VR: Letters from the Virtual Reality Frontier

Talk about everything off topic (EXCEPT POLITICS). Keep it fun!
vinbrandht
One Eyed Hopeful

VR: Letters from the Virtual Reality Frontier

Post by vinbrandht »

https://vimeo.com/122127172

Hello,

My name is Tanner Notch and I'm a content producer at Cascadium Pictures, an independent film and media collective.

I apologize for the promotional nature of this post, but as longtime fans of this site and the incredible community seen here, myself and our small team wanted to share a piece of something we've been working on that we hope you'll find as possibly exciting and compelling as we do. The attached link is our title sequence for VR | Letters from the Virtual Reality Frontier, an upcoming first-person experimental documentary series that takes an inside look at the dreams, memories, and waking-life thoughts of several pioneering indie VR devs, people we find personally inspiring who use the technology to create unique and personal experiences that exist outside the boundaries of traditional game development, in short many of the types of folks featured here on this site.

Letters has served as a longtime passion project for us, something we've developed independently and out of pocket, and have intended to be freely available for anyone interested upon its completion. The title sequence is a piece of something much bigger, but we wanted to share it here to gauge your interest in the project, as communities like these are who we've always intended VR to be for. If you have any thoughts or questions about the project feel free to reach out at:
makeithappen@cascadium.tv
Additionally, if you like what you see, please consider supporting the project by donating to the Tip Jar on the vimeo page, but if not that's completely fine too.

Lastly, The title sequence for VR 'Letters was recently selected as a finalist in SXSW's annual Excellence in Title Design competition taking place this weekend in Austin, Texas, and we'll be down there to show it off as it competes against works form major Hollywood fare from over the last year like Godzilla, Halt and Catch Fire, The Leftovers, Captain America: Winter Soldier, and Manhattan . Wish us luck!

Thanks so much for checking us out!

- Team C

cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: VR: Letters from the Virtual Reality Frontier

Post by cybereality »

Awesome trailer. I wish you the best of luck.
martinlandau
Certif-Eyed!

Post by martinlandau »

Hey Tanner, Make sure to read this thread: http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=120&t=4123

It is where Palmer Luckey first comes to MTBS3D and learns from me ideas that makes his rift, cybereality, up above, used to have a quote signature that said paraphrased, anything is obvious once it has been taught to you, or shown to you, that was to pay homage to me for showing Palmer about eric howlett wide fov HMDS, palmer himself as went out in public and said MTBS3D and finding that eric howlett info I gave him is what started his brainstorming and got the rift launched. That is so k3wl of palmer to credit niel, mtbs3d, and myself.

I have a lot of inside info on palmer luckey, that many people do not know, if you wish to talk about it. I also have inside info with alex howlett, son of eric howlett, leep vr. I have lots of inside info with nonny de la pena, and mark bolas, and dave nelson, all who worked with Palmer at USC labs, and may not have the same recall of history that comes from his lips. I also have tons of inside info with Manuel Novelo and ethan schur, who did the TDVisor that a lot of us here learned from. I am on their board. I also have tons of inside info with Kevin Williams, he did the disney Vr Aladdin ride, with last lecture professor randy pausch, he is chairman of my company, I also am an investor currently in wearality, that is david smiths company, he is the CTO of lockheed martin, he studied with alan kay, and ivan sutherland, famous godfather of VR with the sword of damocles. I also have met ari hollander and howard rose many times in seattle, with tom furness, who was a VR pioneer in flight sims. I may invest with them in their deepstream vr. ari and tom furness and myself went to a paul allen sci fi festival in seattle once. I have many posts at oculus, and reddit, one post where Palmer Luckey goes into great defense of one Joe Lonsdale, the co founder of palantir, who luckey calls a good friend (joe was an early investor in Oculus) but now joe has been kicked out of stanford for raping his student/intern, and there may be questions if other FRIENDS that hang around joe have this same moral issues? Palmer did say publicly joe was a good friend. Oh I have so many stories, from the inside, that will make your head spin if I reveal them to you. (hopefully you dont get motion sick - HAHA) When should we talk?

Lets see, inside stories with Valve, when I went to steam dev days there and got to see the Valve HMD experience, with stories of abrash and joe ludwig and dough church. Stories with tom forsythe *dont forget to add the E, he hates it when people forget to add the E, Inside stories with Justin moravetz, and proton pulse issues from the inside when he was still a sony employee. inside stories with Jamie Kelly and vrcade and trying to get government MWR centers to use his solution. Stories with Adam Sessler, the famous guy from g4tv, care of personal suggestions to meet him of Palmer Luckey.

I have inside stories with professor fiener of columbia, steve mann of MIT, but most importantly GEEKMASTER, the inside stories with geekmaster are going to be the best. I assure you.
vinbrandht wrote:https://vimeo.com/122127172

Hello,

My name is Tanner Notch and I'm a content producer at Cascadium Pictures, an independent film and media collective.

I apologize for the promotional nature of this post, but as longtime fans of this site and the incredible community seen here, myself and our small team wanted to share a piece of something we've been working on that we hope you'll find as possibly exciting and compelling as we do. The attached link is our title sequence for VR | Letters from the Virtual Reality Frontier, an upcoming first-person experimental documentary series that takes an inside look at the dreams, memories, and waking-life thoughts of several pioneering indie VR devs, people we find personally inspiring who use the technology to create unique and personal experiences that exist outside the boundaries of traditional game development, in short many of the types of folks featured here on this site.

Letters has served as a longtime passion project for us, something we've developed independently and out of pocket, and have intended to be freely available for anyone interested upon its completion. The title sequence is a piece of something much bigger, but we wanted to share it here to gauge your interest in the project, as communities like these are who we've always intended VR to be for. If you have any thoughts or questions about the project feel free to reach out at:
makeithappen@cascadium.tv
Additionally, if you like what you see, please consider supporting the project by donating to the Tip Jar on the vimeo page, but if not that's completely fine too.

Lastly, The title sequence for VR 'Letters was recently selected as a finalist in SXSW's annual Excellence in Title Design competition taking place this weekend in Austin, Texas, and we'll be down there to show it off as it competes against works form major Hollywood fare from over the last year like Godzilla, Halt and Catch Fire, The Leftovers, Captain America: Winter Soldier, and Manhattan . Wish us luck!

Thanks so much for checking us out!

- Team C

The futures so bright, I gotta wear shades!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDdI_sfNop8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by Neil »

Hi Martin,

There is a lot of anger in what you're sharing, and it's not my place to affirm or deny the claims. Please understand that MTBS is here to be an open community. Everyone should feel welcome. This place is run out of pocket because I think it's a worthwhile community, and I like that people can say what they want and share what they want without being burdened by stupid politics, cliques, and up-votes and down-votes that rate the value of what people think and share.

In the spirit of how this place came to be (you were around then!) and the positive nature of how this modern VR industry got started, please work through example and cut down on the anti-Palmer rhetoric. It's unnecessary, and your insights are otherwise valuable to this community. If you can see the humor, even at your most mashugana, your posts are always a good read! This was classic, by the way:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAtrkMGNp0o

I didn't know about it until you posted it, and I keep playing it over and over and over again!

Regards,
Neil
martinlandau
Certif-Eyed!

Post by martinlandau »

I know Niel, you told me paragraphs paragraphs billy, long ago when I was a reporter for you, very sick, heavily medicated, and just no time, but if you or anyone want to format properly, you have my blessing. If I dont ever get to talk to you again Niel, I want you to know, I always thought a lot of you, even when we had our differences, cause you a way better guy than tons of other people I have gotten to know in this industry.

Niel, I grew up on star trek, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xh_t2fFF3B0 and I know you like star trek too - here is a video on Morals and Decency in star trek. Geekmaster likes star trek as well, he often says jesus and spock are his 2 biggest heroes. There is no ANGER in my post at all, in fact I am pretty happy right now. Valve VIVE HTC is coming, with 15x15 tracking volumes. Even palmer said here in a thread with denny unger in 2011 that vr for the common man is best served in kevin williams type, out of home vr. So I know he is happy, like I am happy, that is coming and we can all go to a dave and busters or disney or chuck e cheese and brings palmers out of home dream to fruitition, finally!

As to any of my other points above, they are all factual. You see Niel, I have been quarantined, sickness from africa, my mom is in a coma with this sickness, and my docs have asked me to make a will. I am watering from my eyes, ears, nose, hurts to breath, spots on my lungs. So I have little time left maybe (its why I could not make the ITA meeting at GDC, I am so sorry, I really wanted to go, but too sick) So I just want the facts out there, before I die, to HELP you, and this community. This community often does not get remembered as much as I think it should, or credited it like it should. I claim, if not for this community, butterfly effects would be very different for some people, VERY different. That if they didnt have you and this community to get ideas from, feedback from, bounce ideas off of, etc, it would be a different world today.

The kind of help your community gave here Niel, would cost a FORTUNE at a division in some large company that had paid research and development (I know, I did stuff like that at IBM when I worked there) Some seem to think it is OK to harvest the great things you did here, for what was a PROMISED OPEN SOURCE HMD, it was marketed that way for years, using you and your community to build it. However at some point, the PROMISED OPEN SOURCE HMD was not delivered, and someone lied on that promise. I think you and Pam should not forget that.

Geekmaster is an aspergers sufferer, I think that makes his mind neurodiverse, and like spock said, IDIC, infinite diversity, infinite combinations. I feel very blessed to know geekmaster, and call him my friend. He adds diversity and brilliance in ways I have not found in many other humans, and he is just a fund cool guy to hang out with too. Some say geekmaster is a disabled person though, because his social cuing is not like that of other humans, so he is handicapped and should be treated with great respect and dignity for being neurodiverse. Perhaps, if so, there was a guy that made a PERSONAL PROMISE to geekmaster for a dk2, after receiving so MUCH HELP and friendship from geekmaster, for years, HERE at your forums. Fresnel ideas, that some claim were taken and incorporated into crescent bay, that CB does use fresnels, but this individual publicly slammed geekmasters ideas saying they were not practical. Now some say this was either showing this persons ignorance at the time - not understanding how important fresnels really were, or that they were publicly throwing cold water on hot fires of innovation on others, while privately trying to harvest and steal everything they could for themselves. I don't know. I do know if you are worth 600 million dollars, and you make a PERSONAL PROMISE to geekmaster for a 300 dollar device, this community has a right to know why geekmaster was done that way? Is it a question of not having the money with 600 million in the bank?

Now gabes of valve has just done a recent interview, and crate and barrel did an interview talking about an HTC vive engineer, all paraphrased, but saying some individual kinda backstabbed them, taking free help, free ideas, for certain assumed friendships and assurances, that were not delivered. http://www.head-fi.org/t/681806/you-are ... each-other Here was another community, where some individual tried to harvest for pennies on the dollar or FREE, audio help, like mtbs3d was harvested. A user named nikongod there said that was very exploitive, using free DIY or paying very little for what would cost a FORTUNE at the research and development division of a corporation. So it seems to paint a pattern of how one individual works, exploiting, promising, but then lying, etc.

Now you as a journalism major, and this individual was going for a journalism degree too at USC, certainly want facts and debate to happen, for the good of us all on this planet, and in this community. Because ben franklin said the PRICE OF FREEDOM, was eternal vigilance. Its not about anger, or love, its about facts, and how the community interprets those facts, so they can make choices for thier life, their family, their business, their babies, you would not wish to impede that I am sure. Some developers like justin moravetz of proton pulse are saying over at reddit, the backstabbing, lies, cheating, lawyers, loopholes, ndas, etc, have basically wrecked his spirit in some ways.

I had a developer approach me from asia, in 2014, who had been made some types of assurances from this USC journalism major. Bought into the hype of this person if you will. Well when they got hard facts that the CV1 was not going to be shipped xmas 2014, their investors pulled out, all thier work and time was now null, they said billy what are we going to do, we left stable careers on this persons hype, established jobs, we have babies to feed. I said dust off your resume, and go to the local welfare or church and see if they have food for your baby. You have a baby Niel, certainly you feel any info, facts, that can be debated, discussed, learned from, so that other people with BABIES, dont have thier babies starve, are given a voice. So we all learn, as a community, as we all learned from you and this forum years ago, learning that launched a whole new industry.

Some say, billy, we just need to pick and choose certain info that is shared though, well, because of politics, I think this DAMAGES anyone who wishes to really learn though, if they don't get the whole complete picture, various facts, various insights from everyone, then MISTAKES will be repeated, or "evil happens when good men stand by and do nothing" I do not want to see another developer tell me his baby is starving, because a hype master with no ethics sold him a lie. I dont want to see another disables aspergers person get made PROMISES, and give free help and friendship for years, only to be LIED too and crushed that his friend, hero, cant afford a 300 dollar device he PROMISED after getting 600 million dollars. Sitting here now, remembering my STAR TREK CODE, of what is JUSTICE like picard says up in that video, I cant think why you or ANYONE would not wish me to discuss and expose these issues, to protect people, companies, industries, and humanity in general.

However if you think these things do not need to be discussed, and shoveled under the carpet, I just want you to ask yourself, ask Pam, and look at your baby, maybe if you had more INSIGHT into certain individuals and who they really were based on facts that can be proven, real history, thier real moral code (not like the star trek one you and I seem to ascribe too), and the way cookies crumble, perhaps you and pam and your baby would be in a different position today. Why deny that to future customers, developers, friends, etc? I don't get it Niel. What would Spock do? What would Kirk do? http://rt.com/usa/169848-pentagon-faceb ... y-minerva/ Here is where some company actually tried to use human beings as guinea pigs, and not tell us, that goes against EVERYTHING i was taught by captain kirk and captain picard, and for the sake of your baby, we should not allow a world like that to get established, cause if WE dont say something about it, who will Niel?

http://europe-v-facebook.org/EN/en.html A company so awful, not just for mind control, but that the whole nation of europe is about to sue for EVIL according to them. Even Jaron Lanier, godfather of VR, had a talk at stanford, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCvf2DZzKX0 here it is, in the video he talks about who owns the future, about humans like you Niel getting CHEATED in this new digital economy, that you should get paid for your info, for being datamined, for your site being datamined, so that your wife and your baby have RESOURCES to thrive and feed on. Do you disagree with Jaron? In this video, he calls out one human being on this planet of 8 billion, and one company, that is not like the rest, and to be wary of. Since you probably dont have time to watch the whole video, I will tell you, it was Zuckerberg, of facebook, the guy that called us all "dumbfucks" for trusting him. I dont trust him though, but I guess some 600 million dollar man does trust him, because he told me he meets with zuck often, and they are good friends, like he was good friends with Joe Lonsdale of palantir. There is not a like of ANGER in these words, just the SPOCK SCIENTIST in me, wanting facts, insights, history, understanding, so we can ALL build a better future for us all, you, pam, your baby, geekmaster, cybereality, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9ZqXlHl65g Here is a well known science guy, 2veritas, about facebooks business model, saying facebook made 7 billion last year, with most of that money going into zucks pocket, and how this was TERRIBLE for developers and content creators, that they were getting cheated, and datamined for free. While youtube made 5 billion last year, with most of that money going back into the developers and content creators pockets so they could feed thier starving babies. You have a baby, which model do you choose for your family, which model would you choose for your community here? Again Niel, I am on my potential deathbed, my very life may be gone soon, I have nothing left to lose really. I want to see you and pam, and your baby, and other developers, and users, and gamers, and human beings, to see the facts I know, so they can make informed choices, so they can protect thier babies, don't you want that too? Thank you Niel.

Finally, geekmaster just sent me a link, about a movie called THE PENTAGON WARS, starring cary elwes (dread pirate roberts from Princess Bride) and kelsey grammar, you can watch it free on youtube. It is a true story about the bradley tank, how messed up it was, from so much corruption and graft. And in the movie, cary elwes walks into the barracks and talks about an m16 rifle, and how people died in vietnam, because GOOD testing was not done, and public demos of the gun that were done, hid internal problems. And this mattered, because these guys were doing PUBLIC demos of the bradley tank, but HIDING the internal issues, from everyone, from congress, so that when this thing was used in real world, it would KILL the soldiers depending on it, and how EVIL that was. This applies to Oculus, doing their public demos, geekmaster said they had VERY CONTROLLED public demo when he tested crescent bay, the lighting conditions, the game being played, etc, but I ask is this them just doing SILLYness like that movie THE PENTAGON WARS, giving a very managed and CONTROLLED public demo, that is not very ACCURATE or REALISTIC of a real HOME experience, so just like in the movie, they could sell hype, and make sales, but kinda LIE to the public of what they can REALLY expect at home? Denny Unger, of cloudhead games, he had many posts at reddit, talking about comfort mode, and about these MANAGED demos being shown by oculus to the public, but that it really may not be representative of TRUE real world HOME experiences, and I just wonder, isn't that kind of DECEPTIVE in a way maybe? Selling the public on hope and lies that wont be the real world at home experience maybe, and cause many people to get SICK at home, that did not get sick at the demo, with all the maybe deception? Well I don't know, it was geekmasters point. What is best for VR? Deception, Lies? Or truth, so we can fix real problems, instead of hiding them like that movie the pentagon wars talks about? Its food for thought anyways.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UWRzE_JeVU&t=5367 (the pentagon wars, watch the whole thing)
The futures so bright, I gotta wear shades!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDdI_sfNop8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
VRnow
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by VRnow »

great trailer indeed

Return to “General Discussion”