Nvidia 3D Vision Clone?

DaveDean
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: Nvidia 3D Vision Clone?

Post by DaveDean »

Hey , I finally got the new comptuer working and I installed the GeForce 8500GT hoping it will allow me to run 3D movies on sView with "OpenGL Hardware" ... but damn , I'm still getting this error "WinAPI , QuadBuffered Stereo NOT supported"...

And this is AFTER I installed the latest driver from NVIDIA ( I took the absolut latest version - still in alpha ).

Did I just spend $200 for nothing ??
I got it the same before on my laptop... and I'm getting this again on the desktop...
Am I doing something wrong ?

I remember that before I had to install the latest ATI drivers - but this card is NOT ATI - it's GeForce NVIDIA - so I instaleld their drivers... was I wrong to do so ?

Also - I do see a 4th option there called "Direct 3D NVIDIA" - what is that ? is that any good ?
Is that HARDWARE ? is it as good as OpenGL ??
It seems to work but dammit I want OpenGL - it's supposed to be better... ain't it ?
Nick3DvB
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Nick3DvB »

Hi Dave, re-read my last post, forget OpenGL you need to use the emitter emulator to enable 3Dvision, which is also "hardware" 3D.

I'm around for a few hours now so let me know if you need any help with it.
DaveDean
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by DaveDean »

So , are you saying it's now more complicated because it's NOT ATI Card ?
That's a shame... I did all that just to be able to use the 3D hardware option, as with the software option the 3D kept going away and getting distoreted...

So as much as I can understand from you without reading the post you mentioned (didn't find it ) - am I supposed to install some emitter emulation and then "Enable 3D" with the NVIDIA drivers ( I have this option ) - then what option do I chose in sView ?

Please tell me where to read your last post again . What page is it...

thanks

you can also email me directly... :)
DaveDean
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by DaveDean »

Nick,
Ok , I saw your post from Oct 6 about NVidia 3D Vision and I have a few questions :

1. I installed Win 7 (32bit) but where do I download the Emulator from ?

2. What is that "Free NVidia Video Player" you mentioned to use instead of sView ? is that "PowerDVD 10" ? because I already have the full version installed there from before - I bought it.

3. If that's the case - how do I use PowerDVD to Enable the 3D - meaning - to take the 3D MKV files and convert the 2 sides to 1 side - just like sView is doing ?
I didn't see any option there that looks like the sView software... it's just for playing regular DVD's... Am I wrong ?

4. How do I configure the "nvidia player" to use it's audio & video codecs ??

5. Where is that "cyberlink video decoder properties menu" to click on the DXVA ?
I already installed the KLM CODEM package and enabled the DXVA to decode etc' - it's in the last step - should I be fine ?
how do I test if it's working ? what exactly does it do ?

6. How do I enable the SPDIF ? where is taht audio decoder - is it in the PowerDVD options ?

7. Lastly... I do have many 3D Blu rays rips - those are the MKV files I mentioned - it's "3D Half" versions of those 3D Movies - and it's about 8-15 gb - not 50gb... is that what you mean ?
Where would I download those 50gb ones ? Also - once I download the Half Life game - how do I view it in 3D ?
Nick3DvB

Post by Nick3DvB »

DaveDean wrote:1. ...where do I download the Emulator from?
I posted it somewhere near the start of this thread, but here's the direct download link:

http://hotfile.com/dl/111389928/3d22e5e ... r.zip.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There is an installation guide here:

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?show ... 06584&st=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DaveDean wrote:2. What is that "Free NVidia Video Player" you mentioned to use instead of sView?
http://www.nvidia.com/object/3d-vision- ... river.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DaveDean wrote:3. If that's the case - how do I use PowerDVD to Enable the 3D
You must have PowerDVD 10 Ultra "MKII" (or PowerDVD11) to enable its 3D support, get the lastest patches here:

http://www.cyberlink.com/downloads/supp ... en_GB.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But I would use the free Nvidia video player instead of PowerDVD or Sview, you only need the PowerDVD trial to use its DXVA AVC video decoder anyway.
DaveDean wrote:4. How do I configure the "nvidia player" to use it's audio & video codecs?
From its settings menu, add the Cyberlink decoders under "MPEG4 AVC Decoder" and "Dolby Digital Decoder", remove any others.

DaveDean wrote:5. Where is that "cyberlink video decoder properties menu" to click on the DXVA?
DaveDean wrote:6. How do I enable the SPDIF?
When a video is playing open the video properties menu and go to the Filters tab, then select the Cyberlink decoder and click the Details button.
DaveDean wrote:I already installed the KLM CODEM package and enabled the DXVA to decode etc' - it's in the last step - should I be fine ?
Don't install "codec packs", they are the work of satan! lol

I would remove KLM, the only other thing you might need is the Haali media splitter:

http://haali.su/mkv/MatroskaSplitter.exe" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DaveDean wrote:7. Lastly... I do have many 3D Blu rays rips - those are the MKV files I mentioned - it's "3D Half" versions of those 3D Movies?
Yes, MKV rips are half resolution at best, full "ISO" rips are 100% original quality, they can be burnt back to blank bluray discs or loaded using something like this:

http://www.dvdfab.com/virtual-drive.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DaveDean wrote:Also - once I download the Half Life game - how do I view it in 3D?
If 3Dvision is enabled it will run in 3D automatically, just remember to set the depth slider to full in the nvidia control panel if you have a large screen.

If you have problems let me know, I don't have your email but you can PM it to me if you like.

Good luck!

8-)
Last edited by Nick3DvB on Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:00 pm, edited 5 times in total.
DaveDean
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by DaveDean »

Thanks , Nick , I got the Emulator.
My anti virus was screaming... it saw it full of viruses... but I don't care ... :)

I'll get the Nvidia player , but I also have PowerDVD10 Mark II Ultra 3D installed - isn't that enough or should I still install that patch you mentioned ?
It did ask me about 3D options and I put the bar all the way to the right in DEPTH.
Is that OK ?
You said I only need it for the DXVA decoder - what is that giving me and how do I use it ?

Are you saying to install PowerDVD just so I can use his decoder in the NVIDIA player ?
did I understand you correctly on that ??

In the picture you attached - under the MPEG4 AVC Decoder was FFDSHOW , not CYBERLINK DECODER... I'm a bit confused on that.
What's the easiest way to go - POWERDVD or the NVIDIA player ?
If they both do the same thing - I just need to know one way... the easiest... :)

Also - if I don't install the KLM Codecs - how do I get the FFDSHOW ??
Nick3DvB

Post by Nick3DvB »

DaveDean wrote:My anti virus was screaming... it saw it full of viruses...
Your Antivirus is wrong, the patch files are 100% clean, but if it has blocked anything the emulator might not work properly now.
DaveDean wrote:I also have PowerDVD10 Mark II Ultra 3D installed - isn't that enough or should I still install that patch you mentioned?
I would install the latest patch for PowerDVD 10, it might fix some of the bugs...
DaveDean wrote:It did ask me about 3D options and I put the bar all the way to the right in DEPTH.
That won't effect games though, set the depth slider in the Nvidia contol panel as well.
DaveDean wrote:You said I only need it for the DXVA decoder - what is that giving me and how do I use it ?
DXVA lets the video card decode the video stream instead of the CPU, giving much smoother playback on slower CPUs, what CPU have you got btw? To enable DXVA in PowerDVD just tick the use Nvidia Purevideo hardware accelleration tick-box in the settings menu, also remember to set the sound output to SPDIF.
DaveDean wrote: Are you saying to install PowerDVD just so I can use his decoder in the NVIDIA player? Did I understand you correctly on that ??
Yep, the free trial version would have been enough to do that.
DaveDean wrote:In the picture you attached - under the MPEG4 AVC Decoder was FFDSHOW , not CYBERLINK DECODER... I'm a bit confused on that.
The screenshot was just to show you what the menu looks like, you will have different codecs listed.
DaveDean wrote:What's the easiest way to go - POWERDVD or the NVIDIA player? If they both do the same thing - I just need to know one way... the easiest... :)
If you have already paid for PowerDVD then you may as well use it now, but it had some really annoying bugs when I tried it, like the OSD sticking.
DaveDean wrote:Also - if I don't install the KLM Codecs - how do I get the FFDSHOW ??
Codec packs cause all kinds of problems, if you need a codec get it directly from the authors instead, for example: http://ffdshow-tryout.sourceforge.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But I wouldn't install FFdshow anyway, you probably don't need it and it will just complicate things even more, if I were you I'd stick with PowerDVD for the moment...

The first step is to make sure the emulator is actually working, nothing else will work without it, have you run the 3D setup wizzard in the nvidia control panel yet?
DaveDean
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by DaveDean »

OK... here's what happened.

1. Emulator installed successfully. I run the script in the background. I see no change though in anything.

2. I installed the latest patch for PowerDVD 10

3. I installed the NVIDIA player but it did not read MKV files. says it is missing some codecs

4. PowerDVD reads the 3D MKV files and when I click 3D button - it merges the 2 images to one.

5. I chose Hardware Pure in the PowerDVD

I did not see any DXVA filter to add anywhere but I did add the PowerDVD decoder to the Nvidia player - though I did not add any Dolby sound as I did not see any...
But the PowerDVD seems to be on SPDIF out - it's the only thing it has there.

Lastly - I opened the NVIDIA center and I ENABLED 3D - it went through the setup in which I just did next...next... without actually testing it.
It's Enabled now but I see no difference in anything.

What should I do next ?
Can I just try and watch a 3D Movie on the projector ? should I enable something else - turn the 3D on etc' ?
I'm a bit confused on the games / movie issue - what do I need to do in order to play 3D games and what I need in order to play the 3D MKV files ?

Also - I got a new MotherBoard and a CPU and I have 3GB ram ( I put 4gb but it only saw it as 2 so I added 1 more ).
CPU is AMD AM2+ - it's good... I think it's strong enough for any game or movie. It's new...
Nick3DvB

Post by Nick3DvB »

DaveDean wrote:Emulator installed successfully. I run the script in the background. I see no change though in anything.
If it has worked you should see the Nvidia Stereo controller listed in windows device manager under USB devices, and in the Nvidia control panel the stereoscopic 3D page should change from "Discovery" mode and allow your set-up your projector etc. If the test just displays anaglyph (red / blue colours) then the emulator isn't working.
DaveDean wrote:I installed the NVIDIA player but it did not read MKV files. says it is missing some codecs
Try installing the Haali mkv splitter, and check you added the Cyberlink decoders properly, but I wouldn't worry about the Nvidia player until you know that 3Dvision / PowerDVD are working ok.
DaveDean wrote:PowerDVD reads the 3D MKV files and when I click 3D button - it merges the 2 images to one.
PowerDVD will seem to "merge" the images even if the wrong output mode is selected, check that it is set to "120Hz" mode in it's 3D settings menu.
DaveDean wrote:Lastly - I opened the NVIDIA center and I ENABLED 3D - it went through the setup in which I just did next...next... without actually testing it. It's Enabled now but I see no difference in anything.
Nothing will work until you complete the Nvidia 3Dvision setup wizzard properly, when you ran it did it say "3Dvision display detected" etc? It won't actually let you finish the wizzard unless you answer the test questions correctly. The setup wizzard should look something like this:

http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2653" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DaveDean wrote:Can I just try and watch a 3D Movie on the projector ? should I enable something else - turn the 3D on etc' ?
If you run the test you should see a blurry "double image", if you enable 3D in the projector menu it should look 3D through the glasses, if it looks "wrong" you might need to invert the 3D in the projector menu.
DaveDean wrote:I'm a bit confused on the games / movie issue - what do I need to do in order to play 3D games and what I need in order to play the 3D MKV files ?
If 3Dvision is enabled then games should just work, if you have configured PowereDVD properly mkv files should work to. Suck it and see... 8-)
DaveDean wrote:CPU is AMD AM2+ - it's good... I think it's strong enough for any game or movie.
You would probably need a quad-core CPU to play full 3D Bluray "ISO" rips but a dual-core will be fine for mkv's, even without DXVA enabled.

Sounds like you're almost there, let me know how you get on...
DaveDean
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by DaveDean »

Nick,

1. I did see it in the device manager under USB devices so I know it was installed fine.
I just don't understand how the Nvidia control panel is connected to the movies part of it.
Do I need to ENABLE the 3D there in order to watch a 3D movie or is it just for GAMES ?

2. I did install the Haali mkv splitter and I can watch the mkv now on the NVIDIA player but it still complains about the codec... yet - now it's more specific - it says I need to insall the FFDSHOw one...
I also added the Cyberlink decoders but not the Sound one as I couldn't find it... I added one SPDIF High Audio instead.
I say - let's try with the PowerDVD first and leave the NVIDIA for now... later I'll try the NVIDIA and compare who is better and stick with it.
In terms of perforamance - are there any differences ?

3. I was not connected yet to my Projector and in my LCD screen I can only chose 75 herts max.
I'll connect the projector tonight and change resolution to 120herts and then make sure it is set to "120Hz" mode in the PowerDVD 3D settings menu. If I can find it...
Also - do you know there is PowerDVD 11 now ? can I use that instead ?

4. 3D Vision did finish the Wizard on Automatic detection but I did NOT see anything - I just GUESSED everything and asnwered all the questions... I have a good 6th sense so I'm a good guesser... :)
I can try doing it AGAIN and see if I get "3Dvision display detected" but I don't know how - HOW do I run this Wizard again ?

5. My Projector 3D option is ENABLED all the time as long as the input is 120hz , as far as I know from last time...
So I can just run the 3D NVIDIA Wizard again and this time answer the questions for REAL ... that is if I see it in 3D.
Would that work ?
What do I need to do for that to work ?
If I just DISABLE the 3D and try to ENABLE it again - would it ask me to run this TEST / WIZARD again ?

To Summarize - if I just run the Wizard and ENABLE the 3D - that's ALL I need to do in order to run GAMES.
Then all I do is download the GAME (I'll start with HalfLife 2) and play it as usual and then I will see it in 3D on my projector - just by wearing the 3D Glasses ? is that correct ?

And for Movies - all I need to do is configure the PowerDVD correctly and run a movie ?
Do I need to still ENABLE the 3D in the NVIDIA control panel ?

Can you please repeat again how do I configure the PowerDVD ?
All I did is download the latest patch and click on the 3D Button to merge the pics... what else do I need to do ?

Lastly - Why would I want to play full 3D Bluray "ISO" rips ? Is it really better than the 15gb MKV BluRay rips I currently have ?
I was NOT able to find any place to download those full 3D ISO's so I cannot even test this idea... do you know any ?

Once again - thanks again... :)
You are so helpful , Nick , I just feel I need to pay you... are you doing it for a living ?
I thought you can email me diretly as I had my email address in my profile but I don't mind putting it here , I just don't know if they'll allow me... is that not against the rules ?
DaveDean
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by DaveDean »

Also - I am wondering , why do we need to configure the nvidia player to use PowerDVD audio and video codecs ?
What's the idea behind that - why cant we use it's own codecs ?
I did not find any audio codec to add there , by the way... but there was a BIG list of stuff to add... do you know any other one that will work for me ?

And also I did not find the DXVA box in the cyberlink video decoder properties menu and how to enable SPDIF output in the cyberlink audio decoder.
I go to Settings --> Video --> and all I see is "Enable Hardware Accellation Pure Video" , which I enabled.But nothing else...
Nothing about any codecs...
Did you mean in the NVIDIA Video player ?
Nick3DvB

Post by Nick3DvB »

DaveDean wrote:I was not connected yet to my Projector and in my LCD screen I can only chose 75 herts max.
Doh! :shock: That explains everything...

I assumed you had the projector connected all the time, you MUST have it connected to set up 3Dvision, re-read the instructions with it plugged in, they should make a lot more sense now…

http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2653" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DaveDean wrote:I just GUESSED everything and answered all the questions... I have a good 6th sense so I'm a good guesser... :)
I noticed! ;)
DaveDean wrote:I just don't understand how the Nvidia control panel is connected to the movies part of it. Do I need to ENABLE the 3D there in order to watch a 3D movie or is it just for GAMES?
Until the nvidia wizard is completed successfully NOTHING will work - games or movies, it’s the key to the whole thing! That’s why the emulator is so important, and actually having the projector connected when you run the wizard also helps... :P
DaveDean wrote:I can try doing it AGAIN and see if I get "3Dvision display detected" but I don't know how - HOW do I run this Wizard again ?
It should reset when it works out you have connected the projector, but if it doesn’t click the little arrow next to the “Test Stereoscopic 3D” button to run it again, when the setup wizard has finished run the test to make sure everything works.

DaveDean wrote: Can you please repeat again how do I configure the PowerDVD ?
Click the little arrow next to the 3d button, and make sure it’s set to 3Dvision 120Hz mode, leaving it on auto should work but doesn’t most of the time.

DaveDean wrote:I say - let's try with the PowerDVD first and leave the NVIDIA for now...

Also - do you know there is PowerDVD 11 now? can I use that instead?
Stick with PowerDVD, but version 11 is a joke so don’t bother upgrading to it. If you want to try another simple player check out Arcsoft Total Media Theatre 5, it’s much better IMHO.

http://www.arcsoft.com/estore/software_ ... Code=TMT5P" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DaveDean wrote:Why do we need to configure the nvidia player to use PowerDVD audio and video codecs ? What's the idea behind that - why cant we use it's own codecs ?
The free Nvidia player doesn’t contain any codecs, you have to install and configure them yourself, this makes it a lot more flexible but also a lot more complicated, I shouldn’t have suggested it really but I didn't know you had bought PowerDVD, we should just concentrate on getting 3Dvision working first.
DaveDean wrote:Why would I want to play full 3D Bluray "ISO" rips ? Is it really better than the 15gb MKV BluRay rips I currently have ?
Unless you have a 1080p full HD display you probably won’t notice the difference to be honest, I'd say its worth it for certain films (Avatar, Tron etc) but I’d stick with mkv’s for most movies.
DaveDean wrote:I was NOT able to find any place to download those full 3D ISO's so I cannot even test this idea... do you know any ?
I use Usenet myself, but that’s a bit complicated. The biggest 3D sharing site was shut down a few months ago but you might want to have a look here: http://www.fs-3d.com/forum" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DaveDean wrote:I thought you can email me directly as I had my email address in my profile but I don't mind putting it here , I just don't know if they'll allow me... is that not against the rules ?
This forum doesn’t seem to have a normal user profile / contacts system, if you want to send me your email just click the PM button under one of my posts. btw, never post your email address on a public forum, if a spambot finds it you'll get a load more junk mail.
DaveDean wrote:Once again - thanks again... :) You are so helpful , Nick , I just feel I need to pay you... are you doing it for a living ?
Good guess! I do work in IT (remote access support), I'm living the dream… lol :roll: :lol:

I'm happy to help but if you are serious about paying me back maybe you could return the favour by giving a small donation to the Somali famine appeal for me? But I don’t want to guilt-trip you about it so it’s your call:

http://www.redcross.org.uk/About-us/New ... it-Somalia" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

8-)
Last edited by Nick3DvB on Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:24 am, edited 3 times in total.
DaveDean
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by DaveDean »

Nick,
I don't see that option in PowerDVD of 3Dvision 120Hz mode , but I see the same as in this pic NVIDIA 3D Ready. Is that fine ?

Do I need to change the resolution again to one that has 120hz or was it only with the ATI ?
DaveDean
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by DaveDean »

Sorry for the late update... I had some issue connecting to the Projector for some reason.
It wouldn't work...

I bought a Cable that has DVI in one side and HDMI in another and I was trying to connect it from the PC (DVI) to the Projector (HDMI) , but it wouldn't work...
I think the DVI was not exactly what I needed - I read there are a few kinds of DVI and this one had the short pin while the GeForce card has the one with the Long pin...
So I went and I got a DVI to VGA cable - but that did NOT work at all... black screen... and this one did have the long pin... so I was a bit frustrated by that time and I threw the damn projector out the window...
No... I'm joking.
I desperatly simply connected the VGA to VGA cable directly to the Projector - clicked the VGA button on the remote and it worked fine...
But then again - it's VGA - how good is that ?!?
I wanted to use a HD quality output - the DVI to HDMI was my best option but that did not work...
The quality with the VGA to VGA cable is NOT really as good as when I see a movie via the BluRay ( I tried to watch Avatar from the BluRay and from the PC).

So , the question now is : What is better ? VGA , DVI -to- HDMI or SVIDEO ?
Those are the 3 outputs I have in my card.
I did NOT try the SVIDEO - is that BETTER than VGA -VGA ?

I am going to buy today an adapter from DVI-I ( which I think is what I got ) to HDMI and connect a regular HDMI cable in it and see how it goes.
Here's what I want to buy : http://www.meritline.com/male-dvi-i-to- ... 30315.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
What do you think ? will that work ?

Now... regarding the 3D stuff - it WORKED !!
I did exactly like that instruction - the Wizard worked and I chose the right stuff now.
PowerDVD intiially did NOT work in the movies but then I chose NVIDIA in the menu and that fixed it...
It had some glitches some times - very rarely - but most of the time it worked fine...
Is there anything I can do to adjust things - like INVERT etc' ?
I did move from RIGHT to LEFT from PowerDVD but that's all I saw...
I remember that in sView there were more options but I did not see anything in PowerDVD.

I did not try the NVIDIA player yet but I'll give it a try tonight.
I'm just a bit upset as the picture quality was NOT very good - quite DULL and lifeless - colors are dead , not much contrast...
It was better with the Laptop...
I'll get the HDMI convertor today and see if that improves anything.
But as far as 3D - IT WORKS !!! :) :) :)
Thanks a lot for everything !
DaveDean
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by DaveDean »

ok... I got tired of trying to work this GeForce 8500 card with the HDMI... I want to get a new card... but which ?

Can you recommend the best card for my purpose of watching MKV movies ?
It has to have HDMI obviously... and be kinda affordable because I spent on this venture too much as is...

Here are what I found :

http://www.compusa.com/applications/Sea ... CatId=3585" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.compusa.com/applications/Sea ... CatId=3669" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.compusa.com/applications/Sea ... CatId=3585" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Prices are kinda the same - around the $40...
Those are the CHEAPEST deal I found on those card that have HDMI.

Any advice ?
Nick3DvB

Post by Nick3DvB »

Hi Dave, sorry for the slow reply, I've been very bussy at work. Glad to hear you got 3Dvision working at last, not sure why you are having problems with the DVI / HDMI cable? I read that the H66 has problems with long or low grade cables so maybe try a shorter one to test, you might have to reboot the PC / Projector a few times to get it to detect properly??

I don't know why the contrast would be worse than with the laptop, I'm sure it's not the VGA cable, you might need to re-calibrate the projector video settings and / or video settings in the Nvidia control panel, try the dynamic range settings etc. What glasses are you using? BTW, to swap left / right you must use the invert funtion in the projector menu, the setting in PowerDVD doesn't seem to work, every time you switch out of full screen mode there is a 50/50 chance you will need to invert so try and keep it fullscreen after you start a video playing.

A new card might be a good idea anyway, even a cheap card would be MUCH faster than the 8500GT for games and would also support MVC so you could watch 3D bluray "ISO" rips smoothly. On your budget there are only really two cards worth thinking about, the Nvidia GT430 or the ATI HD6450. The ATI card might be better because you would not have to use the emulator to enable 3D for videos, it would also work with PowerDVD and it might solve your contrast issue, but remember that to play most games in 3D with an ATI card you would also have to buy a seperate "3D driver" like IZ3D or DDD TriDef, which costs another $25, but there are free trials of both.

http://www.compusa.com/applications/Sea ... ce&dir=asc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DaveDean
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by DaveDean »

Ye , I don't know why the stupid HDMI did not work... I tried 3 differnt cables and adapters and what not...
It works in the begining when the Computer is in the BIOS but when Windows come up - it's BLACK...

I think it's because it's DVI-D cable and not DVI-I like the Card says , but I'm not sure.

Anyway - I ordered the GeForce 430 like you recommended so I should receive it in few days and will try it then...

I also recplaced the VGA cable to a thicker one and that improved the quality a bit.
What I learnt was that the quality is GOOD when I'm on a LOWER REFRESH RATE but when I move to 120hz - it gets BAD...
So it's not so the VGA like the HERTZ so I think it's just the CARD that is not as strong for this rate , so thus - I got a new one.

I don't understand though - why did you recommend the 430 and not the 520 ? they were the same price...
Isn't the 520 NEWER and STRONGER ? it's a BIGGER number after all... :)

I love my MOVIES MEDIA SERVER - it has all the MP3 , FLACS , BLU RAYS , DVD's , 3D Movies , 3D Games... and it works great with everything.
I'm using ITUNES and MEDIA CENTER for the music and PowerDVD for the VIDEO and it's very nice.
I also installed some MEDIA SERVERS so I can wathc the MOVIES in my Living Room via the Wireless as all my movies now are in this computer.
I also watch NETFLIX on it and everyting... it's GREAT !
It was definetely worth it to have a PC in the PROJECTOR Room and it's also connected to the Yamaha AMP and that MUSIC is great ! especially all the FLACS...
Thanks again !
Nick3DvB

Post by Nick3DvB »

Did you try and re-sync the projector after windows has loaded? If you have another display connected at the same time it might be treating the projector as a secondary display and turning it off? DVI-I / DVI-D would not effect it, HDMI is digital anyway. The contrast will always drop at 120Hz because "3D mode" is enabled, all DLP projectors do this, most also disable colour enhancements and most other calibration settings just get ignored, but this would have been the same on the laptop, or with the ATI HD6450 card. The contast should look much better with the glasses on, if it doesn't you might have a problem with the DLPlink sync signal not being blocked properly for some reason, what glasses are you using? The GT240 is actually the fastest card of the three you listed, but it doesn't support audio bit-streaming or DX11, the GT430 should be much faster than the GT520 for games, so higher numbers are not always better, that's exactly what Nvidia's marketing guys want you to think...
DaveDean
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by DaveDean »

Does anyone knows if it is possible to play a MKV file with DTS sound in an AMP that does not support DTS ?
My Yamaha Amp is quite old - it supports AC3 , Dolby etc. but NOT DTS.
I got a few BluRay movies that come only with DTS Audio - and when I play them - they have no sound...

I dont want to convert the Video files to a different Audio format - neither do I know how - so I am wondering if there's a way or a tool that plays those movies and somehow converts it to AC3 or regular sound ?

All the other videos / dvd's I have are playing fine so it's just those few...

Any idea ?
Nick3DvB

Post by Nick3DvB »

FFdshow's audio decoder can do that, so can AC3Filter: http://ac3filter.net/wiki/Download_AC3Filter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You can't use them with PowerDVD but they work great with the 3Dvision video player, so that's another reason to use it...
DaveDean
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by DaveDean »

Thanks. I will check that later and see if I can play those DTS movies with sound... that would be great !

To a different question - I want to experience the GAMES 3D thingy... what 3D Games do you recommend ?
I already have HALO 2 - Part 2 , which works nice but not really my style of game... what do you think are the BEST 3D Games ?
Will my XBOX 360 work on my Projector 3D as well via the DLP ?
Nick3DvB

Post by Nick3DvB »

Like I said before, I would start with source engine games like Half Life 2, Left for Dead, and Portal, they look great with the depth set to high and should run well on a low-end card, Bioshock also looks great in 3D and surprisingly Crysis 2 should run quiet well because of it's "fake 3D". It depends what games you like, if you don't like shooters maybe try a racing game like Need for Speed / Dirt 2. Assassin's Creed and Trine also look good in 3D. Have a look here:

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=90883" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Xbox360 will work with a DLP projector but you would either need to plug it into the PC using an HDMI capture card or get an expensive stand-alone 3D converter, which would also work with 3D bluray players etc:

http://www.3d-vip.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.optomausa.com/products/detail/3D-XL" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.avermedia.com/product/Produc ... spx?Id=499" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DaveDean
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by DaveDean »

I have one more question about the Resolution issue and was wondering if you have any opinion about it.
For the 3D Movies I watch - I put it on 1280x760 as it's the highest one that I can do 120hz.

However - for the regular movies I watch (not 3D) - that come with 720P or 1080P quality and are naturally 1,920x1080 pixels - do I just leave my resolution on the 1280x760 ??
Does it not lower the quality as the movie can be seen in 1920x1080 - so why I am on 1280x760 ??
The regular BluRay movies do NOT need 3D so they do not need 120hz...
Can I even enjoy 1080P BluRay when I'm on such a low Resolution in my projector or does it not matter as the Player will adjust things anyway ?? I'm puzzled about it...

So what do you guys do - do you change resolution for higher one or leave it on the 120hz one that is LOWER ?

I don't know if that's an issue but I have the Optoma HD66 Projector - does it show 1080P movies at all ?

Thanks again
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

I'd say use the native resolution of your projector, the scaling should be better done by a software than by the internal scaler of your display. You can see the difference by using the non-native resolution while displaying the Windows desktop, usually it's quite awful. So for Blu-Ray just keep the 720p (or 760p) resolution. No need to use a 120Hz graphics mode though, 60Hz should be enough if your video player is able to adapt the 24im/s to 60Hz.
Zoide

Post by Zoide »

I was having the same problem as CeridianMN (http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.p ... 860#p60860) and I was able to install the dll in Windows 7 64-bit by:

1) Opening a command prompt as Administrator
2) Going to the 3Dvision folder
3) Entering regsvr32 /u "3d_x64.dll"
4) Entering regsvr32 "3d_x64.dll". Note that I didn't use the /i flag for regsvr32.

I then ran enablestereo.bat from the command prompt and Windows finally installed the Nvidia driver! :)
Guig2000

Post by Guig2000 »

Hello, usually I use iZ3D driver+ planar, I rarely use 3D vision on my win7 64, for test purpose.
So I did not use it from a long time and of course with the emulator. I use it with a crt, 1024*768@100Hz, edim glasses and ed activator.
But I have a problem: on my previous try it was working fine but now, usually after a few minutes, there is a big slow down like if the game was freezing and on event viewer I've a lot of errors about nvidia driver.
If I use 3Dvision in anaglyph "discoverer" mode there is no problem.
Of course I have disabled iZ3D. I use nvidia 270 driver, newer are not compatible with iZ3D+D3D10/11, so I do not install them at the moment.

Does the emulator is known to have this kind of issues?

EDIT: Zoide you don't need to type enablestereo.bat manually into command prompt each time: you can use a shortcut if you fill "start in" with the path of the batch file.
laast
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by laast »

Bad news, emitter emulator no longer works with Nvidia R290 drivers. I was using it with my Samsung plasma to provide 100% Checkerboard support (to disable red warning) but now no way to install 3D drivers...
nxsfan
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by nxsfan »

laast wrote:Bad news, emitter emulator no longer works with Nvidia R290 drivers. I was using it with my Samsung plasma to provide 100% Checkerboard support (to disable red warning) but now no way to install 3D drivers...
I enabled checkerboard output using the very latest nvidia beta drivers 290.53 without too much trouble. The emulator still works perfectly, I had to manually select the driver for the emulated device within device manager. Once done I went through the 3D Vision wizard and it detected the USB IR emitter and defaulted to DLP display.

3D Vision was not working correctly however on a resized desktop and the hotfix to resolve this has been removed apparently.

EDIT: I realised later that during manual selection I installed the 285.62 driver for the USB emitter. If you use the 290 emitter driver the device won't "start" and hence 3D vision can't be enabled.
TimeMaster
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by TimeMaster »

Hi there, I'm having troubles to enable 3D vision with the emulator.

I got the emulator working after a lot of trouble and now the 3D emitter is detected by the wizard but after detecting my DLP Display (optoma hd67n 3D vision ready) it starts showing me 3D in anaglyph mode!! I don't know why, but it's just anaglyph. And any 3D application detects anaglyph too when 3D vision is on.

When using Stereoscopic player to play movies the 3D works perfect. I don't know what else I can do...
Nick3DvB

Post by Nick3DvB »

This seems to be a common problem with the new 290 beta drivers, mainly for CRT owners, it's not related to the emulator,

try loading this H5360 inf in device manager, reboot then re-run the 3Dvision wizard: http://www.ixbt.com/dvd/benq/w600/Acer_H5360.inf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

good luck!

8)
TimeMaster
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by TimeMaster »

Nick3DvB wrote:This seems to be a common problem with the new 290 beta drivers, mainly for CRT owners, it's not related to the emulator,

try loading this H5360 inf in device manager, reboot then re-run the 3Dvision wizard: http://www.ixbt.com/dvd/benq/w600/Acer_H5360.inf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

good luck!

8)
Nevermind, I got it working. The trick is:

Install everything which comes with the 3D vision emulator (32 bit or 64 bit, depending on your windows).
Install the last version of nvidia drivers (290 beta at this point)**It is not directly compatible with the emulator, but doesn't matter
Decompress the version 285 of the drivers
Run "enablestereo.bat". It will detect the virtual emitter but probably will say it cannot found the drivers
Don't let it search for driver on its own. You should navigate through the folders, go to 285 folder, search for 3d vision, usb 3d vision driver and select the nvm...idontknowwhatelse (the only file you'll find there)
Just let it install it
Voilà

Thanks for the help
QueueCumber
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by QueueCumber »

Questions:

What mode does this workaround use for transmitting the 3D signal?

Does it use frame sequential or a lesser resolution once it is in place?

I'm wondering if I will get the same level of resolution using this fix using the NVidia 3d Vision 2 kit with the Samsung S27A950D vs. using the kit with an Asus VG278H that is made to run the NVidia 3D vision 2 kit.

Is there less picture quality and/or resolution quality using the workaround than you would get otherwise (i.e. do you need to use side by side mode on the Samsung instead of the higher resolution frame sequential outputs)?

Thanks!

Return to “General Stereoscopic 3D Discussion”