You Have to Find the Cracks Before You Can Fill Them

Love it or Lump it - post your feedback to individual blog posts on mtbs3D.com
Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

You Have to Find the Cracks Before You Can Fill Them

Post by Neil »

Should we be scared of being so public about the challenges with S-3D gaming? Does S-3D gaming have to be perfect to be enjoyable? How lax can we afford to be with S-3D quality control?

Regards,
Neil
Tril
Certif-Eyed!

Re: You Have to Find the Cracks Before You Can Fill Them

Post by Tril »

To solve a problem you first need to know what's the problem. The last question most likely did not come from a programmer or a beta tester. The thing a programmer like the most when he is fixing bugs in his code is to have a good description of bugs and the thing a beta tester likes the most is probably a checklist of anomalies to look for. That way, a beta tester looks for bugs, writes bugs descriptions, sends the bug reports to the programmer and the programmer goes through the bug list and fixes them. It's a system that works well.

iZ3D has a ticket system to report anomalies in their S3D driver. It's a system that works well and it's nice for the user because you know that the bugs are being worked on and fixed.

Does NVIDIA has a similar system in place to support bug reports from users of their Stereo driver? In the past (a few years ago), I used their stereo driver but I never reported any bugs because I did not know where to send the bug reports to. At the time, I just lived with the facts that there were bugs in the stereo drivers and that they were not going to disappear. Now it's different since NVIDIA has a different stance about S3D gaming and I'm wondering if they have set in place a system that makes it easy to report bugs in the stereo driver.
CPU : Intel i7-7700K
RAM : 32 GB ram
Video card : GeForce GTX 980 Ti
Display : Samsung UN40JU7500 Curved 40-Inch UHD TV with shutter glasses
HMD : Oculus Rift

cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: You Have to Find the Cracks Before You Can Fill Them

Post by cybereality »

I think we should make an issue out of the limitations of current stereo 3d drivers. The developers are not going to fix things if they don't even know there is a problem. We shouldn't go overboard to where people think stereo3d is plagued with problems, but we don't need to be misleading either. I think the main problem is that the game industry as a whole has not embraced stereo3d yet. Developers are not using 3d monitors and are thus not testing in stereo as they develop. Nvidia seems to be pushing pretty hard with their 3d vision, so hopefully some developers are hip to the 3d game by now. I don't know what we can do about that, but thats the main issue IMO.

Return to “MTBS Editorial User Remarks”