Any luck with 3d in portrait mode?

iondrive
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Any luck with 3d in portrait mode?

Post by iondrive »

Hi all,

Has anyone had any luck with 3d pics/vids/games with your monitor in portrait mode? I tried it once but the computer just rebooted itself. I guess the game also has to support that odd resolution. It would be more doable if nvidia made 3d-in-a-window work. Why even go there? Well, for fun of course, but also if you wanted to use parallax barrier 3d or lenticular 3d, then a sideways display might be better if your display is made up of vertical stripes of red, green, and blue instead of some other pattern. If each vertical stripe is a different color, then it causes a problem for those 3d methods.

see ya.
System specs:
CPU: 3.2GHz Athlon 64 X2 6400
RAM: 800MHz 4GB dual channel mode
Video: geForce 8800GTS PCI-e, 640MB ram, driver 196.21
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Any luck with 3d in portrait mode?

Post by cybereality »

Yeah, I can do portrait 3D on the Zalman Trimon 22". Just tested it the other night on a whim and it actually worked. I needed to use the IZ3D drivers in *vertical* interlace mode since the monitor was rotated. It worked perfectly on SF4 but some other games, like Mirror's Edge couldn't recognize the resolution and just defaulted to 4:3 (but with huge letterboxing). But it does work and could be interesting for certain applications. The reason I was even trying this was to get my DIY parallax barrier to work and I wanted to make sure I could even run some games provided I get it to work. The answer is yes.
iondrive
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Re: Any luck with 3d in portrait mode?

Post by iondrive »

cool, good luck with that project. I hope you post about it if you haven't already. If you use a projector then you might be able to match the pixel size to the barriers exactly the way you need it. I tried this with a lenticular sheet but it was bad probably because things were not aligned precisely enough. I know Likay tried a parallax barrier project once and he said something similar.

bye now.
System specs:
CPU: 3.2GHz Athlon 64 X2 6400
RAM: 800MHz 4GB dual channel mode
Video: geForce 8800GTS PCI-e, 640MB ram, driver 196.21

Return to “General Stereoscopic 3D Discussion”