[DIY] Fluid-based prismatic stereoscopic goggles

Tutorials on how to create your own rigs, pics, movies, and everything that has to do with S-3D at home!
Marcer
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: [DIY] Fluid-based prismatic stereoscopic goggles

Post by Marcer »

Thanks for you reply :D
Marcer
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Marcer »

Hi , can someone can make me fluid-based prismatic stereoscopic goggles ? PM if someone can
Cotelio
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Cotelio »

Intresting! I'll have to try this. So how does it work in playing a game in side-by-side off of a single monitor? Does it half the width of your monitor? Does it stretch it back to it's normal size for you? Does it keep the same aspect ratio and leave you with black bars on the top and bottom of your monitor? Blah blah blah blah blah.
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

If you use the side-by-side mode of the iz3d-driver it does keep the same aspect ratio and leave you with black bars on the top and bottom of your monitor. The prismas will only change the angle of the light.
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
Cotelio
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Cotelio »

Likay wrote:If you use the side-by-side mode of the iz3d-driver it does keep the same aspect ratio and leave you with black bars on the top and bottom of your monitor. The prismas will only change the angle of the light.
Awesome, thankies! :)
PalmerTech
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by PalmerTech »

Likay wrote:If you use the side-by-side mode of the iz3d-driver it does keep the same aspect ratio and leave you with black bars on the top and bottom of your monitor. The prismas will only change the angle of the light.
Wait, really? Maybe I am missing something, but in my experience, the IZ3D drivers definitely stretch the image to fill your screen.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Standard side-by-side mode is frame-compatible fullscreen (so it squashes the image). If you select the cross-eye option (under side-by-side) then it should keep the aspect ratio.
PalmerTech

Post by PalmerTech »

When I choose that, though, it seems to scale the image to be much smaller than it needs to be (black borders around both sides). Am I doing something seriously wrong? :P
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

No. That's just the way it has to be. Standard side-by-side uses the whole surface but since it contains two images it has to be squashed. The crosseyed option maintains the aspect ratio for each view but it also means that the whole screensurface cannot be used.
I guess it's possible to make prismas which are curved in one direction to make it possible to use the standard squashed side-by-side.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Obviously there will need to be black letterboxing on the top and bottom if you expect to fit 2 images on the screen while keeping the same aspect ratio.
PalmerTech

Post by PalmerTech »

Gah, had a derp moment. I went back to try again, and I remembered that I need it unscaled, running in the native resolution of 640x480 side by side with no borders on a 1280x800 screen. As far as I can tell, there is no way to do this. :( The new span mode they added for dual projectors is close, but it only works with resolutions that are larger than a single display, as far as I can tell.
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

cybereality wrote:Obviously there will need to be black letterboxing on the top and bottom if you expect to fit 2 images on the screen while keeping the same aspect ratio.
Definitely. What i meant is that the prisms can be made "horisontal spherical" which allows you to run in squashed mode and that the prisms will magnify the horisontal line only. This way you could watch the images in normal aspectratio even if they're spanned in the display.
I however don't say how easy or difficult it is to make this curvature on the lenses though. :mrgreen:
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

Why would you need a curvature for that, wouldn't it deform the image in a non uniform manner ? I think what would be needed is something like anamorphic prisms, which do the same (squash or stretch) for video projection. It should be quite difficult to create something portable though.

Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

Anamorphic lenses will of course also work since they're designed for this task but then it's not really an cheap'n'easy diy thing anymore (on the other hand finding out the suiting curvature i mentioned above isn't really easy either. :lol:).
I just added some info about how it would be possible to achieve this without sacrifice valuable screenspace and resolution.
Last edited by Likay on Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

Building anamorphic prisms is very cheap, it just needs the same materials than these prismatic glasses. The only complicated thing would be the calculus of the relative prism angles to obtain a correct aspect ratio with a squashed image. And maybe find a way to fix all that on the head too... :P
Cotelio
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Cotelio »

This was already asked (but not awnsered), but can we use gelatin instead of glycerol? I have some unflavored gelatin right here (for that mix you can make that you spread on your skin and when it dries it pulls all the gunk out)...

I guess I could just try it, but... x.x;; I dun wanna waste stuff. >.>;; ( and time, building a second one if gelatin doesn't work )
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

It does also work with water, so I guess it shouldn't be a problem with gelatin, but only if its density is uniform and it's transparent enough. If the refractive index is very different from glycerol you would probably need to modify the angles of the glasses though. But I don't understand why you don't want to try with glycerol, it's really very cheap.
Cotelio
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Cotelio »

Because I can't seem to find where to order a small amount online without insane shipping, ( plus there's the shipping wait) and I can't find somewhere that sells it locally without draining a quarter of my gastank. x.x

I'd try plain water, but the hard water here is absolutely terrible. >.<
Johnny-Mnemonic
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Johnny-Mnemonic »

Just ask in the nearest pharmacy, it should be there for a cents.
Oculus Rift, Vuzix Wrap 920 AR!, Vuzix VR920, Liquid Image MRG 2.2, Razer Hydra, P5 Glove, Microsoft Kinect, TrackIR5, 2 x Hillcrest Labs Freespace tracker, Fujifilm finepix real 3d w3, GeForce 9800GT 1Gb, GeForce GT 430 1Gb, DELL XPS 17 l702x with GeForce 555 GT 3Gb, and good-old VFX1 setup
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

Yes, they will produce it on demand for the quantity you want and it won't be expensive. At least that's how it works where I live.
Cotelio
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Cotelio »

I checked again, actually calling this time. None of the local Walgreens or CVS Pharmacies have it, and Walmart and Kmart have glycerin products, but no pure glycerin.

There was something about craft stores? I guess I'll check hobby lobby.

Edit: tomorrow. Is sunday now. Closed on sundays.

Re-edit: I don't think the 8oz one for making soaps was pure. It wasn't any more viscous than water. I got the 2 oz one for baking. ingredients list on the bottle: glycerin.

it was 2.50. I hope it's enough to fill the glasses, it's pretty small. =goes and gets a CD case, and exacto knife, and a candle to heat the blade and quicken cutting=
kosmo
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by kosmo »

Hi.
I made those gogles. It wasnt that easy, took me couple hours. But they work! I checked some videos on youtube and it was ok. Didnt have much time to test them really, but noticed some problems.
1. When im playing game window with game is really small (like 10-12 inches) so its hard to see if there is decent 3d effect. I only tried COD:Modern Warfare 1 and when im aiming gun (with right mouse button) there is something wrong. I see gun from one side not through the sight. I noticed then that when i close my right eye and look through left eye image is sharp, but when im looking through right eye everything is blurry and like behind the fog. So basicaly what i get with both eyes is almost identical to the view from my left eye. Like left side of glasses domintes right side.
Can someone help and tell me what i did wrong? Glasses got a little dirty with glue and its visible when im looking at glasses but when im looking through them i dont see part of image blocked by this stains, just whole image is like behind white fog. Secondly after filling glasses with gliceryne there have been made some tiny bubbles of air in this right side of glasses, but not really that much.
So what do you think , whats the problem: dirty glasses, air bubbles or maybe construction of glasess is not accurate (this 18 degrees thing...).

Thanks for help in advance!
Cotelio
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Cotelio »

Try messing with the settings in the driver? Sounds like a "camera" placement issue to me.

To make it to look through the sight, have the driver keep one eye where the camera normally is in 2D, and only move the other one.
I don't know what to say about your right eye being blurry. Have you 100% isolated that it's the lens, just to be sure? >:

I have my pieces cut, but not glued together yet. Considering recutting one of the 35x62 clear pieces, because it got all nicked up when I ground it down...
It looks fine holding it up to my eye and looking through, but I'm not sure I wanna risk it.

... ugh. I might have to recut both of them. the clean one seems to be missing.

Edit: found it. Suckers are a pain to find if you drop them on the floor in a dark area.
kosmo
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by kosmo »

Thanks for reply and advices Cotelio. I will try those things when i get back home. Im pretty sure its problem with glasses. I think i will have to do them again because i made some mistakes when making them. This time should be easier.
Good luck with glueing them. I have glue which dries in 10 seconds, and thats not good thing when you need precision:)
Cotelio
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Cotelio »

Twas talking about looking down the sights. Like I said, I have no idea what to say about blurrieness.

Wondering if I should use my superglue or low-temp or high-temp hot glue. x3

THink I'll use superglue, because that's what came up when I googled plastic glue. Hope I have enough of it. ;p
kosmo
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by kosmo »

Im using super glue. its dries very fast so once it gets on lenses there is no way to get rid of it. Im starting doing my lenses once again. I hope this time i wont make such mess with glue on lenses.
Cotelio
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Cotelio »

Yeah. I didn't really mess mine up that much, but... it's like this white mist fogs out from the glue and messes up the clear plastic. I'll have to redo it with hot glue... QQ

At least I could pull it apart and reuse the black pieces. They were the biggest pain to cut for me.
Cotelio
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Cotelio »

Yay! It works nicely. Keystoning is... weird. but not really a problem. Can be confusing getting it lined up with the monitor correctly though, at first.
Edit: Oops, doublepost. Sorry! D:
kosmo
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by kosmo »

I made my second one. First time i didnt have this white fog from glue, maybe because i was doing it next to open window. This time there was a lot of this white fog, but i cleared it with stics to clean ears. Anyway, second one are clearer and with no glue on them but outcome is the same. They are a bit darkish. I tried palying COD Modern Warfare during the day and i couldnt see much (game and monitor brithnes was on max). But I finally got them to work properly with games with iz3d driver.
kosmo
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by kosmo »

Darkish is maybe bad word. Its like everything is behing white fog, and i cant see clearly what going on when playing a game. Cotelio do you have this problem too?
Cotelio
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Cotelio »

Well, I haven't used them to play games yet (still figuring out how to mount them) but I've watched a few youtube videos and it's all good...
kosmo
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by kosmo »

I took old pair of sunglasses. I took out glasses and mounted lenses on top of the frame with scotch tape. Just like in the pic on the first page of this topic.
It was sunny day where i live and with very brith room this lenses where useles. Now when sun is behind the clouds its ok. Image isnt that sharp as it should be but its because this parts of lenses made from transparent part of cd box got a little dirty inside. But still image quality is acceptable. If you make those lenses clear they can be really good. Probably i will try to make new ones in the future but its rather time consuming so for some time i will stick to this one i have.
cadcoke5
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by cadcoke5 »

No one has mentioned the possibility that the goggles and image are not the issue, and that your own eye might be. People have varying ability to focus on things that are close up, and this ability diminishes with age. Typically by age 40, it is bad enough to need reading glasses. But, the process starts much earlier. There are also other things like cataracts that cause things to get cloudy. I am certain there are more conditions that an eye doctor can enumerate.

One other topic may be related to polarization. Some plastics have the ability to polarize light to an extent, even if they are not designed to be polarized. If you are viewing an LCD monitor though such a piece of plastic, it may have an effect on the image. However, I doubt this would cause hazing. Though dimming would be one possible outcome.

Joe Dunfee
PalmerTech

Post by PalmerTech »

Superglue can indeed cloud clear plastics even without direct contact, it outgasses a lot. That is one reason it smells so bad! :P Hotglue should work better for sure.
kosmo
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by kosmo »

in my case dirty goggles is the problem because when i move them in front of my eyes in some ares i get very sharp and clear image through them while in other areas they give fuzzy image. Next time i will make these goggles with some other glue i just found. It dries 24 hours but is much more dense so i shouldnt make so much mess and it will be easier to prevent leaks.
Cotelio
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Cotelio »

:3

Pretty much the geekiest head-fixation method possible though. Still, works like a charm, and you can probably get them for like $5 if you don't have a pair lying around from high school Chemistry. ( or, in this area, Meth 101 >.> )

I think I'll hot-glue it to the goggles. If I want to just hold it instead of putting it on, well, I can either take the clear part out of the goggles ( the part I would hot glue it to) or just hold it and look through the front, like the photo. x3

If you do get/use goggles like these, I recommend popping out at least two of the ventilation disks. It's not like you'll be mixing chemicals with prism glasses on, and it decreases how foggy they get with your sweat if you pop them out. n.n
kosmo
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by kosmo »

this goggles by itself looks wierd, no matter what you mount them on:) But looks more comfortable than attached goggles to glasses frame like i have. Nice idea!
Cotelio
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Cotelio »

Hahaha, oops. I seriously just noticed I got some recursion going on in those photos. xD

Edit: Ooh. I just discovered that you can crank up the separation & convergence with these, and as long as they're barrier-ed right it's like having peripheral vision on the sides that only the one eye can see, and the 3D illusion carries over as long as there's the chunk in the middle that both eyes see. That's not something that can be pulled off very easily/comfortably with both images coming from the same spot, is it? 0% (physically at least, since I these glasses easily allow it to be changed my moving in or out, or crossing/relaxing the eyes a bit in addition to it) overlap FTW :D
deggial
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by deggial »

I think I solved your problem for gaming in max size (fullscreen) with these googles. Check the games I already fixed and you'll probably be able to fix your own favorite games then.

http://crosseyegaming.blogspot.com/2012 ... ew-3d.html

here's a sample:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvYOCEF- ... r_embedded[/youtube]

Return to “Do it Yourself!”