How to adjust games for Best Effect

Tutorials on how to create your own rigs, pics, movies, and everything that has to do with S-3D at home!
RAGEdemon
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

How to adjust games for Best Effect

Post by RAGEdemon »

An old post that might be useful here:

I recommend that every new stereo gamer actually finds out how stereo works, for best effect. Also, before starting any game, ALWAYS adjust the convergence and separation settings when playing as by default, they are WRONG 99% of the time.

There are 2 extremes in which people can play stereo games: Inside the monitor and Outside the monitor.

CTL+F5 = Scene incrementally progresses inside
CTL+F6 = Scene incrementally progresses outside

Some people prefer the scene outside, some prefer it inside. Its just a matter of taste.

Some advantages/disadvantages of "into" and "out of" screen settings:

Inside screen (the double images get further apart as you go deeper into the screen):

Advantages:
+ easier on the eyes, less eye strain
+ Objects seem big, you actually feel like you are inside the game
+ Better overall picture

Disadvantages:
- 2 Crosshairs (have to shoot in the middle)
- no popping out

Outside Screen:
Advantages:
+ Things pop out of the screen (WOW factor)
+ Better Crosshair position (perfect in the distance)

Disadvantages:
- Tires eyes quickly, uncomfortable
- sides of screen clip image nearest screen, therefore worse image quality
- Objects seem small, like you are playing a toy game
- Ghosting and clipping causes you not to fully realize the "popping out", brain gets confused also, you feel sick, tired quickly.

Most long time stereo gamers use "inside screen" with a little popping out.

There used to be an ancient feature which adjusted convergence automatically for maximum "wow" factor, but this was by an ancient company called ELSA. nVidia has an auto-convergence feature, but it has never worked, atleast not like it is supposed to.

This might be a good point to also mention the "ghosting" issue. the people who tell you to decrease separation to reduce ghosting. Don't listen to them. Its like ripping your arm off because you have an itch on your finger. You STILL get 100% ghosting, you just don't notice it "as much" sometimes because the ghosting is close together.

Separation (the distance between the deepest points on the screen) should be wide as possible without making you feel your eyes are getting strained (if the image is inside the screen).

-- Shahzad
Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Sticky Worthy

Post by Neil »

I'd say this was sticky worthy, wouldn't you say?

Neil :wink:
nathansteinke

Post by nathansteinke »

Excellent info, thanks!
-Nate
RAGEdemon
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by RAGEdemon »

thanks neil :)
subwoofa
Two Eyed Hopeful

StereoTextureEnable: miracle stereo cure

Post by subwoofa »

Here is a tool that works wonders on newer games that are difficult to configure:
http://www.really.ru/eng/dload.php?acti ... ile_id=126

It sets the "StereoTextureEnable" to 1 for any game you select. This apparently makes lots of games work, even with post-processing and effects.

Here is the author's (KindDragon) original post:
http://forums.stereovision.net/viewtopi ... forum=5&14
subwoofa
Two Eyed Hopeful

Color Correction for CRT/Shutterglasses

Post by subwoofa »

Here is my color correction curve that I use for most of my games to compensate for the darkened and desaturated images seen when using shutterglasses with a CRT.

I also set gamma to 1.30 in the Stereo Setup tab on the nVidia Control Panel.

When using the above settings on a CRT monitor with shutterglasses, what you see will appear more like the original non-stereo images. It will brighten most of the image while maintaining contrast and color saturation. (A side effect is that very white objects will lose their detail.)
johnoliver
Two Eyed Hopeful

Re: How to adjust games for Best Effect

Post by johnoliver »

RAGEdemon wrote:An old post that might be useful here:

I recommend that every new stereo gamer actually finds out how stereo works, for best effect. Also, before starting any game, ALWAYS adjust the convergence and separation settings when playing as by default, they are WRONG 99% of the time.

There are 2 extremes in which people can play stereo games: Inside the monitor and Outside the monitor.

CTL+F5 = Scene incrementally progresses inside
CTL+F6 = Scene incrementally progresses outside

Some people prefer the scene outside, some prefer it inside. Its just a matter of taste.

Some advantages/disadvantages of "into" and "out of" screen settings:

Inside screen (the double images get further apart as you go deeper into the screen):

Advantages:
+ easier on the eyes, less eye strain
+ Objects seem big, you actually feel like you are inside the game
+ Better overall picture

Disadvantages:
- 2 Crosshairs (have to shoot in the middle)
- no popping out

Outside Screen:
Advantages:
+ Things pop out of the screen (WOW factor)
+ Better Crosshair position (perfect in the distance)

Disadvantages:
- Tires eyes quickly, uncomfortable
- sides of screen clip image nearest screen, therefore worse image quality
- Objects seem small, like you are playing a toy game
- Ghosting and clipping causes you not to fully realize the "popping out", brain gets confused also, you feel sick, tired quickly.

Most long time stereo gamers use "inside screen" with a little popping out.

There used to be an ancient feature which adjusted convergence automatically for maximum "wow" factor, but this was by an ancient company called ELSA. nVidia has an auto-convergence feature, but it has never worked, atleast not like it is supposed to.

This might be a good point to also mention the "ghosting" issue. the people who tell you to decrease separation to reduce ghosting. Don't listen to them. Its like ripping your arm off because you have an itch on your finger. You STILL get 100% ghosting, you just don't notice it "as much" sometimes because the ghosting is close together.

Separation (the distance between the deepest points on the screen) should be wide as possible without making you feel your eyes are getting strained (if the image is inside the screen).

-- Shahzad
Hi, Do you mean the CTL+F3 & CTL+F4 buttoms? because I did't see the hotkey option for CTL+F5 amd CTL+F6 in the nvidia panel~ any difference?
nathansteinke

Post by nathansteinke »

CtrlF5 and CtrlF6 control convergence, Ctrl F3 and Ctrl F4 control separation.

Separation is for things in the distance, Convergence is for things closer to you.

Hope that helps.
-Nate
DDuckMan
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by DDuckMan »

I liked Freke1's method of setting convergence and separation (in the Oblivion settings thread).
I had the same trouble. Try this:
1. Hold down Ctrl+F4 in 30 sec (= max seperation).
2. Hold down Ctrl+F5 in 30 sec (= zero convergence).
3. Hold down Ctrl+F6 in 30 sec (= max convergence).
4. Hold down Ctrl+F3 in 30 sec (= zero seperation).
5. Tab Ctrl+F4 6 times (giving You 6% seperation).
6. walk Your character up to an object 0.5 meters away in the game.
6. Use Ctrl+F5 and Ctrl+F6 to adjust so that the object 0.5 meters away from Your character "are aligned as an single object" or just adjust to Your liking.
7. Hit Ctrl+F7 to save setting.
I find this gives me the best possible real 3D. And it's awesome.
I use bloom and antialias.
Although I am not sure steps 1 and 2 are necessary.
MB - ASUS P5WDH Deluxe
CPU - E6600
RAM - 4GB
GPU - BFG GTX 280
Goggles - ELSA Revelator circa 1999
nVidia 3D Vision circa 2009
Xerion
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Xerion »

DDuckMan wrote:I liked Freke1's method of setting convergence and separation (in the Oblivion settings thread).
I had the same trouble. Try this:
1. Hold down Ctrl+F4 in 30 sec (= max seperation).
2. Hold down Ctrl+F5 in 30 sec (= zero convergence).
3. Hold down Ctrl+F6 in 30 sec (= max convergence).
4. Hold down Ctrl+F3 in 30 sec (= zero seperation).
5. Tab Ctrl+F4 6 times (giving You 6% seperation).
6. walk Your character up to an object 0.5 meters away in the game.
6. Use Ctrl+F5 and Ctrl+F6 to adjust so that the object 0.5 meters away from Your character "are aligned as an single object" or just adjust to Your liking.
7. Hit Ctrl+F7 to save setting.
I find this gives me the best possible real 3D. And it's awesome.
I use bloom and antialias.
Although I am not sure steps 1 and 2 are necessary.
Yes steps 1 and 2 are "cancelled" by step 3 and 4 anyway. Besides that the best settings are personal for everyone. Myself I can now play with maximum seperation. The way to adjust convergance is a good guide though, it's about the same as I do, except that I don't usually start out with max convergance, but stand close to an object, then up convergance untill I see double, then back down untill I see object as one again.
Current Rig: Intel i7 920 @ 4.0GHz, 6 GB ram, Geforce GTX670 -> Nvidia 3D Vision on LG 47LM615S (interlaced, spoofing Zalman EDID) + Oculus Rift
Control Peripherals: Novint Falcon, Razer Hydra, P5 Glove, XBOX 360 Controller, Wiimote, Saitek X52 Pro (flight control system), Logitech G27 (racing wheel), Logitech G15 (keyboard), Razer Naga Molten Edition (mouse)
RTsa
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by RTsa »

Xerion wrote:Myself I can now play with maximum seperation. The way to adjust convergance is a good guide though, it's about the same as I do, except that I don't usually start out with max convergance, but stand close to an object, then up convergance untill I see double, then back down untill I see object as one again.
I'm a little bit confused about these separation and convergence settings.

I tried Freke1's method (apparently) with 6% separation and got stuff to pop out of my screen really nicely after setting convergence so I could still focus on nearby objects.

But then other people are saying go for 100% separation! I tried that, too and I could focus on objects far away, but it was a tad harder. Also, the crosshair was just messed up and there was "more" (visible) ghosting. (separation 6% they're mostly so close it's hardly noticable)

Here're the pics: (don't mind the stripes!)

Separation 6%:

Separation 100%

I had convergence set to maximum I could focus with in both tries.
What's the verdict from the more experienced people here? :)
Freke1
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Freke1 »

@ johnoliver: You can configure Hot Keys 2 places in the CP. Also in "Stereo Game Configuration" (for Ctrl+F5/F6).

@ Xerion: The small "guide" comes from a thread where someone had problems getting the adjusting to work/have an effect. Sometimes it seems "locked" and cranking the Ctrl F3/F4/F5/F6 up and down sometimes helps. So the first 4 lines is normally unnessesary like You say.

@ RTsa: I'm totally confused too. I've seen 3D screenshots taken with a HUGE amount of separation and I feel like a crazy person watching them. And some use 60-100% separation in games. This is totally unplayable on my com (CRT+shutter glasses) so maybe they use a projector or Head Mounted Displays. But I don't think so. So I'm also interested in hearing from them.
This is what I consider very good 3D (all 4-6% separation):
http://www.3d.wep.dk/MIS/org.jps
http://www.3d.wep.dk/MIS/RelicCOH01_50.jps
http://www.3d.wep.dk/MIS/Race_Demo42_50.jps
http://www.3d.wep.dk/MIS/oblivion0750uc4.jps
http://www.3d.wep.dk/MIS/medieval201_50.jps
http://www.3d.wep.dk/MIS/aquamark14_50.jps
http://www.3d.wep.dk/MIS/DawnOfMagic12_99.jps
http://www.3d.wep.dk/MIS/BF286_50.jps
http://www.3d.wep.dk/MIS/BF207_99.jps
http://www.3d.wep.dk/MIS/sar200711_50.jps
(the 3D effect seems bigger/better when playing than the pics show)
Could someone shead some light on this? (How do You adjust convergence in Oblivion when using 60% separation?)
Last edited by Freke1 on Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
LukePC1
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by LukePC1 »

On my Planer Mirror Setup with 2 very old CRT's your pics look very shallow, like the world is about come centimeters from the nearest to the furthest plane deep.
But I usually use very extreme settings and even made some 3D pics on my digicam with about 6 feet (2 meters) 'eye-distance' :wink: .
I have to admit, they are realy hard to get and you can only focus on the background, but it add's a greater deepness, which isn't possible with normal body parts *g*.
I usually use no convergence to get the menue united...
See the pic's on my HP
http://home.pages.at/lukepc/stereo/page_01.htm
the pic's are alle made for Crosseye^^
RTsa
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by RTsa »

Freke1 wrote:@ RTsa: I'm totally confused too. I've seen 3D screenshots taken with a HUGE amount of separation and I feel like a crazy person watching them. And some use 60-100% separation in games. This is totally unplayable on my com (CRT+shutter glasses)
No, playable or unplayable isn't a problem for me. I could play with that amount of separation (kinda weird at start, but I got used to it pretty fast), I'm just asking which one do people prefer.

Having the crosshair doubled and more visible ghosting is IMO a bad thing and it drives me away from huge amounts of separation, as I don't see the difference to using only a little separation. I guess it's just personal preference.

Unless someone argues otherwise. ;)

Here're my impressions I posted on iC forums. There's a suggestion for MTBS3D as well! ;)
http://incrysis.com/forums/viewtopic.ph ... 841#p86841
I only had german instructions, but I still managed to plug everything in correctly. (MTBS3D, you should have a guide on your site for setting everything up for newbies like me! ;))
Last edited by RTsa on Fri May 18, 2007 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Neil

Quick Guide

Post by Neil »

Hi RTsa,

Here is a quick guide.

First, work with your naked eyes, not with the glasses.

Think of a top view of your game, and a giant X over it. Each corner of the X is a separation point in the distance, and up close.

Increasing the separation points at the top of the X (the distance, buildings that are far away, mountains, etc.), will increase your depth into the field. Like a car windshield looking out at the highway.

Increasing the separation points at the bottom of the X (up close - your gun, your hands, etc.) will increase the pop-out effect.

The middle of the X. or the center point, is something called "0 Parallax". This is where the in-game object goes from being inside your screen to outside your screen (pop-out).

Using Far Cry as an example, do the following.

1. Hitting CTRL-F3 and CTRL-F4 will control your separation. Separate the screen by a good inch to two inches at most.

2. Walk up to a tree until you are touching the bark. The separated images should come closer together - but not unite.

3. Hit CTRL-F6. As you hold it down, the left image should overlap the right image, until it joins and separates again. Let it separate for about half an inch - maybe a little more.

Now, while looking at the tree, walk back and walk forward.

The tree should separate, join, and separate again as you walk towards it.

The distance may be too wide or close together, so you will have to experiment to get the right balance between the two.

Put the glasses on, and you should be good to go.

This is where the NVIDIA lasersight comes in. The ingame crosshair won't be accurate anymore, so the lasersight compensates with an overlay.

Neil 8)
Isei
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Isei »

@RTsa

I'm no expert at this but I prefer playing with high separation because the image has greater depth than with low separation.

With low separation all you get is things 'popping out' and not much depth at all. High separation will give better immersion.

As for the ghosting it's something you will have to get used to, you can try increasing the brightness of your monitor and gamma to remove some ghosting.

In some games you can adjust the depth of the HUD/Crosshair by adjusting the convergence.. That way you can put the crosshair at a good depth. Or you could use the nvidia Laser sight, this is bugged with my system I get about 5 fps when I enable it but it might work for you..

@Freke1

I looked at your screenshots and you do indeed get some nice pop out and 3d effects on the objects that are very close to the screen.. But if you look further away things look very flat. Higher separation makes the whole image look 'deep', with your settings you only get 3d/pop out effect on the things that are close to you..
RTsa
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by RTsa »

That perhaps cleared something up! Thanks. :)

I forgot the link to the impressions in my last post. I was tired. :P
http://incrysis.com/forums/viewtopic.ph ... 841#p86841
DDuckMan
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by DDuckMan »

For the most realistic, but maybe not the most dramatic 3D effect, shouldn't the separation be set at about the same distance as your interpupilary distance? Otherwise your eyes would have to actually diverge to see objects in the far distance. That may be 6%, as Freke1 likes to use, on a larger monitor; but much more than 6% on a small monitor.

If I understand correctly, it may be more useful to discuss distance between images of distant object on the screen rather than raw percentage values for separation. This way the effect would apply to all screen sizes. Neil addressed this in his F/U post.

I am curious, as I haven't had working 3D in over a year, what does "100% separation" mean? Is it determined by what is set as your screen size in the driver? If the screen size is properly chosen, does "100% separation" automatically set the separation at your interpupilary distance?
MB - ASUS P5WDH Deluxe
CPU - E6600
RAM - 4GB
GPU - BFG GTX 280
Goggles - ELSA Revelator circa 1999
nVidia 3D Vision circa 2009
LukePC1

Post by LukePC1 »

I use a 17" CRT, so that might be the reason, why I can handle so much Seperation. I also played on a 19" but that didn't make much difference, I believe to remember.

I thought if the image is smaller, the head goes nearer to it or the brain calculates it into known sizes. But with the crosseye method there is a siginficant difference of deepnes, so you'll be right.

For me 100% seperation means maximum deepnes. Unfortunately there is no value beyound that point. In racing games the track appears to be hundreds of meters away, or at least the impression is easier to get.

I use this settings also for shooters with large distances. Maximum deepness and then try to get some popout effect, too. Usually the weapon gets out of focus, but the main parts are still in the game....
I think I need a bigger screen ;-)

Luke
Play Nations at WAR with this code to get 5.000$ as a Starterbonus:
ayqz1u0s
http://mtbs3d.com/naw/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AMD x2 4200+ 2gb Dualchannel
GF 7900gs for old CRT with Elsa Revelator SG's
currently 94.24 Forceware and 94.24 Stereo with XP sp2!
RTsa
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by RTsa »

LukePC1 wrote:I use a 17" CRT, so that might be the reason, why I can handle so much Seperation.
I think it's the complete opposite. If you take it to extremes, it's easier to see. Consider playing on a 1" CRT..if you saw a tree, it couldn't be separated too much. Now, if you played on a 100" CRT, the tree would probably be more separated with the same settings, don't you think? ;)

DDuckMan's right that unless 100% separation means the interpupilary distance, it would be more useful to state the absolute separation amount. :)

I'm a n00b, but it makes sense. ;)
LukePC1

Post by LukePC1 »

I ment to say on my screen 100% seperation is about 5cm (2Inches). On a (much) bigger screen the percentages are the same, but the distance between the left and right immage increases to 10cm (4 Inches), because the driver makes no difference between monitor-sizes, just between resolution(s) and this might be a little hard to see.

So if you make Shots with eye distance on my small monitor the distance between left and right immage shrinks to half my Eye distance, which is very low...

This might explain, why I can handle much seperation and Convergence, as long, as the object of interest is still on screen, what it should, if I just get .JPS screenshots from here.

I'm not shure, if I express my self correct, so forgive me ;-)

Luke
Play Nations at WAR with this code to get 5.000$ as a Starterbonus:
ayqz1u0s
http://mtbs3d.com/naw/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AMD x2 4200+ 2gb Dualchannel
GF 7900gs for old CRT with Elsa Revelator SG's
currently 94.24 Forceware and 94.24 Stereo with XP sp2!
Freke1
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Freke1 »

DDuckMan wrote:For the most realistic, but maybe not the most dramatic 3D effect, shouldn't the separation be set at about the same distance as your interpupilary distance?
True I think. Never thought of that. Realistic separation on far away objects should be interpupilar distance. That would mean 100% on my monitor.
100% in FlatOut is too much though. And then there is the problem with ghosting, shadowsdepth, crosshairs in FPS: "looks real 3D but I can't hit 'em capt'n" :D . In FlatOut 20% (~1cm) looks more realistic which is odd.
DDuckMan wrote: I am curious, as I haven't had working 3D in over a year, what does "100% separation" mean? Is it determined by what is set as your screen size in the driver? If the screen size is properly chosen, does "100% separation" automatically set the separation at your interpupilary distance?
I would imaging it depended on monitor size (with a projector 100% must be too much).
RTsa
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by RTsa »

Ah, all this does explain why people thing other people's stereoscopic screenshots are bad or they can't look at them! :)

Is it fixable, though? It's a shame if you can only look at screeshots that have been made by people with the same sized screens! :|
Freke1
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Freke1 »

I think DDuckMan is right. Separation on far away objects should be interpupilar distance (or slightly less) and separation on objects that are "monitor distance" away in the game (f.ex Your sword) should be zero
("monitor distance" as the distance between You and Your monitor).
That would be like we see the world in real life no?
If You use a projector this means a lot less separation and a a little more convergence (= a lot less ghosting).
I guess I have to start getting use to ghosting and double crosshairs...:shock:
RAGEdemon
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by RAGEdemon »

This is all great stuff, but I fear that things are a tad more complicated.

The following is absolutely useless for playing a game, but it is what to do to get a proper "real life" stereo image.

First, taking FPS as an example, you look from screen depth ie where your screen is, that is where the pov is meant to be from - "on the spot". Im not sure how better to explain this, but if you think about it, go into an FPS game and do a 180, you will notice that you are rotating from screen depth, NOT from where you are sitting. To get a view from where you are sitting, you will have to "zoom" in game.
Second, the FOV is not right. Turn the FOV quite low ie measure the angle from one side of your screen to the other from where you are sitting. On small monitors, it wll be about 25 degrees and on projectors at a comfortable distance, its about 70 degrees.

Ofcourse , with "zoom" and FOV correction, you can only see a tiny part of the world, and this isnt even with stereo enabled.

With this done and stereo on, stick 2 fingers pointing outwards towards the screen from the bottom of your eyes. Close one eye and adjust the seperation till the seperation for that eye hits the point where you are pointing. Now do the same for the other eye. Keep doing this till both finger points meet each seperation point respectively -- Now you have perfect seperation.

Now for perfect convergence: stick a finger outwards from the center of your eyes... maybe your nose, towards one side of the seperated image. make the convergence so that it lines up perfectly with this finger. Now do the same for the other eye. The images should "converge" NOT at the screen but behind your head, ie you can draw a straight line going from one sid seperation to your corrosponding eye and the same for the other eye and its respective seperation and it will meet just behind the head.

Now, you have perfect simulation for "real world". It is like puting a box around your head with a small rectangle (your screen) cut out in front which you look through.

Absolutely useless for gaming as zooming and FOV correction means you can't really see the game world.

Now, onto something a bit more useful:

For playing games in stereo, in my opinion, the best way is tomake the image converge just a little inside the screenso you get a little popping out. Now, adjust seperation so the preceived size of objects at screen depth is the preceived size of them at further away.

Important:
If the seperation is too high then although your eyes might feel comfortable, the objects further away will seem very big and when you walk close to them they will become small.

At max seperation your eyes can handle, lets take an object that is in post games: the good old crate.
At screen depth the crate will be very small. At max seperation, this thing will look like it is very far away and the exremely large. When you move close and further from it, your brain will get confused. Is it close? Is it far away? is it bigger? is it smaller? Surely the further away something gets, the smaller it is, not the opposite! your brain will say.

THIS is what gives people headaches, motion sickness, and "eye strain" when they are playing in stereo - not the seperation itself. It is NOT wise to play at the maximum seperation that you think your eyes can handle. If you want high seperation, then adjust convergence accordingly - so that the scene converges outside the screen (no pop out) but the the game world looks proper with correct aspect ratios of close and further away objects.

It is important to keep the correlation between convergence and seperation in mind for the best experience. They are not 2 seperate entities, but 2 parts of the same thing which need to be adjusted in tandem for the best possible experience.

I hope this has helped someone. I appologise if what I am saying isn't clear, but it is geared generally towards people who are already well familliar with the subject.

For "newbies", the best advice is to trust your instincts: decrease seperation to almost 0, Make the scene converge at the screen, and now, slowly increase seperation till you feel what you see at the screen is actually what you see when you move far away from that position - ie, what is most comfortable. Tthe perfect place is surprisingly easy to find - your ind just clicks.

Amending the perceptiont then that "higher seperation is better": Higher seperation is only better till you reach that "perfect" seperation. Higher than that and you are going in reverse - worse infact as less seperation wont actually give you a headache, motion sickness, or eye strain but higher seperation will ;)

-- Shahzad
Windows 11 64-Bit | 12900K @ 5.3GHz | 2080 Ti OC | 32GB 3900MHz CL16 RAM | Optane PCIe SSD RAID-0 | Sound Blaster ZxR | 2x 2000W ButtKicker LFE | nVidia 3D Vision | 3D Projector @ DSR 1600p | HP Reverb G2
Freke1
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Freke1 »

You're right (as allways). Lets try and crack this shall we?
Here's what I've come up with:

1. Point Of View. In First Person Shooters You're right the gamecharacter rotates from "screendepth". This has an influence on how to set separation and convergence but it doesn't really have an influence on the images my eyes sees. An image twice as big twice as far away looks just like the same image half the size half the distance away (like layers in a pyramid). In effect my monitor shows my eyes the images a Head Mounted Display should have shown me to have the correct Point Of View. This we have to remember when adjusting separation and convergence but it has no impact on the images Our eyes see.

2. Field Of View. The field of view is limited by the game if You position Yourself in the correct distance from the monitor/screen. If You position Yourself very close to a projector screen You get a huge Field Of View but things look to big. To find the correct distance to my monitor/screen I take a 2 tanks like in the picture below:
The 2 blue distances (the lenght of the tank and the distance to Your monitor - both measured with a ruler) should have this relationship:
L(monitor) = 0,87 * L(tank)
In my case when viewing the tank in 3D (100% separation) (2D makes it look smaller) the tank measures 25,5 cm so the distance to the monitor should be 0,87 * 25,5 cm = 22 cm. Then it doesn't look like a toy tank or a monster tank. The Field Of View is then governed by the game not by my monitor size. This is game specific - do the game look like through a wideangel og is there zoom effect.

3. Separation. Since the games Point Of View as You stated so correctly is "designed" to Head Mounted Displays lets use that. I've never tried HMD's but I would imagin that separation is provided by the physical distance between the two displays and not by the driver. If this is the case then an object far away in the center of the Field Of View would be rendered in the center of the Head Mounted Displays 2 mini LCDs making both of the eyes look straight ahead (parallel). But if You use a monitor/projector screen to "feed" Your eyes the exact same images only redered bigger and further away, this would mean that separation (measured with a ruler) should allways be the distance between Our eyes:

4. Convergence. Again, since the game shows the gameworld like HMD's would, gameobjects that look like they are right in Our face should have zero separation (be aligned as one object). This means no "popping out" effects unfortunately.

As not all game are MTBS certified setting up the 3D often results in more comfortable 3D settings but it's still a million times
better than 2D.

Here's Battlefield 2 and Oblivion with these settings (as best I can adjust) on my 19" monitor:
not exactly comfortable viewing. And keeping my head 22cm from the monitor in BF2 is a no go.

So what You and Chopper suggested might be best:
RAGEdemon wrote: For playing games in stereo, in my opinion, the best way is tomake the image converge just a little inside the screenso you get a little popping out. Now, adjust seperation so the preceived size of objects at screen depth is the preceived size of them at further away.
unless You want ultrarealistic 3D.
Last edited by Freke1 on Sun May 27, 2007 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
RAGEdemon
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by RAGEdemon »

Wow! thanks for the diagrams matey. I was worried that noone would understand what I was on about :wink:

Top Man :D
Windows 11 64-Bit | 12900K @ 5.3GHz | 2080 Ti OC | 32GB 3900MHz CL16 RAM | Optane PCIe SSD RAID-0 | Sound Blaster ZxR | 2x 2000W ButtKicker LFE | nVidia 3D Vision | 3D Projector @ DSR 1600p | HP Reverb G2
RTsa
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by RTsa »

I believe it's a matter of personal preference. I want to enjoy the games and see the effect, but I don't want to get headaches and stuff like that. (I haven't, yet..I suppose I haven't played too much with awkward settings :P)

I don't really need "realistic" 3D. At least, not yet. Maybe my opinion will change in time.

Keep the discussion flowing, though! :)
rufuz
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by rufuz »

What about things like Frustrum Adjustment, Screen Depth and Backplane, do those settings not matter?

PS. Hi, I'm new! :mrgreen:
DFI LanParty UT nF4 SLI-D
AMD Athlon64 3200+ @ 2.61 Ghz
2x1GB Corsair XMS @ 217 Mhz
eVGA GeForce 7900GTX SC 512MB @ 690/880
2x 36GB WD Raptor 10k @ RAID-0
21" Sony E500 CRT
eDimensional Wireless 3D Glasses
sharky

Post by sharky »

what do you think about moving this thread to the DIY section letting here a mirror? i think that this thread is important for both sections! i let you decide.. bye
Adam Savage: "I reject your reality and substitute it for my own."
Jamie Hyneman: "It's really cool, but really unusual."

Freke1
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Freke1 »

rufuz wrote:What about things like Frustrum Adjustment, Screen Depth and Backplane, do those settings not matter?
They don't work I believe, don't know why though.
sharky

Post by sharky »

ehm, could somebody tell me what those settings are?? never heard of them!

Freke1
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Freke1 »

If You click on configure Hot-Keys:
You'll see them (but they don't work on my com).
Neil once explained that You had to tick/mark "Force HW TnL off":
to get them to work.
sharky

Post by sharky »

thank you for the answer freke. but what do they? i mean what heppens if i increase or decrease one of them?

Freke1
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Freke1 »

Good question. I have no idea.
sharky

Post by sharky »

NEILLLLLLLLLLLL WE NEED YOUR HELPPPPPPP :D :lol: :lol: :lol:

Neil

Post by Neil »

Well, they are useless for most games.,

However, some games, if you select HW TnL OFF, when you hit CTRL-F10 and hold it down, your interface won't split!

I think it gives the virtual space more depth, so the interface no longer needs to separate.

Unfortunately, the trade-off is you will lose a lot of game speed.

Neil
artox
Cross Eyed!

Post by artox »

Frustrum Adjustment, Screen Depth and Backplane - I believe they worked with some dx7 games, which is too bad because they were used to bring the hud in front of everything else.
wuhlei
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by wuhlei »

can please some one post an screenshot to show the difference between the inside and outside effect?
Albert Einstein
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination."
Freke1
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Freke1 »

"inside" effect:
much separation, little convergence.
realistic 3D, for 1. person shooters and racing seat view position.
big picture link: http://www.mtbs3d.com/gallery/albums/us ... S11_50.jpg

"outside"/popout effect:
little separation, much convergence.
for 3. person games and outside racing car view position.
big picture link: http://www.mtbs3d.com/gallery/albums/us ... S10_50.jpg

correct me if I'm wrong.

Return to “Do it Yourself!”