Tell Us about that experience with 3D you'll never forget.

Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Tell Us about that experience with 3D you'll never forget.

Post by Chiefwinston »

I'll start. The year was around the 1997-98 time frame. I'm playing Unreal Tournament on a couple of 3dfx video cards and a high end 21" profesional vewsonic CRT. The 3D was tweeked so strong that I had to turn the gun geometry off in the console commands. I had one custome kick ass rocket areana some kind gentleman crafted himself. The Rocket fire was just superb with the 3d smoke plume from behind the rockets. I played this one custome arena for hours and hours it was sooooo cool. And so one night I'm playing and enjoying the show and some guy shot a rocket from behind me. Once I turned around the rocket was closing in on me fast. I literally leaped sideways out of my chair and kinked my neck trying not to get hit from this rocket thats coming off the screen. My mind was so immersed that my body reacted instinctively on its own to get out of the way. Once I got up and recomposed I laughed for about 5 minutes. I couldn't believe I was in the game that much. 3D- there's nothing quite like it.
Do you have your own similar story. I'd like to here it.

and cheers
Last edited by Chiefwinston on Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Panasonic Plasma VT25 50" (Full HD 3D)
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
Serving up my own 3D since 1996.
(34) Patents
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Re: Tell Us about that experience with 3D you'll never forge

Post by Likay »

I have always been a sucker for the tomb raider series since i started to use 3d. I brought three of my friends to a "cinemaevening" to play various games. Among them were tomb raider anniversary. At one point in the game you need to pull away some rocks to reveal clues behind them. Behind a few of them there are also black panthers. :twisted:
The first panther jumped straight at our throats and my friends ducked for safety! I wish i taped it!
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
Dom
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Dom »

I ordered my e-dims in late 2007-08 or sometime and ran the e-dim drivers as I was new to 3d and did not know you needed a 7000 series card, but I loaded one of my favorite games quake 3 arena. When I got the 3d turned on my 19 inch passay monitor everything looked like it had volume and the shotgun I was holding and when I dropped it, it actually looked like it was falling through space inside my monitor. Alot of the volume/popout things I will miss. Also in farcry I remember having a more interesting 3d experience with all the volume and when I was testing scarface in 3d the menu when paused came out of the screen.

Oh but I think one of the best was tombraider angel of darkness, i think.

I'm actually seriously thinking about building a windows xp nvidia 7000 series 3d computer again. All I need is a case and powersupply and a few extra things.

I seen the nvidia time logo float inside my room too, looked like a hologram, even the popout from the games looked like a hologram.
http://www.cns-nynolyt.com/files/doms-systemspecs.html My System specs In HTML

Cyberia on Youtube

__________________________________________________________________________________________
WiredEarp
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by WiredEarp »

Playing the 'alternate' version of Dactyl Nightmare (the one with the crossbow, shield and axe) against a friend, I shot him and he died and respawned behind me. I swung my axe around and it hit his head, and his head exploded. For a moment it totally felt real, like the axe had weight and I had actually hit my friend in the head with it. Needless to say, I couldn't stop laughing...
Osobari
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Osobari »

Super Mario 3D Land was my first 3D experience, which was tailor-made to take advantage of the sense of depth. Really got me hooked on the aspect.
lnrrgb
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by lnrrgb »

Great topic! Mine was the moment I finally got my head around all the variables to get my eDim's working properly. I was working with "The Hulk", and things finally clicked, after quite sometime of not being able to get anything working together. I was in tears! The driver still had massive problems with shadows, and textures, but some scenes were blissfully 3D. That moment made all subsequent troubles with hardware compatibility, and such,.... irrelevant.
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

My first experience with S3D was around 1993 with the movie "Echoes of the Sun" in Imax 3D at the Futuroscope which got me really hooked. The scene where molecules were floating in the air around me was one of the greatest moments I ever enjoyed in a movie theater.

I then found a pair of SimulEyes VR shutter glasses for quite cheap in 1995 and used them with the game "Descent: Destination Saturn" on MS-Dos which was a moment of pure joy and excitation. It even got me leaning to the sides to avoid projectiles while playing. :P

My greatest memories of 3D without stereoscopy were Doom in 1994 and Tomb Raider in 1996 or 1997, when I bought a Voodoo 3dfx add-on card which was really a milestone at this time in 3D rendering (much faster than software rendering, bilinear filtering, transparency, etc.).
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

I think the most amazing thing I have seen in 3D was at the IMAX 3D in the mid 90's (back when they used huge shutter glasses). The movie was called 'Into the Deep' and totally blew me away. There were parts where the fish almost looked like holograms floating right in front of me, and there were a few times I reached out and tried to touch them. Although I had seen 3D before this, this was by far the most amazing thing at the time.
WiredEarp
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by WiredEarp »

Obviously we are all highly susceptible to 3D!

I just realised that my first 3D experience, was actually at a Air Force show. They had aerial stereoscopic photos, and a viewer. I just remember being about 8 and being amazed at how real and 3D those photos looked!

Return to “General Stereoscopic 3D Discussion”