Fish bowl head.

Tutorials on how to create your own rigs, pics, movies, and everything that has to do with S-3D at home!
Okta
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Fish bowl head.

Post by Okta »

We have all seen this picture around and I borrowed it from the 180 degree thread so you can laugh at it again.............................but wait!

A little thought and this could be an awesome (if not forever alone) BMD (Body Mounted Display...i just invented that term patent pending...).

Just like the guy that mounted the 22inch lcd to his head/chest a few years back that was floating around the net i cant find any pics atm.

Imagine a fish bowl contraption like above but far less bulky mounted to a brace on your chest and back but NOT touching your head so you can look around freely inside at the 180 degree projected view from the laser pico at the top or bottom. Image it is extremely light so no fatigue at all and you can stand and turn/move easy. Now imagine it has a wifi air mouse tracker or similar mounted in the chest framework, not on your head.

You could look around in the massive view freely (wearing some cheap reading glasses to allow for the close view distance to the bowl) and if you turn your body the tracker moves the scene! Awesome! Add a hand held gun tracker with controls....

Will i build it? Maybe not. Does it have potential to be awesome and reasonably cheap/easy awesome VR? I think so.
"I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition."
Notch on the FaceDisgrace buyout.
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Re: Fish bowl head.

Post by brantlew »

Interesting concept. Sort of a personal mobile CAVE system.

I don't think you could use just one set of projectors (on bottom or top). You would probably need at least 8 (a ring of 4 on top and a ring of 4 on bottom). If you tried to illuminate the bottom of the sphere with the bottom projectors then there might be some severe warping as the sphere curved tangentially to the projection angle (along the bottom of the sphere). You would have much less warping if you projected the top half of the sphere with the bottom projectors - however then you would have another big problem. Your head would cause shadows. It would be tricky to overcome these limitations but probably not impossible. But I am guessing that as a result you would have some type of artifacts at the top of the sphere.

PS. On second thought. There is probably no reason to have a back projector so you could probably just use 3+3 projectors. Top-to-bottom issues still the same.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Whats wrong with just using the design from the picture? Maybe mounted on a boom or something if weight was an issue.
Okta
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by Okta »

cybereality wrote:Whats wrong with just using the design from the picture? Maybe mounted on a boom or something if weight was an issue.
I dont know what the design is on that thing but it looks huge/heavy and hanging off that chicks neck at an odd angle. Also a boom would defeat the purpose and make it fixed. Having it body mounted would be stable and allow you to turn on the spot while standing to use the tracker. As Brantlew said "Sort of a personal mobile CAVE system."
"I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition."
Notch on the FaceDisgrace buyout.
VRgamesterz
Cross Eyed!

Post by VRgamesterz »

Way to think out side of the box Okta!

This is the path I've taken, not a fish bowl setup but something close to where there is no weight on the head at all. But the other road if I decide to take will use a helmet and there will be some weight ofcourse but not much I hope.

I think we all know that getting WIDE FOV is not gonna come in a HMD that we can afford or these Glasses that are coming out! The ones that are getting the Huge FOV are using many panels and are I think cost just about as much as I make in a year! Besides what Palmer has put together whixh is awesome to say the least but this is where we are at, 1995 gave us 45 deg with at the time ok graph res for doom or duke! For $1500 VFX-1, now 2012 we have still 45 deg and awesome graph res and at $700 avg. How many years did it take to get better Res? WOW really! No matter how close these things are up against our eyes there will be NO immersion feeling! What is it? Atleast 70 deg I read to feel immersive. We all want over 100 deg, yeah sure I'll be dead when that happens or Im to old and fat to fit into the VR body suit LMAO!

So anyways I did try the differant type of lens and couldn't get anything really good without eyestrain overtime so I didn't even try to go any further in that step. So for right now Im working on using pico laser PJ's, using 2 but might do 3 if I feel that 2 is not enough. My 2nd one will be here tomorrow and will get to fully put these CrazY Idea's together. I will start another thread once I have things built but Okta have good Idea's, but a fish bowl will only work if you have the skills of a EXORCIST going on where u can spin your head around!

Okta get off ur BUTT and try to build something! Like they say! You want something done then you have to do it yourself, U2 Cyber!!

Oh and I know it might be disapointing but im not trying for 3d but for a good Immersive feel! Im sure when the new Microvison comes out with 3d capabilities I will be going down that road for sure.

Ltr all

SOOOOOOOOOOON!
Hooves
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Hooves »

VRgamesterz wrote:Way to think out side of the box Okta!

This is the path I've taken, not a fish bowl setup but something close to where there is no weight on the head at all. But the other road if I decide to take will use a helmet and there will be some weight ofcourse but not much I hope.

I think we all know that getting WIDE FOV is not gonna come in a HMD that we can afford or these Glasses that are coming out! The ones that are getting the Huge FOV are using many panels and are I think cost just about as much as I make in a year! Besides what Palmer has put together whixh is awesome to say the least but this is where we are at, 1995 gave us 45 deg with at the time ok graph res for doom or duke! For $1500 VFX-1, now 2012 we have still 45 deg and awesome graph res and at $700 avg. How many years did it take to get better Res? WOW really! No matter how close these things are up against our eyes there will be NO immersion feeling! What is it? Atleast 70 deg I read to feel immersive. We all want over 100 deg, yeah sure I'll be dead when that happens or Im to old and fat to fit into the VR body suit LMAO!

So anyways I did try the differant type of lens and couldn't get anything really good without eyestrain overtime so I didn't even try to go any further in that step. So for right now Im working on using pico laser PJ's, using 2 but might do 3 if I feel that 2 is not enough. My 2nd one will be here tomorrow and will get to fully put these CrazY Idea's together. I will start another thread once I have things built but Okta have good Idea's, but a fish bowl will only work if you have the skills of a EXORCIST going on where u can spin your head around!

Okta get off ur BUTT and try to build something! Like they say! You want something done then you have to do it yourself, U2 Cyber!!

Oh and I know it might be disapointing but im not trying for 3d but for a good Immersive feel! Im sure when the new Microvison comes out with 3d capabilities I will be going down that road for sure.

Ltr all

SOOOOOOOOOOON!

man Great minds think alike. Im also going to PICO projector route, using jsut one at this time due to the budget. I've been toying with the idea of using a Bicycle helmet coupled with a saftey mask (the shield kind) cut in half and painted black. The pico would mount in the front of the helmet in the foam. MY problem is finding a high enough res, with a small enough pico. jsut so it all fits and looks good. I dont mind the price getting up to that of other HMD's as long as my FOV is say Double.

At this point though all my ideas are just that and I haven't made any purchases past the parts I have now (PS move, eii mote, track iR, ms gun, VR 920) but I think that might change this week, Ill post WIP's

Return to “Do it Yourself!”