It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:40 am



Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 TriDef or NVIDIA 3D Vision; which do you prefer? 
Author Message
One Eyed Hopeful

Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:17 pm
Posts: 26
Both solutions have come a long way, so I was curious as to how people think the two stack up against each other. From what I've seen, 3D Vision has been more passive when it comes to 2D and 3D conversion, and is dependent on the actual game developers, whereas TriDef is centered around bringing the best possible experience to games that don't have native 3D support. However, 3D Vision is less obtrusive since it's driver-based, and has the benefit of seeing direct support from developers. Ultimately, they both have their ups and downs, but I thought it would be interesting to see which solution people turn to more.


Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:28 pm
Profile
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:18 pm
Posts: 10930
I find Nvidia has better support (in general), but that DDD has a better 3D experience overall. Even though Nvidia has developer support, they do stupid things like disable convergence controls. I find the options in the DDD driver to be very robust, and it results in more intense 3D effects (in many games). DDD is also smart about handling things like guns in FPS games, skyboxes, and things like that. But Nvidia has a higher number of games support, and no problems with anti-cheat tools (PunkBuster, etc.). So there are pros and cons both ways.

_________________
check my blog - cybereality.com


Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:55 pm
Profile
One Eyed Hopeful

Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:17 pm
Posts: 26
cybereality wrote:
I find Nvidia has better support (in general), but that DDD has a better 3D experience overall. Even though Nvidia has developer support, they do stupid things like disable convergence controls. I find the options in the DDD driver to be very robust, and it results in more intense 3D effects (in many games). DDD is also smart about handling things like guns in FPS games, skyboxes, and things like that. But Nvidia has a higher number of games support, and no problems with anti-cheat tools (PunkBuster, etc.). So there are pros and cons both ways.


Yeah, the TriDef staff I believe actually goes in and corrects all those errors themselves, while the NVIDIA side is dependent on the community (modders) to fix them. This becomes a problem with games that aren't as open as something like Elder Scrolls, as you're pretty much out of luck when it comes to applying fixes and tweaks. I'm almost tempted to ignore NVIDIA completely since non-proprietary 3D monitors always look more tempting in terms of pricing, but 3D Vision still does have a hefty amount of native 3D support, and the list will most likely grow overtime. As much as I wish you could just buy one over the other, you'll end up missing out on something if you do.


Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:07 pm
Profile
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:47 pm
Posts: 1445
So, does Skyrim work perfectly with DDD? Because, in 3D Vision, its perfect (once you have the sky patch) except for the water, which I find really annoying.

Osobari, 3D Vision isn't dependant on the developers, because it can make most DirectX games work fine. However, if you were meaning that it lacks the DDD staffs ability to tweak things, then yep.

If you want to support both, I guess you have go to for 3D Vision, as you can use a 3D Vision monitor with DDD, but probably not the other way around (i have no idea, actually).


Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:52 am
Profile
One Eyed Hopeful

Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:17 pm
Posts: 26
WiredEarp wrote:
So, does Skyrim work perfectly with DDD? Because, in 3D Vision, its perfect (once you have the sky patch) except for the water, which I find really annoying.

Osobari, 3D Vision isn't dependant on the developers, because it can make most DirectX games work fine. However, if you were meaning that it lacks the DDD staffs ability to tweak things, then yep.

If you want to support both, I guess you have go to for 3D Vision, as you can use a 3D Vision monitor with DDD, but probably not the other way around (i have no idea, actually).


To clarify, I meant that 3D Vision CAN convert non-3D Ready games like DDD, just not as well since there's not a team of professionals going into such games and fixing the problem. By "developer dependent", I meant that NVIDIA tries to get the developers to fix certain things in their game to make it work better with 3D Vision, rather than try to fix it themselves. Oh, and you can support both solutions both ways, it's just that going for a non-3D Vision monitor will require you to use 3DTV Play, which only works with HDMI. Unless the price difference between a non-proprietary 3D monitor and a 3D Vision monitor is significant, I'd probably go the route that doesn't limit me to HDMI.

Also, from what I've heard on their forums, Skyrim is 100% perfect with DDD; water and everything. 3D Vision's water solution isn't all that bad, but I'm sure most would prefer the tranquility of clear water.


Last edited by Osobari on Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.



Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:12 am
Profile
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:47 pm
Posts: 1445
Cheers, I thought that was probably what you meant.

I'll grab DDD and try it with Skyrim and let you know if its no better! because im really sick of the water, everything else looks really fun!

If Nvidia would wise up and allow easy ways to tweak the driver settings, it would help the support of their product!


Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:15 am
Profile
One Eyed Hopeful

Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:17 pm
Posts: 26
WiredEarp wrote:
Cheers, I thought that was probably what you meant.

I'll grab DDD and try it with Skyrim and let you know if its no better! because im really sick of the water, everything else looks really fun!

If Nvidia would wise up and allow easy ways to tweak the driver settings, it would help the support of their product!


Yeah, NVIDIA feels like the Apple of GPUs at times. If it weren't for all the games that have native 3D Vision support, I probably wouldn't even consider buying from them. Their cards don't even seem to outperform the high-end AMD cards to the degree that I'd expect with the price difference, at least in most games I've looked at that interest me.


Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:20 am
Profile
One Eyed Hopeful

Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:17 pm
Posts: 26
Anyone else? I figured there'd be more people that have used both, especially since DDD has a 14-day free trial.


Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:18 pm
Profile
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:47 pm
Posts: 1445
From my experience, Nvidia drivers used to be more reliable. However, last AMD card I had was a 9700 PRO way back in the day.

The new AMD cards are supposed to be faster than the Nvidia ones for the same price, so it looks like they do have a performance advantage currently. Whether this is mitigated in 3D mode is another question - also, if you want triple screen 3D, I think Nvidia is the only one that works properly currently...?


Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:47 pm
Profile
One Eyed Hopeful

Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:17 pm
Posts: 26
WiredEarp wrote:
From my experience, Nvidia drivers used to be more reliable. However, last AMD card I had was a 9700 PRO way back in the day.

The new AMD cards are supposed to be faster than the Nvidia ones for the same price, so it looks like they do have a performance advantage currently. Whether this is mitigated in 3D mode is another question - also, if you want triple screen 3D, I think Nvidia is the only one that works properly currently...?


I believe AMD is adding support for multiple-screen 3D, and yeah, their current GPU is the fastest. Of course, that'll be until NVIDIA releases THEIR next gen GPUs, which will most likely dominate in performance. A new release versus a several year old series is of course going to win in the technical aspect.


Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:05 pm
Profile
One Eyed Hopeful

Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:58 am
Posts: 1
I have an amd 5850, which is supposed to have 3d ability via their hd3d..

I guess that doesnt really help (natively), with a game like skyrim or batman? IE: you still need a 3rd party driver to make it work like tridef (DDD)?

Ive read that batman arkham city was natively built around 3d vision, but tridef will work with it, however only in directx 9 mode not 11, losing many of the benefits of dx11.

Its a shame for PC users this has to be so difficult.. with a 360 you just plug it in to your 3d ready tv and go to town.


Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:05 pm
Profile
One Eyed Hopeful
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:19 am
Posts: 42
Location: Ft Worth, Tx
I have used both types (on a hacked LG passive 3D monitor), and found ups and downs on both.

DDD: Less capable as a movie player (only supporting over/under, side/side, sensio... but not interlaced), and as a driver only supports the top 10% of the games. Also, one of my fave 3D players (Stereoscopic player) is not supported directly (and never got it working indirectly).

3D-Vision: Compatible with a -lot- more games out of the box, as well as most of the 3D players out there (The built-in 3D player sucks). There are mild ghosting images on movies however, something DDD has no trouble with.

_________________
Image


Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:31 am
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 6:00 pm
Posts: 4631
Hi Shilar,

I disagree that Nvidia is more compatible with more games out of the box than DDD. TriDef has a generic profile, and it has settings that Nvidia doesn't give access to out of the gate. That's not to say that DDD has more compatibility than Nvidia, however.

In my opinion, threads like this are only useful if they have a base of reference. This is why GameGrade3D is so important. As gamers submit and update findings (which is very easy to do), everyone will have an accurate picture of what works, what doesn't, and under what conditions. Based on some private exchanges, I think some gamers are a bit scared of tests like this because they think it will somehow undermine their favorite solutions, and I think this is a poor reason to do or not do something. Public tests like this are a good motivator for driver developers to take pride in their QA efforts and get measurable bug fixing data. It also keeps the marketing claimss honest by making sure they actually mean something.

Regards,
Neil

_________________
Image
- Nov. 23 & 24, 2014. Toronto, Ontario, Canada
- First major East Coast conference for immersive technologies like VR, AR, 3D, and more.
- Use "gettingimmersed" discount code to take $200 off registration (limited time, availability).
- Non-profit, government backed (Canada Media Fund, Ontario Centres of Excellence)


Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:14 pm
Profile WWW
One Eyed Hopeful

Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:04 pm
Posts: 32
Tridef is the only decent game interface ive found that i can game with dual projector output for passive 3D with my setup.


Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:49 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Designed by STSoftware.