MPO2JPS: Convert Fujifilm MPO files to JPS stereo images.

cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

MPO2JPS: Convert Fujifilm MPO files to JPS stereo images.

Post by cybereality »

I have made a new version of my MPO2Stereo application called MPO2JPS and it does what you think: converts an MPO file into a standard JPS file which can be viewed in full quality stereo 3d with the NVIDIA 3D Vision Photo viewer and other 3D applications. Unlike the MPO2Stereo app, this version must recompress the source image, however I did not notice any loss in quality (although file size is a lot less). Same as before, just drag-and-drop as many MPOs as you like and it will convert them all. Since full quality MPO files can be as much as 10MB is size, the program may take some time when converting a large number of files but probably not more than 10 seconds per file on a decent computer. If you wish to resize the image or further compress it for the web you will need to use another program. MPO2JPS just handles the full-res conversion and there isn't any functionality otherwise. If you wanted to use Photoshop, for example, to resize the images for the web you would need to rename the JPS files to JPEG files before you imported them. Anyway, here is the link, hope some people find this useful.

MPO2JPS download link:
MPO2JPS.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Re: MPO2JPS: Convert Fujifilm MPO files to JPS stereo images.

Post by yuriythebest »

splendid!! people with fujifilm 3d cameras like Neil Schneider will find this very useful :mrgreen:
Oculus Rift / 3d Sucks - 2D FTW!!!
Neil

Post by Neil »

Indeed!

I'm going to try it out. The more automatic, the better. Will it let me pick custom resolutions, etc.?

Regards,
Neil
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

Neil wrote:Indeed!

I'm going to try it out. The more automatic, the better. Will it let me pick custom resolutions, etc.?
no
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Neil wrote:Will it let me pick custom resolutions, etc.?
Currently it just does a full-resolution conversion but it may be possible to make a version with more options.
salsa
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by salsa »

Unfortunately it's not working for me.... and the FinePix Viewer software is more horrible than I could have imagined...:o

I get this error when using drag+drop or a "Run" command:
"This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem."

Any clues would be greatly appreicated! BTW I'm trying to run this under XP.

Thank you!
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

salsa wrote:Unfortunately it's not working for me.... and the FinePix Viewer software is more horrible than I could have imagined...:o

I get this error when using drag+drop or a "Run" command:
"This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem."

Any clues would be greatly appreicated! BTW I'm trying to run this under XP.

Thank you!
Interesting. Its possible it doesn't work on Windows XP, but I wouldn't see why not. Unfortunately both my machines are running Vista so I cannot verify this. Can someone that is using XP test out the program with the following MPOs? These are what I used for testing so they should work no problem.
MPO.zip
Also, you might want to try the version that just outputs two JPEGs. That should surely work on XP:
http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4124" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you need more robust functionality try Stereo Photo Maker, which now supports MPO:
http://stereo.jpn.org/eng/stphmkr/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
salsa
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by salsa »

Thanks for the info! I will try splitting to jpegs when I get some time this weekend.

I found some other ways to split the mpo files on the Mac (which is my primary platform), but it seems most software is Windows-based, so I will explore different Windows tools for stereo adjustment in the coming weeks-- so glad to stumble on this forum after receiving my W1 last week!
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

If you are on Mac, try this program (SplitMPO):
http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.p ... 513#p30513" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You will still need Photoshop or another editor to convert to a JPS, but at least you will have the JPEGs.
bartkindt
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by bartkindt »

Hi,

On Windows XP, when dropping the MPO files onto the .exe, the output files end up in a weird place, not in he same directory where the .exe and the .mpo files are, but in C:\Documents and Settings\Username
That is not right...
Also it does not support wildcards? *.mpo?

I found your 3 homepages via Google, but no download options on there?

Thanks for the work, I am expecting my Fuji camera any moment :)

Bart
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

At least on Vista it will produce the JPS file into the same directory as the MPO files are in. The EXE can be anywhere you like. Unfortunately it does not support wildcards, however you can drag and drop any number of MPO files at one time. I hope that helps.
a88767
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by a88767 »

Dear all, JPS is an interesting topic.
i can how to find the JPS standard?
molsmith
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by molsmith »

What i would like to do is to be able to convert 2 jpg images (l/r) into a MPO format that can be displayed on the fuiji 3d viewer. The blurb with the photo-viewer says only 3d pics taken with a fuiji 3d camera can be displayed. After shelling out 350 uk pounds for the viewer, i am disappointed thet made it such that only 'their' images can be viewed. I am an artist and i manipulate the left/right image with daz3d content inserted, but then I cannot convert them back to fuiji mpo file format.

Anyone know how to trick the header on a standard mpo so it looks like a fuiji mpo?

mol
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

You should be able to use Stereo Photo Maker to create MPOs for use on the V1 viewer:
http://stereo.jpn.org/eng/stphmkr/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
vertuman
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: MPO2JPS: Convert Fujifilm MPO files to JPS stereo images

Post by vertuman »

Hello Cyberreality,

I am trying to write a C++ parser for mpo file, do you actually parse the full file before extracting the 2 jpeg files ? could you share the source ?

Thanks.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Hey vertuman,

All I am doing is breaking the MPO file into 2 parts. The MPO container is nothing more than multiple JPEGs concatenated together. So I search through the hex of the file and look for the marker for the start of a JPEG image. Everything before that part is considered one image, and everything after that the next image. Technically the MPO container can hold more than 2 images but for the W1/W3 it only uses 2 images for the 3D pictures. You can get the source for that process here:

http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.p ... 767#p32767" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In MPO2JPS I basically extract the 2 images, same as before, and then I simply combine them into one JPEG. I haven't released the source for that yet, but let me know if you need it and I can post it up. If you are just doing a parser then the original code should be enough to get you started. At that point you will have standard JPEG files so you can manipulate them with any number of libraries.
gvignes
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by gvignes »

Thank you, that's exactly whta I was looking for. :)
Murbella7
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Murbella7 »

Thanks for the MPO split tool, it works fine. In fact I have a use for both the original stereo-pair and updated split-pair versions. The update saves me time (just a little) in Photoshop.

The next challenge, which I have to try, is getting the images on screen via my new JVC 3D projector.
fantmn
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by fantmn »

Nice tool. I tried it out using my HTC EVO 3D. With some of the files it created a L and R file with content in them, with other files it generated one L file with an image and a R file that is empty. Image17 worked file image18 did not. I hope to attach a zip file with the two sample images.
Thanks for the tool.
Fant
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Yes, I need to update this utility. It doesn't work with newer MPO files (like from Nintendo 3DS, etc.). I had only tested it will images from the original W1. I will look into it when I get a chance. In the meantime, you should be able to convert to and from MPO files using Stereo Photo Maker.
fantmn
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by fantmn »

Thanks for the utility. I mostly am looking to extract to jpegs but the utility is very cool. I hope perhaps my mpo files will be useful to you when you find time to check into updates.
Fant
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by 1140 »

anyone tried creating an animated gif automatically ?
Then you can easily upload photo's create with your camera (Evo3d for me) to be viewed by the rest of the world.
---------------------------------
What a strange username..
1140 <=> ETA
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

I haven't tried that, but that might be worth looking into.
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by 1140 »

It really gives some cool effect. Check out the website some created (read in a different thread here):
My Photos:
http://www.3dporch.com/users/eta76
---------------------------------
What a strange username..
1140 <=> ETA
alex180788
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by alex180788 »

Hi cybereality... I ve a question for you:
sometimes you will find inside an MPO, an Individual Image which has not the "MPO" marker inside APP2 section... such as, many MPO has an Flash Pix-Ready in APP2 section, conforming with Exif standard... so how do you handle this event?
Thanks for answer (and sorry for my english)
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

I think you can read the actual total length of the first file from information in the header (mpo=jpg in this matter). Since mpo-files supports even more than two separate images you have to read each header in turn until you reach the end of the file. With stereo-.mpo's it's of course only two images.
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

My program is actually pretty simple, it just assumes there are 2 images and breaks them apart. Also, it only works with the Fujifilm MPOs (from W1 or W3). I know it has problems with the 3DS and probably other devices. Not sure I will bother updating this, since you can do way more with Stereo Photo Maker.
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

Guys, you are aware that stereo photo maker's batch convert feature does all this already right??
http://stereo.jpn.org/eng/stphmkr/
I've already used it to convert large amounts of MPO files
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

Yeah. I use spm all the time when adjusting stereophotos. I guess the talk is about for those who want's to put together own software for the fun of it.
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
ssam
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by ssam »

cybereality wrote:Hey vertuman,

All I am doing is breaking the MPO file into 2 parts. The MPO container is nothing more than multiple JPEGs concatenated together. So I search through the hex of the file and look for the marker for the start of a JPEG image. Everything before that part is considered one image, and everything after that the next image. Technically the MPO container can hold more than 2 images but for the W1/W3 it only uses 2 images for the 3D pictures. You can get the source for that process here:

http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.p ... 767#p32767" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In MPO2JPS I basically extract the 2 images, same as before, and then I simply combine them into one JPEG. I haven't released the source for that yet, but let me know if you need it and I can post it up. If you are just doing a parser then the original code should be enough to get you started. At that point you will have standard JPEG files so you can manipulate them with any number of libraries.
Thanks for the great work on this! Any chance you can post the source to combine the JPEG's into a JPS? Thanks again!
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Wow! A blast from the past. Here is the source code.
ssam
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by ssam »

Thanks - really appreciate the quick reply on an old thread!

I've been working on a Nintendo 3DS photo related application, and have been trying to figure out the x-alignment (i.e., the number of pixels to crop) between the stereo left and right images so they can be aligned. I don't seem to be able to find it in the EXIF information, but I know it's available because Stereo Photo Maker displays the value (usually between around -76 to -86 pixels).

Do you have any idea how to locate or determine this from a Nintendo 3DS MPO file?

Many thanks!
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Sorry, I didn't work with the Nintendo MPO file format too much.

Maybe if you make a copy of the same photo, change the alignment slightly, and then do a diff of the file and see what changed.
ssam
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by ssam »

Thanks for the suggestion. I think it's stored in the "3D Parallax" tag here:

http://3dbrew.org/wiki/MPO

I just can't seem to extract it with ExifTool. If I figure out anything more, I'll post it here just in case someone else might happen upon this. Or maybe someone else might be able to shine some light on how to align the stereo images in a 3DS MPO.

Cheers!
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

I wonder how this will work with the HTC EVO 3D camera/smartphone .MPO files. I will try that soon and post the results back here.

EDIT: Yes, it works fine. Thanks. I may still use Stereo Photo Maker though, because it has automatic vertical alignment options, and it can also resize my 10MP Fuji W3 images down to 1080p more suitable for web publication.
stereoscopic1234
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by stereoscopic1234 »

I compiled a version of MPO2JPS for mac. It should work on any intel mac 10.6 or later.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Nice one!
stereoscopic1234
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by stereoscopic1234 »

Thank you for your comment. I compiled a version of MPO2JPS for ubuntu linux. I highly recommend that you use anabuilder http://anabuilder.free.fr/welcome.html for cross platform processing of the .jps files. You can download the multi-platform version here http://anabuilder.free.fr/anabuilderJava.zip .
lycaki
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by lycaki »

I know it's a long time after you posted that - I just dug out my old Fuji 3D camera and thought 'I'll see if my Oculus can view these' - see if it can view my old photos in 3D - 'After a few google searches and deadends'. I found your glorious little program, thank you so much ... appreciate it!

Russ

Return to “General Stereoscopic 3D Discussion”