rumor mill

Find a good article? Got a news story to share? VR, AR, 3D...it's all good! No self promotion please.
lnrrgb
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

rumor mill

Post by lnrrgb »

"A Virtual Boy 2 is under development. And it's not going to be a standalone, but rather as a peripheral to the Wii. It will be released around the end of this year"

LINK
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: rumor mill

Post by cybereality »

Well I loved the Virtual Boy so I wish this were true, but sadly Nintendo has shown no interest in stereoscopic 3D (since the fall of the VB). If this did happen though it might make me buy a Wii again.
DmitryKo
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Re: rumor mill

Post by DmitryKo »

Some manufacturers do not generally pre-announce future products, to the point of denying their very existance up until the very day of the announcement. I don't know if their reasoning is based on the Osborne effect or similar urban mythology, or there are some valid concenrns such as the need to clear the inventory; I would like to know. Many others do announce products months or even years before the start of actual sales.

I doubt the current Wii can enable stereo 3D support with an add-on device or glasses pack. The Wii doesn't have any HDMI ports and so lacks the only practical way to connect a 3D TV, and glasses typically come with the 3D TV set these days or can be freely purchased. However there is no doubt Nintendo engineers are researching stereoscopic technology, just as I am sure that Microsoft is researching the next hopefully stereoscopic Xbox (Robbie Bach said they started researching the next gen even before they finished Xbox 360 specs) and Sony is researching the next PlayStation just as we speak. It's just we won't probably see any results until 2012-2013, if ever.

Return to “User Contributed Immersive Technology News & Announcements”