First 3d project; 15" dual LCD and mirror

Tutorials on how to create your own rigs, pics, movies, and everything that has to do with S-3D at home!
agniusm
One Eyed Hopeful

First 3d project; 15" dual LCD and mirror

Post by agniusm »

Hi all. I'm new to this forum. Just by accident came accross a write up on such setup. Man used 2 17" screens and mounted them in a MDF box. So i thought that i would like to try. I had 1 compaq 15" screen and got second one of ebay. There i bough 12"x12" one way mirror as well. I have done some tests with glass only and i think it worked probably not as good as with mirror :).
agniusm
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: First 3d project; 15" dual LCD and mirror

Post by agniusm »

Here is LCD that i had and bought and whats it look like now
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
agniusm
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by agniusm »

Here is my stand. Done some welding here. Still need to make a frame for one way glass to sit at 45 degrees and weld brackets for LCD's
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
agniusm
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by agniusm »

Here is pair of glasses for my setup, sweet ;)
agniusm
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by agniusm »

My system is Core2Duo E6750 @ 3.09 Asus P5KC, 2GB OCZ1 1 x 250GB Hitachi, 1 x 500GB Hitachi, Asus GF8800GT, SB X-FI Music, Logitech G-15, Orbit AF, Z 5500 speakers, Razer Copperhead.

I have tryed izd3 1.10 beta drivers and it seemed to work with F.E.A.R., Prince Of Persia 2008. Have tested some videos. Some worked some not maybe due not having proer mirror.
Can someone clarify if i will be able to use stereoscopic player to watch HQSF DVD's as i understand that they'r made for shutter glasses? Would software player like stereoscopic player split or make image compatible with my settup? If not what kind of DVD i should be getting then?
Thanx for looking
it_ninja
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by it_ninja »

Hi agniusm,

Stereoscopic player 1.3.4 has outputs for Dual Screen, side-by-side, and over-under, so you should be good to go. Once upon a time, I had used two monitors and a mirror setup, but definitely not as cool as yours (mirrored output, right eye looking at the mirrored monitor). Stereoscopic player can take a normal line-interlaced DVD (most common) and output it to many different setups, including two monitors.

You can download a demo before buying the software, and they have sample videos to check out as well:
http://www.3dtv.at" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Let us know how well it works for you! I still think the DIY 3D is what keeps me so interested in the forums.
agniusm
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by agniusm »

Thanx. Thats good news. I have already downloaded 4.5GB demo videos that i could find just to have close so i could test strait away. I have tested that player today and it seams to work prety good. Tomorrow gona weld a frame for mirror and hopefuly paint the stand black. Will keep this updated.
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

Hi and welcome!
Nice thing going on there! :D
And yes: Keep us updated :!:
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
agniusm
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by agniusm »

Hi. Some progress today. Hot the screens mounted. Still waiting on mirror. Dont know yet how i will go about mounting it. Want to have it sleek.
agniusm
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by agniusm »

Done some more testing and it looks like its working. Even with ordinary glass you can feel the depth of the image. Got Bjork - wanderlust FS video. Tested FEAR and Prince of persia 2008. Looks good and works with 1z3d driver 1.10b.
I could not any out of the screen effect thou. Is this 3d effect is not as common as depth effect? Could somebody suggest game which is best stereoscopic compatible and/or maybe film/video clip/animation.
Thanx
agniusm
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by agniusm »

Hi. I have found som mirror localy and ordered a 500x350mm shet glass mirror but it is 70/30. Dont know how it will performe. Getting another piece from eBay which is 50/50 transparent/reflective.
I was looking at those mirror setups and some people are puting all the stuff in mdf box. If say i watch at night would it make difference stereoscopic wise cause mine is open frame one.
i Was thinking as well to cut triangles of plastic sheet an spray it mat black for sides to cover bottom monitor sides (bottom lcd up to mirror). Would that be beneficial?
Thanx
Tril
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Tril »

I'm not sure a closed box is better. The light from both screen will reflect on the box panels.

I'm not a pro on this but if you have a 70/30 instead of a 50/50, maybe you'll have to lower the brightness on one of the monitors that get equal brightness in both eyes.
CPU : Intel i7-7700K
RAM : 32 GB ram
Video card : GeForce GTX 980 Ti
Display : Samsung UN40JU7500 Curved 40-Inch UHD TV with shutter glasses
HMD : Oculus Rift

nubie
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by nubie »

Awesome, I wish I had a welder, and money for metal (or just money, then I would buy the welder ;) )

http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=136" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As you can see I used cheap wood (<$2 for 8 feet) and made it fully adjustable.

http://picasaweb.google.com/nubie07/StereoMonitorStand#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Kudos on building one, I am glad to hear that iZ3D works, I haven't been able to use my setup since 1.08, and that didn't have planar yet :(.

Beware of the plastic 50/50 mirrors from ebay, mine is warped, and the coating is water damaged (that was probably my fault though but it could be more robust.)

I thought of using some side curtains, but what would probably help more is putting something above the upper monitor to keep a bright ceiling from being visible in the mirror.

Besides, the sides make it hard for others to see the screen, and the effect is visible from fairly extreme angles.

As far as pop-out goes, you really need to adjust the 3D to achieve that (or you can move the monitors relative to each other horizontally to help it out a little if the options aren't in the drivers.) It is going to be hard to see "pop-out" because the surface of the mirror is out in front of the monitor, even if you get it to pop out it will kind of feel like it is in a box.

I can't stand pop-out because my eyes won't diverge, so I lose the 3D, I am getting a little better, and my crazy brother can diverge at will (freaks me out.)
CAVE, see what all the fuss is about:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6NN5JKlIi0
agniusm
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by agniusm »

So here is my finished 3d display system. All is working. I have one quastion thou. Which geforce cards are supported for stereoscopic nvidia driver supporting mirror? Up to 7th series? is pci-e compatible?
Here's some pics:
nubie
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by nubie »

PCI-E is fully compatible, everything up to 7 series yes.

I suggest a better card and the iZ3D drivers though ($50) as the 7900 are overpriced at the moment. (they aren't worth more than $50, yet they seem to sell for much much more.)

Edit: I see you are using a GF8800GT, I don't think you are missing much with the nVidia drivers, really.

agniusm
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by agniusm »

Hi, Thanx. Yes i think i do. My favorite games are thief: dp thief 2 and system shock 2
Any ways got another rig allmost finished with GF7600GS 512Mb. Will do me HL2 as well hopefully :). Not prepared to pay for the driver yet..
nubie
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by nubie »

agniusm wrote:Hi, Thanx. Yes i think i do. My favorite games are thief: dp thief 2 and system shock 2
Any ways got another rig allmost finished with GF7600GS 512Mb. Will do me HL2 as well hopefully :). Not prepared to pay for the driver yet..
Sweet, hope you enjoy it, if it is the 7600 with the DDR3 ram it should do OK, but if it is only DDR2 then it may be a little underpowered.

Although you are only dual 1024x768 so it will probably be fine.

agniusm
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by agniusm »

Hi. So my 3d screen is sitting unused :). Waiting for partd for dedicated machine to run 3d stuff. I got Some Gigabyte uATX mobo, dual core pentium 2ghz (some cheapest E model) which i hope to push to 3ghz, 1GB of ram Geforce 7600GS. Had old desktop case which i am modding with laser cut 3mm steel panel. Gona make it some stupid colour like red or something.
Will post pictures here as i go along.
I was wandering if there is windows xp 3d plugin, to see windows xp 3d with glasses as games? Red somewhere here somebody running electric sheep screen saver in 3d. Downloaded that gon try.
I was wandering if there is any way to mod a Rear Projection TV to 3D display? They are cheap now can get one for 200 quid used or so. Any one looked into this?
Cheers
agniusm
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by agniusm »

Hi. Just an idea. I was wandering if this would work. Let say we use overhead projector and LCD design but rather put 2 LCD panels together but 1 totated 180 degrees. Would that work? If it would would you need silver screen?. That could be cheap big image solution. Let me know what you think.
Thanx
agniusm
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by agniusm »

Hi. So all is going great, and here is my list of games i tested:
Duke Nukem: Manhatan project
Far Cry
Half Life: Orange Box
F.E.A.R
Freedom Fighters
Max Payne 2
Dark Messiah: Might And magic
Alpine Skiing 2006
Unreal 2
Painkiller
collin
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by collin »

was looking at potential beamsplitters for a similar setup. was wondering what company you went with for the half mirror? any goodies on ebay? i found this company who offers 50/50 dielectric coating which is supposed to be better than the silver/metal based coatings, but I don't know if it preserves the polarization...

http://www.shibuya-opt.co.jp/eng/harf_mirror01.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

great setup by the way!
agniusm
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by agniusm »

hey. found it localy. went for 70/30 so i can not comment on 50/50. it works fine and the brightness is good. I would like to try 50/50 but just did not find it yet. there issomeone selling 50/50 from states. bought 12x12" and when it arrived i was informed by parcel force that i have to pay 24 pound import tax which makes it around 65 pound for square foot. no, thank you :)
zazoo
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by zazoo »

agniusm, I have been meaning to compliment you on the job you did with your monitor/mirror support frame--it has a really clean, industrial design aesthetic to it. Good job!

zazoo
agniusm
One Eyed Hopeful

Revised setup

Post by agniusm »

Hi. Finished this project complete with computer. All is done, just sharing photos. Any input is welcome.
agniusm
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by agniusm »

More photos:
WheatstoneHolmes
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by WheatstoneHolmes »

Nice setup! :woot

I like the color scheme!
I came here to chew bubblegum and to see 3D...and I'm all out of bubblegum!
-----------------------
Me on YouTube, you watch: http://www.youtube.com/user/WheatstoneHolmes
agniusm
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by agniusm »

I have Stereo Mirror Output IZ3D license for sale if someone interested. make it 39USB or 30GBP.
I am selling my 3d rig parts and realy do not need the license

Return to “Do it Yourself!”