to par with Dual-Link DVI. So it is not possible to do 120Hz 2D, or 1080P60 3D with that. The monitor might also support DVI, but it won't work for 3D, probably for 120Hz 2D though. The issue is with the HDMI chipsets that process the signal. The current ones just can't handle the full quality 1080P60 3D. Over DL-DVI it could technically work, its more of a software issue. If IZ3D manages to come out with their own shutter glasses, then monitors like the Acer would be supported.

Also, forgot to mention: you could get a 3D HDTV. Vizio has one for under $500, which will work with AMD, PS3, etc. (E3D320VX)
http://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-Class-Theat ... 004T1YAEI/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This model is also HDMI 1.4a, however it is an interleaved display (like Zalman) so you can also do 1080P interleaved, which will be better than 720P.
Cotelio
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Cotelio »

cybereality wrote:Be careful with those 3D projectors. A lot of them are flat out bogus, and won't work for 3D gaming. What they work for, I don't know. Probably false marketing if you ask me. There is a compatibility list on AMD's site, but it is not comprehensive:
http://www.amd.com/US/PRODUCTS/TECHNOLO ... dware.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
>trying to get people who're still using the higher end 4xxx series cards to make a needless upgrade

They did the same thing with DX11. >.>

And that retinal rivalry thing, I DO notice it with the normal red/blue setting, but it's really not bad at all with the Optimized and grayscale modes.

Thank you all for your input. I'm probably going to get the mentioned Acer monitor or the Wrap 920 VR bundle, and/or a 3DS, depending on where the market's at at the time. Most likely where it's at right now, since it's likely to be within a couple weeks, although I'll definetly check Ebay for anything worthwhile again before buying something new, in case something crops up there. Still don't know how to tell what CRTs are worth it on there though, as far as my searches went nobody put up enough information and most of them were pickup only.

I'll definetly be keeping my eye on/out for the Wrap 1200 and the Cinemizer OLED, expecially the latter if it's going to have an HDMI 1.4 port. Not going to optimistically wait for them though, seeing as there's nothing on the Cinemizer and the 1200's already gotten an extension.

In the meanwhile, I'll keep enjoying my Anaglyph while it still looks good to me due to not having seen enough of better 3D modes. x3
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

Cotelio wrote:And that retinal rivalry thing, I DO notice it with the normal red/blue setting, but it's really not bad at all with the Optimized and grayscale modes.
True. Optimized anaglyph modes are made to decrease retinal rivalry. It's not "free" though and the cost is a slightly worse colorperception.
When using grayscale anaglyph the retinal rivalry is reduced to zero. Unfortunately is also makes the colorimpression reduced equally. :anaglyph
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

Cotelio wrote:Still don't know how to tell what CRTs are worth it on there though, as far as my searches went nobody put up enough information and most of them were pickup only.
Here you can find a page about which type of CRT monitors are suitable for S3D, their recommandations are based on their specific needs (molecular modeling) but you can choose something a little less beefy for 3D games and movies :
http://pymol.sourceforge.net/stereo3d.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Basically you need something with a horizontal frequency at least equal to 100-110 kHz depending on which resolution you want to use at 120 Hz. With 100 kHz you'll be able to support 1024x768 at 120Hz, for higher resolutions like 1400x1050 at 120 Hz you'll need a 136 kHz horizontal frequency.
Cotelio
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Cotelio »

Fredz wrote:
Cotelio wrote:Still don't know how to tell what CRTs are worth it on there though, as far as my searches went nobody put up enough information and most of them were pickup only.
Here you can find a page about which type of CRT monitors are suitable for S3D, their recommandations are based on their specific needs (molecular modeling) but you can choose something a little less beefy for 3D games and movies :
http://pymol.sourceforge.net/stereo3d.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Basically you need something with a horizontal frequency at least equal to 100-110 kHz depending on which resolution you want to use at 120 Hz. With 100 kHz you'll be able to support 1024x768 at 120Hz, for higher resolutions like 1400x1050 at 120 Hz you'll need a 136 kHz horizontal frequency.
Hrm, there's exactly one monitor under $100 (including shipping) there, but it's in the Optimal category at least. I'll keep that in mind.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

What might be a good idea is to get the Nintendo 3DS to hold you over for a bit, and then get a serious 3D monitor when you build a new computer. That way you can get modern part, that will be able to handle things like Blu-Ray 3D, and high-end games at 1080P 60Hz, maybe get an Nvidia card, etc.

Return to “I'm New To Stereoscopic 3D!”