Carl Zeiss Cinemizer OLED

cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Carl Zeiss Cinemizer OLED

Post by cybereality »

Carl Zeiss will be releasing an updated version of the Cinemizer video glasses, this time with OLED screens. Some reports pit this as a having dual 720P displays. Supports HDMI 1.4 inputs for use for BluRay 3D players and PS3. Also supports side-by-side format (for use for IZ3D or DDD drivers) and possibly other 3D formats. Coming out sometime in 2011 for $515. Also supports an optional headtracker which looks very accurate. Personally I am very excited to hear about this HMD. With HDMI 1.4 support that means this headset is the first with any kind of industry standard format support and means it should be relevant for a long time. I am very fond of the idea of getting a PS3 and using this headset to watch 3D BluRays. I don't really feel like spending $1500-$2500 on a 3D HDTV (plus $200 for the glasses) just to watch a handful of 3D movies that will trickle out (whenever these "exclusives" run out). But for $800 I can get the Cinemizer *and* a PS3. Thats less than half of what it would cost just for a 3D capable HDTV. Seems like a much better deal to me. So I am pretty much set on these glasses, will probably be pre-ordering them. Look out for the first 3D unboxing and review of these glasses in 2011.

Short hands-on preview of the glasses: http://3dmoviedude.com/?p=382" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

News site claiming 720P: http://www.digitalversus.com/ifa-2010-c ... 15747.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Video of the headtracker: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WI8hkO3FTOg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Another video of the headtracker: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KdD5jRLIXA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

YouTube3D video of the headtracker: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37H4kPgQlRc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Re: Carl Zeiss Cinemizer OLED

Post by tritosine5G »

Cool. How about OLED fill factor. If that spec is good, 720p should be of little concern.

DLP has 92% fill factor, thats why its so good at 720p:
-Biased for 0 Gen HMD's to hell and back must be one hundred percent hell bent bias!
Okta
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by Okta »

http://ibuymobile.co.uk/reviews/2010/09 ... attention/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The tiny screens that sit a fraction of an inch from your eyeballs have been upgraded to OLED, which should make them bright and lovely as they pummel your rods and cones, but sadly they're still stuck in VGA land -- 640 x 480 is not a lot of pixels these days.
This says 640x480 but until we get more info who knows. Im going with 800x480 or their abouts.
If these are indeed 720p at that price with support mentioned that great but seems unlikely. But the thing not mentioned anywhere is the FOV so we can assume its the usual 32-35 degrees.

What they need to do is make a few different models with different fov or add on optics that can do the trick.
"I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition."
Notch on the FaceDisgrace buyout.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Yeah, most blogs are quoting the 640x480 figure but the 3dmoviedude claims he tried them out and they were not only widescreen but looked like 720P. So who knows? Hopefully they are at least WVGA quality or better (preferably widescreen). And I agree that FOV is probably more important than the resolution so hopefully they improved that as well.
Johnny-Mnemonic
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Johnny-Mnemonic »

Okta wrote:This says 640x480
This is just a repost from engadget, but those guys were too hurry for actually ask for specs. I think it is a journalists mistake because 640x480 is not widescreen which was claimed by everyone.
Engadged first posted about 640x480, and them also call it "Cinemizer 3D Plus with OLED", however actual product on the demonstration were named Cinemizer OLED (you can see it on videos). I guess journalist googled for resolution of Cinemizer Plus (and it does have 640x480), and that's how mistake were planted.

By the way eMagin making 720p OLED screens, which can be read from they're brochures, so it's pretty possible for Zeiss to obtain screens with 720p.
Oculus Rift, Vuzix Wrap 920 AR!, Vuzix VR920, Liquid Image MRG 2.2, Razer Hydra, P5 Glove, Microsoft Kinect, TrackIR5, 2 x Hillcrest Labs Freespace tracker, Fujifilm finepix real 3d w3, GeForce 9800GT 1Gb, GeForce GT 430 1Gb, DELL XPS 17 l702x with GeForce 555 GT 3Gb, and good-old VFX1 setup
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

Johnny-Mnemonic wrote:
Okta wrote:This says 640x480
This is just a repost from engadget, but those guys were too hurry for actually ask for specs. I think it is a journalists mistake because 640x480 is not widescreen which was claimed by everyone.
Engadged first posted about 640x480, and them also call it "Cinemizer 3D Plus with OLED", however actual product on the demonstration were named Cinemizer OLED (you can see it on videos). I guess journalist googled for resolution of Cinemizer Plus (and it does have 640x480), and that's how mistake were planted.

By the way eMagin making 720p OLED screens, which can be read from they're brochures, so it's pretty possible for Zeiss to obtain screens with 720p.
cinemizer with OLEDs [oleds from emagin SVGA+] offering 720p - great!...
can anbody confirm the comapatibility with HDMI 1.3/1.4 input...

that will give emagin headaches for sure...
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

ancjob wrote:can anbody confirm the comapatibility with HDMI 1.3/1.4 input...
Compatibility with HDMI 1.4 is confirmed for sure. They were demoing it playing Motorstorm in 3D off a PS3 as reported here:
http://3dmoviedude.com/?p=382" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PalmerTech

Post by PalmerTech »

ancjob wrote: that will give emagin headaches for sure...

Emagin is the company that is most likely making the displays for this! :lol: They sell them to several other HMD makers, too, their current 800x600 ones anyways.
PalmerTech

Post by PalmerTech »

Double post, I know.

Here is a great German hands on with it, video on the bottom of the very informative post, they claim 16:9 and a high pixel fill rate.

http://test-portal.net/cinemizer-oled-3 ... oled_10639" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And it looks like adjustment knobs for IPD, or focus. I am hoping focus.
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

Here is a french article about the Cinemizer Plus and the Cinemizer Oled :
http://www.hdlandblog.com/2010/09/ifa-2 ... 0p_12.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The authors say they have tested both the Cinemizer Plus and the Cinemizer Oled at IFA 2010, the latter model being presented discreetly as a prototype by Zeiss for testing. They say it was equipped with 2 OLED screens with a resolution of 720p each and the 3D stereoscopic rendering was quasi-perfect.

They also posted a link for side-by-side 3D trailers on the Zeiss website, but they are at most in 680x480 :
http://www.cinemizer3dpodcast.com/Cinem ... dcast.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PalmerTech

Post by PalmerTech »

Yes! Adjustable focus! I am a little short sighted, more so in one eye than the other, so this excites me very much!
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by tritosine5G »

This has the potential to melt the LCD iceberg :mrgreen:

Nice company too, only knew them because of ww2 tank optics. Even soviets used captured Zeiss stuff.
-Biased for 0 Gen HMD's to hell and back must be one hundred percent hell bent bias!
Johnny-Mnemonic

I have Logitech webcam with Zeiss optics, I have to admit - pretty good.
Oculus Rift, Vuzix Wrap 920 AR!, Vuzix VR920, Liquid Image MRG 2.2, Razer Hydra, P5 Glove, Microsoft Kinect, TrackIR5, 2 x Hillcrest Labs Freespace tracker, Fujifilm finepix real 3d w3, GeForce 9800GT 1Gb, GeForce GT 430 1Gb, DELL XPS 17 l702x with GeForce 555 GT 3Gb, and good-old VFX1 setup
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

PalmerTech wrote:Double post, I know.

Here is a great German hands on with it, video on the bottom of the very informative post, they claim 16:9 and a high pixel fill rate.

http://test-portal.net/cinemizer-oled-3 ... oled_10639" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And it looks like adjustment knobs for IPD, or focus. I am hoping focus.
That video is of the Cinemizer Plus, the old LCD/VGA model for iPod. And yes, those knobs are diopter adjustments (+-3.5 I think). I imagine the new model will also keep the focus knobs. I don't read German so I didn't get much from the text except that its 16:9, which sounds good.
Fredz wrote:Here is a french article about the Cinemizer Plus and the Cinemizer Oled :
http://www.hdlandblog.com/2010/09/ifa-2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... 0p_12.html

The authors say they have tested both the Cinemizer Plus and the Cinemizer Oled at IFA 2010, the latter model being presented discreetly as a prototype by Zeiss for testing. They say it was equipped with 2 OLED screens with a resolution of 720p each and the 3D stereoscopic rendering was quasi-perfect.
Great. Another site claiming 720P. I really have my hopes up here. This could be the headset to look out for.
PalmerTech

Post by PalmerTech »

Use Google Translate!

Also, can anyone do the math on FOV? It has the "X at X feet" measurements released, such a stupid metric.
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

PalmerTech wrote:Use Google Translate!

Also, can anyone do the math on FOV? It has the "X at Y feet" measurements released, such a stupid metric.
tan FOV = X/Y

FOV = inversetan(X/Y) i guess hehehe
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

Sure, the formula is quite simple in a right triangle :
tan(θ) = opposite/adjacent
considering that FOV = 2 * θ
you've got FOV = 2 * atan (θ)

Code: Select all

opposite
       a  _______
       d |      /
       j |  _θ /
       a |/  \/
       c |   /
       e |  /
       n | /
       t |/
         eye
So for a perceived screen of 1.14 m viewed at a distance of 1.82 m (Cinemizer Plus), the FOV is 2*atan(114/182) = 64°.

I didn't find the values for the Cinemizer Oled, where did you see them ?
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

Aha ancjob beat me to it, took time to draw a little schema... ;)
Okta

Post by Okta »

Fredz wrote:Sure, the formula is quite simple in a right triangle :
tan(θ) = opposite/adjacent
considering that FOV = 2 * θ
you've got FOV = 2 * atan (θ)

Code: Select all

opposite
       a  _______
       d |      /
       j |  _θ /
       a |/  \/
       c |   /
       e |  /
       n | /
       t |/
         eye
So for a perceived screen of 1.14 m viewed at a distance of 1.82 m (Cinemizer Plus), the FOV is 2*atan(114/182) = 64°.

I didn't find the values for the Cinemizer Oled, where did you see them ?

64 degrees? Meh, never happen....
But if so for under $600 we have a whole new dimension in HMD's. But people will still winge that it isnt full HD or teh colors arent as vibrant and kill the success it deserves im sure.
But if it is popular it could start a tech war in this market producing cheaper and better screens.

Im excited!! :)
"I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition."
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

Oups, I forgot the value for the opposite side should be half the horizontal perceived distance (ie. 114/2 in this case).
So the FOV should be 2 * atan (114/2/182) = 34.78°
Sorry for the mistake...
Okta

Post by Okta »

Lol i had a feeling that was the case given the sizes but it was nice to live in hope for a little while.
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by tritosine5G »

Okta wrote:Lol i had a feeling that was the case given the sizes but it was nice to live in hope for a little while.

:mrgreen:
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

Fredz wrote:Oups, I forgot the value for the opposite side should be half the horizontal perceived distance (ie. 114/2 in this case).
So the FOV should be 2 * atan (114/2/182) = 34.78°
Sorry for the mistake...
i was thinking - why 2 * atan (114/2/182) ?
now you corrected that - great!
you have all that it takes to be a math teacher ... :D hehehe
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Yeah, 35 degrees sounds about right, but that was for the current gen model (Cinemizer Plus). I haven't seen any official data on the OLED version. So it very well might be 40 degrees or more. We just don't know for sure at this point. I have my hopes up.
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

cybereality wrote:Yeah, 35 degrees sounds about right, but that was for the current gen model (Cinemizer Plus). I haven't seen any official data on the OLED version. So it very well might be 40 degrees or more. We just don't know for sure at this point. I have my hopes up.
me too hoping ...
NOT interested in emagin with US$1.6k that too computer connectible only...
i will add third HMD [hopefully Virtual viewer 3D] after having added i-cine and headplay to my HMD kitty..
i love these techno-toys..absolutely fascinating..
By the way how to view 3d anaglyph [that require red-blue/cyan glasses] video on headplay - any ideas ?
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

ancjob wrote:By the way how to view 3d anaglyph [that require red-blue/cyan glasses] video on headplay - any ideas ?
I don't believe the Headplay supports anaglyph like the Vuzix Wrap 310/920 do. You may have to deanaglyph the video and then pump in out with the Stereoscopic Player in shutter mode.
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

cybereality wrote:
ancjob wrote:By the way how to view 3d anaglyph [that require red-blue/cyan glasses] video on headplay - any ideas ?
I don't believe the Headplay supports anaglyph like the Vuzix Wrap 310/920 do. You may have to deanaglyph the video and then pump in out with the Stereoscopic Player in shutter mode.

ok pal - now how do i "de-anaglyph" the AVI/MKV - which software 'd do that ?
also i have powerDVD v10 on win 7 supporting 3D but my video card does not support 3D [intel 965 chipset]
I googled this issue - then i got to know [http://malaysia.answers.yahoo.com/quest ... 558AA8p6x8] i can watch anaglyph with Red-Blue/Cyan OR Green-Magenta glasses even on my current laptop as told above...i have not tried yet but i guess it might work...
what do u think ?
Johnny-Mnemonic

ancjob wrote:ok pal - now how do i "de-anaglyph" the AVI/MKV
Here is a good tutorial:
http://www.vrtifacts.com/how-to-teardow ... d-glasses/
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

Johnny-Mnemonic wrote:
ancjob wrote:ok pal - now how do i "de-anaglyph" the AVI/MKV
Here is a good tutorial:
http://www.vrtifacts.com/how-to-teardow ... d-glasses/
pal - the files are already in xvid avi and mkv format
i downloaded the stereoscopic player ver 1.6.4 but when i try changing from anaglyph to side by side [left first] - it does that but i do not anything [it'a all black] on headplay using the s - video out

please tell me how to make the anaglyph field sequential for headplay to work...?
i guess i have to buy those 3d anaglyph glasses and put my headplay to rest for sometime...
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Check out a new video:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9aoYIfBFIA[/youtube]

http://blogs.zeiss.com/photo/photokina/?p=272&lang=en" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That is from their official blog which is now claiming the glasses give a "virtual screen of 45-inch at a distance of 6 feet". Thats a screen size of 45 inches at a distance of 72 inches. However since screen size is measured diagonally that would only be 39 inches horizontally for a 16:9 screen. So that would give us a horizontal FOV of 30 degrees. Diagonal FOV would be a little higher, just under 35 degrees. Still in that ~35 degree zone like the majority of headsets. However I think this is something I can live with, if only because there aren't really any other options. The Vuzix Wrap 310s are only 26 degrees and I've learned to accept that. So this would still be a small step up. Hopefully the resolution will be decent to make up for it.
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by tritosine5G »

now its strange to read this , now that mass effect2 is playing a trick with me, it cuts down the extra part when I turn up depth. So I can feel for you. I don 't know how my setup would compare tho. 100" , at 3.5 meter?

EDIT: gotcha! It was ctrl+f10 , (with 3d vision dunno wth...) it was drivin me nutz like mad!!
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

tritosine wrote:now its strange to read this , now that mass effect2 is playing a trick with me, it cuts down the extra part when I turn up depth. So I can feel for you. I don 't know how my setup would compare tho. 100" , at 3.5 meter?

EDIT: gotcha! It was ctrl+f10 , (with 3d vision dunno wth...) it was drivin me nutz like mad!!
h..mmmm ok
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by tritosine5G »

ancjob wrote:
tritosine wrote:now its strange to read this , now that mass effect2 is playing a trick with me, it cuts down the extra part when I turn up depth. So I can feel for you. I don 't know how my setup would compare tho. 100" , at 3.5 meter?

h..mmmm ok

I just wanted to say, I wouldnt settle for anything smaller than 100" 3.5 meter (ratio).
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

only Oleds - now i will try...
alreday have headplay , AV920
this will be the last one to be added - cinemizer OLEDs
smoothy
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by smoothy »

that is a very slick looking HMD
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

smoothy wrote:that is a very slick looking HMD
the official german site has no info as yet..
i hope it does come out in 2011 or has the same fate as TDvisor...
smoothy
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by smoothy »

ancjob wrote:
smoothy wrote:that is a very slick looking HMD
the official german site has no info as yet..
i hope it does come out in 2011 or has the same fate as TDvisor...
Is the TDVisor going to come out at some point?
Johnny-Mnemonic

smoothy wrote:Is the TDVisor going to come out at some point?
Guess no.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

smoothy wrote: Is the TDVisor going to come out at some point?
Yeah, right after Duke Nukem Forever... oh, wait... nevermind.
smoothy
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by smoothy »

cybereality wrote:
smoothy wrote: Is the TDVisor going to come out at some point?
Yeah, right after Duke Nukem Forever... oh, wait... nevermind.
I read so much back in the day about the TDVisor, so why isn't it going to come out?

They were talking about 3d bluray, TDV Camera, codec etc so has none of it come out?

Return to “General Stereoscopic 3D Discussion”