Games that work well in anaglyph?

VanBurenPhilips
One Eyed Hopeful

Games that work well in anaglyph?

Post by VanBurenPhilips »

I haven't really used anaglyph much, but I've seen posts from some of the 3D veterans from time to time saying it can be better than people think. I've just installed Silent Hill 4 (The Room) and found that it actually looks pretty good in iZ3D's anaglyph mode with a pair of really naff paper glasses. The game has such a pale, washed out colour palette in 2D - when I switch to anaglyph, it does alter the overall colour balance, but I actually prefer the way it looks! I wouldn't mind seeing it through a pair of Pro-Ana glasses, but shipping to the UK costs more than a pair :(

I also took a look at Bioshock 2 in anaglyph. It didn't fare so well. I thought the illusion of depth was great but the entire scene had a yellow/gold tinge over everything. Do you folks know any games that work particularly well in anaglyph, ie those that don't suffer too badly from colour issues? And any that work better with different coloured glasses, rather than red/cyan?
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Re: Games that work well in anaglyph?

Post by Fredz »

I don't play with anaglyph glasses, but the screenshots shown on the 3D Discover page look quite good with my Pro-Ana. Especially the following games : Batman: Arkham Asylum, Resident Evil 5 and Burnout Paradise, but I don't know if it's as good when playing.
VanBurenPhilips
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by VanBurenPhilips »

I took a look at some vids on youtube and was surprised to see ARMA2 (mostly green) and a track in Grid (mainly grey street & green trees) turned out really well. I had assumed drab colour schemes (not exactly uncommon in games) would fare the best, but looking at those vids and some anaglyph photos on the web, I've found the results hard to predict. Sometimes the colours are ruined, sometimes they're still vibrant & varied. It's surprising.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Half-Life 2 looks great in anaglyph, the color pallet works really well with that game. But really any game will work. Its just that if they use certain combinations of colors, it can create a strange effect when using anaglyph glasses. If this happens you can try the "optimized" or "black & white" modes of anaglyph. You will lose most of the color, but it should provide a better experience.

Also, if anyone wants some really good paper anaglyph glasses, I am sending them out for free (worldwide). Just PM me your full mailing address and I can send the glasses.

Return to “General Stereoscopic 3D Discussion”