How can I watch soccer World Cup 2010 in 3D?

Don't know the first thing about S-3D? Just bought your first pair of 3D glasses? Trying to figure out what to buy? Post HERE!
guicha
One Eyed Hopeful

How can I watch soccer World Cup 2010 in 3D?

Post by guicha »

I heard that ESPN would broadcast soccer World Cup 2010 in 3D this June.

I guess commercial 3D TV with shutter glasses will do the job, but what I have is a 3d display using dual projectors and a TV tuner.

Is there any software that converts 3D TV signal (page-flipping or whatever) to left-reight (or upper-lower) stereo format in real-time? :roll:
BlackShark
Certif-Eyable!

Re: How can I watch soccer World Cup 2010 in 3D?

Post by BlackShark »

The incoming signal which was standardized for all TV broadcasts is to have side by side pictures squashed in a single 1080p frame.
I thnink Stereoscopic player has a feature to use a TV card for input but i do not know if it works out well or not, i have never tried it.

You should have a try, if Stereoscopic player works then there is a high chance you'll be able to watch the world cup... unless ESPN brodcasts are encrypted.
Passive 3D forever !
DIY polarised dual-projector setup :
2x Epson EH-TW3500 (2D 1080p)
Xtrem Screen Daylight 2.0, for polarized 3D
3D Vision gaming with signal converter : VNS Geobox 501
fReAq
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by fReAq »

I can now confirm that by using the Avermedia 1080i capture card with hdmi in from the cable box, and the stereoscopic player you can watch 3d tv on your projector setup in HD.

A few things to note:
To receive the signal in the stereoplayer choose file>live video>AverMedia BDA Analog Capture Secondary and then press play.
Then start the Aver MediaCenter and choose TV> HDMI. If you do it in that order the stereoplayer will begin playing the feed.
To get Hi Def, in Stereo Player choose File > Format Properties, choose Output Size: 1920x1080.
Set up the StereoPlayer to choose stereo mode Side by Side.
You will need to output sound from the cable box itself.

This beats a $3.5k tv by a long shot!
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

Great info! Thanks!
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
guicha
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by guicha »

Thank you, guys!

I tested my set up, and I believe I'm ready for the world cup in terms of hardware.

The bad news is that my local Comcast office has no idea about ESPN 3D.

Yesterday I made a call to ask if I have to pay more or upgrade to a higher package to watch ESPN 3D.

They didn't know about ESPN 3D at all, and they said the channel is not listed for my area now and they have no plan in the near future.

Do I have to install Directv?
Anthony1
Cross Eyed!

Post by Anthony1 »

guicha wrote:Thank you, guys!

I tested my set up, and I believe I'm ready for the world cup in terms of hardware.

The bad news is that my local Comcast office has no idea about ESPN 3D.

Yesterday I made a call to ask if I have to pay more or upgrade to a higher package to watch ESPN 3D.

They didn't know about ESPN 3D at all, and they said the channel is not listed for my area now and they have no plan in the near future.

Do I have to install Directv?

My guess, is that if the Comcast reps still don't know anything a week prior to the first broadcast, then you might need to go Direct TV, but alot of times these announcements are last minute, in terms of the channel being added. I thought for sure that Comcast was going to carry it.
Dom
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Dom »

Are'nt they gonna use the internet to broadcast just like the pga golf match that was on in April. I sure hope so cause ordering a new cable box and channel just for one 3d game ain't worth it. Internet is just fine by me.
http://www.cns-nynolyt.com/files/doms-systemspecs.html My System specs In HTML

Cyberia on Youtube

__________________________________________________________________________________________
fReAq
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by fReAq »

In Australia, the World Cup will be broadcast on SBS Digital Free to Air TV .
I managed to get this working, but not by using a capture card - seems no dbv-t cards can expose the digital HD capturing device, and so stereoscopic player (3d video player) cant access it via the 'Live Video' option.
I bought a cheap ass digital set top box for $99 - it had to support MPEG-4 H264 which not many of em do (the 3d channel is in this codec) and HDMI out. So the AverMedia card can then capture that the same way as it does the cable box.
So yeah I got to watch the state of origin match 2 nights ago in 3d :) and I'm all set for the world cup woohoo!
All's I need now is a 3d blue ray player and a few more sets of 3d glasses ;(
Anthony1
Cross Eyed!

Post by Anthony1 »

fReAq wrote: I managed to get this working, but not by using a capture card - seems no dbv-t cards can expose the digital HD capturing device, and so stereoscopic player (3d video player) cant access it via the 'Live Video' option.
Huh? Can you explain this? I'm seriously contemplating building a gaming PC that would be powerful enough to also use a avermedia capture card, to somehow get it working with stereoplayer, via a Direct TV box. My current PC isn't powerful enough to work with the avermedia hdmi capture card. I'm not positive that I really want to dump nearly $800 into a gaming PC, but I'm strongly inching towards it. If I knew that this would work for sure, then I'd almost definitely build the necessary PC. Ideally, I'd like to wait to hear from another Samsung PN50A450 owner, with a powerful enough PC and an Avermedia hdmi capture card to see if the combo would actually work. (via Direct TV)

The good news, is that my Direct TV box "is" one of the 3D compliant ones. So, at least I don't need a new direct TV box.
Seb
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Seb »

fReAq wrote:I can now confirm that by using the Avermedia 1080i capture card with hdmi in from the cable box, and the stereoscopic player you can watch 3d tv on your projector setup in HD.

A few things to note:
To receive the signal in the stereoplayer choose file>live video>AverMedia BDA Analog Capture Secondary and then press play.
Then start the Aver MediaCenter and choose TV> HDMI. If you do it in that order the stereoplayer will begin playing the feed.
To get Hi Def, in Stereo Player choose File > Format Properties, choose Output Size: 1920x1080.
You will need to output sound from the cable box itself.

This beats a $3.5k tv by a long shot!
Are you saying that you use the HDMI card, or that your cable box is connected to the card with HDMI? Wouldn't you have to use component to get around HDCP?

I want to be able to buy exactly what I need if my cable provider decides to broadcast it. I have a Samsung DLP, so now that the Mitsubishi converter is off the table, it seems my options are the Hauppauge HD PVR, Avermedia HD PVR box, and Avermedia HD PVR card. The card is the only one that will work live?
BlackShark
Certif-Eyable!

Post by BlackShark »

There's no real guarantee it will work.
A few months ago the FCC approved the use of selectable output control flags in video streams for premium content and early VOD.
Almost recent satellite, cable and DSL decoders support it, it allows FIFA and your Satellite/Cable provider to forbid you the use of YUV and non encrypted Hdmi ports. (it's just that they didn't have the right to use it before, now they have it).
These protections are disabled when the broadcaster just plays the default test loop, but for the premium content (the world cup) nothing prevents them to activate these protections.
Passive 3D forever !
DIY polarised dual-projector setup :
2x Epson EH-TW3500 (2D 1080p)
Xtrem Screen Daylight 2.0, for polarized 3D
3D Vision gaming with signal converter : VNS Geobox 501
itti
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by itti »

fReAq wrote: To receive the signal in the stereoplayer choose file>live video>AverMedia BDA Analog Capture Secondary and then press play.
woah, after many tries finally made it work.
i picked side by side from File ---> layout
then Nvidia 3d vision from View ---> viewing method

now to figure how to connect sound to pc :P
Seb
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Seb »

BlackShark wrote:There's no real guarantee it will work.
A few months ago the FCC approved the use of selectable output control flags in video streams for premium content and early VOD.
Almost recent satellite, cable and DSL decoders support it, it allows FIFA and your Satellite/Cable provider to forbid you the use of YUV and non encrypted Hdmi ports. (it's just that they didn't have the right to use it before, now they have it).
These protections are disabled when the broadcaster just plays the default test loop, but for the premium content (the world cup) nothing prevents them to activate these protections.
Just phoned my cable provider and they said they would not be using these flags. I'm not in the US though, so the FCC has nothing to do with anything. I also don't get ESPN 3D, but there will be a special broadcast for the final and consolation final.

So I ordered the AverTV HD DVR card... looking forward to this!
itti
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by itti »

on Aver, i get picture + sound
but on stereo player, only video, even for normal channels. what am i doing wrong ?
how do i get the sound to play. i am using a HD satellite receiver. connected to the Aver card then to Acer 3D projector.
3D works. but no sound,
any tips ?
Dom
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Dom »

Can you get sound output from the analog out of your dish receiver white and red connectors to a amplifier or even the optical output for a digital connection to an amplifier.

Cyberia on Youtube

__________________________________________________________________________________________
itti
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by itti »

Dom wrote:Can you get sound output from the analog out of your dish receiver white and red connectors to a amplifier or even the optical output for a digital connection to an amplifier.
Nope, either HD or normal, both aint working together :(. why the 3d player only picking up the video signal ?
and what if i get some HD splitter or something ? blah watching holland vs uruguay in 3D with no sound hehe
WheatstoneHolmes
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by WheatstoneHolmes »

BlackShark wrote:There's no real guarantee it will work.
If you use a BlackMagic Intensity HDMI capture card you could probably get it to work with encrypted signals, but don't tell the FCC I said so. ;)
I came here to chew bubblegum and to see 3D...and I'm all out of bubblegum!
-----------------------
Me on YouTube, you watch: http://www.youtube.com/user/WheatstoneHolmes
itti
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by itti »

i dont think the problem is encryption, as i tried it with opened free channels still no audio passes to stereoscopic player,
is there a different player that have Live feed option like stero and has 3d ?
Dom
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Dom »

I know this might sound dumb, but in windows volume panel in "playback" and "recording" in windows 7 can you select the capture card as the recording device and select it also as "listen live" I think is whats its called. I don't know if they have that option but the capture card should have an audio device to playback sound. Also are you sure its not your codecs getting in the way of the audio in stereoscopic player. Maybe some audio codecs are stopping it from playing back with audio.

Can you get audio from the avertv program itself if it has one, it should. Also did you have HDMI sound before when hooking your dish receiver to a lcd tv or somthing and is there an option in the dish menu to select where the sound should goto as an output.

Cyberia on Youtube

itti
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by itti »

Can anyone who got this setup to work. confirm to me that both Video and Audio are running on steroscopic player when using Aver HD capture card ?
for me i can see the video in 3D but not the Audio.
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by tritosine5G »

Isnt there spdif on your receiver?

BTW someone has the URU-GER in some form in s3d, please send me pm. Thats the only one I want , wow , what a game.
-Biased for 0 Gen HMD's to hell and back must be one hundred percent hell bent bias!

Return to “I'm New To Stereoscopic 3D!”