Finally got 3d working!!! WOHOO! now.. what monitor to buy?

Masterkong
One Eyed Hopeful

Finally got 3d working!!! WOHOO! now.. what monitor to buy?

Post by Masterkong »

Hiya!

Suddenly, after an graphicsunrelated bsod my stereo3d all of a sudden decided to work, 163.71fw+162.5stereo.

so now i'm in the market for 2 new tfts... but i'm wondering what resolution my 7900gtx with amd 4800, will give me somewhat good fps in the games.
I REALLY like 2 24"s but i'm beginning to thing that the resolution 1920*1200 will be a little bit to much for my 'puter.

but i'd like to watch thos hd movies with em too.. damnit.

anyway.. i'd really like you guys 2 cents on this one.

later dudes.
sharky
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by sharky »

hi what soution are you using? planar?

the question is: is it worth to spend that money on 2 monitros? ir is it better to spend a little more for another solution? maybe passive projection.. :) (well that costs a 'little' bit more... ) or a iz3d/zalman...

regards

igor
Adam Savage: "I reject your reality and substitute it for my own."
Jamie Hyneman: "It's really cool, but really unusual."

Masterkong
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Masterkong »

i'm gonna go crosseyed.. i dont feel strain.. i've been doing it ALOT.
2 projectors is totally out of the question, i'm a pretty poor boy.. :)

i dont like ghosting.. and i feel that i can use 2 tfts for more than stereo 3d...

nah.. i'm gonna get 2 tfts.. the quistion for me is if i should buy 2 22" or 2 24"
i would buy 24" if i knew that my games would run fine in 1920x1200 stereo3d.. but i'm really uncertain about that..
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

Hej du svensken! :P

Nice to hear you figured it out. Some games runs fine in stereo with 7900: 1920x1220 but you might have to turn down some other settings. Most likely you'll have to run at a lower resolution to have decent refresh rates. You do have a very great advantage with viewing crosseyed though: There's absolutely no ghosting but as it is for Sharky, i also don't like to view crosseyed for any longer times. But i guess any 3d is good 3d! Regarding the sized of the monitors: I have no clue how close you're able to sit and view crosseyed. By this i mean that maybe you won't have that much advantage of having bigger screens since you might have to move a bit further away. :D. Ever thinked about of making a planar device? (since you're into having two lcd's and 3d). It's some other story making it work properly but if you're interested, feel free to ask. There's also Nubie who has a planar device. If you check with him i bet you'll get some very useful advices. :D

Found a planar related thread here: http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=136

cheers
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

MasterKong, I would advice you to look into other 3d solutions. Doing cross-eye is fine just for getting a feel for 3d, but you cannot play games for extended periods like this. Moving your eye (even just a little to read the HUD) will ruin the effect. Even if you can bare it, it surely can't be good for your eyes. Also, there is a limit to the size-to-distance that a cross-eyed image can be viewed. Getting 2 24" monitors won't fix the problem, because your field of vision will not encompass enough unless you sit further back. You might want to look into the Zalman or the iZ3D (which was on sale at newegg last time I checked).
nubie
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by nubie »

Masterkong wrote:i'm gonna go crosseyed.. i dont feel strain.. i've been doing it ALOT.
2 projectors is totally out of the question, i'm a pretty poor boy.. :)

i dont like ghosting.. and i feel that i can use 2 tfts for more than stereo 3d...

nah.. i'm gonna get 2 tfts.. the quistion for me is if i should buy 2 22" or 2 24"
i would buy 24" if i knew that my games would run fine in 1920x1200 stereo3d.. but i'm really uncertain about that..
I would for sure try a planar setup (bare minimum try a mirror: http://www.crystalcanyons.net/pages/Tec ... ewing.shtm )

Second, using dvi you can set the "digital flat panel scaling" to "centered output" under device adjustments in the nvidia control panel.

This way you can set it to a lower resolution at high quality (or use a 4:3 mode for games that don't support widescreen properly), I recommend 1280x1024 gaming with them. This way you can play your full HD movies and then game with a centered standard native resolution until there is a faster graphics card solution. Or play full-screen in older games that support wide-screen custom resolutions.

I would look into an 8800GTS 320mb (ebay has several for $120-$130 including shipping!!) and the thread about getting it to work in XP http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=1072 (I know I would if I had the $125, which I sadly don't), or a 640mb for pushing that many pixels.
CAVE, see what all the fuss is about:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6NN5JKlIi0
Masterkong
One Eyed Hopeful

Re:

Post by Masterkong »

cybereality wrote:Even if you can bare it, it surely can't be good for your eyes.
woo.. sorry for reviving this thread.. i havn't been checking out this site for quite some time...

actually it's quite good for you to do crosseyed gaming.. thats basically workout for the muscles for the eye.. the best thing of course is to flex them.. that means focusing way off and the real close.. but i guess static traingin works too ;)

the strain you can feel after prolonged crosseyed viewing is muscle ache.. witch will go away as you train more.. :)

i read this about crosseyed stereo viewing from a faq somewhere, where a doctor explained it..
hopefully he wasn't a quack..

Return to “General Stereoscopic 3D Discussion”