Negative parallax in games? ("pop out of screen" effect)

hifidelitygaming
One Eyed Hopeful

Negative parallax in games? ("pop out of screen" effect)

Post by hifidelitygaming »

Are there any games which use negative parallax settings for anything, that is settings where the object appears closer than the screen is?

The first (only) time i've ever seen it was first running the Wicked 3D drivers... I put the glasses on my head, saw the logo come out of the monitor STRAIGHT AT MY HEAD and dodged so severely I fell off my chair. :) I've never seen it in demos or in the Nvidia setup wizard when I played with it or anywhere else... there's valid reasons not to use it (cinematographically) but for HUD's and such it might be a neat effect... I was just wondering if anything has actually ever used the effect, let alone well.
Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Negative parallax in games? ("pop out of screen" effect)

Post by Neil »

This is very common and is available with driver "convergence" settings. If you look at the GameGrade3D database, anything with an A, B, or C rating has the visual flexibility you are looking for. D rated games are depth-only.

Regards,
Neil
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

The Nvidia sample application has some pop out in it (hit 'test stereoscopic 3d' from the Nvidia panel). Some games can have minor popout in certain cases (as Neil said when you adjust convergence). Usually it doesn't make sense in a game to have pop-out, for example in a first-person title how can something be closer than the camera? It is cool when done right though.
Neil

Post by Neil »

Ahah! So the debate begins! When is pop-out appropriate?

When I play first person shooters, I go so far as to walk up to a wall or object until it converges. This is a little extreme, but here's a naked eye example:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBT6_TY7L9c[/youtube]

I really enjoy it when walking through grass or seeing the edges of objects come out of the screen. Sure, depth-only is more true to life...but why restrict yourself?!? Life sucks. :lol:

Regards,
Neil
Doon1
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Doon1 »

The only time I found pop-out to have any real WOW factor was on a 10' projector screen (or the theater). For me it's disconcerting to have something pop-out of a screen I can see the edges of.
I had that same fall back in my chair with the Wicked-3D drivers, Starwars X-wing fighter, and the 10' screen.
John
Zloth
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Zloth »

How is depth only more true to life??

I love pop out but there are things that can ruin it; namely the HUD at screen depth and the edges of the screen itself. When something at screen depth covers something that is supposed to be closer to you than the screen then the whole illusion that your monitor is just an open window to the game world vanishes in a mind-bender of conflicting info.
"Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of."
- They Might Be Giants
WiredEarp
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by WiredEarp »

Not in sims tho. For example, I can make the cockpit gauges totally non 2D, and have the cockpit closer to me stick out towards me (so the controls appear to be floating in front of the screen) and that increases immersion rather than reducing it.

Return to “General Stereoscopic 3D Discussion”