Carl Zeiss Cinemizer OLED

Cyberqat
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: Carl Zeiss Cinemizer OLED

Post by Cyberqat »

Can I ask the forum, what do they want to use the Cinemizer OLED for? Is there a specific thing they'd like to do, or a variety of different uses?
My primary use is immersive gaming. Particularly combat vehicle sims and MMORPGs.
Cyberqat
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Cyberqat »

Reality... after considering all my head tracking options i decided to separate it from the HMD and buy a trackIR (with the optional emitter)

Its a bit more futzy and used best if you are seated, but it really does an incredible job of head tracking. And if i upgrade my glasses at some point, I don't have to re-buy the tracker :)
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

TrackIR is cool if the games you play support it. Mostly this means simulations. I play mostly FPS games, so the TrackIR does not seem worth it. Hopefully the Carl Zeiss head-tracker will support a wide variety of titles.
Samiad
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Samiad »

More linkage -> http://www.fpvmanuals.com/2011/07/19/ci ... v-horizon/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cyberqat
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Cyberqat »

cybereality wrote:TrackIR is cool if the games you play support it. Mostly this means simulations. I play mostly FPS games, so the TrackIR does not seem worth it. Hopefully the Carl Zeiss head-tracker will support a wide variety of titles.
Well it has a mouse-emulation mode. Are you expecting more direct support for the glasses-integrated trackers?
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Samiad wrote:More linkage -> http://www.fpvmanuals.com/2011/07/19/ci ... v-horizon/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The guy says its barely 600P, which I'm not even sure what that would work out to. Really sad if this is not 720P.
Okta
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by Okta »

cybereality wrote:
Samiad wrote:More linkage -> http://www.fpvmanuals.com/2011/07/19/ci ... v-horizon/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The guy says its barely 600P, which I'm not even sure what that would work out to. Really sad if this is not 720P.
If it keeps the price down and still takes the full hd inputs that's fine with me so long as the FOV is high, which it isn't , so it sucks :)
"I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition."
Notch on the FaceDisgrace buyout.
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

Okta wrote:
cybereality wrote:
If it keeps the price down and still takes the full hd inputs that's fine with me so long as the FOV is high, which it isn't , so it sucks :)
let's see if this is able to beat headplay or emagin....once it comes out..by the way - submitted the survey duly answered....hope this helps cinemizer OLEDs a bit! :)
lllJameslll
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by lllJameslll »

Hi all, it’s been annoying me not knowing how long it’s going to take until this product is going to be available to purchase, so I contacted the company directly. See below for my email and the response I received.

Email: “I am enquiring about the Cinemizer OLED estimated release date, particularly for Europe and the UK. I have read that the US release is estimated for some time this summer. Myself and a number of others that I found in a head mounted display forum are all currently looking to purchase a HMD in the near future, we have been waiting for the Cinemizer OLED to be released. However with the lack of information on the release date many people are talking about purchasing the Vuzix Wrap 1200, which is due to be released in August, even though it looks like an inferior product to the Cinemizer OLED. So if it were possible to get a rough estimation of an expected release date even if it could be confirmed that it would be released by the end of this year I know most people would wait for your product. So if you could give me any information on the release date of your product it would be greatly appreciated.”

Response: “thank you for your inquiry and the interest in the Carl Zeiss cinemizer OLED.
We are currently in the prototype testing phase. The expected launch date is beginning of 2012, Jan. or Feb.

You can register to our newsletter on cinemizer.com to stay informed.
--> http://www.zeiss.com/C125764A00423298/F ... nguage=eng" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you would like to learn more about the cinemizer OLED before the launch, you might also participate our survey. Your feedback is highly appreciated.

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly in case of further questions.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Kind regards
Andreas Klavehn”

At least we now know roughly how long we will have to wait if you do want the Cinemizer OLED.
lllJameslll
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by lllJameslll »

cybereality wrote:
He does also say though the OLED screens have such a high pixel density that you cannot see individual pixels. I was just wondering, as I have never owned or tried a HMD, whether this is a problem with such headsets as the Vuzix Wrap 920 and if so will it likely be a problem with the 1200 as it still uses LCD screens. Can someone in the know give me their opinion on pixel visibility in recent LCD screens used in HMDs. Because if they are visible then I am still sold on the OLED and think ill wait for one to be release.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Jan/Feb 2012, that's good to know. Though, I was already set on buying the 1200VR, so that doesn't change my decision much.

In terms of visible pixels, it is not a huge issue. I use the Vuzix Wrap 310, which is only 428 x 240 (one forth the res of 1200VR), and it looks OK. Granted if you look for pixels, you can find them, but it is not super obvious.
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

cybereality wrote:Jan/Feb 2012, that's good to know. Though, I was already set on buying the 1200VR, so that doesn't change my decision much.

In terms of visible pixels, it is not a huge issue. I use the Vuzix Wrap 310, which is only 428 x 240 (one forth the res of 1200VR), and it looks OK. Granted if you look for pixels, you can find them, but it is not super obvious.
well - wrap 1200 'd be good for the time being...
not sure what quality the OLEDs will be for cimemizer....anyhow i guess need to wait for it's release and reviews...then try....

But it' d not be the same as OLEDs from eMagin as they suck big time....most importantly the sharpness is missing and brightness does not fill-in for 'sharpness' hence i come back to my headplay which has sharp image quality with decent colors sacrificing the optics [FOV] a bit......hope wrap 1200 will also be in the same league as headplay but with better 3D support....let's see :(
lllJameslll
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by lllJameslll »

cybereality wrote:Jan/Feb 2012, that's good to know. Though, I was already set on buying the 1200VR, so that doesn't change my decision much.

Thanks for the info cybereality thats good to know. With not ever being able to try a HMD I was unsure if it was a problem at all.

Im currently at Uni, so funds are tight and unlike some of you high rollers I think I can only afford one of the 2 headsets. At the moment I’m struggling on the decision of whether to just get the 1200 ready for the release of Battlefield 3 or to wait for the OLED.

This probably should be a new thread and don’t want to take this one off course but I just wanted to quiz some of you more experienced users on the motion tracking part of a set up. Although head tracking on the glasses would be good for a number of games I feel for first person shooters that having a gun controller with the tracking attached to the gun would be more realistic a feel. Essentially I want to create something similar to this guy but with a HMD

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheRedneckTechie" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

He uses a gyration air mouse for his game gun. Has anyone tried this type of setup and do you know what the best\most accurate tracker I could use is (within a reasonable price range)? Apparently the Razer Hydra is being integrated with BF3 but I don’t think this will work as I want it to.

I think the greatest setup would be to have motion tracking for your head to look around and a movable crosshair within the screen (like with the PS3 move games) to aim with a gun controller but that would only be possible if the game was made for it, I hope they will be one day.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Yes, that would be the ultimate control setup but hardly any games are made to support this. The only one I tried that was advanced like this was UT2004 with the Vuzix driver (so it should work for 1200VR). It allowed independent looking and aiming (headtracker for look, mouse for gun). Pretty cool, but it was only one game. Most other games just use mouse emulation.
mAchiNE
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by mAchiNE »

I believe ArmA II has head tracking support, although I have not tried it my self and I'm not sure which devices it is supporting for that feature.
Current System:
Oculus Rift Dev Kit, 3x 23" Passive 3D Monitors in 3D Vision Surround, Novint Falcon, 3rd Space Gaming Vest, ButtKicker, Razer Hydra, Logitech G25.
Previous 3D Systems:
Viewsonic PJD6531w 3D DLP Projector, Vuzix VR920, 24" Alienware and 22" Samsung 3D Vision Monitors, eDimensional 3D Glasses with 19" CRT Monitor
DieKatzchen
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by DieKatzchen »

I'm planning on getting one of these since it supports the PS3s frame-packing out-of-the-box. I also found a 3d compatible HDMI splitter for ~$30. Does anyone know what happens if you give a non-3d TV a frame-packed signal? Does it just show the left image and ignore the extra pixels or does it freak out and do something weird?
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

DieKatzchen wrote:I'm planning on getting one of these since it supports the PS3s frame-packing out-of-the-box. I also found a 3d compatible HDMI splitter for ~$30. Does anyone know what happens if you give a non-3d TV a frame-packed signal? Does it just show the left image and ignore the extra pixels or does it freak out and do something weird?
i think cinemizer OLED is HDMI 1.4 a compatible - plug'n'play......supporting playstation 3d formats
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

Cant wait for this product, I will play Arma II every day :D
I have the AR Drone which could be really fun flying with HMDs too (FPV)

have anyone done a comparison to the new Sony HMD, has sony even stated that their HDM will hit the market, or is it only a prototype?
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

CyberVillain wrote:Cant wait for this product, I will play Arma II every day :D
I have the AR Drone which could be really fun flying with HMDs too (FPV)

have anyone done a comparison to the new Sony HMD, has sony even stated that their HDM will hit the market, or is it only a prototype?
i doubt cinemizer OLED will be a reality.......their cinemizer plus was discontinued...despite being a good product...so they being cautious just like Sony whose glasstron was a major failure....
PalmerTech

Post by PalmerTech »

Except for the fact that Carl Zeiss has officially said that the release date for them is January, and they are giving out review units to FPV fliers. That seems pretty close to reality to me!
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

OLED version with HDMI input for testing given to FPV fliers - who 'd use it to watch the scenery 'down below' from a pathetic camera on board the plane.....most stupid move from zeiss ! :evil:

it's like emagin 3dvisor given to those people with a composite->VGA converter to review emagin or to make a joke of emagin itself.... :D how 'd they even think of this method of getting reviews i wonder !

this is NOT the stuff for FPV guys....honestly this is for gamers who enjoy extensive 2d/3d gaming i wonder who they are targeting for this coveted product.... :(

PalmerTech wrote:Except for the fact that Carl Zeiss has officially said that the release date for them is January, and they are giving out review units to FPV fliers. That seems pretty close to reality to me!
first - when did they say that they 'd 'officially' release it in January 2012 - i do not see this info on the net...plz apprise

secondly - if that's true why do not we have the official specs from zeiss - their website does not make any ref. to OLED version at all....still the old cinemizer plus[discontinued] ....why ?
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

I think FPV is a great application for HMDs and would love to try that myself.
PalmerTech

Post by PalmerTech »

ancjob wrote:this is NOT the stuff for FPV guys....honestly this is for gamers who enjoy extensive 2d/3d gaming i wonder who they are targeting for this coveted product.... :(

when did they say that they 'd 'officially' release it in January 2012

secondly - if that's true why do not we have the official specs from zeiss - their website does not make any ref. to OLED version at all....still the old cinemizer plus[discontinued] ....why ?
They have sent out units to people in several fields, including some guys who make car racing simulators, and some guy who specializes in filming 3D videos of safari hunts in Africa. The reason they do this is because they want a wide range of feedback, and at this point, they are not trying to build hype with the general public. They just want to get feedback on their prototype units, so they can fix any problems.

They replied to someone on the German Facebook page for Carl Zeiss who asked when it would be released, the representative said January 2012.

The reason they do not have official specs up yet is most likely because they are still refining the product. Carl Zeiss is a large-ish company, and they have the resources to wait till the last second before they start the final manufacturing process. As for the Cinemizer Plus being discontinued, is it not pretty obvious? They would not keep making them if they are going to release a new model in just a few months! Most places are still in stock, they are just not making new units anymore.

Besides, who is to say they have not sent out review units to HMD/gaming enthusiasts? Maybe those guys are the only ones who can keep their mouths shut about it! ;)
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

ok i get it cinemizer OLED is not 'on paper' concept and it's real...that's nice to know .... :D
i always get the feeling that only in rare cases the prototype really comes out for mass distribution ...

1)any idea abt the FOV if it's 35 or more ?
2)does it have HDMI 1.3 or 1.4a input ?
3)resolution of OLEDS ?
4)3d format supported?
any info ?
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

I believe it supports HDMI 1.4a since they demoed it playing PS3 games in 3D.
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

cybereality wrote:I believe it supports HDMI 1.4a since they demoed it playing PS3 games in 3D.
what abt fov and exact resolution - we are still in the dark and prognosticating and playing 'guessing game' for an hmd which is slated to be released in Jan 2012....right?
DieKatzchen
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by DieKatzchen »

Does anybody know what happens when you give a frame-packed signal to a regular tv? I want to use a splitter to put the signal on my tv so I can play in 3d but people can watch me play in 2d. I don't want to just sit there playing games alone.
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

DieKatzchen wrote:Does anybody know what happens when you give a frame-packed signal to a regular tv? I want to use a splitter to put the signal on my tv so I can play in 3d but people can watch me play in 2d. I don't want to just sit there playing games alone.
so i guess you play games with HMD as your monitor....& do the people around you suspect you are doing something else.....lol :D
3dvison
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by 3dvison »

ancjob wrote:
DieKatzchen wrote:Does anybody know what happens when you give a frame-packed signal to a regular tv? I want to use a splitter to put the signal on my tv so I can play in 3d but people can watch me play in 2d. I don't want to just sit there playing games alone.
so i guess you play games with HMD as your monitor....& do the people around you suspect you are doing something else.....lol :D
LOL
Trust, but verify....
" Yes we are your friends but standing in a room, staring at you with a helmet on your head is not very fun. Can you either show use what your looking at or give us some snaks so we can eat while we look at you."....Party Party, are we having fun now...Hello ?... Hello ?...anybody there ?...LOL
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

3dvison wrote:
ancjob wrote:
LOL
Trust, but verify....
" Yes we are your friends but standing in a room, staring at you with a helmet on your head is not very fun. Can you either show use what your looking at or give us some snaks so we can eat while we look at you."....Party Party, are we having fun now...Hello ?... Hello ?...anybody there ?...LOL
that's what makes HMD so exciting as private television i have not spent usd$1300+ for nothing !lol :D
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

I do not know how reliable this article is, but they state the Sony's HMD's are coming late THIS year!

http://boingboing.net/2011/08/31/sonys- ... g+Boing%29" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rektide
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by rektide »

quick maths on the Sony:

750" diagonal at 20m (787"): 600"x450".
circumfrence of a r=787" circle: 4945".
ratio: 0.1213379.
fov: 43 degrees.

my only experience is with an eMagin Z800; that was 105"@12', closer to 40 degrees.

interesting that Sony is going for such a set back image: 20m! anyone else used a HMD that has the screen really back?
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

750" at 20m sounds bogus. I seriously doubt the image looks that big or that far away. I did the math and 45 degree horizontal FOV is the same as a 23" monitor from 24". Not quite a big screen experience unless there are some crazy optics in that thing.
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

cybereality wrote:750" at 20m sounds bogus. I seriously doubt the image looks that big or that far away. I did the math and 45 degree horizontal FOV is the same as a 23" monitor from 24". Not quite a big screen experience unless there are some crazy optics in that thing.

great ! next year we will have cinemizer OLED , wrap 1200VR and Sony’s HMZ-T1 - how many dollars it adds too....lemme start saving from today ! ;)

new year resolution : to get all the three HMDs in one go.... :D
lllJameslll
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by lllJameslll »

Here is someone using the headset with the head tracking with a racing game

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjPhnFvDYZU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

According to the report below Sonys HMD hits Japan in November but head tracking still isnt confirmed

http://www.3dfocus.co.uk/3d-news-2/3d-t ... -date/5120" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JoeBlack
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by JoeBlack »

Where did i get the crazy idea Cinemizer Oled won't be 720p but 600p?
If it's realy 720p then i am grabing this beauty instead of Sony HMD.
(i am looking forward to this HMD so badly!)
3dvison
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by 3dvison »

JoeBlack wrote:Where did i get the crazy idea Cinemizer Oled won't be 720p but 600p?)
Your not alone.
I read or saw that somewhere also...???
Anyone else know what the resolution will be?
ShawmK
Cross Eyed!

Post by ShawmK »

3dvison wrote:
JoeBlack wrote:Where did i get the crazy idea Cinemizer Oled won't be 720p but 600p?)
Your not alone.
I read or saw that somewhere also...???
Anyone else know what the resolution will be?
I think that comes from this article:
http://www.fpvmanuals.com/2011/07/19/ci ... v-horizon/
If you use the OLED goggles to watch a movie with the optional iPhone adapter, you’ll see that the OSD of the goggles show the incoming resolution at just below 600p.
I'm not sure whether he means the Cinemizer is displaying 600p, or the iphone is outputting 600p. As far as I know there has been no official word on resolution from Zeiss.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Zeiss never confirmed the 720P resolution. Various blogs have been throwing that around, but we just don't know for sure.
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

cybereality wrote:Zeiss never confirmed the 720P resolution. Various blogs have been throwing that around, but we just don't know for sure.
since the news of sony hmd being real and available nov'11 [Japan and US]- cinemizer might put off plans to release it - i suspect !

sony hmd will be a threat to both cinemizer and vuzix for the business reasons...anyway let's wait and watch.. ;)

Return to “General Stereoscopic 3D Discussion”