Carl Zeiss Cinemizer OLED

ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Re: Carl Zeiss Cinemizer OLED

Post by ancjob »

Johnny-Mnemonic wrote:
AJtYol wrote:If they put in 2 X 1280x720...
We still can't be sure it's true or not.
do not worry - they will never come out for consumer market...a tag of US$10-30k - i will skip...
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

I am pretty confident that the Cinemizer glasses are indeed coming out (in the next 6 months) and will be priced at around $500. What I am not sure about is if they are really 720P. They might be the same FWVGA resolution as the Vuzix. We just don't know.
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

cybereality wrote:I am pretty confident that the Cinemizer glasses are indeed coming out (in the next 6 months) and will be priced at around $500. What I am not sure about is if they are really 720P. They might be the same FWVGA resolution as the Vuzix. We just don't know.

chk this out - Tac-Eye Binocular [ http://www.vuzix.com/tactical/taceye_pr ... cular.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ]

vuzix has the technology but not for masses....they can blast out z800 emagin anytime...but just not prepared yet to bring this to masses...i wonder where they get the displays from?
Johnny-Mnemonic
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Johnny-Mnemonic »

ancjob wrote:i wonder where they get the displays from?
From VFX-1 times they partner with Kopin.
Oculus Rift, Vuzix Wrap 920 AR!, Vuzix VR920, Liquid Image MRG 2.2, Razer Hydra, P5 Glove, Microsoft Kinect, TrackIR5, 2 x Hillcrest Labs Freespace tracker, Fujifilm finepix real 3d w3, GeForce 9800GT 1Gb, GeForce GT 430 1Gb, DELL XPS 17 l702x with GeForce 555 GT 3Gb, and good-old VFX1 setup
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Well Vuzix doesn't want to release the best stuff they have on the consumer market because they will go out of business. I think they actually make all their money from those military contracts. Their consumer division is far in the red.
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by tritosine5G »

Same story with microvision laser really.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/12/10/pion ... ay-next-g/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-Biased for 0 Gen HMD's to hell and back must be one hundred percent hell bent bias!
Johnny-Mnemonic

tritosine wrote:Same story with microvision laser really.
In HMD sector, CRT's are out of business for a long time. Virtual Research FS5 used 640x480 CRT's in 1995, but was quickly changed by LCD models - VR4 and V6.
Besides, color reproduction of the micro-CRT's used in HMD's was made by mechanical color-circle, which leads to blurriness, so 320x240 LCD had better crispness than 640x480 CRT.
Oculus Rift, Vuzix Wrap 920 AR!, Vuzix VR920, Liquid Image MRG 2.2, Razer Hydra, P5 Glove, Microsoft Kinect, TrackIR5, 2 x Hillcrest Labs Freespace tracker, Fujifilm finepix real 3d w3, GeForce 9800GT 1Gb, GeForce GT 430 1Gb, DELL XPS 17 l702x with GeForce 555 GT 3Gb, and good-old VFX1 setup
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

Johnny-Mnemonic wrote:
ancjob wrote:i wonder where they get the displays from?
From VFX-1 times they partner with Kopin.
most of the ebay glasses use kopin modules - they are so cheap and below avg quality...
how can they be used in tac-eye...
vuzix do not wanna say bye-bye to those military contracts using these modules... :lol:

what LCDs does headplay use ?- and what technology. ?
..if anybody dissected the headplay and took screenshots of the 'thing ' inside...
i am so curious ....to know...what goes inside the headplay...pretty sure lcd is NOT kopin module...whatever it is ...
Johnny-Mnemonic

ancjob wrote:most of the ebay glasses use kopin modules - they are so cheap and below avg quality...
how can they be used in tac-eye...
Kopin makes wide variety of LCD's, with different specifications.
You can check specifications on Vuzix military HMD's, they have good parameters of contrast and brightness, etc.

It's like with Samsung monitors - you can buy cheap monitor with poor panel, and you can buy a very good one for higher price.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Kopin makes a bunch of different modules. It just that the VR920 and the knock-offs use the cheapest one. You can see the full list here:
http://www.kopin.com/commercial-display-products/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Vuzix has used the highest resolution one, at 1280x1024, but only for a prototype HMD shown at CES. It is likely not cheap enough to use for a consumer headset. But the technology is there and available (for a price). The military has budgets too, and I doubt they can afford to spend $30,000 for one headset, especially for something to be used in the field. For research/simulation purposes then I could see them having a handful of the really expensive high-end HMDs. But for general field-use they would probably want something cheaper, portable, and disposable, which is what it seems Vuzix provides.
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

cybereality wrote:Kopin makes a bunch of different modules. It just that the VR920 and the knock-offs use the cheapest one. You can see the full list here:
http://www.kopin.com/commercial-display-products/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Vuzix has used the highest resolution one, at 1280x1024, but only for a prototype HMD shown at CES. It is likely not cheap enough to use for a consumer headset. But the technology is there and available (for a price). The military has budgets too, and I doubt they can afford to spend $30,000 for one headset, especially for something to be used in the field. For research/simulation purposes then I could see them having a handful of the really expensive high-end HMDs. But for general field-use they would probably want something cheaper, portable, and disposable, which is what it seems Vuzix provides.

ok - that means that HMDs with SXGA resol.. the modules are sourced from kopin...surprising ...
vuzix had the option of providing the SVGA resol..on wrap 1200 but missed the bus.. :lol:
PalmerTech
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by PalmerTech »

They could have done that, but they knew the cost would put consumers off. IIRC, the modules Vuxiz uses for the military cost between $1200 and $3000, for a single eye, and those are lower than normal because they sell in large orders.

For Vuzix to go SVGA would have made a product that was priced out of reach, if they used Kopin microdisplays.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Personally I would rather have the lower resolution, but the widescreen aspect ratio. 4:3 is dead.
3dvison
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by 3dvison »

cybereality wrote:Personally I would rather have the lower resolution, but the widescreen aspect ratio. 4:3 is dead.
I do have a brain of my own but I seem to be going with cybereality once again.

16:9 for the win.

The Vuzix VR1200 is looking very good to me.
I hope it will be an early spring release...
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

3dvison wrote:
cybereality wrote:Personally I would rather have the lower resolution, but the widescreen aspect ratio. 4:3 is dead.
I do have a brain of my own but I seem to be going with cybereality once again.

16:9 for the win.

The Vuzix VR1200 is looking very good to me.
I hope it will be an early spring release...
yes - wrap 1200 looks nice -better than VGA also support for anaglyph 3d and great FOV(35) with IPD and focal adjut.. looks like a winner..too bad not supporting the field seq 3D [shutter mode]...

ah! no word yet regd the cinemizer OLED - i doubt if they ever come out.....
Samiad
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Samiad »

Haven't seen much Cinemizer info, but found this clip (1 month old) that has a look at the prototype (5 mins in)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIn0rAT_-vw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The guy quotes HD resolution, 16x9 format, and VGA inputs.
PalmerTech

Post by PalmerTech »

Thanks for that! Who knows if he is correct, but I hope so. He does not even remember the right word for binaural audio, even though it is something his company is doing. :(
Samiad
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Samiad »

What is promising is that they are distributing their prototype to interested parties :)
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

I thought it used HDMI 1.4a, Why does he say VGA?
3dvison
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by 3dvison »

I hope one of these comes out soon (Cinemizer or Vuzix 1200).
I also don't want to be left in a state of waiting, because one of them gets released but you don't want to buy until you get a look at the one that has not been released...

Think I will buy which ever is the first to market.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

I'm pretty sure the Vuzix 1200VR will come out first. They claimed it would release before June 20th, which is only another month. Who knows when the Cinemizer will come out?
3dvison
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by 3dvison »

Hi cybereality,
When did they say June 20th might be the release date ?
I missed that bit of information.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

The admin on the Vuzix forums had this to say (which is as close to a release date as we have):
Daddo wrote:About all I can say is that it is still scheduled for this spring, which runs until June 20, and if it is determined that we won't make that time frame it will be posted on the product page on the website.
3dvison
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by 3dvison »

OK, I should think before I ask a qustion.
June 20th is the end of spring...now I get it...LOL
Guig2000

Post by Guig2000 »

Is there space under the HMD, in order to look at your keyboard?
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

Samiad wrote:Haven't seen much Cinemizer info, but found this clip (1 month old) that has a look at the prototype (5 mins in)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIn0rAT_-vw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The guy quotes HD resolution, 16x9 format, and VGA inputs.
Cinemizer 'd have upgraded screens to 800X600 LCDs instead of OLEDs they are trying...

cannot anybody come out with non-reflective 800x600 [or better] LCDs just like headplay....?

Sony has shelved the project - seems like ....[1280x720 OLEDs]

except for vuzix - nobody cares a fig abt the HMDs ...too bad
PalmerTech

Post by PalmerTech »

ancjob wrote: cannot anybody come out with non-reflective 800x600 [or better] LCDs just like headplay....?

The Headplay DOES use reflective LCoS panels, not LCD.

Sony has not shelved the product, it has only been a few months since they showed the prototype, it makes sense for them to not have released anything yet.
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

PalmerTech wrote:
ancjob wrote: cannot anybody come out with non-reflective 800x600 [or better] LCDs just like headplay....?

The Headplay DOES use reflective LCoS panels, not LCD.

Sony has not shelved the product, it has only been a few months since they showed the prototype, it makes sense for them to not have released anything yet.

oops ! yes headplay does use reflective LCoS panels but cannot we have the non reflective version by somebody...plz

is the market for HMDs completely dead - only vuzix seems to be taking interest others like cinemizer , sony etc have given up...

sony with 1280x720 OLEDs looks like a lab project...well they will come up with tis after 100 yrs from now surely..with a price tag US$50 .. :D
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

The HMD market will become big when they can make regular looking transparent glasses with digital graphics overlaid on top. Super-light totally wireless. Either that, or some huge helmet-style headsets for the hardcore market, with ultra-high-FOV. Right now it seems they are trying to do both, and not really capturing either market.
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

cybereality wrote:The HMD market will become big when they can make regular looking transparent glasses with digital graphics overlaid on top. Super-light totally wireless. Either that, or some huge helmet-style headsets for the hardcore market, w.

surely in 300yrs from now .... :D
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

ancjob wrote: surely in 300yrs from now .... :D
In 300 years I will have surely transferred my consciousness into a machine, in which case virtual reality will be the only reality and there would be no such need to primitive devices like HMDs.
Synexious
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Synexious »

cybereality wrote:
ancjob wrote: surely in 300yrs from now .... :D
In 300 years I will have surely transferred my consciousness into a machine, in which case simulated reality will be the only reality and there would be no such need to primitive devices like HMDs.
I'm glad to see a fellow transhumanist on MTBS. In 300 years uploading should definitely be possible. The question is if we'll make it that far. I'm 19, so I think I have a good chance of "making the boat" - living long enough to live forever, but I can't be sure. I am sure, however, I'll see fully immersive VR in my natural lifespan. Cyber, have you seen Transcendent Man? It's streamable on Netflix. I think Ray is right about everything except his timescales, which are way off. The Singularity is inevitable, but it won't occur by 2045. Ray's far too optimistic in his projections, but the average person is far too conservative. Two years ago in high school, I was explaining to someone at lunch how ridiculously anachronistic a 1980s Glen Cook sci fi novel is - Shadowline. It's a space opera set around 3000, yet one of the characters repeatedly asks for a PRINTOUT! And this character is immortal (but not trans- or posthuman). Then someone else said he thought even a thousand years from now people would still want printouts. Paper (and monitors) will be loooooong extinct by 3000 - we'll be posthuman by then. In fact, paper probably won't even make it to the next century.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

I haven't seen Transcendent Man yet, but I've been meaning to watch it. I have read some of his work before, very interesting stuff. I agree that his timetables are pretty optimistic, but I sure hope he's right because I'm not getting any younger here. What I am hoping for is at least some significant advances in medicine to allow for reasonable life-extension. Enough to at least make it that far. I can probably make it to 2045, but not much further than that, at least not with current medicine. But a lot of stuff could happen between now and then. Who knows?
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

cybereality wrote:I haven't seen Transcendent Man yet, but I've been meaning to watch it. I have read some of his work before, very interesting stuff. I agree that his timetables are pretty optimistic, but I sure hope he's right because I'm not getting any younger here. What I am hoping for is at least some significant advances in medicine to allow for reasonable life-extension. Enough to at least make it that far. I can probably make it to 2045, but not much further than that, at least not with current medicine. But a lot of stuff could happen between now and then. Who knows?
any update on cinemizer OLED ?
Synexious
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Synexious »

Random quote lol.
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

Aphradonis wrote:Random quote lol.
and what's that - i guess usd 10 - count me in :lol:
Samiad
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Samiad »

Can I ask the forum, what do they want to use the Cinemizer OLED for? Is there a specific thing they'd like to do, or a variety of different uses?
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Samiad wrote:Can I ask the forum, what do they want to use the Cinemizer OLED for? Is there a specific thing they'd like to do, or a variety of different uses?
Mostly for PC gaming, especially if a headtracker could be used. I would also like to play PS3 games or watch 3D Blu-Rays.
lllJameslll
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by lllJameslll »

Samiad wrote:Can I ask the forum, what do they want to use the Cinemizer OLED for? Is there a specific thing they'd like to do, or a variety of different uses?
For me its the usual 3D movies and gaming on both my PC and PS3. My main interest is mainly for playing FPS games, especially Battlefield 3 when it comes out, with the headset and a rifle with motion tracking for true 360 deg point and shoot gaming.

I still cant find any news on a release date for these but I recon everyone here should go to the Carl Zeiss main website and fill out the survey they have for the oled glasses as this may encourage them to get these things into production. I dont want to buy the VR1200 as I really want 720p so I hope they get them out soon.

As some of you seem to prefer veiwing angle to resolution I thought I would mention a set I came accross today, they are a pair of wireless Fat Shark 5.8GHz Goggles that have a resolution of 640 X 480 and a vewing angle of 46 deg. There not for me but thought it may be of interest for some as they cost about £250 and have a much better veiwing angle.
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

lllJameslll wrote:
For me its the usual 3D movies and gaming on both my PC and PS3. My main interest is mainly for playing FPS games, especially Battlefield 3 when it comes out, with the headset and a rifle with motion tracking for true 360 deg point and shoot gaming.

I still cant find any news on a release date for these but I recon everyone here should go to the Carl Zeiss main website and fill out the survey they have for the oled glasses as this may encourage them to get these things into production. I dont want to buy the VR1200 as I really want 720p so I hope they get them out soon.

As some of you seem to prefer veiwing angle to resolution I thought I would mention a set I came accross today, they are a pair of wireless Fat Shark 5.8GHz Goggles that have a resolution of 640 X 480 and a vewing angle of 46 deg. There not for me but thought it may be of interest for some as they cost about £250 and have a much better veiwing angle.
anybody who has Fat Shark 5.8GHz Goggles that have a resolution of 640 X 480 and a vewing angle of 46 deg. - plz post a detailed review as the FOV is huge - 46...not sure of the quality of screens though ...please ?

Return to “General Stereoscopic 3D Discussion”