DIY VR Headset

Tutorials on how to create your own rigs, pics, movies, and everything that has to do with S-3D at home!
Sipheren
One Eyed Hopeful

DIY VR Headset

Post by Sipheren »

So I thought I would have a go at making my own VR Headset. I bought a Dive to use with my mobile and I really liked it but wanted more, so I have been converting it into a better device.

Parts so far:

1x Durovis Dive
1x HV056WX1-100 1280x800 LCD
1x Controller Board A.VST29.01B
2x 35mm Lenses
2x 50mm Lenses
(35mm have been the better ones)
3D printed parts.
1x VorpX

So this is the 3D model I made to fit over the Dive and also hold the control board:
Dive Mod - PlayU.jpg
I have been getting the parts printed slowly and putting it together, so far I have this:
2014-08-23 22.26.33.jpg
2014-08-23 22.27.04.jpg
2014-08-23 22.27.25.jpg
Once I have the parts all printed and put together I have to setup the head tracking, I am going to use:

1x 9DOF IMU Sensor ITG3200/ITG320​5 ADXL345 HMC5883L Module
1x Arduino Compatible nano V3.0 Mega328

I should be able to get this to send tracking data to my computer to use for head tracking in games (hopefully, still working this part out).

I have used it for pCARS, Outlast and Boarderlands 2 so far and it works really well, just really needs the head tracking. I am also thinking of making an EDID spoofer to enable Rift content in certain games, but not sure if I really need it or not.

I will update with more as I progress.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rec0iL
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: DIY VR Headset

Post by Rec0iL »

Hi very intresting i'm kinda at the same point as you
right now i have my IMU sending already data to FreePIE with an arduino uno v2 but i'm getting errorous readings although the outputs match those with the razorIMU plugin.
Ill post them in my thread today when I've got some sleep last days were horrible as i had nightshifts so i couldn't play around..
Maybe we'll be able to solve it together as 2 brains are smarter than just 1 :D
PS: I don't have my screen yet unlike you :) im using my phone for testing reasons wich also works pretty good as the pixel density is incredible :D
but i'm gonna try and use a 7" screen to get a wider FOV and i'm gonna let my design 3D print when i'll have all the parts measured out and hooked up and when i'll figure out where all the inputs will be.
But nice results you have there
i guess you are using the 5.6 inch screen for dimension reasons to get it inside the durovis?
Another thing I wanted to ask how is VorpX effecting your framerate? I had trouble setting it up so i went to VireioPerception in combination with FreePIE it was pretty easy to use the mobile phone's IMU.
So basically it's no problem to get the IMU running as input but those readings really make me crazy as they make no sense in FreePie but are reasonable when i look at them even without any visualization i can see they are ok... drives me nuts xD
I don't know what VorpX offers as options for such inputs.
Sipheren
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Sipheren »

Rec0iL wrote:Hi very intresting i'm kinda at the same point as you
right now i have my IMU sending already data to FreePIE with an arduino uno v2 but i'm getting errorous readings although the outputs match those with the razorIMU plugin.
Ill post them in my thread today when I've got some sleep last days were horrible as i had nightshifts so i couldn't play around..
Maybe we'll be able to solve it together as 2 brains are smarter than just 1 :D
I set up a STM32F3DISCOVERY board using this: https://github.com/yetifrisstlama/Focul ... 3DISCOVERY. It works perfect for Oculus games but I need to build a working EDID spoofer (which is proving a little hard), I am using information from will1384 post here: http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=19607.

I also received my Arduino Nano board and 9DOF IMU Sensor yesterday so I want to set that up to use as an additional headtracker (for non headtracking games).
Rec0iL wrote:PS: I don't have my screen yet unlike you :) im using my phone for testing reasons wich also works pretty good as the pixel density is incredible :D
but i'm gonna try and use a 7" screen to get a wider FOV and i'm gonna let my design 3D print when i'll have all the parts measured out and hooked up and when i'll figure out where all the inputs will be.
But nice results you have there
i guess you are using the 5.6 inch screen for dimension reasons to get it inside the durovis?
Yeah, I choose the 5.6" as it fits with the Dive and it's really as big as you need (the oculus has gone smaller with it's screen in DK2). The main thing I need is a screen with higher res and lower latency. I want to try getting a mobile display working at some point. the FOV is actually pretty good, I am using 35mm lenses which go very nice with the screen.
Rec0iL wrote:Another thing I wanted to ask how is VorpX effecting your framerate? I had trouble setting it up so i went to VireioPerception in combination with FreePIE it was pretty easy to use the mobile phone's IMU.
So basically it's no problem to get the IMU running as input but those readings really make me crazy as they make no sense in FreePie but are reasonable when i look at them even without any visualization i can see they are ok... drives me nuts xD
I don't know what VorpX offers as options for such inputs.
VorpX has been really good for me, no frame rate issues at all. When I was using my mobile and streaming there was a lot of lag no matter which program I used (Vireio, VorpX or TriDEF). I also found that using the phones sensors and sending them to FreePIE was really easy and worked well, I would recommend that if you are using a phone.

I have some new images of my progress, I found that 3D printing isn't always as easy as it seems, the printer I used didn't like some of the shapes, but it works :)
2014-09-07 12.11.39.jpg
2014-09-08 21.15.33.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rec0iL
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Rec0iL »

Wow these picture look awesome! I'm very curious about the EDID spoofer keep us informed... meanwhile i uploaded the picture on ym thread... Maybe someone will have an idea why i'm getting these crappy readings...
For the 3D printing part.. as they will get laser sintered there shouldnt be any problems with forms. but thanks for the hint...
ttt888
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by ttt888 »

Did u use a longer LVDS cable?
What is your experience with the controller board in a sepparate box, instead of putting it on the glasses?
Sipheren
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Sipheren »

ttt888 wrote:Did u use a longer LVDS cable?
What is your experience with the controller board in a sepparate box, instead of putting it on the glasses?
Yeah, having the control board on the HMD was annoying so I bought some ribbon cable and soldered it to the LVDS cable to extend it, was a lot of very small solders.

The result was worth it though, just 2 cords go to the display (video and tracking).

The end result of this has been very cool and a great taste for what can be done, the resolution is the single biggest issue for me, when playing LFS you can't really make out the track ahead which makes it hard to drive. I really want a 4K screen to put in there.

I didn't end up bothering with the EDID spoofer, it doesn't seem to work with the new SDK anyway and it's easier just using FreePIE to do what is needed.
ttt888
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by ttt888 »

Sipheren wrote:
Yeah, having the control board on the HMD was annoying so I bought some ribbon cable and soldered it to the LVDS cable to extend it, was a lot of very small solders.

The result was worth it though, just 2 cords go to the display (video and tracking).

The end result of this has been very cool and a great taste for what can be done, the resolution is the single biggest issue for me, when playing LFS you can't really make out the track ahead which makes it hard to drive. I really want a 4K screen to put in there.

I didn't end up bothering with the EDID spoofer, it doesn't seem to work with the new SDK anyway and it's easier just using FreePIE to do what is needed.
So an 5.6 inch 1280x800 isnt good enough in your opinion?
Sipheren
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Sipheren »

ttt888 wrote:
Sipheren wrote:

No, definitely not, I don't think 1080p will be either. I imagine Oculus will be pushing for something higher why they drop the retail version.

On my LCD now, everything in the distance is a bunch of pixels with no detail so it's hard to fully see what is coming up. It's not so bad in FPS shooter type games, but racing games just don't work.

I'll try to take a picture to show what I mean tonight.
ttt888
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by ttt888 »

No, definitely not, I don't think 1080p will be either. I imagine Oculus will be pushing for something higher why they drop the retail version.

On my LCD now, everything in the distance is a bunch of pixels with no detail so it's hard to fully see what is coming up. It's not so bad in FPS shooter type games, but racing games just don't work.

I'll try to take a picture to show what I mean tonight.
Okay thanks...
Yeah well the best thing is making software for our phones.
I got a Samsung Note 3 which got a good resolution, now with these day software its very lagy.
Or troughout the usb cable like an external monitor.

Edit:
Check this out
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ultrathin-Full- ... 4adc6d4a65
I sent them a mail, informing if this is real 1080p and not just scaling. And if it will fit on a controllerboard like the LTD056EV7F.
Anyone knows this screen? It seems intresting also the little board with somekind of connector.
ttt888
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by ttt888 »

Sipheren wrote: No, definitely not, I don't think 1080p will be either. I imagine Oculus will be pushing for something higher why they drop the retail version.
This display;
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ultrathin-Full- ... RK:MESE:IT
Is a real 5.9, 1080x1920 pixel monitor with, 14leds in line, 8000cm/d2 backlite brig and 250cm/d2 LCM brig and contrast 700-1000.
It has an MIPI connection, but i can get an controllerboard from MIPI 2 HDMI which works.

However this MIPI screen has an 35 MS response time, but contrast and brightness seems to be better then the monitors below...;

The 5.6 inch 1280 x 800 display (HV056WX1-100), has a 30 MS response time
The 7 inch 1280 x 800 display (N070ICG LD1) has an 16 MS response time.

The MIPI seems to be the most expensive, then the 5.6 and then the 7.

Now my question is how about those response time, any experience???
It seems to me that 35 MS maybe is too much for a display for playing a FPS like Call of duty...or will i not even notice?

Return to “Do it Yourself!”