My Nvidia 3D Vision Review

Find a good article? Got a news story to share? VR, AR, 3D...it's all good! No self promotion please.
1wayjonny
One Eyed Hopeful

My Nvidia 3D Vision Review

Post by 1wayjonny »

[ I will clean this up when done i am dumping info quickly for the questions]

Pros:
Very clear lenses (wont darken picture as much as other shutters)
Viewable area is huge
Wireless + Rechargeable (love it already)
Works with a bunch of game i threw at it
3 Nose Pieces (Standard shipping one is great)
Very easy set up wizard
A button on front of the pyramid which turn the 3D on/off while in game
(Great for like being in a session and saying i want 3D now, instead of quitting and starting over, push the nvidia logo it turns green you put on glasses that simple)
The depth wheel is great for quick easy adjustments
Very Very Very comfortable compared to other shutters i used
Vista 64 support =)
Smoothest 3D gaming ever, no comparison

Cons:
DLP Causes red tint in 3D Sync Mode (glasses now have a redder tint on black items)
DLP over scan can not be fixed as of yet (tridef no problem)
Warhammer Online is a no go
Nvidia Desktop resize is not supported

**UPDATE 4 Nvidia address concerns, offers fix, for the DLP users overscan problems here http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=87363

**UPDATE 3 DLP Users beware when you input in 3D mode you TV overscans the picture but the tri-def drivers allowed you to resize the picture to help the DLP users, nvidia does have resize desktop but if enabled it breaks the 3D.... PERIOD!

As of now DLP users will get picture cut off all around until nvidia allows stretching on the picture like Tri-def drivers, its an easy fix but we are talking nvidia here.

**Update2 Cant work too much more until I am home in 3 hours because Remote desktop doesn't play nice with RDP connections, thinks there a incompatible display**

** Updating through out the day be patient I have a job =) **

I have just got 3D glasses from Nvidia today and thought I would right a short review.

I have been a 3D gamer for a while now and I have a lot improvements that I am looking
for with this upgrade. I have been using the Tridef package which includes:
2x Tridef 3D Shutter Glasses, Sync device, and the Tri-def experience software with a reg kay.

My complaints (Tridef):
Very uncomfortable glasses
Headaches, glasses pinch side of temples and just squeeze you head. Makes around you ears tender too.
The nose piece on both sets have a thin line of rubber from the manufacturing that while wearing for
over 20 minutes cuts down vertically on your nose, OUCH! Plus the view able shutter area is small
little windows about 1-1/2 inches wide. Batteries are $6.00 a shot to replace 2x C3202. Could use some
better performance when in 3D

My biggest complaint is that the drivers are sold per game around $5.00 which isn't that bad, if they actually made any.
They only offer about 5 good games and 6-7 garbage ones. I beat or played out games before they would even have a driver
by a long shot. The have good tech support but it was a waste almost, the movie experience was good watching 1080 mkv's
though, but other software can do that as well.

So, with the Nvidia glasses I hope the glasses have much bigger viewable shutter area, comfort, rechargeable, works with games
and the look a little more styling.

Setup:
Asus Striker Extreme
Q6600 2.4GHZ @ 3.0GHZ
4GB OCZ 1066
Geforce8800 GTX 768
Vista64 & Win7 64
HL-T6187SAX 61" Samsung LED 3D Ready DLP

I never had an issue with getting 3D in Vista64 with Tri-def, but we all know Nvidia has stole our souls with not even mentioning
"3D" for a while now. I am glad they released this product but some info would have helped but I think I speak for most when I say...

/shout&jump
Welcome back NVIDIA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lets begin, I have posted some photos of the unboxing below then we will go over the setup.

(This is the retail box)

(Glasses look pretty damn cool)

(Driver set up)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by 1wayjonny on Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:40 pm, edited 9 times in total.
cirk2
Certif-Eyed!

Re: My Nvidia 3D Vision Review

Post by cirk2 »

hmm some of your picture seem to be broken...

when you back at home: can you upload the driver anywehre? (rapidshare e.g.)
1wayjonny
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by 1wayjonny »

**UPDATE** I have added dir.txt for complete listing of files in the mean time

pictures are not all uploaded yet... i will fix this as soon as possible but

i am not sure if its legal for me to dump the drivers.... personally i don't care at all but I would not mind if mtbs3d.com did not...plus i don't want nvidia to re-act bad to the posting of drivers...

May bee a site admin can step in and if it gets the green flag i have not problem doing it
sharky
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by sharky »

hi!

nice review at least a very good start!

could you please use our mtbs gallry to upload the images? (http://www.mtbs3d.com/gallery" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) else there is the risk that in some months imageshack deletes teh images and your review is naked.

just go to the @ at the top, then upload images, and put them into the "hosting for forum". the preview and the mini img (not fullscreen image) are also both an apropriate size for the forums.

thank you,

hope to see the finished review soon.

igor
Adam Savage: "I reject your reality and substitute it for my own."
Jamie Hyneman: "It's really cool, but really unusual."

flexy
Cross Eyed!

Post by flexy »

please, please dump drivers/ISO.

You would be my hero :)

G.

Edit: i can give a report back whether and how it works with my 3D Plasma and ED glasses as well as Elsa Erazors.
Last edited by flexy on Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

awesome! can't wait for your results.
Oculus Rift / 3d Sucks - 2D FTW!!!
Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by Neil »

Hi Guys!

I know it's well intentioned, but please don't post .ISO files like this. I don't think it would come across the right way for MTBS.

However, it's good to see these forum review efforts, and I'm looking forward to more of them.

Regards,
Neil
1wayjonny
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by 1wayjonny »

no problem wont bring them back neil

sorry to taint the forum
pixel67
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by pixel67 »

Congrats on your purchase! I was perusing the user manual and on pg 28 it mentions supporting a resolution of 1768x992. You may want to give this resolution a shot. The first gen of DDD Drivers had this same issue and then they started automatically scaling back the resolution when an application was launched. IZ3D Drivers have the very same issue but you are right that you would think Nvidia would be the first to get this right during setup. Should be an easy fix though...

Nice review. I look forward to hearing much more about the red tint issue as it is funny that it wasn't noticed when using the DDD glasses. Do the DDD glasses work with the Nvidia emitter?
Nvidia 3D Vision Drivers
GTX 280/SLI
Optoma Pro350W
Xpand X102 Glasses
johnoliver
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by johnoliver »

Hi 1wayjonny:

This sounds wonderful! I too have Samsung 3D DLP tv, so I guess it's confirmed that this Nvidia glasses works with the Samsung tv?

If it is, I will go order a pair right away!

& by the way, have you used the Samsung SSG1000 glasses the other reviewer used? I would like to hear some comparison between it and the Nvidia kit. :roll:

~thanks for the review :)
GPU: nVIDIA 8800GT 512MB
PSU: Corsair 550W
RAM: 2GB
CPU: Intel Core 2, 2.13 GHz
Display: 61'' Samsung 3D-Ready LED DLP TV (HL61A750) + 22'' Samsung 2233rz for PC
Glasses: Nvidia 3D Vision kit
cirk2
Certif-Eyed!

Post by cirk2 »

Ok nvidia have just added their driver to the homepage, now I'm happy ;)
1wayjonny
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by 1wayjonny »

pixel67 wrote:Congrats on your purchase! I was perusing the user manual and on pg 28 it mentions supporting a resolution of 1768x992. You may want to give this resolution a shot. The first gen of DDD Drivers had this same issue and then they started automatically scaling back the resolution when an application was launched. IZ3D Drivers have the very same issue but you are right that you would think Nvidia would be the first to get this right during setup. Should be an easy fix though...

Nice review. I look forward to hearing much more about the red tint issue as it is funny that it wasn't noticed when using the DDD glasses. Do the DDD glasses work with the Nvidia emitter?
i will try the res i messed with some last night with no solution yet. will try thanks

the red tint was not noticeable with the tridef glasses they were dark tints, but you can def see it more here cause the nvidia lenses are damn near clear compared to the tridef. so you will notice the red a little more but only on a pure black screen. when the colors and game are on you cant focus enough to see red in the black.

they are so smooth and the lens are huge and the whole lens is a lcd shutter edge to edge, unlike the windows on my other glasses

buy them bro trust me way better then any other glasses i have used, those who say they are not worth $200 are out their mind, order the set you will thanks me later for the quality[/u]
1wayjonny
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by 1wayjonny »

johnoliver wrote:Hi 1wayjonny:

This sounds wonderful! I too have Samsung 3D DLP tv, so I guess it's confirmed that this Nvidia glasses works with the Samsung tv?

If it is, I will go order a pair right away!

& by the way, have you used the Samsung SSG1000 glasses the other reviewer used? I would like to hear some comparison between it and the Nvidia kit. :roll:

~thanks for the review :)
these are way better then the samsung and tridef glasses, the quality is worth the price, the set up and intergration is perfect in drivers, i ran the wizard and bam instant windows 64 bit gaming
1wayjonny
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by 1wayjonny »

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=87363" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

put the re-size issue in nvidia forums lets see what happens, Answered? Fixed? Deleted?
yomer
Cross Eyed!

Post by yomer »

Has anyone tried the new drivers with CRT + Shutters?
1wayjonny
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by 1wayjonny »

where is the link for the download version of the 3D driver i dont see them?

I found the 3D Nvidia Video Player, but no driver can someone post the link please...
1wayjonny
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by 1wayjonny »

Found this explanation buried in quick tips 3D pdf file
Make sure you are running your game in
resolutions that support GeForce 3D Vision.
In order to support GeForce 3D Vision, your
game must be confgured to run at the correct
settings for your display. If you have:
120 Hz LcD: > Select an in-game
resolution of 1680x1050. Use the NVIDIA
Wizard or in-game settings to set a
refresh rate of 100 Hz or higher.
DLp HDTV: > Select a resolution of
1920x1080, 1768x992 or 1280x1024
and set the refresh rate to 60 Hz.
DepthQ > ® HD 3D projector: Select
a resolution of 1280x720. Use the
NVIDIA Wizard or in-game settings
to set a refresh rate of 120 Hz.
1wayjonny
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by 1wayjonny »

go off the phone with level 1 tech support , trying to explain that they need the resize feature that is available from ddd/tridef and iz3d but he was useless and kept saying my TV is not supported.

I really blew up on him on the phone after 15 minutes of him telling me its not supports walked his ass to the PDF on the website that showed it listed and he gave level 2 support numbers.... what an ass

let me save you the trouble

408 486 2300 Level 2 support

the one i called was inside the 3d document for 3D vision users this guy useless and had an attitude so i let him know that and not to be rude and schooled his ass.

wish it wasn't like that for my 1st tech support call, i mean this guy was rude and cocky
nubie
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by nubie »

I would blame the TV manufacturers, they need to stop with the overscan: Digital display of digital content, no more scanning electron beam, why overscan you F@$#%ing C$%@s? WHY?

I hope you get it figured out, your DLP manufacturer should really know better. What model DLP? Is there no option for removal of overscan? I know cheap stuff doesn't have overscan options, but the high-end stuff (like a 3D DLP) should.

EDIT:

Is it one of the TV's listed on the Right side here? http://www.dlp.com/hdtv/3-d_dlp_hdtv.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:shock: :shock: A 56" Samsung for $1,000, that is freaking awesome.

I think you need to get on Samsung/Mitsubishi customer support and get them to fix it, overscan on a PC is not acceptable, and drivers shouldn't be necessary to work around it in my opinion, the display should work properly on it's own.

Edit 2: OMG, a 50" for $800

http://shopdigitaldirect.com/catalog/pr ... ts_id=8044" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(720p model for $700)

http://www.google.com/products/catalog? ... ps-sellers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is freaking crazy.
Last edited by nubie on Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
CAVE, see what all the fuss is about:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6NN5JKlIi0
kekewons
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by kekewons »

The latest 3D driver can be found here:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/3d_stereo.html#drivers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

v181.20

Very helpful review, btw, thanks for posting it. I'm particularly happy to learn the lenses are letting more light through than do other glasses, as I may try to build a DIY projector (and those are generally "brightness challenged" in comparison to commercial projectors).

k
VOXEL
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by VOXEL »

kekewons wrote:The latest 3D driver can be found here:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/3d_stereo.html#drivers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

v181.20
On the site, they posted nvidia driver for the Zalman, but updated to 181.20.
Support GeForce 3D Vision for this driver is not.
Sorry for my bad english )
nubie
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by nubie »

I notice you said you have a "HLT 6187 LED DLP"

Is there a firmware upgrade that will fix the overscan issue? I just checked Samsung and they support a firmware upgrade on a USB memory stick.

There is a file and a PDF for upgrading on the HL-T6187s , I think you can check your firmware without trying to flash it.

The owners manual makes no mention of 3D that I can find yet, are you using the nVidia USB dongle? Do you know if it is doing checkerboard 3D?
CAVE, see what all the fuss is about:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6NN5JKlIi0
kekewons
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by kekewons »

Ah, didnt' realize that, thx Voxel. Can't test it myself since I don't own a Vista PC.

k
VadersApp
Cross Eyed!

Post by VadersApp »

Even anagyph will not stay after the nvidia test. Does someone have luck to choose from other methods than ananglyph? Maybe checkerboard?
Thats with 181.20 forceware drivers and Samsung DLP and no 3d vision glasses . There also aren´t any registy entries like before.
1wayjonny
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by 1wayjonny »

nubie wrote:I notice you said you have a "HLT 6187 LED DLP"

Is there a firmware upgrade that will fix the overscan issue? I just checked Samsung and they support a firmware upgrade on a USB memory stick.

There is a file and a PDF for upgrading on the HL-T6187s , I think you can check your firmware without trying to flash it.

The owners manual makes no mention of 3D that I can find yet, are you using the nVidia USB dongle? Do you know if it is doing checkerboard 3D?

yes i have the HL-T6187 61 " DLP LED

i have contacted samsung about this 1-2 times and they act like a 5 years old on the phone... i agree that smsung shouldnt have did this but i have been trying to get them to fix it for over 6 months since my tridef glasses had to deal with the samsung issue.

tridef offered a software support to fix the samsung issue...

i possible think of why it needs to over scan and it seems im not the only one who is pissed off about it

samsung you suck for this, please if anybody can help this issue or a number at samsung where we can explain this and not have the people act like retards
snaileri
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by snaileri »

nubie wrote: ...
Edit 2: OMG, a 50" for $800

http://shopdigitaldirect.com/catalog/pr ... ts_id=8044" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This is freaking crazy.
That model is out of production, So I wouldn't recommend buying it.
1wayjonny
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by 1wayjonny »

spoke to samsung support

level 1 - Seth
listen to the concern (which didnt happen before when i called about issue)
tried to find solution but failed then gave me to level 2
seth also let me know about samsung VLC which is a official customer support

they asked me to have as many people possible make a VLC about the DLP overscan issue

level 2 - Mike
Was well aware of the situation after I explained it , then he knew about tridef and i explained they adjusted the drivers to fix this issue. he looked at it then made a corporate support request and will get back to me with in 2 days

When complaining use my support ticket as reference tell them you are not that perosn but that support will explain it all

please make as many VLC as possible samsung owners

either i want a fix or a technical answer of why it cant be done
edgoll
One Eyed Hopeful

Additional review comments from a new nvidia 3d glasses owne

Post by edgoll »

I have recieved my Nvidia 3d/ Samsung 2233 120hz LCD monitor package yesterday from CompUSA and tested it on several games. Just wanted to get in a quick feedback to the conversation. So far I would give the package about a A minus. Once you make convergence adjustments the stereo is great on Fallout and Tomb Raider Underworld. Need for Speed is awesome but has flicker now and then (runs at a surprisingly low frame rate even without stereo however so that may contribute). All of these games are rated excellent for S3d on Nvidia's game list.

I am surprised how poor the S3d is set at when you first start up an officially supported S3d game however. Most seem to be set with zero to negative convergence and to me look terrible until you tweak them. After tweaking they are fine however. I just mention this because this seems to fly in the face of the out of the box experience Nvidia is apparently trying to achieve. Newbies may not even know that they can adjust anything but depth with the turn wheel on the transmitter and will miss out on a great experience.

That said the only other problems I am having are figuring out how to have the adjustments I make to a game stick the next time I restart. There is a save function (F7) but it seems to work hit or miss and I end up having to make adjustments each time I start a game. That may be something I am doing.. need to experiment more. It seems to me I remember this problem with Nvidia stereo drivers before.

As far as quality of the s3d on the 120hz Samsung; once set properly there is very minimal ghosting, A few bright lights in Fallout seemed to ghost at first but after adjusting settings it seems to be a non issue now. The Samsung LCD seems very high quality; crisp, vivid color. There is one caveat. If you look at the pictures they have on the ordering site they show a monitor with two inputs, one VGA and the other DVI... Well forget the VGA connection.. It is not there on the Samsung's they are shipping. That was a bit of a disappointment considering I expected to hook up an Xbox to that.

That's it for a quick and dirty early report. All in all I am very satisfied and happy to be back with S3d after a few years without.
Blackbird 002, Maingear
GPU: Nvidia geforce 3d glasses, VR Vive Pro, Oculus; Mothballed 3d hardware: eDdimensional, z800
The_Doctor
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Re: Additional review comments from a new nvidia 3d glasses owne

Post by The_Doctor »

How is the ghosting on the lcd monitor compared to old crt monitors with shutterglasses?
edgoll wrote:I have recieved my Nvidia 3d/ Samsung 2233 120hz LCD monitor package yesterday from CompUSA and tested it on several games. Just wanted to get in a quick feedback to the conversation. So far I would give the package about a A minus. Once you make convergence adjustments the stereo is great on Fallout and Tomb Raider Underworld. Need for Speed is awesome but has flicker now and then (runs at a surprisingly low frame rate even without stereo however so that may contribute). All of these games are rated excellent for S3d on Nvidia's game list.

I am surprised how poor the S3d is set at when you first start up an officially supported S3d game however. Most seem to be set with zero to negative convergence and to me look terrible until you tweak them. After tweaking they are fine however. I just mention this because this seems to fly in the face of the out of the box experience Nvidia is apparently trying to achieve. Newbies may not even know that they can adjust anything but depth with the turn wheel on the transmitter and will miss out on a great experience.

That said the only other problems I am having are figuring out how to have the adjustments I make to a game stick the next time I restart. There is a save function (F7) but it seems to work hit or miss and I end up having to make adjustments each time I start a game. That may be something I am doing.. need to experiment more. It seems to me I remember this problem with Nvidia stereo drivers before.

As far as quality of the s3d on the 120hz Samsung; once set properly there is very minimal ghosting, A few bright lights in Fallout seemed to ghost at first but after adjusting settings it seems to be a non issue now. The Samsung LCD seems very high quality; crisp, vivid color. There is one caveat. If you look at the pictures they have on the ordering site they show a monitor with two inputs, one VGA and the other DVI... Well forget the VGA connection.. It is not there on the Samsung's they are shipping. That was a bit of a disappointment considering I expected to hook up an Xbox to that.

That's it for a quick and dirty early report. All in all I am very satisfied and happy to be back with S3d after a few years without.
edgoll
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by edgoll »

Re ghosting i just checked out Fallout again.. none that I can see.. and there are some pretty intense lighting effects that would have been a problem with my old edimensional shutter glasses and CRT set up.
Blackbird 002, Maingear
GPU: Nvidia geforce 3d glasses, VR Vive Pro, Oculus; Mothballed 3d hardware: eDdimensional, z800
kekewons
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by kekewons »

Very tempting.

I had thought that monitor wouldn't be available until April, but I guess they are expediting things for those who buy the bundle.

Rather hoping they consider a similar bundle using the glasses and the new ViewSonic 3D projector too.

In any case, thanks for the review. Always helpful to read a detailed, "hands-on" first impression.

k
The_Doctor

Post by The_Doctor »

edgoll wrote:Re ghosting i just checked out Fallout again.. none that I can see.. and there are some pretty intense lighting effects that would have been a problem with my old edimensional shutter glasses and CRT set up.
No or almost no ghosting on a "normal" monitor ... hmm , sounds very good. :shock:
flexy
Cross Eyed!

Post by flexy »

cirk2 wrote:Ok nvidia have just added their driver to the homepage, now I'm happy ;)
WHAT!?!?!?!!??

Nice!!!!!!!!
1wayjonny
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by 1wayjonny »

since you all love the pic's and info i would love someone to help with this setting in

stereoscopic player 1.3

I have it set on 3D DLP Ready which i know is correct but everytime I do
open/file it brings up a menu with

Interlaced R/L
Interlaced L/R
SideBySide R/L
SideBySide L/R
OverUnder R/L
OverUnder L/R
SiS Attachment
2D Mono

I have tried all options and they all fail, the driver and glasses are working but I set 3D ready TV like the instructions and still it ask how i want to input the file?

I believe the 3D DLP are checkerboard right? The glasses do pick up the two image but i cant watch them it's all screwy on the picture.

I know its not working but what am I doing wrong?

Thanks guys please advise
crim3
Certif-Eyed!

Post by crim3 »

edgoll wrote:That said the only other problems I am having are figuring out how to have the adjustments I make to a game stick the next time I restart. There is a save function (F7) but it seems to work hit or miss and I end up having to make adjustments each time I start a game. That may be something I am doing.. need to experiment more. It seems to me I remember this problem with Nvidia stereo drivers before.
Isn't it Control+F7 ?
Zalman Trimon ZM-M220W / Acer H5360 with Another Eye2000 shutters / nVIDIA GTX760
snaileri
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by snaileri »

22-inch screen just sounds too small to me.
Can we expect bigger 120hz LCD screens any time soon?
The_Doctor

Post by The_Doctor »

snaileri wrote:22-inch screen just sounds too small to me.
Can we expect bigger 120hz LCD screens any time soon?

I heard about Soyo making a 24", but that won't be until later this year. Other than that no news I think, maybe next year.
edgoll
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by edgoll »

crim3 wrote:
edgoll wrote:That said the only other problems I am having are figuring out how to have the adjustments I make to a game stick the next time I restart. There is a save function (F7) but it seems to work hit or miss and I end up having to make adjustments each time I start a game. That may be something I am doing.. need to experiment more. It seems to me I remember this problem with Nvidia stereo drivers before.
Isn't it Control+F7 ?
Crim3 ..you are right it is Ctl F7 to save configurations..my typo... but it still wont save my configs. I have to redo them each time???
Blackbird 002, Maingear
distantreader
Cross Eyed!

Post by distantreader »

@edgoll,1wayjonny: Thanks to both of you for the reviews.
Either of you by any chance still got a CRT ? :lol: I am planning to order the glasses kit to use with my CRT and would appreciate some user opinion on it.
Last edited by distantreader on Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
snaileri
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by snaileri »

The_Doctor wrote: I heard about Soyo making a 24", but that won't be until later this year. Other than that no news I think, maybe next year.
Any LCD TVs coming this yea with 120hz?

Return to “User Contributed Immersive Technology News & Announcements”