Any Windows based 3D GUI's out there?

3DWolf
One Eyed Hopeful

Any Windows based 3D GUI's out there?

Post by 3DWolf »

I was wondering if there are any popular 3D interfaces for Windows out there?
Perhaps a stereo 3D Windows Explorer or GUI for desktop?
I have seen some old stuff mentioned at http://nooface.net/3dui.shtml but I was hoping to find something a little newer and complete/polished.

I am using Vizio stereo 3D TV 32" (passive) with Nvidia GTX 275 dual HDMI output. My Windows 7 machine is just begging to go stereo 3D. Any ideas?
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Any Windows based 3D GUI's out there?

Post by cybereality »

I have not seen anything like this, but it would be cool if there was. The only thing I heard of was a way to make the Windows desktop into side-by-side mode, so you didn't constantly have to switch 3D modes on the TV. There was also a 3D desktop for Linux someone made (video posted around here somewhere). Looked really nice actually.
3dvison
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by 3dvison »

cybereality wrote:IThe only thing I heard of was a way to make the Windows desktop into side-by-side mode, so you didn't constantly have to switch 3D modes on the TV.
Hey cybereality,
Could that be used with the HMD Palmer is working on ?
Wonder if he knows about it ?
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

3dvison wrote: Hey cybereality,
Could that be used with the HMD Palmer is working on ?
Wonder if he knows about it ?
In that case, no, since it only showed the desktop on one side (the other was white). That is enough for 3DTVs (just take off the glasses) but won't work with HMDs. However, it shows at least that something like this is possible in Windows so maybe someone else can try something similar.
ID3SBTM
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by ID3SBTM »

Bumptop (youtube video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aykT9w-8LFs, acquired by Google in 2010, can still be downloaded from PCWorld here: http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file/f ... ption.html ...I'm downloading it now. Doubt it's stereoscopic enabled, but it's still hella cool.
hifidelitygaming
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by hifidelitygaming »

In theory i'd assume anything would be 3d enabled if it renders to a 3d buffer for the screen... there wont be a "profile" for it but isn't it possible to force it on for a game or manually enter a profile? (not using 3d currently I dont know, but i'd assume that were the case)

One on that list is 3D Top - one I saw YEARS ago, but it was a 100% 3d representation - like walking around a 3d environment level, sort of like playing a Doom Windows. : P Organize 3d icons by physical position, put them in a room hanging in the air or on a wall or whatever... then move to a different part of the room like a virtual desktop almost for a different arrangement of stuff. In reality trying to use a 3d desktop was clumsy, slow, required alot of work to set up, and was just plain less convenient than a virtual desktop. No disagreement that it wouldn't look cool though.

Put another way - a 3D desktop, with a 2d mouse, clumsy keyboard based movement around the world, and no real tools for easy 3d icon/object editing wasn't very useful. :( If you were using a 6DOF movement controller on one hand, a glove based manipulator in the other hand, and had easy to use tools for setting up a 3d workspace it'd be pretty awesome.

--
EDIT: FWIW, if you dont mind waiting a couple years yet, Oblong (the company that made the Minority Report gesture-based interface... yes that was a real interface... yes it really works about that way, right now, used in oil/gas industry for instance and other high end stuff so far) expects it's tech will eventually be on "every desktop" by 2020, hopefully a decent percentage well before that. It's called g-speak, and it's the human interface component that really makes a 3d desktop model/object manipulation work.

Return to “General Stereoscopic 3D Discussion”