My Nvidia 3D Vision Review

Find a good article? Got a news story to share? VR, AR, 3D...it's all good! No self promotion please.
The_Doctor
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Re: My Nvidia 3D Vision Review

Post by The_Doctor »

Odysee wrote:
The_Doctor wrote:They also work @75 and 70HZ, 60HZ KO (no 60HZ).
What exactly does not work @60Hz? Can't you set the driver to 60Hz in S3D-mode or can you set 60Hz, the display flickers, but the glasses don't?

I need 60Hz support to get S3D because my DLP-Projector (Planar PD8150) accepts only ~ 23-61Hz.
Driver can be set to 60HZ but I see double images and the glasses never sync. So the display flickers but the glasses do not.
Odysee
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Odysee »

So it seems to be a hardware-limitation like with the old cabled-glasses from ELSA which only worked > 63Hz (the IR-version even worked @50Hz). I hope the 3D Vision can be modified to work at lower frequency.

Is it possible to adjust a delay to the sync via driver?
The_Doctor

Post by The_Doctor »

Odysee wrote:So it seems to be a hardware-limitation like with the old cabled-glasses from ELSA which only worked > 63Hz (the IR-version even worked @50Hz). I hope the 3D Vision can be modified to work at lower frequency.

Is it possible to adjust a delay to the sync via driver?

Nothing I have seen. The settings are very basic. Resolution, hz, type (shutter, anaglyph, dlp), keys and that's about it.
DickDastardly
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by DickDastardly »

The_Doctor wrote:
yomer wrote:Forget NVIDIA's emitter, does any emitter work?
All I have is a different dongle (not edimensional) that has vga input (the old style stuff) and one of those emitters with 2 led like things at the top.

So what I can try is to connect the crt with the "generic" vga dongle while having the nvidia emitter connected, cover the nvidia emitter up and check if the other glasses work with the generic dongle (wired and with the non-nvidia emitter). If they do edim. should too.
Thanks a lot for taking the time to test this stuff, Doc - the fact that the nVidia glasses work at 85Hz is the best bit of news I've had in ages :). I'm not sure from the above if you have both wired and wireless non nVidia glasses. If you have a wireless pair, would you mind also trying them with the nVidia emitter? (I'm hoping that I'll be able to use a wireless pair of e-dims for a second player in mp games).
Many thanks,
DD
Odysee
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Odysee »

DickDastardly wrote:If you have a wireless pair, would you mind also trying them with the nVidia emitter? (I'm hoping that I'll be able to use a wireless pair of e-dims for a second player in mp games).
Many thanks,
DD
Would be fine, if you could also test other wireless glasses with the nVidia emitter @60Hz to see, if the frequency limitation comes from emitter or glasses.
kekewons
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by kekewons »

Echo that: Thanks to all who are taking the time to test the new options--very, very helpful.

---------

One thing I'm curious about (but please DON'T test this yet because it might blow something up...I bring it up just for discussion right now....)....

....is what would happen if you were driving a three monitor setup* at 120Hz...but the two side monitors were actually only 60Hz each.

[* using SoftTH. http://www.kegetys.net/SoftTH/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ]

Is it just possible each of the side monitors might show "only" a left eye or right eye image (instead of BLOWING UP because they are being overdriven with a 120Hz signal), while the center monitor showed full stereo?

I ask because this is basically what the human eye DOES see in real life. The cone of stereo vision is actually a narrow subset of the overall two eye view of 180-200 degrees or so (horizontal).

k
kekewons
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by kekewons »

Odysee wrote:
DickDastardly wrote:If you have a wireless pair, would you mind also trying them with the nVidia emitter? (I'm hoping that I'll be able to use a wireless pair of e-dims for a second player in mp games).
Many thanks,
DD
Would be fine, if you could also test other wireless glasses with the nVidia emitter @60Hz to see, if the frequency limitation comes from emitter or glasses.
Good thoughts. If edims, or my I-Art glasses (or the rest) DID work with the Nvidia emitter, that would give current owners an automatic, second pair (or third pair in my case, since I have two) of shutterglasses which might then be useable by other viewers. Keeping the new Nvidia pair for the primary user, of course.... :D

k
The_Doctor

Post by The_Doctor »

I can test both wired and wireless non-nvidia glasses - but not edimensional, will do later.

I know the iz3d driver doesn't work with softth. The nvidia driver does some strange things too, for example gtr evolution doesn't display stereo if fraps is running but other stuff works ok with fraps. Also, with iz3d the mirrors and replays are always garbage while with the nvidia driver no problems. Maybe this applies to other things as well.
1wayjonny
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by 1wayjonny »

Have not gotten my Tridef glasses to work with this yet...

rather the batteries are dead, doubt it or I did read in the package that the dongle uses a laser device?

its right in the PDF files so that might be another block not sure.....
The_Doctor

Post by The_Doctor »

More good news. I tried normal wired shutterglasses on the crt and they work fine. I tried the wired AnotherEye glasses. The nvidia emitter is connected to allow the shutterglasses setting. They also work at 60HZ. :shock:
kekewons
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by kekewons »

Haha! This is the first confirmation I've seen ANYWHERE that the Nvidia stereo driver actually works with SoftTH. Thanks a bunch, Doctor!

I've been asking people for quite a while now in different forums and chatrooms, but never found anyone who had both the stereo rig and the SoftTH setup to try it (including Kegetys).

I suppose the next logical question might be: Does adding SLI affect the outcome of 3D+SoftTH (+SLI) in any meaningful way?

To test that you'd have to have a SLI rig, of course, plus the other two...but it can't hurt to ask.

--------

According to the peeps at the SoftTH forums, SLI has, in the past, shown no added benefit with SoftTH (not sure if it might even have actually slowed things down or not), but with this newest generation of Nvidia cards...particularly the GTX 295...and the high throughput bandwidth of new motherboards like the X58...it seems an important question. Moreso, in fact, because Nvidia themselves do seem to be portraying SLI cards (and SLI'd) cards as a natural fit for the new 3D 120Hz monitors and shutterglasses.

--------

As an aside, and FWIW, I haven't run "GTR evolution" at all but I do race "rFactor" quite often online, and plan to continue with "rFactor2" (which will supposedly use the same graphics engine as the original). Other sims too--"Richard Burns Rally," etc. ("GPL" did NOT work well for me--the cockpit had a see through bottom...and I'm still on the fence about "iRacing").

"rFactor" is the only one I've actually used much with lifesize (projection) 3D, but I'll bet some others would work reasonably well too.

Or maybe I'm just an optimist.... :D

k
distantreader
Cross Eyed!

Post by distantreader »

Indeed this news is good, so where is these wired glassed plugged into, it's own emitter base which in turn plugged into its own dongle? Tks for working on these tests. Really appreciated it.
The_Doctor wrote:More good news. I tried normal wired shutterglasses on the crt and they work fine. I tried the wired AnotherEye glasses. The nvidia emitter is connected to allow the shutterglasses setting. They also work at 60HZ. :shock:
The_Doctor

Post by The_Doctor »

I didn't test softth, i can later if you want me to, I was talking about a single crt connection with non-nvidia shutterglasses.
kekewons wrote:Haha! This is the first confirmation I've seen ANYWHERE that the Nvidia stereo driver actually works with SoftTH. Thanks a bunch, Doctor!
The_Doctor

Post by The_Doctor »

Yes, old-school vga dongle. Crt monitor plugged into vga dongle, dongle connected to video card via dvi adapter and shutterglasses plugged into dongle.
distantreader wrote:Indeed this news is good, so where is these wired glassed plugged into, it's own emitter base which in turn plugged into its own dongle? Tks for working on these tests. Really appreciated it.
The_Doctor wrote:More good news. I tried normal wired shutterglasses on the crt and they work fine. I tried the wired AnotherEye glasses. The nvidia emitter is connected to allow the shutterglasses setting. They also work at 60HZ. :shock:
The_Doctor

Post by The_Doctor »

x3d glasses also work. Wireless works as well with their own transmitter. The nvidia transmitter does not work with the non-nvidia glasses. I assume edimensional will work with their own transmitter.

So, if the nvidia transmitter is plugged in one can use other shutterglasses and transmitters. As long as shutter/crt can be enabled stuff should work. Even at 60 HZ.
Damo3000
Cross Eyed!

Post by Damo3000 »

Yes, old-school vga dongle. Crt monitor plugged into vga dongle, dongle connected to video card via dvi adapter and shutterglasses plugged into dongle.
this just gets better and better. I am getting high hopes now that I can use my dlp projector with my edims and nvidia glasses. can it be real? :shock:
Windows 8
Nvidia 3D Vision
Oculus Rift Dev 1.0
GTX 470
Optoma HD33
The_Doctor

Post by The_Doctor »

Damo3000 wrote:
this just gets better and better. I am getting high hopes now that I can use my dlp projector with my edims and nvidia glasses. can it be real? :shock:
If the projector counts as crt of some sort I don't see why not.
ngsmith
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by ngsmith »

The_Doctor: More good news. I tried normal wired shutterglasses on the crt and they work fine. I tried the wired AnotherEye glasses. The nvidia emitter is connected to allow the shutterglasses setting. They also work at 60HZ. :shock:
In order for the projector setup to work the L/R pageflip needs to be switched. From what Doc shared this can be done by using the Anothereye dongle which allows you to switch the pageflip. The only other option is to rewire your glasses, which also is fairly easy.

I am hoping Nvidia has embedded in their driver a way to switch it through the software. Otherwise how would the DepthQ 3D projector work with it, which they say they support?

Hey Doc, is there any option in the new Nvidia Stereo Control Panel to switch L/R?
Mb: Nvidia570 sli
Cpu: AMD64 X2 4600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8600GT
3D: Shutterglasses + Optoma EP739
The_Doctor

Post by The_Doctor »

ngsmith wrote:
The_Doctor: More good news. I tried normal wired shutterglasses on the crt and they work fine. I tried the wired AnotherEye glasses. The nvidia emitter is connected to allow the shutterglasses setting. They also work at 60HZ. :shock:
In order for the projector setup to work the L/R pageflip needs to be switched. From what Doc shared this can be done by using the Anothereye dongle which allows you to switch the pageflip. The only other option is to rewire your glasses, which also is fairly easy.

I am hoping Nvidia has embedded in their driver a way to switch it through the software. Otherwise how would the DepthQ 3D projector work with it, which they say they support?

Hey Doc, is there any option in the new Nvidia Stereo Control Panel to switch L/R?
Yes, that is a different problem though, unrelated to if it works with projectors or not. The reversing can be solved, it has been done before. I reversed them from the glasses device that is attached to the wire. The x3d glasses can be reversed from software (they have a mini control panel) and I think edim has the same.

The nvidia control panel doesn't have the option, maybe it exists on a certain key combination.
The_Doctor

Post by The_Doctor »

Ok, softth doesn't work. The iz3d driver displays a lot of garbage colors and stuff while this nvidia driver doesn't do anything (I only tried rfactor). Must be something about it hooking into directx. I think that a matrox tripleHead2Go works because I remember people using it before in stereo. You will need a crazy non-existing video card though to play at something like 1680*1050 * 3 monitors, maybe such a card will exist in 5 years :?
The_Doctor

Re: Additional review comments from a new nvidia 3d glasses owne

Post by The_Doctor »

Edgoll, can you adjust the brigthness, contrast and other things from the monitor buttons when you're running a game? I get a "Brightness not available" or "Contrast not available" and so on when running something and the buttons work in windows with no game nothing running just fine.

edgoll wrote:I have recieved my Nvidia 3d/ Samsung 2233 120hz LCD monitor package yesterday from CompUSA and tested it on several games. Just wanted to get in a quick feedback to the conversation. So far I would give the package about a A minus. Once you make convergence adjustments the stereo is great
on Fallout and Tomb Raider Underworld. Need for Speed is awesome but has flicker now and then (runs at a surprisingly low frame rate even without stereo however so that may contribute). All of these games are rated excellent for S3d on Nvidia's game list.

I am surprised how poor the S3d is set at when you first start up an officially supported S3d game however. Most seem to be set with zero to negative convergence and to me look terrible until you tweak them. After tweaking they are fine however. I just mention this because this seems to fly in the face of the out of the box experience Nvidia is apparently trying to achieve. Newbies may not even know that they can adjust anything but depth with the turn wheel on the transmitter and will miss out on a great experience.

That said the only other problems I am having are figuring out how to have the adjustments I make to a game stick the next time I restart. There is a save function (F7) but it seems to work hit or miss and I end up having to make adjustments each time I start a game. That may be something I am doing.. need to experiment more. It seems to me I remember this problem with Nvidia stereo drivers before.

As far as quality of the s3d on the 120hz Samsung; once set properly there is very minimal ghosting, A few bright lights in Fallout seemed to ghost at first but after adjusting settings it seems to be a non issue now. The Samsung LCD seems very high quality; crisp, vivid color. There is one caveat. If you look at the pictures they have on the ordering site they show a monitor with two inputs, one VGA and the other DVI... Well forget the VGA connection.. It is not there on the Samsung's they are shipping. That was a bit of a disappointment considering I expected to hook up an Xbox to that.

That's it for a quick and dirty early report. All in all I am very satisfied and happy to be back with S3d after a few years without.
DickDastardly
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by DickDastardly »

The_Doctor wrote:The reversing can be solved, it has been done before. I reversed them from the glasses device that is attached to the wire. The x3d glasses can be reversed from software (they have a mini control panel) and I think edim has the same.

The nvidia control panel doesn't have the option, maybe it exists on a certain key combination.
Thanks very much for continuing to experiment Doc. This may be a daft question, but when you reversed the page flipping with the wired non-nvidia glasses device, did it reverse the 3D for both the wired glasses and the nVidia glasses?
Cheers,
DD
The_Doctor

Post by The_Doctor »

DickDastardly wrote:
The_Doctor wrote:The reversing can be solved, it has been done before. I reversed them from the glasses device that is attached to the wire. The x3d glasses can be reversed from software (they have a mini control panel) and I think edim has the same.

Thanks very much for continuing to experiment Doc. This may be a daft question, but when you reversed the page flipping with the wired non-nvidia glasses device, did it reverse the 3D for both the wired glasses and the nVidia glasses?
Cheers,
DD
I didn't check both, dunno.
kekewons
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by kekewons »

Disappointed, but thanks for checking out SoftTH, Doc.

Looks like it's a "one or the other" choice...and that's going to take some serious thinking.

k
rkuo
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by rkuo »

Figure I'll post here first instead of creating another thread.

I received the Samsung monitor + glasses bundle on Wednesday. I've been trying to get this game to work properly with Mirror's edge for a while as well as other games.

The major problem I'm encountering is that there is serious ghosting....or at least, serious to a newbie like me. It's especially pronounced in white areas and makes it really hard to focus on the scene in question.

I'm not entirely sure whether it's the monitor or the glasses that's causing the problem, but I'm starting to suspect the glasses. If the glasses are on, and you hold down the power button, it appears to test one or both of the lenses by activating the lens and holding it. When a lens is on like this, I can look through the lens and see that the image on the screen is still visible. Actually, what's happening is that only the part of the lens which i'm looking straight into is blocking the light ... the rest of the lens is just very, but not perfectly opaque. It's almost as if the curvature of the lens means only the part that's right between my eye and the screen can block light decently. On the other hand, maybe it's the monitor too. Who knows? It's hard to tell, and there's no 3d screenshot function for me to test with either.

Anyway, I'd like to know if anyone else is experiencing ghosting issues with this kit and/or monitor. Are there combinations of hardware that might fix this problem...different glasses, different monitor, or what? I really can't take much more of this ... for 600 + the amt I spent to get a computer ready to play these games, I expect working hardware.
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

rkuo wrote: Anyway, I'd like to know if anyone else is experiencing ghosting issues with this kit and/or monitor. Are there combinations of hardware that might fix this problem...different glasses, different monitor, or what? I really can't take much more of this ... for 600 + the amt I spent to get a computer ready to play these games, I expect working hardware.
it's probably due to incorrect separation/convergance. the wheel thingy only controls separation- convergance is in the advanced settings somewhere.
Oculus Rift / 3d Sucks - 2D FTW!!!
pixel67
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by pixel67 »

rkuo wrote:Figure I'll post here first instead of creating another thread.

I received the Samsung monitor + glasses bundle on Wednesday. I've been trying to get this game to work properly with Mirror's edge for a while as well as other games.

The major problem I'm encountering is that there is serious ghosting....or at least, serious to a newbie like me. It's especially pronounced in white areas and makes it really hard to focus on the scene in question.

I'm not entirely sure whether it's the monitor or the glasses that's causing the problem, but I'm starting to suspect the glasses. If the glasses are on, and you hold down the power button, it appears to test one or both of the lenses by activating the lens and holding it. When a lens is on like this, I can look through the lens and see that the image on the screen is still visible. Actually, what's happening is that only the part of the lens which i'm looking straight into is blocking the light ... the rest of the lens is just very, but not perfectly opaque. It's almost as if the curvature of the lens means only the part that's right between my eye and the screen can block light decently. On the other hand, maybe it's the monitor too. Who knows? It's hard to tell, and there's no 3d screenshot function for me to test with either.

Anyway, I'd like to know if anyone else is experiencing ghosting issues with this kit and/or monitor. Are there combinations of hardware that might fix this problem...different glasses, different monitor, or what? I really can't take much more of this ... for 600 + the amt I spent to get a computer ready to play these games, I expect working hardware.
Sounds like your glasses might possibly be the issue. If the glasses aren't uniform in blocking the light then ghosting will be very prominent.
Nvidia 3D Vision Drivers
GTX 280/SLI
Optoma Pro350W
Xpand X102 Glasses
The_Doctor

Post by The_Doctor »

There is ghosting in everything, less than a crt but there is. You might see more if you just started using stereo as well.

I tried Mirror's Edge and don't have much ghosting (with separation at 100%). Nothing that I would call "severe", some here and there. I assume you set your keys for ingame and enabled the in-game settings? Because if you don't you can't set the convergence. If not I think something is wrong with the glasses as well.
Do you have anything else that you can try? Stalker has very good stereo. Or try to download the RACE07 demo just to check, it also has very good stereo and almost zero ghosting for me.

Oh, another thing, make sure dynamic contrast is not on in the "Magic Bright" monitor setting because it makes everything ghost like crazy. I use a "Custom" mode with brightness at 100% and contrast at 70%.

One thing that happened is I tried the Fear 2 demo and it worked great, then somehow I pressed a key combination by mistake and it displayed a message saying "This title is not supported by nvidia". Right after that I got severe ghosting - i am talking bad, every object, everywhere and I couldn't adjust it anymore. Before I would set separation at 100% and then convergence util everything was "in" the monitor and there was almost zero ghosting. The convergence would stop after a while (couldn't adjust more in) but after the keys incident the convergence could on forever and ever, the two images could be taken out of the view completely.

As for the monitor, can you set brightness and contrast in the game from the monitor buttons or do you get a "Not available" message?

rkuo wrote:Figure I'll post here first instead of creating another thread.

edgoll
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by edgoll »

Hey Doc.. answer to monitor question.. No I cannot adjust brightness/ contrast in game from the Samsung LCD panel. I also get the unavailable message in game.

As to Fear 2 Demo.. I also tried it and can get it to work only by super converging once in game (i.e. sending the frames all the way off the screen and having them come back from the other side. There seems to be a post processing overlay which this makes go away. it works great then except for info panels. For them I set up a macro key to call up the panel, switch out of stereo and then another to switch back to stereo and go back to the game. I had to do that for Fallout 3 as well since the wrist computer was too close otherwise. Fear 2 is great once you get it into stereo.. Scary as hell ! its too bad it has so many obstacles to get there.

As to Mirrors edge. I really want to try that but I don't have it yet. It may be the convergence settings. I know when i first turned on Fallout and only used the wheel I almost puked at how bad it looked. After setting realistic convergence it was great.

I am still at a loss as to why I cant save any settings. I press Ctl F7, get a nice green on screen message "saving settings" , and a beep. Yet nothing is ever saved from one game startup to the next. Has anyone figured out where the settings are supposed to be saved. There used to be a file in an Nvidia folder where you could find the convergence and depths settings and we could even pass the best ones around in the s3rd community. Is that feature gone?
Blackbird 002, Maingear
GPU: Nvidia geforce 3d glasses, VR Vive Pro, Oculus; Mothballed 3d hardware: eDdimensional, z800
The_Doctor

Post by The_Doctor »

Hmmmmm, what the heck is the no adjustments when game is running thing?

The settings are saved in Users\Your Username\Documents\NVStereoscopic3D.LOG - or maybe that's just the logs.

I can save them ok.
The_Doctor

Post by The_Doctor »

@edgoll - Can you somehow set the brightness from the nvidia control panel for inside games? There are "Adjust desktop color settings" and "Adjust video color settings", neither affects the brightness inside the games. In XP changing setting in the desktop color settings affected the games. Maybe somebody else more familiar with vista knows how to do that?
chrisjarram

Post by chrisjarram »

rkuo wrote:for 600 + the amt I spent to get a computer ready to play these games, I expect working hardware.
LOL yeah ok - welcome to the world of 3d mate :P
XFX GTX 280 XXX,BFG 7900GTX,Q6600,4gbXMS2,3TB RAID,2xWD Raptors,MountainMods U2-UFO Case,1KW Thermaltake PSU, 3x BenQ MP720p,Full active sim setup inc actuators,shakers,wind,THX sound.CrystalEyes 3,6 wireless ED w/ hipower emitter.
edgoll
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by edgoll »

Doc,, sorry I dont know any override for brightness. So far all the games i have tested however have a brightness / gamma adjustment in them.. Why do you need an override?

Also thanks for info on the NVStereoscopic3D.LOG . I don't have that anywhere on my system.. Maybe that is why my saves don't work. It is surprising all configs got to one log file since it was so different in previous drivers. I may try a reinstall to see if that fixes my absent log file. My documents aren't on my c drive.. maybe something simple like that screwed it up?
Blackbird 002, Maingear
GPU: Nvidia geforce 3d glasses, VR Vive Pro, Oculus; Mothballed 3d hardware: eDdimensional, z800
distantreader
Cross Eyed!

Post by distantreader »

I've been using this "adjust desktop color settings" under XP, and since yesterday, under Vista and it works in games for both OSes. (I use IZ3D/interlace for S3D, though I don't think that should matter). The "adjust video color settings" should not work for in game since it's for video.
EDIT: May not applicable for 3D vision kit, according to people here who has the kit.
The_Doctor wrote:@edgoll - Can you somehow set the brightness from the nvidia control panel for inside games? There are "Adjust desktop color settings" and "Adjust video color settings", neither affects the brightness inside the games. In XP changing setting in the desktop color settings affected the games. Maybe somebody else more familiar with vista knows how to do that?
Last edited by distantreader on Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rkuo
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by rkuo »

OK, so help out a newbie here.

1. For those of you with the kit: Are you seeing the same thing that I'm seeing with respect to the glasses? Namely, only perfect blocking in the center of the lens, in a vertical band. Rest of the lens is leaking the image. You can test this by just holding the power button for a few seconds at a time while in stereoscopic mode in any game.

2. Second, for anyone with shutter glasses in general, should I be expecting what I'm seeing with the nVidia glasses? Or is that a defect?

Doc, in Mirror's Edge, I see serious ghosting when just looking at buildings against the backdrop of the sky. It's very obvious. The black on white titling at the end of the Katana demo movie is also very tough to focus on with the ghosting of the text.

Like others in this thread, I cannot adjust the settings of the monitor in 3D mode. I'm guessing it maxes out the brightness and other settings automatically to compensate for the shutter loss in brightness.

I've already learned how to play with the convergence settings and have used that to fix many games (for some reason the default settings of most games puts the scene too close to the eyes and over the 2D hud elements). The ghosting I'm complaining about isn't the same thing.
edgoll
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by edgoll »

Rkuo.. i do not see any banding on mine.. the whole lens seems to be uniformly black when I run the power button test. (glad you found that i didn't know that was there) Sounds like you may have a bad set of glasses.

As to what to expect from these Nvidia shutter glasses... You should not expect severe ghosting. I have to look real hard to find ghosting on the games I have tested so far. it is not at all a problem as it was in the previous generation of this technology.

rkuo wrote:OK, so help out a newbie here.

1. For those of you with the kit: Are you seeing the same thing that I'm seeing with respect to the glasses? Namely, only perfect blocking in the center of the lens, in a vertical band. Rest of the lens is leaking the image. You can test this by just holding the power button for a few seconds at a time while in stereoscopic mode in any game.

2. Second, for anyone with shutter glasses in general, should I be expecting what I'm seeing with the nVidia glasses? Or is that a defect?

Doc, in Mirror's Edge, I see serious ghosting when just looking at buildings against the backdrop of the sky. It's very obvious. The black on white titling at the end of the Katana demo movie is also very tough to focus on with the ghosting of the text.

Like others in this thread, I cannot adjust the settings of the monitor in 3D mode. I'm guessing it maxes out the brightness and other settings automatically to compensate for the shutter loss in brightness.

I've already learned how to play with the convergence settings and have used that to fix many games (for some reason the default settings of most games puts the scene too close to the eyes and over the 2D hud elements). The ghosting I'm complaining about isn't the same thing.
Blackbird 002, Maingear
rkuo
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by rkuo »

Hey edgoll, here's a a picture I snapped through the lens while using the power button on the glasses to black out the lens.

So, just to confirm, you can't see at all through the lens when it's shuttered? Because I definitely can.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Okta
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by Okta »

So thats 50% of glasses dodgy so far :)
"I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition."
Notch on the FaceDisgrace buyout.
The_Doctor

Post by The_Doctor »

rkuo wrote:Hey edgoll, here's a a picture I snapped through the lens while using the power button on the glasses to black out the lens.

So, just to confirm, you can't see at all through the lens when it's shuttered? Because I definitely can.
No banding for me either, both lenses are 100% black. You need to replace the glasses.
The_Doctor

Post by The_Doctor »

distantreader wrote:I've been using this "adjust desktop color settings" under XP, and since yesterday, under Vista and it works in games for both OSes. (I use IZ3D/interlace for S3D, though I don't think that should matter). The "adjust video color settings" should not work for in game since it's for video.
EDIT: May not applicable for 3D vision kit, according to people here who has the kit.
The_Doctor wrote:@edgoll - Can you somehow set the brightness from the nvidia control panel for inside games? There are "Adjust desktop color settings" and "Adjust video color settings", neither affects the brightness inside the games. In XP changing setting in the desktop color settings affected the games. Maybe somebody else more familiar with vista knows how to do that?
Doesn't work for me at all, but it wasn't an xp upgrade, it was straight vista. It used to work in xp, so maybe that's why it works for you. The changes don't affect anything in game, not even without stereo, it goes back to default and then back to whatever I set on the desktop only. If the game has a brightness setting, that works, but not all do.

Sometimes I want to just make it 5-10% brighter that's why I am asking.

Return to “User Contributed Immersive Technology News & Announcements”