colorcode 3-D

hsv
One Eyed Hopeful

colorcode 3-D

Post by hsv »

Hi all
Just wanting to know if colorcode 3d has any advantages over traditional red /cyan and are there any good plastic colorcode glasses out there or are paper ones just as good

Cheers

Rhys
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Re: colorcode 3-D

Post by Likay »

My own preference if i have to use colorfiltered 3d (dolby/infitec of course not counted) is anaglyph red/cyan using Dubois algorithm but i'd say that the impression seems highly individual. In the end all solutions depending on colorfiltering has the same properties and shares same disadvantages so basically no colorfiltering method is superior to others.
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Each anaglyph method has its own pros and cons. Personally, I enjoy standard red/cyan the best, especially with the Pro-Ana glasses. However ColorCode is pretty good also. On content that is not very strong in color (like a gray scene) ColorCode can look nearly as good as shutter glasses with only a slight loss of color detail (again, on very specific content). But with very colorful scenes it is not as great. I find red/cyan to handle colors better, with the drawback of increased retinal rivalry. The depth in either case is pretty much the same, its not that one type of glasses will look more "3D" or anything.

I am just using the paper ColorCode viewers ( http://www.berezin.com/3d/3dglasses.htm#Colorcode" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ), but there are higher quality glasses available.
http://www.colorcode3d.com/VPoly.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.colorcode3d.com/VPro.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've never used the plastic ones, but I'm sure they are better than the cheapo paper versions (though maybe not as much as the price suggests).
ShawmK
Cross Eyed!

Post by ShawmK »

I've never liked colorcode personally; I find the lenses are too dark and I have a hard time actually getting any depth perception out of the images. If I need to convert any of my own photos into anaglyph I just use red/cyan.

My understanding of Colorcode is that it was developed for television; broadcast NTSC can have problems with both red and green if the signal isn't tuned correctly. I've never seen any advantage to using Colorcode anywhere else...
billqs
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by billqs »

Is there any truth to the stated fact from its creators that Colorcode uses the Amber eye for color reproduction and chroma and Blue for a (bluized) parallax luma?

Maybe my understanding of Anaglyph is incomplete, but I thought traditional anaglyph was color-coded left and right views. Would this make Colorcode somehow different?
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

It's somewhat true, but it does still work in exactly the same way than other anaglyph techniques. ColorCode 3D mostly preserves the color reproduction for one eye in order to allow a better 2D experience, but you still need both images for the brain to make up the depth information.
motorman45
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by motorman45 »

I have seen Color Code and it works ok but has a real imbalance to the energy = eye strain. have you guys heard of the Omega 3D passive filter system ?? it is in some ways like Dolby but you can actually buy it. its not polarizing or anaglyph. Ive been playing UT3 and call of duty on a passive dual projector system with these filters. it is the same thing as Panavision 3D cinema systems.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Where can you buy this Omega 3D and for how much for the whole setup?
motorman45
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by motorman45 »

It is on Ebay. here is a vid of the kit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10xwnUi5 ... ure=relmfu

if you serch Ebay for Omega 3D several kits will come up. Ive been playing mostly Call of Duty on it.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

$350 w/ 5 glasses! That's pretty affordable. Even buying just 5 shutter glasses for an active system could cost you that much.

Just bought a 3D DLP projector myself, but I could imagine some people would dig this.
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

I fail to see the interest of this solution compared to an active system for a home use. Considering the example shown on their ebay store (using prices from Amazon for the projectors) :

5 viewers :
- passive : 5 glasses + filters ($350) + 2 Panasonic PT-AX200U2 projectors ($800) : $1150
- active : 5 UltraClear DLP-Link glasses ($200) + Acer H5360 projector ($450) : $650

10 viewers :
- passive : 10 glasses + filters ($450) + 2 Panasonic PT-AX200U2 projectors ($800) : $1250
- active : 10 UltraClear DLP-Link glasses ($400) + Acer H5360 projector ($450) : $850

15 viewers :
- passive : 15 glasses + filters ($600) + 2 Panasonic PT-AX200U2 projectors ($800) : $1400
- active : 15 UltraClear DLP-Link glasses ($600) + Acer H5360 projector ($450) : $1050

20 viewers :
- passive : 20 glasses + filters ($600) + 2 Panasonic PT-AX200U2 projectors ($800) : $1400
- active : 20 UltraClear DLP-Link glasses ($800) + Acer H5360 projector ($450) : $1250

25 viewers :
- passive : 25 glasses + filters ($600) + 2 Panasonic PT-AX200U2 projectors ($800) : $1400
- active : 25 UltraClear DLP-Link glasses ($1000) + Acer H5360 projector ($450) : $1450

Maybe interesting for a small to mid-size cinema theater (≥ 25 viewers), but not really for a home theater. They really need to lower the cost of their glasses and filters if they want to convince amateurs.
motorman45
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by motorman45 »

the main advantage of a dual projector setup is constant 3d to the eyes and far better brightness. you dont need 3d ready projectors as each is shwoing a separate 2d image. its not for everyone but it easier on the eyes than some shutter glasses.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

@Fredz: Well yes, if you pick the cheapest projector and glasses available that would make your point. But some glasses can go for has high as $80 or 90 each (Monster, etc.). Also, I imagine some people with traditional 2D home theater setups could add another identical 2D projector (maybe used for cheap) and utilize a passive setup like this Omega thing. Certainly not for everyone, and its not something I would be interested in personally. I think maintaining 2 projectors (alignment, software, etc.) to be more of a hassle than its worth. But certainly some people will want to try this.
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

cybereality wrote:@Fredz: Well yes, if you pick the cheapest projector and glasses available that would make your point.
Choosing the UltraClear DLP-Link glasses seems to make a lot of sense considering the good comments they have on AVS compared to other glasses. I don't see a reason why anyone would buy 2x more expensive glasses for a marginal improvement (if any).

The Acer H5360 is also not the cheapest 3D projector available either, it's one of the most popular on this forum and others, and I choosed it because it's very similar to the Panasonic PT-AX200U2 used in their ebay presentation (720p both).

And the price difference would be the same or even worse with better projectors.

On their page for dual LCD projectors they use the Panasonic AR100U as an illustration for 1080p ($1300 on Amazon). The best 1080p 3D projector at this time seems to be the Acer H9500BD considering the reviews I read ($1700 on Amazon).

5 viewers :
- passive : 5 glasses + filters ($350) + 2 Panasonic PT-AX200U2 projectors ($2600) : $2950
- active : 5 UltraClear DLP-Link glasses ($200) + Acer H9500BD projector ($1700) : $1900

25 viewers :
- passive : 25 glasses + filters ($600) + 2 Panasonic PT-AX200U2 projectors ($2600) : $3200
- active : 25 UltraClear DLP-Link glasses ($1000) + Acer H9500BD projector ($1700) : $2700

So even with 1080p projectors the Omega 3D solution is way more expensive than a solution with a single 3D projector and DLP-Link glasses for 5 to 25 viewers.

There are some advantages with this solution as motorman45 said, like having no flickering, a constant 2D image for each eye and better brightness. You can add to that the possibility to have 1080p at 60Hz per eye in 3D when the DLP solution can only do 720 at 60Hz or 1080p at 24Hz per eye.

But with a price difference of $1050 for 5 viewers and the problems you talked about (alignment, software) and no HDMI 1.4 compatibility, it doesn't look like the best bang for the buck to me...
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Yeah, actually you are probably right. I guess it just seemed cheap to me compared to what I've seen the Dolby/Infitec systems costing.
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

The main reason to go the dual projector route is to get as close to equal imagequality in 3d that there is in 2d. If you want the best then a dual projection rig is worth every penny. The main problem today is imo proper and futureproof softwaresupport.
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
motorman45
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by motorman45 »

I agree that the image quality is as good as 2D, it can look amazing with a stack of two projectors. but there is the issue of software. ive been playing COD and UT3 and a little of Portal 2 using the tridef ignition driver. but there is not a lot of choices. the stereoscopic player is great and supports dual ouput for a stack but not gaming.
a demultiplexor with hdmi in and two out is the other alternative for consoles, i prefer a PC for gaming myself but i think one could use a good demux box to replace the need for software. just output the stereoscopic 3d from an hdmi 1.4 video card into a demux box and there you have it. ??? i think. i need to try this
dohko85
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by dohko85 »

cybereality wrote:Each anaglyph method has its own pros and cons. Personally, I enjoy standard red/cyan the best, especially with the Pro-Ana glasses. However ColorCode is pretty good also. On content that is not very strong in color (like a gray scene) ColorCode can look nearly as good as shutter glasses with only a slight loss of color detail (again, on very specific content). But with very colorful scenes it is not as great. I find red/cyan to handle colors better, with the drawback of increased retinal rivalry. The depth in either case is pretty much the same, its not that one type of glasses will look more "3D" or anything.

I am just using the paper ColorCode viewers ( http://www.berezin.com/3d/3dglasses.htm#Colorcode" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ), but there are higher quality glasses available.
http://www.colorcode3d.com/VPoly.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.colorcode3d.com/VPro.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've never used the plastic ones, but I'm sure they are better than the cheapo paper versions (though maybe not as much as the price suggests).
red cyan best? I read this on wikipedia

red-cyan pure red pure cyan (green+blue) color (poor reds, good greens) good color perception of green and blue, no red. Currently the most common in use. Regular version (red channel has only the red third of the view) Half version (red channel is a red-tinted grayscale view. Less retinal rivalry)

Trioscopic pure green pure magenta (red+blue) color (better reds, oranges and wider range of blues than red/cyan) Same principle as red-cyan, somewhat newer. Less chromatic aberration, as the red and blue in magenta brightness balance well with green.

trioscopic should be slightly better.

A question...
I can used the glasses colorcode with stereoscopic player set to yellow/blue?
I tested without glasses the official program ColorCode 3D player, and I see the image is identical to stereoscopic player set to yellow/blue.
On the web I not find pure yello/blue glasses, only amber/blue official from colorcode and not official.

"cybereality" I find on web, glasses perhaps best than pro-ana, the s3D http://www.scenes.it/occhiali3d.html
The lens are made in PMMA Poly (methyl methacrylate), (crystalline lens)
The lens made pro-ana is PET or acrylic

What do you think?
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Well I personally like Red/Cyan the best. They all basically work the same way but favor different colors. Based on the content, some styles may work better than others.

Return to “General Stereoscopic 3D Discussion”