Channel 4 3D week

Find a good article? Got a news story to share? VR, AR, 3D...it's all good! No self promotion please.
Gae43
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Channel 4 3D week

Post by Gae43 »

Channel 4 3D weeks starts here in the UK on the 16th November...they are using the Colorcode 3D anaglyph method.
Here are some listings.....

http://www.channel4.com/tv-listings/daily/2009/11/16

16th Nov

21:00 The Queen in 3D

22:00 Derren Brown in 3D

I'm not a fan of the Queen or magic but I'll be suckered in to watch both in 3D :mrgreen:

http://www.channel4.com/tv-listings/daily/2009/11/17

17th Nov

21:00 The Queen in 3D

00:40 Flesh For Frankenstein 3D

Even though it's an "el weirdo" film, I'm looking forward to seeing the Udo Kier freakshow in 3D :mrgreen: I'm sure the transfer will be a much better quality than the 3D version thats around on the net at least.

No Listings for Wed or Thursday but it's the Queen in 3D again on Friday followed by Friday the 13th 3D (shame as I already have a good field sequential version of this one)

Gae43
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Channel 4 3D week

Post by cybereality »

Colorcode... yuck...
Gae43

Post by Gae43 »

Colorcode... yuck...
Very informative reply there Cybereality... :mrgreen:

Ok, I agree but I should put this into some context...this is the first time "Channel 4" (a National TV station here in the UK) has done a 3D week. Sure, it may be yucky ColorCode, but it's just further evidence of how 3D is getting into the mass consciousness and becoming more and more popular. I'll be recording all these 3D programmes regardless of the fact that they are in ColorCode.
This 3D may not look as good as some of the side by side HD 3D stuff we are used to watching but still, it's 3D for free and a National TV station is at least making the effort!!
There may also be a chance that some of this 3D material will be released in side by side format over at their You Tube page......e.g. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IY0RXVw1E68

Gae43
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

cool I just submitted my video hope I weren't too late
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTzLm1ge82g" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

if not it's still an awesome video :)
Oculus Rift / 3d Sucks - 2D FTW!!!
mickeyjaw
Cross Eyed!

Post by mickeyjaw »

So does anyone have any advice for de-anaglyphing colorcode? I guess i will have a try with DVD2StereoAVI. I am recording all of these shows as MPEG PS straight off the ASTRA 19E satellite with my PC so wish me luck!
Gae43

Post by Gae43 »

Code: Select all

So does anyone have any advice for de-anaglyphing colorcode? I guess i will have a try with DVD2StereoAVI. I am recording all of these shows as MPEG PS straight off the ASTRA 19E satellite with my PC so wish me luck!
If you hear of any method, let me know too.
I would like to convert all this 3D week to side by side or interlaced at least but I can't find a way of converting ColorCode. I think you can do it with 3D Combine but it only works on Vista....I only have XP. :roll:

De-anaglyphing standard anaglyph is so easy, even with just the 3D side. Open it up and save it "side by side" or "interlaced". OK, so the colours are still muted or you can save it in B&W but it's still better for viewing this way.....I don't get headaches with my shutters at least!! :shutter

Gae43
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

Congratulartions yuriythebest,

Your video has been selected to feature in the Channel 4 3D Week UGC montage to be featured on Channel 4.

We have one confirmed time slot for your content to feature on Channel 4 and we are awaiting to hear of any other times we are granted.

The 3D video montage will appear after Friday night's 3D movie, Friday the 13th Part III in 3D. When we are confirmed any other time slots we will alert you. In the meantime we want to thank you for your efforts in making Channel 4's 3D Week a success.

Thank you and regards,

3D Week on 4

if anyone is in the UK and has channel 4 can you record my video being featured? preferably on camera not dvr but if possible both
longerlife
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by longerlife »

Congratulations I shall be watching out for it tommorrow!!

:woot
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

longerlife wrote:Congratulations I shall be watching out for it tommorrow!!

:woot

if possible please record that segment with a camera or something
longerlife
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by longerlife »

I can record it with media center will that do ?

PS Please check out my colorcode 3D site that I have just finished with a 3d game at 3dgp.com
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

I can record it with media center will that do ?
definitely please do that!
they are supposed to show like a 3d video montage thing of the youtube videos
PS Please check out my colorcode 3D site that I have just finished with a 3d game at 3dgp.com
nice site played the game- but why are the glasses in the beginning anaglyph even though the site is colorcode- this might confuse newcomers.
longerlife
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by longerlife »

I will record it for you and try to get it into a standard computer video format (media center uses some propriety format but hopefully I should be able to convert it, though if anyone has any tips on doing this it might help)....

Interesting re. the anaglyph glasses, basically if I made them amber / blue the lenses would only appear in one eye (due to the colour matching the lens on the glasses you are wearing), this makes it very unpleasant to look at... A lot of the channel four 3D glasses on screen are similarly red/blue. Originally I had planned to make the site red/blue (cyan) but I do think the colorcode glasses look much better and Channel 4 giving away 10 million glasses also made it easier to get people to visit (well so I thought time will tell)....
longerlife
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by longerlife »

I should put a note on the front about what glasses to wear though.... I will get on it right now! ty.
longerlife
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by longerlife »

DONE!!
Gae43

Post by Gae43 »

I've just discovered a method that works........the software I am using is the "old" software UleadVideoStudio 6 and VirtualDub. I guess you can use other software to do this method too. This method has proved successful in restoring the colour to the 3D side.

Method
1)Open the Colorcode video in UleadVideo 6
2)Use the Colour Filters to completely remove the blue depth side. You can experiment with different filters to get the most natural colour.
3)Save the video as the 2D side
3)With the same video, reset the colours and now set the colour filter to full blue, removing the red and green totally.
4)Save as the 3D side
5)Open the blue 3D side in VirtualDub and using the HSV? filter, set the saturation level to zero. This converts the blue side to a grey side but doesn't restore the 2D greyscale which may still be embedded in the RGB video.
6)Open the 2D and 3D side in StereoMovieMaker as left and right........continued
Last edited by Gae43 on Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gae43

Post by Gae43 »

....continued

****VERY IMPORTANT*****
7)Put the grey side on the left and the colour side on the right
8)Save as "interlaced" using compression (use the Microsoft MPEG 4 codec and set bitrate to 6000 for best quality)

9) During the final two steps, the colour is transferred to the grey side. Now depending on how much parallax there is, the colours may be slightly mis-aligned but you can adjust the alignment for better results
10)You can re-open the final interlaced video and then use the "autocolour" function which will fine tune the colour matching between both sides.
Be careful not to compress the video too many times though as of course the quality will degrade.
I'm off now to convert some of my Channel 4 3D week recordings to interlaced format.... :mrgreen:

Gae43
Gae43

Post by Gae43 »

Yuriythebest....your 3D clip is now online.... :D

http://www.youtube.com/user/3DWeekon4

Gae43
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

Gae43 wrote:Yuriythebest....your 3D clip is now online.... :D

http://www.youtube.com/user/3DWeekon4

Gae43

cool thanks! got me 3 seconds of fame :P :mrgreen:

downloaded the video just in case they remove it...

Return to “User Contributed Immersive Technology News & Announcements”