the LG D2342P (zalman 24' alternative) questions

yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

the LG D2342P (zalman 24' alternative) questions

Post by yuriythebest »

http://www.lg.com/sg/it-product/monitor ... D2342P.jsp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

right I'm getting tired of waiting for the Zalman 3d 24' to become available in my country so this seems to be a viable alternative- it's half the price of the zalman.
I've seen it in a store and seems allright (although yeah, just like with the zalman your head has to be properly positioned).

What I don't like is that they only have 1 pair of glasses + 1 pair of clipons, and I couldn't find an option to buy extra pairs thus far (I'm sure with some searching I will) - I currently have 2 pairs of zalman glasses (yeah... cause I thought I was getting a zalman and didn't return em), and the old and new iz3d glasses - I wonder if at least the zalman glasses are compatible?

Also when it comes to software support (iz3d/ddd/sView/etc) - I assume it's the same as the zalman?

EDIT: seems it comes with DDD, and can be used to view YT3D vids as well so seems it's very similar to the zalman indeeed. the question remains, why the low price- where's the catch? or was the catch that the zalman was overpriced?
Oculus Rift / 3d Sucks - 2D FTW!!!
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: the LG D2342P (zalman 24' alternative) questions

Post by cybereality »

There are a bunch of threads about this already, seems like a decent monitor though there have been some complaints.

http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=116&t=13172" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=116&t=14042" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=116&t=14072" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=116&t=14038" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Gae43
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Gae43 »

I bought this monitor this week and am in the process of sending it back to the retailer. The reason? Everything worked fine on it except, yes you've guessed it, the one thing I wanted it for...3D Blu-ray playback. The 3D kicked in and looked beautiful but as soon as the characters started to move the screen displayed a horrible juddering, shimmering, blurriness....whatever you want to call it...it was horrible and unwatchable. Now, I believe that I have a faulty monitor, hence the return.
I tested my Blu-ray player on a similar version to this....the DM2350D (exactly the same specs but has Freeview and Speakers) the 3D Blu-ray movie played perfectly and looked beautiful. I almost bought that 3D monitor on the spot except that I have the small matter of getting a refund first. Also, there are the January sales around the corner so i might wait a few weeks.

http://m.lg.com/uk/it-products/monitors ... M2350D.jsp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Now if the 3D image on a properly working D2342P looks as good as the DM235OD, I would totally recommend it. I just haven't seen one of these working yet. The only difference is that the contrast ratio is 5000000:1 instead of 7000000;1. but would our eyes notice that? I don't know. I am though, seriously thinking of buying the DM2350D instead because I know it works with my player and looks stunning.
With regards FPR and half resolution I didn't notice any problems. I must have one of those brains that fuses the 540p into a complete 1080p whole. All I know is that it's a great price to be able to get passive 3d on a monitor that supports 3D Blu-ray movies. After all, we've only been waiting 2 years for these to become affordable. :shock:

Gae43

Oh I forgot. This monitor works with the RealD cinema glasses too. I have tested them and the 3D works fine..not quite as good as the original glasses (maybe there's a little bit more ghosting) but they work and are cheap to buy.
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

Gae43 wrote:The only difference is that the contrast ratio is 5000000:1 instead of 7000000;1. but would our eyes notice that? I don't know.
These are constructor values for dynamic contrast, ie. inflated values that don't correspond to reality. Real contrast for LCD monitors is generally around 850:1, which is much lower than any other display technology. The D2342 is only 700:1 and is considered to be quite feable for a LCD monitor. I don't know the value for the DM2350D, but since both of them are announced at 1000:1 on LG website (inflated again, very different from the measured 750:1 by DigitalVersus) it should be in the same league (.ie bad). You can find a review of the D2342 here : http://us.digitalversus.com/lcd-monitor ... /test.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Gae43 wrote:With regards FPR and half resolution I didn't notice any problems. I must have one of those brains that fuses the 540p into a complete 1080p whole.
Resolution is not an absolute thing anyway, its effectiveness essentially depends on the viewing distance. Also if you don't watch a real 1080p display next to a 540p display you probably won't know what you're missing. Same thing for an overall average display (like these ones) compared to a good one.

But you'll still probably see that it's somewhat blurry or lacks crispness. And with such displays the loss of resolution is not the only concern, black horizontal lines, jaggies and small text being unreadable are probably more important problems. But at this price they are still unrivaled in the 3D monitor field.
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

cybereality wrote:There are a bunch of threads about this already, seems like a decent monitor though there have been some complaints.

http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=116&t=13172" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=116&t=14042" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=116&t=14072" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=116&t=14038" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
thanks! twas quite a read!
I bought this monitor this week and am in the process of sending it back to the retailer. The reason? Everything worked fine on it except, yes you've guessed it, the one thing I wanted it for...3D Blu-ray playback. The 3D kicked in and looked beautiful but as soon as the characters started to move the screen displayed a horrible juddering, shimmering, blurriness....whatever you want to call it...it was horrible and unwatchable. Now, I believe that I have a faulty monitor, hence the return.
thanks! Now before accepting the delivery not only will I test for dead pixels but I'll also put on a yt3d video to see the motion

I still don't understand why the price difference with the zalman

EDIT: to quote cyber from another thread:
Yes, those LG passive sets and also some of the the Vizio line (which use the same panels) are interlaced just like Zalman.
does that mean that all the specs like how good the color is/how black the blacks are/contrast/etc are the same? also where did you find that info I googled it but came up short
Gae43

Post by Gae43 »

Yuriythebest, I tested some YT3D clips and they worked perfectly. I viewed these in the following way. I had them downloaded on a USB stick. This was played via the USB connection on my BD player and output to the monitor via HDMI. There was no problem with shuddering or anything but I did notice that even the supposed 1080p Step Up trailer looked compressed on the screen due to the lower compression on the video no doubt. I only had this juddering and blurry problem when playing both of my 3D Blu-rays "Monster House" and "Resident Evil".

It's so frustrating to finally get a 3D monitor home after paying your hard earned money (and after a two day delivery delay too) open it up and not only find that the stand is missing but that the 3D Blu-ray processing is faulty too. :x

Do these things only happen to me or is it a common experience with new electrical goods for other people? Is it just the luck of the draw that you'll get something without any problems?

Gae43
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

Gae43 wrote: Do these things only happen to me or is it a common experience with new electrical goods for other people? Is it just the luck of the draw that you'll get something without any problems?
the whole reason that I'm considering this purchase is because the zalman 24' that I got had a bright green stuck pixel in the leftmost column middle row, and a dead pixel near to where the start button is supposed to be (but higher and more to the right)- and Ukraine doesn't have any more zalmans 24' (only 21) atm - yes I've checked all the stores- one promises more info after december 22, and there is no way I'm shipping one from another country/city for obvious reasons
Gae43

Post by Gae43 »

Looks like it is the luck of the draw then Yurithebest. :roll:

The problem with buying electrical equipment is that usually you don't know there's a problem until you get it home and open it up. Even if you buy from a retail shop you get to see the demo but have to buy a packed item. Now you try and ask to test the item in the shop (might even have to take in your BD player to see if its compatible) and I guarantee that you won't be very popular with the staff, especially if they're busy. On the plus side, at least when you buy from a real shop you can physically walk back and hand over the item for return/replacement/refund etc if there's a fault. I don't want to go through the experience I just had again any time soon...trying to get a return's authorization from 3 or 4 different people via E-Mail and phone is like trying to get blood from a stone. It's only when you threaten legal action or filing a dispute with your credit card company or ombudsman, that they start listening. ;)

I won't be buying expensive electrical equipment online again in the near future. I think I'd rather pay a bit more and get a no squabble returns policy if there is a problem.

Gae43

Return to “General Stereoscopic 3D Discussion”