Another DIY HMD, cheap build, 7" 1024x600, 5X Loupe lenses.

Tutorials on how to create your own rigs, pics, movies, and everything that has to do with S-3D at home!
will1384
Cross Eyed!

Re: Another DIY HMD, cheap build, 7" 1024x600, 5X Loupe lens

Post by will1384 »

I only have a few games that work with OSVR/Vibe in Steam, one of them is Windlands and it seems to work without problem, I also got the VR media player Whirligig running, and the SteamVR demos and introductions also work.

I have noticed that I have to follow a set procedure before the SteamVR programs work, here is what I do:

(1) Start OSVR Server
(2) Start Steam
(3) Start SteamVR, it will likely ask "SteamVR is disabled because it crashed the last time it ran, Would you like to try again?" click on "YES"
(4) Start the VR program
will1384
Cross Eyed!

Re: Another DIY HMD, cheap build, 7" 1024x600, 5X Loupe lens

Post by will1384 »

I was able to get a used DK2 cheap from a software developer, and wanted to share some thoughts about the DIY DK1 clone, the I AM Cardboard XG PCVR, and the Oculus Rift DK2.

The screen door affect is the same on all three devices.

The resolution is different, the DIY DK1 is 720P and the PCVR and DK2 are 1080p.

The lenses on the PCVR are not very good, but the 5X Loupe lens on my DIY DK1 are every bit as good as the DK2 lenses.

The 5X Loupe lens work wonders for the PCVR, but that requires modifications to the PCVR.

The PCVR and DK2 both seem to be using phone screens, screen quality seems about the same on both devices.

Build quality / design is better on the DK2, but the PCVR did copy the looks of the DK2, and added some nice touches like replaceable foam and easy screen access but they made a poor design choice with cable management and now I am going to have to fix a broken HDMI port on the PCVR because there is no protection from the cable getting pulled, on the DK2 the cable ends are covered / held in place, and both cables have strain relief, also the EDID of the PCVR should have been set to the DK1's EDID but instead they tried using a DK2 prototype EDID making it harder to use the device with later Oculus SDKs.

Tracking is better on the PCVR than on DIY DK1, but from what I can tell the PCVR uses a clone of the DK1 tracker so thats got me wondering what the difference is, the DK2 tracking is the best I have tried as long as you stay in the tracking camera's view.

Using the PCVR with my EDID spoofer, rotating the PCVR's phone screen with the video card drivers, and modifying the PCVR with the 5X Loupe lens makes for an amazing DK1 clone.

I have retired the DK1 clone in favor of the DK2 and modified PCVR, and will likely be using both of them with SteamVR and OSVR.

Return to “Do it Yourself!”