Prism Glasses for 3D Viewing

Vin047
One Eyed Hopeful

Prism Glasses for 3D Viewing

Post by Vin047 »

Just wondering if anyone has seen/experienced Prisma-chrome 3D

http://www.anachrome.com/prismhd.htm

It looks like a good idea but would it require me to be good at crosseyed viewing? Cos I suck at it lol, or do the glasses do all the work and just allow me to look at an image and instantly see 3D?

I'm going to try Johnny-Mnemonic's DIY Fluid Prism Glasses tomorrow http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=5582, how would it compare to Prisma-Chrome 3D or would it be exactly the same?
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Re: Prism Glasses for 3D Viewing

Post by Likay »

The monitor must be set to show either a parallell or crossview image and the prismas in the glasses will help the brain maintain the same "accommodationcurve" for the eye as in usual life. This is if the glasses are made in a right fashion.
In other words: Looking at x-view or parallell images using these glasses will not require any training as beginning viewing crosseyed. Remember: One type of glasses will only work for either x-view or parallell images, not both.
It's a good way trying "Johnny-Mnemonic's DIY Fluid Prism Glasses" before buying anything else. I think you can achieve just as good result with a pair of homemades. I'm interested in making a small pair for myself to be able to watch taken images on my stereocamera (which is parallell but the distance between the cams is slightly more than 100mm's. Impossible to view parallell if you're me... :lol: ). Credit to Johnny for this as well since i would never had the idea myself.
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
Vin047
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Vin047 »

Ah ok thats good. I'd be using it for viewing TV and playing games and I can use stereoscopic player's transformation filter for changing the 3D display method for video, so can set it to parallel or x-eyed no problem. I believe IZ3D drivers for gaming can also do the same right?

Incidentally I'd like to make them for viewing a 52" TV from about 5-6ft. Would the DIY approach support this distance? If I have to change the angle when making the glasses, what kind of angle do you think i'd have to use? (and I assume making them for 5-6ft distance would mean they wont work for closer distances, like viewing x-eyed images on iPhone etc?)
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

I don't know what angles that's necessary. Try shortcutting and make a pair with similar angles as Johnny did and you're close. Otherwise simply break the plastic apart and start over with your new experience. ;)
And yes: The iz3d drivers supports side-by-side. However i'm not sure if the image while using side-by-side is squashed or not (the stereoimage fits an entire screen to use the whole pixelamount which will make the aspect ratio fly...).
Vin047
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Vin047 »

lol yes, I guess I'll just have to try and go for it! Should be interesting!

I know im diverging off topic here but just like to ask, how important is resolution in 3D? I'm thinking about setting up a home cinema passive projection system and wanna go as cheap as possible, but thing is, when it comes to 2D you could say I have OCD because 1080p resolution is a must for me! As such i'd like to set up a 3D projection system using 2 1080p projectors... except I think thats gonna be REALLY expensive lol. Would the difference between using 2 1080p projectors vs 2 720p projectors be noticeable? I do notice the difference between 720p and 1080p in 2D.

Thanks for your help!
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

I'd like to try prism glasses too but I don't know if it's really better than free viewing either. There are also stereoscopes with mirrors that should be easier to use and are adjustable to any viewing distance, but I didn't find a model you can put on the nose. Good for images or short videos only I guess...

I've never tried any of these though, it's just that the topic about the DIY fluid prism glasses picked my interest too.

Here's what I've found on the Web for prism glasses :
KMQ over under viewer ($9.95) : http://www.berezin.com/3d/kmq_viewer.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Prism glasses ($11.50) : http://nvp3d.com/caddie.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Adjustable 3D Prism Glasses ($18.95) : http://www.berezin.com/3d/3dprism.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And for stereoscopes with mirrors :
3D Scope ($31.95) : http://www.berezin.com/3d/3d_scope.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Stereoscope ($36.30) : http://nvp3d.com/caddie.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
3Dscope ($39.50) : http://www.3dworldshop.com/epages/54403 ... ducts/4007" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If anyone has already experienced this sort of glasses, I would be happy to have a feedback too.
Vin047
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Vin047 »

Kl so stereoscopes are better for viewing 3D than prism glasses? But the issue of not having them as easy to wear as glasses is annoying. I might get one of those then and make some kinda diy thing (getting a band to go around my head or maybe sticking it in a cap or something, either way making it like a HMD I suppose). The fact that the stereoscopes are adjustable is a huge pro for me!

With posting:
Berezin are a rip off for posting to UK ($100 minimum just for posting!)
NVP3D are cheapest with total cost coming to £26
3Dworldshop are about £10 more than NVP3D

All 3 stereoscopes look the same to me, do you know if theres a difference between them Fredz? (or anyone else?)

Thanks for the links Fredz! Might still try the DIY Fluid Glasses first but certainly nice to know the options available! Let me know which one you decide to try and results.
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

The stereoscopes are using mirrors so my guess is that all of them performs similar. Look for eventual adjusting differences but they're so simple that they should work the same. As for prisms it's true that you make a pair for a certain distance and a certain imagesize. If size changes you need to move yourself depthwise to compensate.
720vs1080: My personal opinion as is today is that 1080 isn't really worth it yet. Too much resourcehog and the visual difference is minimal. Instead i'd like a decent antialiasing which always is more important for me. However all opinions on this is highly individual.
Other own experience: Resolution isn't as important in 3d as for 2d. It's like the brain makes some "upscaling" when viewing 3d but i'm of course not sure if this is generally experienced by all.
HeadTrip
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by HeadTrip »

I actually just got this one yesterday...
http://www.berezin.com/3d/3d_scope.htm

Mini review:
- the image quality is better than I expected, super crisp...
- the separation knob is jumpy, not smooth
- the inside is shiny plastic , which picks up allot of reflections (might open it someday and line it with matte black paper)
- the view size is pretty good, 4:3 from side by side widescreen video source
- works on my laptop and 52" plasma :)
- my lens in a cap videos look great
- PC gaming looks good (Triviz side by side)
- want to add a strap to make it wearable, it has two small bars for this (dork factor wearing this on my head = extreme)
- cheap plastic housing, be careful

overall , better than I expected..the reflections inside are pretty bad though...the 3D, really nice and crisp.
Compatibility is great...any size sources
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

Thanks for the info Drew !

How does it compare to other types of glasses (shutters, polarized, anaglyph) concerning the 3d effect in your opinion ? Isn't the fact that you need to keep your head in the same position a little bit annoying ?

If it's better than other glasses it could be a good idea to try to design a pair that overcomes the limitations, like making them wearable, limiting the reflections and accounting for the dork factor. ;)
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

Cool info! Thanks.
HeadTrip
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by HeadTrip »

Fredz wrote:Thanks for the info Drew !

How does it compare to other types of glasses (shutters, polarized, anaglyph) concerning the 3d effect in your opinion ? Isn't the fact that you need to keep your head in the same position a little bit annoying ?

If it's better than other glasses it could be a good idea to try to design a pair that overcomes the limitations, like making them wearable, limiting the reflections and accounting for the dork factor. ;)
tough comparison...The stereoviewer has a pretty limited view, like those ipod Video glasses, a floating square stereo window in 'reflecty' blackness... glasses have a full field of view and always work...the stereo viewer is more of a novelty....
yeah, having to keep your head still is a drag. I am basically using them for short bursts, to do stereopainting..watch short stereo clips, short gaming... its my cheap way of seeing color 3D at home, I will have to wait a while for a 3D tv...
I still love anaglyph, but you cant compare the image quality, the viewer buries anaglyph (except for having to stay still).
I like the fact that theres no flicker...and one aspect is nuts, you can look at real life through them and jack up the separation, giving real life a much deeper feel...its TRIPPY. making a wearable pair would be awesome!
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

Sounds good. I'll see if I can find better models, ie. wearable and without too much inside reflections.
HeadTrip
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by HeadTrip »

little update...I used a fat rubber band to make it wearable (it has a small bar on either side for this purpose)
Have to say it looked really cool, I played Gears of war using side by side mode...was awesome in full color.
Except, you cant really move your head...kind of tough while playing ;) And its a limited view, but fills up 70-80% of your vision

my wife said I looked like some sort of Robot guy...hehehe
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

Drew wrote:little update...I used a fat rubber band to make it wearable (it has a small bar on either side for this purpose)
Have to say it looked really cool, I played Gears of war using side by side mode...was awesome in full color.
Except, you cant really move your head...kind of tough while playing ;) And its a limited view, but fills up 70-80% of your vision

my wife said I looked like some sort of Robot guy...hehehe
can you view crosseyed? if so how does it compare?
Oculus Rift / 3d Sucks - 2D FTW!!!
HeadTrip
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by HeadTrip »

Is IZ3d side by side not crosseyed? I thought it was...I'll have to try other source that I know...
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

You can swap eyeviews in the iz3d driver. So it works both crosseyed as well as parallell viewing. You can check the control panel but i think ctrl+f8 is default to swap.
Okta
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by Okta »

Likay wrote:You can swap eyeviews in the iz3d driver. So it works both crosseyed as well as parallell viewing. You can check the control panel but i think ctrl+f8 is default to swap.
It does but for me it only works properly in crosseyed. If i try the parallel setting the imgage is no longer letterboxed and is stretched full screen vertical.
"I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition."
Notch on the FaceDisgrace buyout.
Okta

Post by Okta »

Drew wrote:I actually just got this one yesterday...
http://www.berezin.com/3d/3d_scope.htm

Mini review:
- the image quality is better than I expected, super crisp...
- the separation knob is jumpy, not smooth
- the inside is shiny plastic , which picks up allot of reflections (might open it someday and line it with matte black paper)
- the view size is pretty good, 4:3 from side by side widescreen video source
- works on my laptop and 52" plasma :)
- my lens in a cap videos look great
- PC gaming looks good (Triviz side by side)
- want to add a strap to make it wearable, it has two small bars for this (dork factor wearing this on my head = extreme)
- cheap plastic housing, be careful

overall , better than I expected..the reflections inside are pretty bad though...the 3D, really nice and crisp.
Compatibility is great...any size sources
I wanted to try these myself. Can you tell me some things?

What is the largest field of vision you can achieve? If you were to use 2 monitors, how big could they be and how close could you sit?

Would it be possible to mount 2 3.5" lcd's to the front of this to make an HMD? How close could the screns be and see the whole screen? How close could a pair of 7" lcds be in the same setup?

What would be a comparable screen size at what distance viewing with any of these options size wise like comparing to a vr90 hmd?
"I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition."
HeadTrip
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by HeadTrip »

sorry, I don't have answers for ya...but they sound like great things to try!
Okta

Post by Okta »

Drew wrote:sorry, I don't have answers for ya...but they sound like great things to try!
Ok to put it another way, what size monitor have you been using and how close is your head using the split screen method?
HeadTrip
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by HeadTrip »

17" laptop monitor at about a foot and a half
europanorama
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by europanorama »

Hello all

I have both of the nvp3d-glasses. the mirror-stereoscope(its from sonice, berezin has it too)
and the cheap-wearable prism-glasses, foldable. its a nvp3d-design.
The latter has two mistakes which should be improved. I told them.
1. the asians seem to have little noses. the nose-gap should be enlarged by 5mm. what i did.
silly reflexions which could have been avoided if the prototype had been improved from the beginning. nvp3d-the designer- is a swiss company who does also quality-control the 3dinlife-3dmediaplayer.
I made some improvements by using black tape, also covering the sides of the prisms. but some covers must be done during production. you will understand when you see them.

Main differences:
Mirror-stereoscope(sonice) on pc-screen: perfect
easy centering of the image, one does almost only see the center(main)-image
With prism-glasses you will see all three images. centering is not a problem but easier with the mirrors. the friction is perfect since otherwise the mirrors would not stay in place.
Maybe i cannot compare perfectly enough since i have a sharpness gap. between 30 and 70cm. in other words i cannot view anything there.
i also added rubber-string to the prism-glasses to wear over my glasses.
for using to view dual-cams(stereodatamaker) i must go very near, my own glasses must be removed. since then the string is too long i made a second knob and added a slit just near the mounting hole on one side to slip in the string. otherwise the glasses could slip from my head of my glasses are removed.
nvp3d told the prism-glasses have a max. limit of 1m viewing distance.

I could view stereocards of 120mm lenght with both viewers.
On the bottom of the mirror-stereoscope/sonice there is a precut hole to drill a thread. First i thought a thread was lready there... and added a table-tripod ny force, thought they made the thread too small.
Found connectors to add the stereoscope to the back of my zbarred-canon a590is. fantastic if the cams are mounted on a tripod. see tripod-adapter only in photo-section of stereodatamaker-yahooo-group under europanorama(2nd page)
I also added a camera-strap wrapped around my head. I have an image of the 3dman(me) wearing these big "goggles. One day it will find its way the the am photo-section.

The gap to slip-in such a thin strap is really small. a bit too small. it seems they had no other choice. i must find a better solution for easier and quicker adjusting this strap over my head.
the big 38 chf versus 12 chf(prism glasses) sonice mirror-stereoscope can be used for very large prints, images.
The reflexions at the inner surfaces could really be improved by adding velvet.
I like the big-stereoscope better e.g. for youtube3d-viewing or whatever gallery.
Both glasses are a MUST HAVE. I can wear them both over my own glasses. The cheaper prism-glasses can be adjusted too. Its a copyrighted nvp3d-design.

Stereodatamaker:
I have also a vertical rig-small stereobase 55mm. If the mirror-stereoscope is used to view the screens, the images will be too bright, since the screen my my a590is cannot be darkened. viewing is annoying. i have a similar problem already comparing both horizontal screens, left one upside-down on zbar. (one screen will always be brighter). its not a big problem.
Maybe its due to polarization.

I
http://www.3dreal.tk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.stereopan.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Under reconstruction
3DStereo-Media
Aero-Marspanoramas
Innovative Online-Display
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

I've found a new stereoscope with mirrors, the SCV3188 3D Stereoscope Viewer from 3DInlife :
http://www.3dinlife.com/en/product5.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It looks quite good IMO, more stylish than the 3D Scope and maybe easier to make it wearable. It can be bought here for $43 :
http://www.3dvirtualstore.com/index.php ... store.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
europanorama
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by europanorama »

The 3d-Inlife Stereoscope is announced but will not yet be delivered i was told.
------
The same for the outboard 3d TV lens.
There are images in this Forum. But you will not find it in the search because he has posted a picture of the product. Will post it later.
http://www.3dreal.tk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.stereopan.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Under reconstruction
3DStereo-Media
Aero-Marspanoramas
Innovative Online-Display
Vin047
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Vin047 »

Sorry to bump this thread but since I started it I thought i'd just follow up.

I finally went with the NVP3D Stereoscope and i'm pleased with it. It's a super cheap way to view 3D and the 3D effect is great. Since you can adjust the viewing angle you can increase or decrease the depth as much as you want which is good if your eyes feel strange after a while. Adjustable also means any size screen from laptop screen to HDTV. (However I should point out, its not usable on small screens like iphone because the stereoscope windows are too far apart, you have to keep the iphone screen at quite a distance to see the image, and although its 3D, at such a distance the image is too small IMO).
All screens also look smaller when viewied through the scope.
Most annoying aspect are the reflections mentioned before.

All in all an easy, cheap, and fairly effective way to get 3D. I would recommend it to anyone wanting 3D without buying new (expensive) equipment.
mrbryce
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by mrbryce »

do not order at berezin.com i got ripped off never received the package and no answer from seller. :x
wuhlei
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by wuhlei »

mrbryce wrote:do not order at berezin.com i got ripped off never received the package and no answer from seller. :x
I was afraid of some thing like that. I'm going to wait for some thing to show up on ebay.
Albert Einstein
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination."

Return to “General Stereoscopic 3D Discussion”