Help build a VR masterpiece

Talk about everything off topic (EXCEPT POLITICS). Keep it fun!
VRVenture
One Eyed Hopeful

Help build a VR masterpiece

Post by VRVenture »

I am new to the forum, in fact this is the first time I've ever posted on a forum, but I have been reading MTBS on and off for about a year now.

I am part of a virtual reality software startup and some of the technical advice we are getting is suspect. Would it be appropriate to ask this group for a little help?

One question for instance is:

If you were putting together a team of less than 15 developers to build a virtual reality sandbox universe using a third party creation engine with a beta delivery of about a year how would you describe the perfect team?

If this kind of thing is not welcome, no worries, I will just go back to reading...
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Help build a VR masterpiece

Post by cybereality »

Hey, yes this is totally welcome here.

However, your question is very broad and I'm not sure how to answer. I mean, you will need several different roles to make a game like that. Certainly programmers and artists will be important. You could look for people with game development experience, or at least promising portfolios. A graphic designer will be important to create menus, UI, a logo, promotion materials, etc. A game designer that can balance to game, design gameplay mechanics, and make the experience fun. Probably a project manager to deal with organizing deadlines and managing the team. QA is also important if you want to have "bug-free" experience. There are other roles but they may or may not be necessary on a small team (as people can wear many hats).

Hope that helps.
VRVenture
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by VRVenture »

Thank you for the reply! As opposed to asking questions perhaps it would be better to ask for a critique, here is our situation...

The task:

Build a virtual reality space in which users can easily create their own environments by modifying templates and making their own objects, like a VR version of Wix. It appears as if (surprisingly) funding is not problem but (not surprisingly) is limited. We can reasonably afford a team of 15 to 20 developers full-time for a year at which time we need a mostly functioning beta. We are planning on using Unreal Engine 4.

The suggested team:

The 40+ member team that has been recommended is beyond our budget so we need to make cuts to the list. I hoped to get a little feedback from people in (or closely adjacent to the industry) about how best to slim this team down. Here's the team, please criticize with abandon.

MANAGEMENT:

Project Director
Production Director
Producers x2

ARTISTS:

Lead Artist
Concept Artist
Lead Interface Artist
Interface Artists x3
Lead Environment Artist
Environment Artists x2
Lead Character Artist
Character Artists x2
Lead Animator
Animation x2
Special Effects Artists x2
Audio Director
Audio x2

PROGRAMMERS:

Lead Programmer
Lead Interface Programmer
Interface Programmers x5
Lead Systems Programmer
Systems Programming x2
Lead Graphics Programmer
Graphics Programming x2
Lead AI Programmer
AI Programmers x2

Thank you cybereality and thank you to whomever else takes up the question, your help is appreciated!
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Well, all those roles are useful but not 100% needed on a small team. For example, do you really need 5 interface programmers?

You'll just have to try to find people that can take on multiple roles or are willing to put in extra work.
DrSnake
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by DrSnake »

Write a concept and post in on diverse forums, where you will also look for team members.
This will get you some attention of the right kind of people :)!
Developer of One Secret Fantasy
One of the best virtual reality dating games
www.onesecretfantasy.com

Return to “General Discussion”