E3 2010 amazing cyber exsoskeleton glove for consumers!!!

smoothy
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

E3 2010 amazing cyber exsoskeleton glove for consumers!!!

Post by smoothy »

This is totally amazing

The forcetek XIO virtual gaming system http://www.forcetekusa.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; do a youtube search for xio virtual gaming system and they have videos. It's mind blowing. amazing for first person shooters. It's true haptic technology. Now we just need a full FOV HMD and we can enter lawnmmoyer man
Okta
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Re: E3 2010 amazing cyber exsoskeleton glove for consumers!!

Post by Okta »

Terribly unimpressed. This stuff has been arround forever, ill wait for a decent HMD before i get excited.
"I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition."
Notch on the FaceDisgrace buyout.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Looks cool. Still, I doubt it will get any developer support but I'd still buy one. We still need a decent HMD though.
PalmerTech

Post by PalmerTech »

I am absurdly excited about this, actually. Saw my rant on reduced feedback input in the Matrix thread? This looks like a very cheap way to accomplish a lot of that.
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by tritosine5G »

I dont think you can expect support , Novint had very hard time , now they focus on mouse emulation, for which the Falcon is inherently better suited than this thing.
-Biased for 0 Gen HMD's to hell and back must be one hundred percent hell bent bias!
PalmerTech

Post by PalmerTech »

I know driver support will be terrible, I just meant as a platform for custom applications.

I am really tempted to buy a Novint Falcon... I can find a lot of old reviews, anybody have a short bit on how it holds up in modern times?
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by tritosine5G »

well I bought it and gave it to my brother after I saw what half life 2 is capable of in s3d ( 15 fps) plus I dont like that game at all ( Valve software hater here) , and I cant play doom3 or prey since those are opengl / windows xp, incompatible with nV shutters.

Overall its just like a vertical mouse with FFB. Even the pistol grip feels like a mouse cause it has no weight (unless some force feedback is applied ). What feels a little awkward is that you dont have to actually aim but move the thing into position.

I guess everyones waiting for the release of that mouse emulation tool , and I just play Dragon Age now which is an RPG and I feel like I wont stop for a few weeks just to play with first person shooter, so my brother evaluates it meanwhile. They say ( counterstrike pro player guy) that you need 10 hours to adapt to a basic level anyway. At 30h you are as good or better than with the mouse.
-Biased for 0 Gen HMD's to hell and back must be one hundred percent hell bent bias!
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

I've got a Novint Falcon, but sadly it sits in a box next to the P5 dataglove and all the other "VR" gadgets that never got enough support. To be fair the Falcon is a nice device. The haptic force-feedback is real and pretty cool. For example, there is a nice kickback when shooting guns in a supported title like HL2. If you use the gravity gun to pick up objects you can feel the weight of the object pulling down on you (like if it were a barrel). It makes it harder to play for sure, but its fun stuff. I played through like half of HL2 with the VR920 in stereo3d and the Falcon. Pretty cool. Sadly there was never really more support for many more games, but a couple of Valve ones if I remember correct. The device had a lot of potential for sure but, like most peripherals like this, it struggled to get any real support. I imagine this exoskeleton glove will suffer a similar fate, but I'd still get one just to mess around with.
smoothy
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by smoothy »

I thought by now there would be lots of replies in this thread. As I see this technology as being pretty amazing. But yeah cybereality is right there may just not be enough support for this. It's a shame. Also this gloves website seems to be very misleading. They mention that this is a console less gaming experience. They also talk of how games will be streamed. Many video game sites that were reporting about this during E3 mentioned this in their articles. They also thought it was misleading. And nobody knows if what they are talking about is they have a cloud gaming platform which will take full use of this glove. The gloves website also makes mention that this a haptic device and communicates wirelessly. The latter I can believe but surely it cannot be haptic forces like the Novint falcon. I mean look at the falcon, that thing requires power from the mains. This glove from the pics and videos coming out of E3 shows that it doesn't connect to the mains. You need mains power for haptic forces, batteries just aren't there yet for this type of product. Unless their prototype on display didn't have haptic features. Another thing I read on the gloves website was that they make mention that they have plans to hook this glove up with an HMD and also they have many add ons for the glove to cover different parts of the body to put you directly in the game. This is straight from their website. This seems pretty revolutionary and reminds me a bit of that Nintendo ON hoax video. It seems these people watched that and decided to make something pretty awesome. Now I don't know if I can believe that this tech has been in development for ten years like they make mention on their website. As that glove doesn't look too well made for ten years work. And remember all this is just a prototype, they have hopes that a manufacturer will sign on so they can bring this to market.

Anyway cybereality you know the falcon has something called F gen drivers which I believe are still in beta, but you can download and install the software. They keep updating, making new versions. I think the full release is soon. The f gen drivers allow you to play with the falcon in any direct x game. Including having the ability to feel forces. They went down this route because of not much developer support for haptic drivers for their games. But still there are a number of games that are coming from game developers which will have haptic forces. Or at least that's what I think.

The way this f gen driver works is it's tied into the physics engine of the game and depending on the game you will have standard force feedback interaction like we currently do in force feedback enabled games. But then you will also be able to create your own custom settings very easily and then save it in a profile and share with others. So basically soon their will be this massive library of game titles, we are talking about hundreds of games that will have ordinary force feedback and others with haptic forces. It just won't be their best haptic forces like seen in half life 2.

Return to “General Stereoscopic 3D Discussion”