The truth about videogame addiction

Talk about everything off topic (EXCEPT POLITICS). Keep it fun!
metalqueen
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by metalqueen »

What are your thoughts on this article?
Just how harmless are our gaming habits?
By Jim Rossignol

Have you ever succumbed to temptation and had "just one more go?" Do you find yourself playing games and then later realising you had other things you should have been doing? Like sleeping, to take an example entirely at random…

Almost all gamers will have tasted that peculiar guilty feeling of having played one hour or level too many at some point. The question is: when does it become a problem?

Is it the point when you've not done the dishes for a week? When you've skipped the pub to stay in front of your screen? Or when you die? And there have been deaths.

Last year, a Chinese gamer reportedly died of heart failure after fifteen days of heavy gaming in a cybercafe, while a Starcraft player in Korea apparently died after a non-stop fifty hour session. These individuals are part of a growing number of people who have managed to play themselves to death. And unfortunately, deaths mean sensationalism.

Read the whole story here: http://www.techradar.com/news/gaming/th ... ion-646518" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
- Non-profit, non-partisan.
- Features user contributed education sessions, blogs, and content.
- Safe to interact, registration requires formal non-disclosure agreement. Membership list is equally confidential.
- Open to all except press. People can join as individuals or companies.
- People say the industry needs to get together and learn from one another. This is our chance.
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Re: The truth about videogame addiction

Post by yuriythebest »

I've just read the entire article and it's actually quite informed and balanced and ripps on the "regular media" that is basically alarmist as is like "gaming iz drugz dangerous meh meh!"

But yeah, at one point I was a lineage2 addict- indeed this was back when I had dial up so I'd go with my friends to a gaming cafe- it was a nice social experience. All I thought about was lineage2. However, at one point I was going home all tired and was like- no, I'm gonna give myself this gift- I'm gonna quit. And I did. cold turkey. They were quite surprised and indeed found it most peculiar, but my final step was giving one of them the account details for my character so he could get all his loot. I'm so happy I quit- I hear most of them are now conscripted since they couldn't get into university.
A Korean Starcraft player reportedly died after playing for 50 hours without a break
cool If I had starcraft 2 I'd play a lot as well.
Oculus Rift / 3d Sucks - 2D FTW!!!
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

Agree as for above speaker. Once you reach a point where you realize you put too much time and effort into gaming and have to alter your habits a tad. Some might realize this when it's "too late": things in life is starting to go wrong (social life, graduation, family etc) because of it.
On the other hand there's no reason going witch-hunting gaming since plenty of more things in life works just in a similar way. It's up to each and their own to find their balance and how to live.

God, those times staying up nonstop for 3 days playing supermariobros and zelda..... :mrgreen:
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
Rosomack
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Rosomack »

I agree that you have to set a borderline somewhere, otherwise you'll soon be on the road to ruin...

I used to play a few hours a day every day, but when I started studying all this changed. I play quite rarely now and to me it's for the good.

But the problem is, I want to play, but most of the games aren't as engaging as I want them to be. Usually there are lots of games lying around unfinished on my PC. A sad view to behold. :)
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Gaming addiction can be a problem, just like any other type of media addiction (like TV) but I wouldn't put it on the level of substance abuse. I was actually a game addict at one time on Counter-Strike. I used to start playing when I got home, take a break to eat, and then play into the wee hours of the night. A few times I actually pulled all-nighters and called out of work sick just to play (it was bad I know). Finally I just got sick of it and stopped playing. I still play different games but only for maybe one hour a night. Its too much when it starts to take over your life.
Freke1
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Freke1 »

Jane McGonigal: Gaming can make a better world:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dE1DuBesGYM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “General Discussion”