Classic 3D vs. Modern 3D

Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Re: Classic 3D vs. Modern 3D

Post by Chiefwinston »

Nice Assassins Creed 3D photo, Cyber. I like and prefer very strong 3D like that photo. But everyone should remember that a single viewer PC game is developed under different viewing specifications. Modern movies are developed with a large audience in mind. Some of the people in the audience are not in the prime spot of the center of the theater. Also, people's eye spacing and head sizes are different. But 3D is also an art form. I go to the shows to see what these great artist have produced. Sometimes its a dud other times its a great evening at the show.

enjoy
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Panasonic Plasma VT25 50" (Full HD 3D)
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
Serving up my own 3D since 1996.
(34) Patents
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Ok, well I saw Hugo. It was certainly not the breakthrough I hoped it would be, but it was one of the best uses of 3D in cinema to date. You could tell with a lot of shots that the director had 3D in mind and, in fact, some parts wouldn't have made sense in 2D. So this was not an afterthought like in some films. They also did push the 3D effect pretty high in select scenes. Most of the film was fairly standard, in terms of 3D depth. But there were some really nice shots in there, mainly in the clock tower, that really pushed it to the edge of whats comfortable. I took the glasses off a few times, and could see a visibly doubled image. In fact, there was one part at the end that was (sorry to admit) somewhat uncomfortable to watch. This was the part where they zoomed in of Kingsley's face. So I think I can understand why filmmakers are being timid with the 3D effect.

On a brighter note, I think some studios are figuring it out. I saw a trailer for Dr. Seuss' The Lorax and it had the most amazing 3D I have seen in a recent film. Hands down, blew away even Avatar. It was done by the people that made Despicable Me, and that was already a pretty good show. But this took the best 3D part from that film and made (seemingly) a whole movie. Or maybe they just showed all the best parts in the trailer. I don't know. But it looked amazing. This is one to watch out for.
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

Yeah I know what you mean about the Kingsley shot. It actually looked to me like it was a small conversion 3D shot thrown in. I think this because the head shot seen of Sacha Baron Cohen questioning one of the kids. And the director making his head in 3D space come further and further out of the screen with each question to the kid. The 3D is used to make his questioning more pronounced. Just brilliant 3D use. And with Sachas' last question his head was off the screen and in the middle of the theater. But not like a gimick.

Also, the 3D was comfortable to me through the entire show.

enjoy
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

Coming up soon. The big boys of cinema are throwing their weight into the 3D cinema ring.

Steven Spielberg- The Adventures Of Tintin: Secret Of The Unicorn 3D (Christmas 2011). I have seen the 3D trailer

James Cameron- Titanic 3D (conversion). I have also, seen the 3D trailer.

George Lucas- Star Wars: Episode I (conversion). And well I've seen the 3D trailer to this, too.

I've seen what Micheal Bay, James Cameron, and Martin Scorseses can do. And I was impressed with what these masters of story telling can do with 3D. I'm thinking that once these upcoming wonders of cinema are released. The movie industry will understand how to use 3D more effectively.

enjoy
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Sadly, most of those are conversions.
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

Update:

Coming soon.

Steven Spielberg- The Adventures Of Tintin: Secret Of The Unicorn 3D (Christmas 2011). I have seen the 3D trailer

James Cameron- Titanic 3D (conversion). I have also, seen the 3D trailer.

George Lucas- Star Wars: Episode I (conversion). And well I've seen the 3D trailer to this, too.

And add these to the list:

Ridley Scott- Prometheus (Stereo Cameras?)

Francis Ford Coppola- Twixt (Stereo Cameras?)

cheers
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

Also :
Baz Luhrmann, with Leonardo DiCaprio- The Great Gatsby (filmed in 3D)
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Please don't miss Dr. Seuss' The Lorax. It had the best 3D I've seen so far in Hollywood (not counting IMAX 3D).
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

Yeah the Dr. Seuss' The Lorax does look good. There are 2 trailers out for that show. But I try to make it to all the kids animated features. Almost all the kids animated features have really good 3D. There are some duds. I have found most kids animated 3D movies have similar 3D qualities to the Dr. Seuss' The Lorax trailers. And they look absolutely spectacular in 3D Blu-Ray in Full HD 3D. Its why alot of the 3D Blu-rays run close to $50 usd.

cheers
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents

Return to “General Stereoscopic 3D Discussion”