Another DIY HMD, cheap build, 7" 1024x600, 5X Loupe lenses.

Tutorials on how to create your own rigs, pics, movies, and everything that has to do with S-3D at home!
srbaude
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: Another DIY HMD, cheap build, 7" 1024x600, 5X Loupe lens

Post by srbaude »

Hi Will1384, Great work on your DIY DK1 Tracker, I ordered the parts and built my own and works a treat.
However I do have some questions.

With the Oculus Runtime, Is a DK1 screen required (eg a LCD flashed/spoofed with the Oculus EDID)?
I can complete the Calibration using the 0.3.2 Oculus Utility but its not discovered in version 0.4.4 or above.
Before I start ordering the things in need to spoof the EDID I thought I would ask.

Also have you tried your tracker with Vireio Perception Oculus Track plugin? I get "HMD not detected" so I am thinking I need to spoof the EDID.
will1384
Cross Eyed!

Post by will1384 »

srbaude wrote:Hi Will1384, Great work on your DIY DK1 Tracker, I ordered the parts and built my own and works a treat.
However I do have some questions.

With the Oculus Runtime, Is a DK1 screen required (eg a LCD flashed/spoofed with the Oculus EDID)?
I can complete the Calibration using the 0.3.2 Oculus Utility but its not discovered in version 0.4.4 or above.
Before I start ordering the things in need to spoof the EDID I thought I would ask.

Also have you tried your tracker with Vireio Perception Oculus Track plugin? I get "HMD not detected" so I am thinking I need to spoof the EDID.
Yea the EDID is needed for the SDK/Runtime, not sure on Vireio Perception.
srbaude
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by srbaude »

With some fiddling, I can get my tracker to work with Vireio's oculustrack plugin using the 0.4.4 runtime. I can also complete the Mag Calibration in 0.4.4.

After going through Wil1384 posts about spoofing the edid and discovering the website to the diy programmer is down (gone?) I thought I would share this image with you all I found on google.

Its about the simplest programmer you will find for programming a eeprom 24cXX chip. Worked great for me.

Last I need to jig this up to a hdmi or DVI cable (have to see what I have lying around) and then my 1280x800 VR headset will be complete. Photos to come...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
srbaude
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by srbaude »

So went down to the local electronics/hobbyist shop and picked up a 24LC256 eeprom because they didn't have the 24lc21.
I cannot for the life of me get it to work, I have gone through wil1384s instructions for creating an oval edid but when I plug it all in I get a non pip monitor and cannot change resolutions. The monitor info program doesn't see the monitor plugged in at all either which means the eeprom is t working. I have that the chip is getting .
Is it possible the 24LC256 will not work for this build? Should I go ahead and purchase a 24lc21 from eBay?
will1384
Cross Eyed!

Post by will1384 »

srbaude wrote:So went down to the local electronics/hobbyist shop and picked up a 24LC256 eeprom because they didn't have the 24lc21.
I cannot for the life of me get it to work, I have gone through wil1384s instructions for creating an oval edid but when I plug it all in I get a non pip monitor and cannot change resolutions. The monitor info program doesn't see the monitor plugged in at all either which means the eeprom is t working. I have that the chip is getting .
Is it possible the 24LC256 will not work for this build? Should I go ahead and purchase a 24lc21 from eBay?
I downloaded the PDFs for both chips, there is not a lot of difference, but I did see that the 24LC21 supports DDC1 and DDC2, that’s used by the EDID:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Display_Data_Channel

but the PDF of the 24LC256 does not have DDC1 and DDC2 listed as features, however, I did find a Cellphone HTC Desire HD LCD to computer display project using HDMI, that seems to use a 24LC256 for the EDID

http://www.sharedcircuits.com/index.php ... article=33

Its called the "Manga Screen":

https://bitbucket.org/intelligentagent/ ... ?at=master

in later versions they switched to a 24AA01 chip for EDID.
srbaude
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by srbaude »

Ahh well that would do it then.
I couldn't find any 24lc21 chips on eBay for an acceptable price (AU$20 being the cheapest delivered) but I did find 5x 24lc02 chips for AU$6.50 so I bought them as somebody in this forum used them for his spoofer. They will take a few weeks to deliver .
srbaude
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by srbaude »

Hey Will quick question
I stumbled across your V2 Spoofer at http://imgur.com/a/HVage
Does this spoofer not require an external power source? is the power supplied to the chip through the cable?
Since im waiting for my 24LC02 chips to arrive I think i'll build your V2 spoofer but I just wanted to clarify the power source first.

Edit: I re-read the diagram and I can see that the 5V, Hotplug and Clock and Data stop at the Spoofer with Ground the only wire passing through. I take it this means that yes the power is being supplied to the chip from the computer.
will1384
Cross Eyed!

Post by will1384 »

srbaude wrote:Hey Will quick question
I stumbled across your V2 Spoofer at http://imgur.com/a/HVage
Does this spoofer not require an external power source? is the power supplied to the chip through the cable?
Since im waiting for my 24LC02 chips to arrive I think i'll build your V2 spoofer but I just wanted to clarify the power source first.

Edit: I re-read the diagram and I can see that the 5V, Hotplug and Clock and Data stop at the Spoofer with Ground the only wire passing through. I take it this means that yes the power is being supplied to the chip from the computer.
I had to switch to the v2 EDID Spoofer after I found out the first EDID Spoofer I made only worked on a few computers, the v2 EDID Spoofer gets its power from the video cable, the Clock, Data, +5v, and Hot Plug end at the EDID Spoofer, and the ground connects all three devices, also all the video signal wires connect the computer directly to the LCD bypassing the EDID Spoofer.
srbaude
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by srbaude »

Daturian wrote:IT'S ALIVE!!
After programming a 2K EEPROM (24LC02) with the full Enhanced EDID of my screen with the three values set, my 1440p screen is now showing up at 60Hz and as an HDMI connection AND being detected as a Rift screen :woot

I also purchased a couple of 24LCS22 2K EEPROM as well as they are specifically mentioned for E-EDID applications, but I could only get them in surface mount (super tiny!), but luckily the standard 24LC02 in a DIP package worked.

Just have to say it again Will, thanks for posting all the info you have!

Edit:
I've also not included the magnetometer on my circuit as of yet, as you had mentioned that the calibration fails anyway. I'm able to get this set up working up to SDK 0.4.4 but 0.5.0.1 doesn't detect it. I also hooked up the magnetometer (sans the extra wire that needs to be hooked up on pin 9) and still no detection. I'm going to try getting that extra wire hooked up and see if that helps any tonight.
Daturian, what screen are you using? is it LVDS or a MIPI screen? if its Mipi how are you interfacing it to hdmi?
netrum
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by netrum »

Hi Will!

First of all, thanks so much for all you work here! It's been so much fun doing this project with such a great source of documentation.
I have a question concerning the tracker though.
So, I just finished building the tracker, and it works. I didn't buy the HMC5983 chip because seems like it's unnecessary. However, now I am getting some noticeable drifting while playing. Did you find any solution to this or should I just ignore it?

Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
will1384
Cross Eyed!

Post by will1384 »

netrum wrote:Hi Will!

First of all, thanks so much for all you work here! It's been so much fun doing this project with such a great source of documentation.
I have a question concerning the tracker though.
So, I just finished building the tracker, and it works. I didn't buy the HMC5983 chip because seems like it's unnecessary. However, now I am getting some noticeable drifting while playing. Did you find any solution to this or should I just ignore it?

Thanks!
I always get drift with and without HMC5983, and most of the tests I have done shows it not helping much if any, but that’s not to say the HMC5983 wont work for you, the way I test for drift is the old Oculus Configuration Utility v0.2.5, and its Interactive Utility / Settings Viewer it has a nice grid so that you can measure drift, I set the DIY rift on a table, start the Interactive Utility / Settings Viewer then pick up the DIY rift and then set it back down on the table, now I measure the drift, I put the mouse pointer on one of the grid line intersections and start a timer, not the most scientific test but I did not know how else to test, the last time I tested like this with and without the HMC5983 I was only getting a few centimetres drift in 60 seconds, I remember around 2 centimetres, if you are getting a lot more than that give the HMC5983 a try and see if it helps any, also report back if that helps.

I was having trouble getting the older Oculus Configuration Utility v0.2.5 working and had one of the newer Oculus runtimes running, I found out that you need to pause the newer Oculus runtimes's OVRService before the older Oculus Configuration Utility v0.2.5 will work.
srbaude
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by srbaude »

Hey all, so the 24lc02 chip arrived, programmed with my custom oculus edit and BAM, Rift DK appears as a monitor!
Huge thanks again to Will for all the hard work he's put into his own Rift and sharing all his work.

When I'm not lazily posting on forums on the couch I will post some photos but first some notes.

The headset is detected in Oculus SDK version 0.5.0.0 and I can complete the magnetic calibration. I haven't measured any drift yet but nothing has been overly noticeable . I haven't tried the latest SDK as of yet.
I am using the hmc5983 but not the same one from Wills post detailing the parts he used with his tracker, I used a GY-281 while Will used a GY-282. I still had to modify Pin 9.

All games and demos I've thrown at it work, including AAAaaaAAA and InmindVR.
Vireio Perception oculustrack plugin works

I'll keep updating this post as I keep testing
netrum
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by netrum »

Okay, I figured it out.

I was using the newest SDK (0.6) which seemed to be the cause of all my problems. Some apps would crash at the very beginning (Sightline The Chair, Tuscany Demo and few others) and judging by the errorlog, seems like the oculusplugin.dll is the cause. I couldn't even get the Direct display mode working and the old v0.3 DK1 only apps were missing headtracking completely.
Now I downgraded to SDK 0.4.4 and everything works perfectly. Direct and legacy apps work with no problems and the whole drifting issue is gone as well!

Srbaude and Will, could you test the newest SDK at some point and see if you are experiencing the same issues?
will1384
Cross Eyed!

Post by will1384 »

netrum wrote:Okay, I figured it out.

I was using the newest SDK (0.6) which seemed to be the cause of all my problems. Some apps would crash at the very beginning (Sightline The Chair, Tuscany Demo and few others) and judging by the errorlog, seems like the oculusplugin.dll is the cause. I couldn't even get the Direct display mode working and the old v0.3 DK1 only apps were missing headtracking completely.
Now I downgraded to SDK 0.4.4 and everything works perfectly. Direct and legacy apps work with no problems and the whole drifting issue is gone as well!

Srbaude and Will, could you test the newest SDK at some point and see if you are experiencing the same issues?
See my earlier post here
will1384 wrote:The newer Oculus runtime seems to give some people problems with the DK1, including me, have a look over at:

http://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments ... ct_my_dk1/

http://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments ... ted_v0501/

https://forums.oculus.com/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=22361

It mostly gives me problems with stuff that requires the newer Oculus runtime, like Steam VR, I can get older stuff to work, basically if I clone the desktop display or "Duplicate These Displays" the the new Oculus runtime stops recognizing the DK1.
I had to uninstall all the new-er runtimes and go back to 0.4.4, I believe its a matter of them concentrating all the effort on the consumer model right now, I am sure they will fix this later.
srbaude
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by srbaude »

netrum wrote:Okay, I figured it out.

I haven't upgraded to 0.6 yet, but 0.5 seems to work fine for me when in extend mode. Im at work at the moment so I cant do any testing for you, and I haven't tried mine in duplicate mode.
I've been meaning to try SteamVR but haven't looked into it much yet, what are the sdk requirements?

Edit: not getting any crashes on 0.6.0.0 but now games wont launch with perception running. Eg. Skyrim I get failed to initialize renderer.

Another Edit: Downgraded back to sdk 0.4.4. Vireio now works except I have to set it to Oculus Rift (All Variants) or the head tracker wont enable. This is fine except the anaglyph 3d also enables (red/green to give the perception of depth) which of course my headset doesn't support. If I set it to DIY Rift Vireio doesn't enable the headtracker. Anyway to turn off the Anaglyph in Vireio when Oculus Rift (All Variants) is set, or enable the headtracker when DIY Rift is enabled? I do prefer the warping done with the Oculus Rift Mode.

Final edit: figured it out, had to disable chromatic aberration. But this was after buying, and being disappointed by, VorpX.
watermanpc
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by watermanpc »

Hi guys, great job here!!...I have started recently to mount my own "rift" but I have reached a point with a weird "issue" I cant solve...Im using this diagram :
but for some reason, the pin 17 (ground) is missing :?: ...i cant find the cable for the pin 17 and I have tested ALL with the polimeter...what am I doing wrong??...btw I found the 15 and 16.

Is there something "special" with the pin 17???

Many thanks guys!!
c3pp0
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by c3pp0 »

hi all!

thanks for sharing all your efforts with the crowd!!!

I wanted to play steamvr games and also be able to try vorpx with a shield tablet and a Dive 7.
First I tried to fake just the usb device with a teensy but that didn't really work (vr mode option was enabled in steam) and
patching the ovr service seemed to be too much hassle.

So I googled and found yetifrisstlama's blog about a DIY rift and I bought a STM32F3DISCOVERY to mess around with,
which worked a little bit better, but I still had massive problems (I guess I'm too clumsy :D) with spoofing the EDID.
I finally found your thread and ordered two of those little guys, but they still haven't arrived yet, which is why I also ordered
an openpilot board. I could use the discovery board to flash the openpilot board with the dk1 tracker firmware,
gave up on building an EDID spoofer myself and bought an HDMI decoder board from adafruit.
Now I it's running (no tracking with the openpilotboard yet:( ) and even recognized by 0.6 runtime which also almost immediately crashes...
Nonetheless I could play steam vr games and vorpx with 0.5.0.1 via geforce gamestream as server and moonlight as client on a shield tablet (5 ms latency) and a sasmung s4 (22 ms latency).

I'm really curious about how well the tracking works with minimum system development boards. At the moment I'm using ondevice sensorfusion and mouse emulation...

will1384
Cross Eyed!

Post by will1384 »

c3pp0 wrote:hi all!

thanks for sharing all your efforts with the crowd!!!

I wanted to play steamvr games and also be able to try vorpx with a shield tablet and a Dive 7.
First I tried to fake just the usb device with a teensy but that didn't really work (vr mode option was enabled in steam) and
patching the ovr service seemed to be too much hassle.

So I googled and found yetifrisstlama's blog about a DIY rift and I bought a STM32F3DISCOVERY to mess around with,
which worked a little bit better, but I still had massive problems (I guess I'm too clumsy :D) with spoofing the EDID.
I finally found your thread and ordered two of those little guys, but they still haven't arrived yet, which is why I also ordered
an openpilot board. I could use the discovery board to flash the openpilot board with the dk1 tracker firmware,
gave up on building an EDID spoofer myself and bought an HDMI decoder board from adafruit.
Now I it's running (no tracking with the openpilotboard yet:( ) and even recognized by 0.6 runtime which also almost immediately crashes...
Nonetheless I could play steam vr games and vorpx with 0.5.0.1 via geforce gamestream as server and moonlight as client on a shield tablet (5 ms latency) and a sasmung s4 (22 ms latency).

I'm really curious about how well the tracking works with minimum system development boards. At the moment I'm using ondevice sensorfusion and mouse emulation...
I was never able to use the sensors from the drone/model aircraft board I was testing, the sensors were very close but talked in a different language than the sensors in the real rift tracker, but it was detected by the rift software, I think the programming could have been changed to make it work, but I don't know how to do that.

The tracking with the minimum system development board works very well, but has a slight amount of drift.

I am a little worried about that TFP401 from adafruit, a quote from its web page: "We've used this breakout with 800x480 displays, so we have not specifically tested it with higher resolutions." and you need 1280×720 or more for VR, but if it works report back because it looks lighter and easier to work with than the LCD driver most of us are using.
will1384
Cross Eyed!

Post by will1384 »

watermanpc wrote:Hi guys, great job here!!...I have started recently to mount my own "rift" but I have reached a point with a weird "issue" I cant solve...Im using this diagram :
but for some reason, the pin 17 (ground) is missing :?: ...i cant find the cable for the pin 17 and I have tested ALL with the polimeter...what am I doing wrong??...btw I found the 15 and 16.

Many thanks guys!!
It may be a cheap cable, and they may not have an extra wire for ground, so you may have to use the shield wire.
watermanpc
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by watermanpc »

will1384 wrote:
watermanpc wrote:Hi guys, great job here!!...I have started recently to mount my own "rift" but I have reached a point with a weird "issue" I cant solve...Im using this diagram :

Many thanks guys!!
It may be a cheap cable, and they may not have an extra wire for ground, so you may have to use the shield wire.

many thanks for the reply mate!1...the cable is cheap yes, but I dont understand what you mean with "...you may have to use the shield wire..."...my english is very limited could you tell me exactly whats the "shield wire"...btw I have tried using as the ground cable one which doesnt have any shield (a very thin one without any covering) but the spoofer dont work so maybe thats not the ground neither...

Many thanks!!

EDIT: Ok, finally it works, in my case the thin uncovered wire was the ground one...tested again and it worked!!...many thanks mates!!
will1384
Cross Eyed!

Post by will1384 »

watermanpc wrote:
many thanks for the reply mate!1...the cable is cheap yes, but I dont understand what you mean with "...you may have to use the shield wire..."...my english is very limited could you tell me exactly whats the "shield wire"...btw I have tried using as the ground cable one which doesnt have any shield (a very thin one without any covering) but the spoofer dont work so maybe thats not the ground neither...

Many thanks!!
The shield wire connects the metal housing ends of the cable, and is likely a bunch of bare wire, Googling "shield wire" will show some pictures, also have a look at this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shielded_cable
watermanpc
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by watermanpc »

will1384 wrote:
watermanpc wrote:

Many thanks!!
The shield wire connects the metal housing ends of the cable, and is likely a bunch of bare wire, Googling "shield wire" will show some pictures, also have a look at this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shielded_cable

Many, many thanks mate!!, now its clear, everything is working now!!... :D
watermanpc
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by watermanpc »

ok, Now I´m working on the lens.
I bought these: http://www.ebay.es/itm/151215824923?_tr ... EBIDX%3AIT
but I can´t do the images converge right :cry: :cry:

Any help??
will1384
Cross Eyed!

Post by will1384 »

watermanpc wrote:ok, Now I´m working on the lens.

Any help??
You may have to get better lenses, those look like they may not work all that well, get something like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5x-pocket-loupe ... 1148139033

they are thick and heavy duty lenses but with very little distortion, and are also just about as scratch resistant as my prescription eyeglasses with plastic lenses, the 5x pocket loupe lenses focus at about 2 inches or 50.8 millimeters or 5.08 centimeters.

Have a look over here for info on lenses:

https://vrwiki.wikispaces.com/Lenses
watermanpc
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by watermanpc »

will1384 wrote:

Any help??
You may have to get better lenses, those look like they may not work all that well, get something like this:

they are thick and heavy duty lenses but with very little distortion, and are also just about as scratch resistant as my prescription eyeglasses with plastic lenses, the 5x pocket loupe lenses focus at about 2 inches or 50.8 millimeters or 5.08 centimeters.

ok Will, Im gonna buy those lenses as you said because yes, it looks like the ones I have now are the problem...its like they need too much distance to focus and so I have to move away too much from the screen...i will come back here as soon as I get the new lenses...meanwhile (which is gonna be a long time as I leve in Spain :| ) I want to thank you A LOT all your effort here man!!! that would not be possible without you!!! many, many thanks mate!! ;)
will1384
Cross Eyed!

Post by will1384 »

watermanpc wrote:
will1384 wrote:

Any help??

ok Will, Im gonna buy those lenses as you said because yes, it looks like the ones I have now are the problem...its like they need too much distance to focus and so I have to move away too much from the screen...i will come back here as soon as I get the new lenses...meanwhile (which is gonna be a long time as I leve in Spain :| ) I want to thank you A LOT all your effort here man!!! that would not be possible without you!!! many, many thanks mate!! ;)
The lenses I talked about are not perfect, and are more costly than I like, but they are good quality, they focus close to the LCD, and are large in diameter, I have not had any big problems using them, except for the fact that I use eye glasses for nearsightedness and without my glasses my eyes are have to be very close to the lenses, enough that my eyelashes sometime touch the lenses, but its not enough to cause problems for me, but just be aware of possible problems if you use glasses, also none of the DIY designs I have seen will work with glasses.
watermanpc
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by watermanpc »

finishing my Project, thanks will!
Viroculars
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Viroculars »

Hi all!

Just wanted to share my experiences, for the benefit of anyone trying a DIY HMD. I've been designing and building a google cardboard style headset for about the past year and thought it would be cool to have a little computer strap on the side that would work with steam/oculus runtime.

I had the same idea as C3po above of using a CC3D, because of it's attractive price, small size and sports a MPU6000 gyro as does the DK1.

I'm not an electronics engineer or programmer myself, but since if successful a device like this would add value to my HMD product, I didn't mind shelling out a bit. I was lucky to have the pleasure to work with a very skilled lad in China with a background working on and designing flight control boards.

Unfortunately we've had to call it a day today, although we had the board working with tracking on Oculus 3.2 we realized we had made a major oversight underestimating the importance of the Mag, as without it you get major drift issues.

I think getting the board to work with later Oculus runtimes would be fairly trivial, the biggest issue in getting tracking together at all was writing custom firmware for the different CPU.

In hindsight we probably could have made a success of the project had we used a Aeroquad32, CC3D revolution or AduIMU board. Since these boards have price tags starting at $60 each, it's not worth me pursuing the project. Still interested in trying again, but with the release of OSVR around the corner I'll wait to see what that brings rather than trying to get something working with the relatively dated DK1.

As for the EDID spoofer, I found a much simpler solution for about $14. I wrote an email to a guy on ebay selling EDID Dummy plugs and asked if he'd mind uploading a custom file (found a few pages back on this thread).

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HDMI-dummy-pl ... 1726638819
srbaude
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by srbaude »

Anyone updated to Oculus Runtime 0.7 yet?
My HMD has stopped working in 0.7, When I run the OVR Server manually (Stop the Service in Windows Services MMC and run from c:\Program Files\Oculus\Service I can see the service try to connect to the HMD but then drop the connection straight away. Could it be that Oculus are now blocking the very generic Serial number programmed into the firmware?
will1384
Cross Eyed!

Post by will1384 »

srbaude wrote:Anyone updated to Oculus Runtime 0.7 yet?
My HMD has stopped working in 0.7, When I run the OVR Server manually (Stop the Service in Windows Services MMC and run from c:\Program Files\Oculus\Service I can see the service try to connect to the HMD but then drop the connection straight away. Could it be that Oculus are now blocking the very generic Serial number programmed into the firmware?
From everything I have been hearing and seeing the DK1 is no longer supported, maybe someday they will fix the runtime to work with the DK1, it is nice however that most of the DK1 demos will work without the runtime or SDK, and the DK1 even works with Windows 10 without having to manually install drivers.
will1384
Cross Eyed!

Post by will1384 »

will1384 wrote:
srbaude wrote:Anyone updated to Oculus Runtime 0.7 yet?
From everything I have been hearing and seeing the DK1 is no longer supported, maybe someday they will fix the runtime to work with the DK1, it is nice however that most of the DK1 demos will work without the runtime or SDK, and the DK1 even works with Windows 10 without having to manually install drivers.
I tried the "Oculus Runtime for Windows V0.8.0.0-beta" on Windows 10 and the DK1 does seem to be working for some of the new-er games, I also tried "Oculus Runtime for Windows 0.6.0.1-beta" on Windows 10, and it just kept crashing.

Titans of Space, SightLine: The Chair, work as do a few others, but but "AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA!!! for the Awesome" does not work, and Steam VR seems to start but wants to set up the hand controllers that I don't have.

It seems like Windows 10, "Oculus Runtime for Windows V0.8.0.0-beta", and maybe new-er Nvidia drivers have fixed most of the problems.
pascal
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by pascal »

Hello

Let us can be used the screen of the tablet galaxy tab2 7 ( 7 inches) for this assembly

Thank you
pascal
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by pascal »

Hello

Can this model of screen work?

http://www.ebay.fr/itm/7inch-1280x800-6 ... SwqYBWof4A
will1384
Cross Eyed!

Post by will1384 »

I noticed some of my links are dead, so here are the files for the DIY DK1 Rift.

Here is the EDID file

https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share ... _link_copy

And here is the open source tracker firmware file

https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share ... _link_copy
Kjolby
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Kjolby »

Will1384, major kudos!

Recently got mine working:
- Screen is 1280*800 N070ICG, ~$60
- Generic Colorcross VR headset (Google cardboard-style lenses seem fine), ~$12
- Rubber baby buggy bumper foam padding, superglued to mask for comfort (generic headset hurt), ~$4
- EDID spoofer failed, so ordered a headless dongle online (blew at least 10 hours trying all methods here, but realized after getting the dongle that I had the latest SDK installed...ops... worth the knowledge acquisition), ~$15
- Tracker, with excellent instructions on the drotek.fr MPU6000 & STM32F103C8T6 (no HMC, haven't noticed drift)~$25
- Extension cables/ties

Only Oculus 0.4.4 runtime is working, which is limiting. Vireio Perception and SteamVR are not working for mine with runtime 0.4.4 (Windows 10, NVIDIA GeForceGTX 760). Mysteriously in Win 10, after installing the newer SDKs, the EDID is not getting detected at all. The graphics card won't even recognize a monitor is plugged in, even with a fresh restart with only the EDID plugged in. After uninstalling Oculus and restarting, the EDID is immediately detected. This happened with Oculus runtime versions 0.7, 0.8, and 1.3, but 0.4.4 works perfectly... My drivers are up to date, and I noticed from the forum here that it had been not working, but now was working again for them.

Maybe I missed a step in getting newer Oculus runtimes working in Win10 and seeing the EDID?

Vireio Perception is impressive stuff. Unfortunately, I could not get 3.0.1 working direct to rift, or detecting tracking. However, it was working for me in side by side crosseyed. Outside the mask, anaglyph worked. Key note for anyone else struggling with visual studio mscvp100.dll errors, installing all three of these resolved it:
- Visual C++ 2010 x64
- Visual C++ 2010 x86
- Visual C++ 2012 x86

This is amazing even without SteamVR/Vireio, and finally have experienced the :woot .
Fantastic work on the forum and experimenting!

---------------------
Demos/games with which I've had success, for anyone else with similar build.

These two games worked natively with the 0.4.4 runtime, though sometimes had to unplug/plug the tracker:
- Alien Isolation
- Slender The Arrival

Demos, mostly the pre-0.6 Oculus demos:
- A Chair in a Room
- Affected v1.3
- Airdrift 0.3.1
- Alone
- Battle of Endor x64
- Celestial Song
- Chicken Walk
- Chilling Space
- Clutch VR
- Deep Down in Space
- Deep Echo
- I expect you to die
- Kite & Lightning
- Ocean Rift
- Project Jump Scare
- Rift Coaster HD
- Spindrift v1.4 (favorite)
- Surge
- TNG Engineering
- Voc Machinae (awesome)
srbaude
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by srbaude »

Hi everyone, I've been away for a bit pursuing other projects but decided to pick up my DIY DK1 project again.
So I have noticed that since CV1 was released, a lot of changes have been made to the oculus runtimes. Which leaves our DIY DK1 in an even worse state that the Oculus DK1 itself.
So after a bit of digging around reddit, it appears that people are having some success using the OSVR runtimes to breathe at least a little more life into the DK1.

So I thought to myself "Why not, if its working for other peoples Oculus DK1s, then why not my DIY DK1?"

My DK1 works perfect with runtime 0.6.0.1 in windows 10 when I run the service in Windows 8 compatibility mode. SO I downloading the OSVR runtime, and the oculus Rif 0.6.0.1 plugin. Setup a OSVR script to point to my DIY DK1.

And....

I cant for the life of me get to work. I can seen in the verbose output that something is detected (is it my DK1???) but it doesn't specifically say.

Are there any OSVR gurus here that have successfully got their DK1s (or DIY DK1s) working with OSVR???

Also i'm sorry if I have hijacked this thread, a few of my other notes were in this thread so I decided to continue here.
VladimirRUS
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by VladimirRUS »

will1384 wrote:I made some diagrams for the three boards I found at eBay:

STM32F103C8T6 Minimum System Development Board

IMU 6DOF - MPU6000 Invensense sensor board - make sure its a real MPU-6000 and not a MPU-6050

GY-282 HMC5983

This is the STM32F103C8T6 Minimum System Development Board and GY-282 HMC5983 connected, I am not sure about the HMC5983's PIN-9, the real Rift tracker has the HMC5983's PIN-9 connected to the STM32F103C8T6's PB9, but the GY-282 HMC5983 board has the HMC5983's PIN-9 connected to ground, I may have to cut a trace on the GY-282 HMC5983 to disconnect the HMC5983's PIN-9 from GND, and then run a wire from the HMC5983's PIN-9 to the STM32F103C8T6's PB9.

This is the STM32F103C8T6 Minimum System Development Board and the IMU 6DOF - MPU6000 Invensense sensor board connected.

Hi dear friend!

Please help me so much! I try to make your vr headset but i have board MPU 6500 (you use MPU 6000). I think MPU 6500 it same, but i don't know how need to connect MPU 6500 to the STM32F103C8T6 because i not engeneer, but I know how to solder board.
You can see:
I have STM32F103C8T6 and HMC5983 and MPU 6500 ( http://ru.aliexpress.com/item/6DOF-MPU- ... -eub6yrrBy )
I try to solder board. Pins on MPU 6500 not same pins on MPU 6000. But i try solder board anyway. I try associate pins MPU 6000 and MPU 6500 and that's what I got:
GND = GND
3.3V = VCC
SCLK = ECL
SDI = EDA
SDO = ADO
CS = NCS
INT = INT

I think its stupid, but i not engeneer( I think i need instructions how solder MPU 6500 to pins on STM32F103C8T6.
I try connect my tracker to PC and SDK see Oculus but tracking not worked.

Meybe somebody help me?
srbaude
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by srbaude »

VladimirRUS - Not sure a MPU6500 will work as the firmware will be trying to communicate with the MPU6000 specifically

Also an update on getting my DIYRift working with OSVR.

Firstly my computer setup is as follows
Windows 10 x64
Nvidia GTX 660 Ti (Old card and I need more grunt, but good enough for DIY projects such as this)

I had to completely uninstall all traces of the Oculus Runtime then install Runtime 0.5.0.1
This seems to work perfectly with Windows 10, the service runs and the config program detects my Rift, the calibration works and the demo scene works fine
I installed the latest Windows OSVR runtime and downloaded the latest Oculus Plugin for Runtime 0.5.0.1 and extracted it into the OSVR folder

My OSVR-server config file looks like this
{
"display": "displays/Oculus_Rift_DK1.json",
"renderManagerConfig": "sample-configs/renderManager.extended.landscape.json"
}

The OSVR-server now detects my DIY Rift with one small caveat.

The starting Head position is at y=0, Which means it looks like my head is stuck in the ground.
I have tried a few things to work around the issue but cannot get it to work. Does anyone have any suggestions?
windjackal
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by windjackal »

I'd recommend coming to ask for help in the OSVR Gitter https://gitter.im/OSVR/OSVR-General. Is the Head Position issue with all OSVR content or only with SteamVR? The steamVR issue is a known issue but if it's with all OSVR content then it's something unique to you, so I'd come ask.
will1384
Cross Eyed!

Post by will1384 »

I have had a lot of stuff to distract me lately, but I noticed a post on reddit about the DK1, OSVR, and SteamVR, have a look over here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/OSVR/comments/ ... inect_and/

and

https://github.com/simlrh/OSVR-OpenHMD

I was able to get my homemade DK1 and a XG PCVR DK1/DK2 clone working with OSVR and SteamVR, its not very easy to set up and get working, but it does work.

My biggest problems getting this to work were seeming caused by my video card drivers, I think, the DK1 always seems to get monitor (1) and my LCD is always set to monitor (2) and this happens no matter what video port they are plugged into, and I don't have any Rift drivers installed, you need landscape mode for SteamVR so I needed my LCD to the left and DK1 to the right, I had to into the "Nvidia control panel" and go to "Setup multiple displays" and and change it so my LCD display is the on the left and the DK1 is on the right, you just drag the monitor box with your mouse to put it in the correct order, and I also needed the LCD to be the primary display, like this:

the other problem is that at with the LCD and DK1 set to 1920x1080 everything works, but if I set the DK1 to its native resolution SteamVR fails, and I am not sure why.

Other things to note:

If you make changes to the .JSON files you need to close and restart the OSVR server.

Download something like Notepad++ to edit the the .JSON files.

OSVR plug-ins go into the "osvr-plugins-0" directory like this "C:\Program Files\OSVR\Runtime\bin\osvr-plugins-0".

The OSVR server needs to be running before SteamVR.

I just wanted to share what I learned.

BTW when you get it working and are able to run the SteamVR standing room setup, put the DK1 on a shelf about standing head level, and measure up from the floor to the DK1 to get the number that standing room setup needs, this seems to help keep you from being to low to the ground inside the games.

Return to “Do it Yourself!”