So, I was bored ;) And created the Ultimate 3D Experience!

Welder
Certif-Eyed!

So, I was bored ;) And created the Ultimate 3D Experience!

Post by Welder »

Look what I pieced together:

:)

*Note: Don't try going out and buying this to do yourself just yet. This is an experiment :)
Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by Neil »

Cool!

What resolution were you using total?

Regards,
Neil
Welder
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Welder »

3840x1024
Freke1
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Freke1 »

You should be bored more often :D
Welder
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Welder »

Freke1 wrote:You should be bored more often :D
I agree!

It was fun to play on a triple screen, then add in the 3D, and it's even more amazing :)
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

wow that looks killer! Congratz! any particular reason though the screens are so far apart?
Oculus Rift / 3d Sucks - 2D FTW!!!
LukePC1
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by LukePC1 »

yuriythebest1 wrote:wow that looks killer! Congratz! any particular reason though the screens are so far apart?
I bet the tilt reduces the ghosting. I read that somewhere :D
Unfortunatly they can't be nearer together than tuching each other...
But it's nice to see the pictures from it. Thanks for the experiment - does it work well?
Play Nations at WAR with this code to get 5.000$ as a Starterbonus:
ayqz1u0s
http://mtbs3d.com/naw/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AMD x2 4200+ 2gb Dualchannel
GF 7900gs for old CRT with Elsa Revelator SG's
currently 94.24 Forceware and 94.24 Stereo with XP sp2!
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

Looool!!! It must be an awesome experimence! (who needs 26"er now? ;) j-king)
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

Likay wrote:Looool!!! It must be an awesome experimence! (who needs 26"er now? ;) j-king)
can't wait to see the next milestone- same setup only with 3 26' iz3d's :)
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

Dito here. Maybe even more screens! :P
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

right sorry for posting so much on this thread but this 'creation' is just too beautiful. It deserves to be on any blog like gizmodo, engadget or wired- more in fact than a lot of news currently on them. In fact I'm gonna 'tip' those blogs - maybe by same chance it'll get one one of em.
da_giz
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by da_giz »

Well this is really awesome!

So you had all the front panels on the one triplehead and all the back panels on the other?
Or is it left monitor and one of the middle panels on one and the rest on the other?
Or does it even matter? I don't know but can you set up the screens how you like with the triplehead?
Let's say, on top of each other?

Wonder how many monitors is the maximum with ATI cards in CF plus a triplehead for each DVI output..... :D

IZ3D 22", Geforce 280 GTX / Intel e8400 / 4GB RAM
Logitech: G7, K15, Extreme 3D Pro
Win Vista 64bit
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

da_giz wrote:
Wonder how many monitors is the maximum with ATI cards in CF plus a triplehead for each DVI output..... :D
...um? a great many?

Xerion
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Xerion »

It's still more awesome to have multiple DLP projectors on triplehead2go ;)
Current Rig: Intel i7 920 @ 4.0GHz, 6 GB ram, Geforce GTX670 -> Nvidia 3D Vision on LG 47LM615S (interlaced, spoofing Zalman EDID) + Oculus Rift
Control Peripherals: Novint Falcon, Razer Hydra, P5 Glove, XBOX 360 Controller, Wiimote, Saitek X52 Pro (flight control system), Logitech G27 (racing wheel), Logitech G15 (keyboard), Razer Naga Molten Edition (mouse)
Welder
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Welder »

Xerion wrote:It's still more awesome to have multiple DLP projectors on triplehead2go ;)
IDK, for some reason I just really like the iZ3D Monitors, I can't put my finger on it.. But I do.

And, thanks Yuriy!!

And to answer your questions da_giz:
Yes, one Triple Head2Go has all the fronts, and the other has all the backs.

That's all cards can handle, because with crossfireX, only 2 outputs are enabled.

Hmm... What about, 3 triple heads, fed from one triple head.. so, a total of 9 oututs on each DVI slot, totaling 18 outputs, so 9 iZ3D's.. That would be awesome haha.
Xerion
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Xerion »

Welder wrote:
Xerion wrote:It's still more awesome to have multiple DLP projectors on triplehead2go ;)
IDK, for some reason I just really like the iZ3D Monitors, I can't put my finger on it.. But I do.
I bet you do :D

Seriously though, I don't see iZ3D monitors big enough for lifesize games anytime soon ;)
Current Rig: Intel i7 920 @ 4.0GHz, 6 GB ram, Geforce GTX670 -> Nvidia 3D Vision on LG 47LM615S (interlaced, spoofing Zalman EDID) + Oculus Rift
Control Peripherals: Novint Falcon, Razer Hydra, P5 Glove, XBOX 360 Controller, Wiimote, Saitek X52 Pro (flight control system), Logitech G27 (racing wheel), Logitech G15 (keyboard), Razer Naga Molten Edition (mouse)
LukePC1

Post by LukePC1 »

Jep I think 9 Screens is the next nice step after 3. If you use 6 screens for shooters you have the crosshair at the wrong place :-(

yuriythebest1 wrote:
da_giz wrote:
...um? a great many?

Did you see where the crosshair should be? No? I can't see the spot either :D
ayqz1u0s

Welder
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Welder »

yuriythebest1 wrote:wow that looks killer! Congratz! any particular reason though the screens are so far apart?
I could sit them directly next to each other, but it's not as Emersive, so I have them at a 45 degree angle facing me :) Looks better, because then you get it in your peripheral vision, and it looks amazing.
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

Welder wrote: Hmm... What about, 3 triple heads, fed from one triple head.. so, a total of 9 oututs on each DVI slot, totaling 18 outputs, so 9 iZ3D's.. That would be awesome haha.
yeah....

Welder
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Welder »

Oh my!!

That would be completely totally awesome

And, they have mounting brackets, so if a wall could be constructed, it could be possible.

Not sure if the Matrox fed into another matrox idea would function though now that I think about it.
Welder
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Welder »

Just upgraded the video card to an nVidia GTX280 ;)

Now it's reallll smooth!
nubie
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by nubie »

You suck, I am so jealous :P

Have you given any thought (with your apparently vast resources) to building 30" dual polarized display?

I think the tech is simple enough to construct yourself, and even if you don't want to disassemble them for front-back iZ3D style you can do it in Planar :).

Trust me the ghosting is slim to nil on Planar :).

Why not leave the side monitors on a single triplehead (or do a left eye/right eye split so you can use standard side monitors)? It is not like you can see stereoscopically outside of a 30" main display anyway, your face will only allow one eye to see peripherally :)

Just a thought, how I wish I had the resources to do this (or if a willing company would hire me on to test this stuff as a job :) )
Welder
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Welder »

Well, that would require our manufacturer to create new prototypes :P

And I didn't do a planar thing, because, well, I don't work for planar ;)
nubie
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by nubie »

So you are involved with iZ3D?

(Does Planar own a patent? Because IIRC a patent has to be on a non-obvious technology, and I "invented" it myself in 2006 without knowledge of Planar.)

Does your "manufacturer" have to create the prototype? IIRC there was a proof-of-concept from iZ3D that looked like two commercial screens disassembled and placed in a frame.

Just get two, open up, remove polarizer, re-assemble with two panels, isn't it that easy? (trust me if I had a spare $1,000 I would have attempted this myself :D )

Edit: no need to do a real planar, do one on a desk with a sheet of plain glass (don't even need to tell us about it, just try it before you tear up the 30" displays to make an iZ3D setup :) After you see the Planar you will really want to do the front-back one :) :) )
nubie
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by nubie »

Planar shouldn't be allowed to patent and demand royalties on something that is a simple property of light, people have been "inventing" it for years on their own: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlQyy6i3tPo

I know nobody is willing to fight their patent, but surely it must be simple to prove prior knowledge of this effect and thus null their patent (what are their royalties anyway? I don't think anybody is using them for gaming, just medical and engineering uses)

I am looking for instructions on building a diy front-back monitor, it can't be that hard.
Welder
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Welder »

nubie wrote:So you are involved with iZ3D?

(Does Planar own a patent? Because IIRC a patent has to be on a non-obvious technology, and I "invented" it myself in 2006 without knowledge of Planar.)

Does your "manufacturer" have to create the prototype? IIRC there was a proof-of-concept from iZ3D that looked like two commercial screens disassembled and placed in a frame.

Just get two, open up, remove polarizer, re-assemble with two panels, isn't it that easy? (trust me if I had a spare $1,000 I would have attempted this myself :D )

Edit: no need to do a real planar, do one on a desk with a sheet of plain glass (don't even need to tell us about it, just try it before you tear up the 30" displays to make an iZ3D setup :) After you see the Planar you will really want to do the front-back one :) :) )
Look at my signature ;)

And, unfortunately I am by no means an engineer of any kind, so tearing apart our monitor, and creating a frame, with 3, etc, would not be something I could do :) Not to mention, that would surely void our warranty if I did that XD
nubie
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by nubie »

Welder wrote: Look at my signature ;)

oops, :)
And, unfortunately I am by no means an engineer of any kind, so tearing apart our monitor, and creating a frame, with 3, etc, would not be something I could do :) Not to mention, that would surely void our warranty if I did that XD
I think you misunderstood me, use only one 30" screen, they are very high res and very wide. Then at each side use a non-3D screen because you only have one eye there anyway (it preserves the peripheral vision without ridiculous expense)

No engineer on staff working with 30" or larger displays? I am very impressed with your software though, so I guess that is a plus :).

As far as how your monitors work, unless I am much mistaken they are standard LCDs with one or more missing polarization layers, there are instructions on stripping a polarization layer on many DIY projector websites, I frequent the lumenlab forums personally.

So you just strip two 30" lcds and place the panels together, then re-assemble (It isn't really that simple, but I am surprised that there is no R&D into very high res panels taking place, 2560x1600 for example.)
Welder
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Welder »

nubie wrote:
Welder wrote: Look at my signature ;)

oops, :)
I think you misunderstood me, use only one 30" screen, they are very high res and very wide. Then at each side use a non-3D screen because you only have one eye there anyway (it preserves the peripheral vision without ridiculous expense)

No engineer on staff working with 30" or larger displays? I am very impressed with your software though, so I guess that is a plus :).

As far as how your monitors work, unless I am much mistaken they are standard LCDs with one or more missing polarization layers, there are instructions on stripping a polarization layer on many DIY projector websites, I frequent the lumenlab forums personally.

So you just strip two 30" lcds and place the panels together, then re-assemble (It isn't really that simple, but I am surprised that there is no R&D into very high res panels taking place, 2560x1600 for example.)

Unfortunately our monitor is a bit more tricky than just sticking two LCD's together ;)

The front panel is non-standard. Any prototyping would need to be done with our manufacturer :) Plus there is also a special diffuser as well. So, not so simple unfortunately ;)
LukePC1

Post by LukePC1 »

I don't think there is any need to bulild an IZ3D on ones own, because now they have planar support in the driver. And you won't loos the varanty when you do that :D
ayqz1u0s

nubie
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by nubie »

Welder wrote: Unfortunately our monitor is a bit more tricky than just sticking two LCD's together ;)

The front panel is non-standard. Any prototyping would need to be done with our manufacturer :) Plus there is also a special diffuser as well. So, not so simple unfortunately ;)
Prototypes don't need a front panel :), and 2 lcd + 1 diffuser doesn't sound like rocket science to me :P.

I will leave it here though, you aren't the R&D guy, and like I said before, I respect the software side of the company greatly.
LukePC1 wrote:I don't think there is any need to bulild an IZ3D on ones own, because now they have planar support in the driver. And you won't loos the varanty when you do that :D
I don't have the money to try it either way, but if I could get my hands on some of this stuff you bet I would :). If you don't break it they can't tell you opened it :P.

I was just very surprised to learn that there doesn't seem to be a R&D department hacking it up like the good old days, but I suppose it is to be expected, the proof of concept phase of the company was a long time ago.

And if the focus is software and support of every solution I can be plenty OK with it ;), as it means they provide the part of the equation that I can't do, IE software, and I do the parts that involve a screwdriver :D :D.
Welder
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Welder »

Our monitor is set to self destruct if opened! (Just kidding ;) )
But yes, I am not a software, or an R&D guy, OR a sales guy. I am more of "The IT Guy"

And they may be hacking things up at the lab, who knows :) I am at the USA office, so Russia is a bit far from me ;)
sharky
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by sharky »

hey weldy! stop eating pasta it goes to your brain! :D lol realllly cool!

knowing that ti towrks a technically skilled guy (me for example... lol ) could unmount them and peace toghether a new "single" monitor.. that would be REALLLLLLLLLLY fun.. hey iz3d want me to test? :D lol
Adam Savage: "I reject your reality and substitute it for my own."
Jamie Hyneman: "It's really cool, but really unusual."

nubie
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by nubie »

Haha, like a story I heard where the guy in Gamestop tells people the X360 has a "chip smasher" to break the CPU if you open it. Benheck had to just give up the argument, then he disassembled it and made it into a laptop :). (benheck.com is the website, he takes apart just about everything :) )
CraziFuzzy
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: So, I was bored ;) And created the Ultimate 3D Experience!

Post by CraziFuzzy »

I think as you are getting up to these massive arrays of monitors, you obviously start to see the problem with the bezels. This is why i feel any large screen gaming (we're talking high FOV gaming, like those 6 and 9 monitor setups) would be better served by a projector, and a parabolic screen. There is a reason this is how simulators do it. The cost of two projectors, the polarizing filter, and the screen would probably end up being considerably cheaper than 9 iz3d monitors, and 3 TH2G. And considerably more immersive.
Welder
Certif-Eyed!

Re: So, I was bored ;) And created the Ultimate 3D Experience!

Post by Welder »

Actually 9 iZ3D's would require 6 TH2G's ;)
budda
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Best of IZ3D AND Planar setup

Post by budda »

Hi,

As far as I know, nobody has published a design which combines a Planar with another 3D method such as IZ3D.

The Planar arrangement is used only to eliminate the bezel interference, while the supported 3D technology does all the 3D work.

As an example, imagine 3 monitors in a left, middle and right position.

In this example the left and right monitors are real displays. However, the center monitor is displayed through a planar up/down mirror. The center display has to be mirrored in software so its image does not appear reversed.

Ultramon is capable of mirroring the displays in software.

The nvidia stereo software for XP also has the option to align and blend images (in projector format mode).

Edit: In the case of the IZ3D which uses 45/135 degree passive polarization, the image in the planar mirror will cause the eyes to swap sides, so for this arrangement to work a method of swapping the eyes in software would be needed for the center monitor to appear consistent with the left and right monitors.

The advantages of this method are:

[1] The resulting images are seemless, as the bezels dont make gaps in the image.

[2] The native S3D technology is supported

[3] This planar method does not require passive polarizers for stereo L-R viewing

[4] Any type of 3D display panel can be used.

[5] There is flexibility in panel size, placement and orientation (portrait v landscape)

Anyway, if someone is bored maybe they can cobble this together. 8)

Thanks. :D

Return to “General Stereoscopic 3D Discussion”