My Nvidia 3D Vision Review

Find a good article? Got a news story to share? VR, AR, 3D...it's all good! No self promotion please.
flexy
Cross Eyed!

Re: My Nvidia 3D Vision Review

Post by flexy »

yes i think from 24" and up it becomes interesting.

22" -- too small, i dont want the "fishtank" effect.

Ideal would be something like a 36" - 40" inch TV/monitor.

Aside from the fact that my 52" 3d plasma has too much ghosting, if i put the 52" behind my desk it literally fills out the whole field of view - its just insane. 40" would be sufficient for the same effect, it might fit ON the desk even. (It needs two people to lift the 52" :)

So..the 22" 120hz monitors coming out is a very good thing since we can expect others to follow, and 120hz is just INCREDIBLE...not only for 3D but also for gaming. There are many, many people who do not buy LCDs because they are hardcore gamers and don't like the 60hz.

Now imagine a kickass 120hz LCD which is great for gaming AND has excellent 3D..... <-- i want one :)
The_Doctor
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by The_Doctor »

I went and got one of these things to mess with it. There is ghosting on a 120Hz lcd. I would say compared to old crt monitor at 120HZ with generic shutterglasses about 40%. (so 60% less). This is with 100% separation. The Samsung monitor is nice, has some weird flower design on the back and as mentioned before no vga input. It also requires a dual-link dvi cable.
The_Doctor

Post by The_Doctor »

Good news people. The glasses work @85HZ on my crt @1024*768. Break out the projectors :) (no 120Hz monitor connected at all).
Xerion

Post by Xerion »

The_Doctor wrote:Good news people. The glasses work @85HZ on my crt @1024*768. Break out the projectors :) (no 120Hz monitor connected at all).
Indeed good news, couldn't get this info out of nvidia itself. Now I only have to wait for the glasses to become available in Europe :/
Current Rig: Intel i7 920 @ 4.0GHz, 6 GB ram, Geforce GTX670 -> Nvidia 3D Vision on LG 47LM615S (interlaced, spoofing Zalman EDID) + Oculus Rift
Control Peripherals: Novint Falcon, Razer Hydra, P5 Glove, XBOX 360 Controller, Wiimote, Saitek X52 Pro (flight control system), Logitech G27 (racing wheel), Logitech G15 (keyboard), Razer Naga Molten Edition (mouse)
The_Doctor

Post by The_Doctor »

They also work @75 and 70HZ, 60HZ KO (no 60HZ)

Regarding the crt, ghosting is much worse compared to the lcd monitor. This is all on a gtx280 and a monitor from the year 2000, hopefully it applies to projectors.
Xerion

Post by Xerion »

Possibly caused by the phosphor decay being too slow. I always had ghosting on CRT as well, but not on my DLP projector so pretty sure I won't be having any with the new glasses either. I also see tigerdirect now lists the seperate glasses as well (it only had the bundle before). Very tempting to just import them.... have to think about it...
Current Rig: Intel i7 920 @ 4.0GHz, 6 GB ram, Geforce GTX670 -> Nvidia 3D Vision on LG 47LM615S (interlaced, spoofing Zalman EDID) + Oculus Rift
Control Peripherals: Novint Falcon, Razer Hydra, P5 Glove, XBOX 360 Controller, Wiimote, Saitek X52 Pro (flight control system), Logitech G27 (racing wheel), Logitech G15 (keyboard), Razer Naga Molten Edition (mouse)
Damo3000
Cross Eyed!

Post by Damo3000 »

The_Doctor wrote:
Good news people. The glasses work @85HZ on my crt @1024*768. Break out the projectors :) (no 120Hz monitor connected at all).
Man this is really good news. Now I wonder if the Edimensional glasses will work with the Nvidia emitter!
Can anyone try this please! I have my DLP projector, so I really hope it works at 85hz too! Looks like Im placing my order as soon as I know projectors work!
Windows 8
Nvidia 3D Vision
Oculus Rift Dev 1.0
GTX 470
Optoma HD33
The_Doctor

Post by The_Doctor »

I don't know if the driver will install if there's no 100HZ device present. It detects stuff at install time, but after the install 85 hz works ok. Maybe I should try.
Damo3000
Cross Eyed!

Post by Damo3000 »

Well worst that could happen is I hook up and older CRT temporarily :lol:
Windows 8
Nvidia 3D Vision
Oculus Rift Dev 1.0
GTX 470
Optoma HD33
Freke1
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Freke1 »

1wayjonny wrote:since you all love the pic's and info i would love someone to help with this setting in stereoscopic player 1.3
I use:
View - viewing method - Nvidia Stereo driver
and choose Sidebyside (switch L/R with F7) but it depends on the video.
then Alt+Enter or Ctrl+Alt+Enter to see it in 3D.

If fullscreen is too big You can expand the 2D window by dragging the borders and then switch to 3D.
Not sure if this will do the trick though...

EDIT:
I get something like that when I try to view a interlaced video with sidebyside setting in Stereoscopic Player.
Make sure You set File - Layout correct in Stereoscopic Player before switching on 3D...
Last edited by Freke1 on Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The_Doctor

Post by The_Doctor »

Damo3000 wrote:Well worst that could happen is I hook up and older CRT temporarily :lol:
True, but not everybody has antiques around. Anyway, I use a 50' dual dvi cable from the computer to another room and active usb extensions (32' long and connect all the usb devices in the other room that way). Everything works except for the nvidia transmitter. So if anybody is running long usb active wires far away from the computer it doesn't seem to work through such a connection.
Xerion

Post by Xerion »

Well I was trying to place an order at tigerdirect, but while I can choose my country, put state on international etc. It won't properly accept my postal code in the zip code field. When entering only part of the postal code it will show the shipping costs, however postal service here will annoyingly halt the package longer or do weird things even if they can find out the correct postal code in seconds. Furthermore it will be held up at customs. Then there's also the hassle of only being able to pay through wire transfer for international orders. All in all it might well be april before I'd get them (which is the european release date for the glasses according to rumor). Adding to this all the extra costs I think I'll just wait a bit longer ;)

OT: Does anyone know why they won't at least accept paypal for international orders? Paypal will just pay them and it's then paypal's problem whether I'm legit so I don't see any risks for tigerdirect...
The_Doctor

Post by The_Doctor »

OK, so, I unistalled the drivers. Connected a 60HZ lcd monitor and reinstalled. It goes through some stuff like "look at this with the left eye, what do you see" blahblahblah, you can't see anything normal with a 60HZ monitor. So you have to guess. I guess if it's wrong one can redo the install (if the monitor is acting after the install in 3d or whatever). Then at the end it comes up with a "can't detect supported 3d device", and you get a choice of 3 things to select from 1.)generic crt monitor 2.)generic dlp hdtv 3.)anaglyph. I selected anaglyph.

Then shut down, connected the crt, restart, went to stereo settings, set 1024*768@85 HZ and it works fine. However the only settings that can be set in the stereo settings are anaglyph, generic crt monitor or generic dlp hdtv. If this has an impact on projectors I have no idea (if projector would work with crt monitor @ 85 HZ for example).

If there is some >= 100HZ device connected the install is easier since you can see all the "look at this, look at that what do you see?" stuff.
Damo3000
Cross Eyed!

Post by Damo3000 »

Well it certainly sounds very promising! Thanks a lot for taking time away from actually playing in 3D to test out stuff and letting us know! Looks like I can start setting up my Vista box! :D
Windows 8
Nvidia 3D Vision
Oculus Rift Dev 1.0
GTX 470
Optoma HD33
1wayjonny
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by 1wayjonny »

hey guys my private PM's have been getting stuck in the outbox, they say they are sent but i dont get replies and the are not in the sent folder either...

whats the deal? Neil any clue?
1wayjonny
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by 1wayjonny »

pixel67 wrote:Congrats on your purchase! I was perusing the user manual and on pg 28 it mentions supporting a resolution of 1768x992. You may want to give this resolution a shot. The first gen of DDD Drivers had this same issue and then they started automatically scaling back the resolution when an application was launched. IZ3D Drivers have the very same issue but you are right that you would think Nvidia would be the first to get this right during setup. Should be an easy fix though...

Nice review. I look forward to hearing much more about the red tint issue as it is funny that it wasn't noticed when using the DDD glasses. Do the DDD glasses work with the Nvidia emitter?

Ok this works by its now underscaned, leaving 1 1/2 - 2 " Inches around the border all four sides on a 61" Samsung DLP

Please people complain to nvidia & samsung of why this happens its so stupid and is hold us all back
1wayjonny
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by 1wayjonny »

Freke1 wrote:
1wayjonny wrote:since you all love the pic's and info i would love someone to help with this setting in stereoscopic player 1.3
I use:
View - viewing method - Nvidia Stereo driver
and choose Sidebyside (switch L/R with F7) but it depends on the video.
then Alt+Enter or Ctrl+Alt+Enter to see it in 3D.

If fullscreen is too big You can expand the 2D window by dragging the borders and then switch to 3D.
Not sure if this will do the trick though...

when i do these setting my picture is super enlarges and when i hit F7 it seems like it does a instant pan its rather i see more of the right side or more of the left side... nvidia is enabled in bottom corner

i wonder if its the 144 DPI i am using brb

**UPDATE**
No the DPI was not it so let me post some screen shots for you about getting the samsungDLP/nvidia set to play in stereoscopic player. The TriDef prob still work havent test it yet

Before F7

AfterF7

Does this with full screen while trying to do 3D its like instant headache

It streches it out big time every mkv or bluray i throw at it it does this... the mkv are super zoomed in, full screen or windowed shows same effect just going full screen makes my eyes go crazy
The_Doctor

Post by The_Doctor »

Xerion wrote:Well I was trying to place an order at tigerdirect, but while I can choose my country, put state on international etc. It won't properly accept my postal code in the zip code field. When entering only part of the postal code it will show the shipping costs, however postal service here will annoyingly halt the package longer or do weird things even if they can find out the correct postal code in seconds. Furthermore it will be held up at customs. Then there's also the hassle of only being able to pay through wire transfer for international orders. All in all it might well be april before I'd get them (which is the european release date for the glasses according to rumor). Adding to this all the extra costs I think I'll just wait a bit longer ;)

OT: Does anyone know why they won't at least accept paypal for international orders? Paypal will just pay them and it's then paypal's problem whether I'm legit so I don't see any risks for tigerdirect...
I don't know if it's a good idea to get them now instead of waiting since there will probably be zero warranty on them.
distantreader
Cross Eyed!

Post by distantreader »

Many thanks for this info. Ordered the glasses only kit with TigerDirect via Amazon, will arrive Monday 26th. I need to play Witcher in pageflipping mode (read Nvidia) because interlaced mode is just too dark, my eyes focal plane got farther (worse) after couple weeks with interlaced + shutter glasses due to this poor light condition.
The_Doctor wrote:Good news people. The glasses work @85HZ on my crt @1024*768. Break out the projectors :) (no 120Hz monitor connected at all).
kekewons
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by kekewons »

Yeesh! Are you saying that using 3D seems to be causing your eyes to change, quite literally?

Using 3D is causing you to become farsighted?

k
distantreader
Cross Eyed!

Post by distantreader »

Yes literally. Only I don't think it's because of S3D using, rather it's the lack of light causing my eyes to overwork. You see, interlaced mode gives only 25% or less amount of light normally available by the display ( .5 by interlace mode, .5 by shutterglasses approx., that's only 1/4 of the screen light is transmitted to viewing eyes). Over a period of about one month of intense gaming in this condition, my eyes which already need reading glasses are now getting worse. I've been gaming in S3D for a long period (since 1995) and I feel pretty comfortable with it enough to know that it's not S3D that causes this problem.
kekewons wrote:Yeesh! Are you saying that using 3D seems to be causing your eyes to change, quite literally?

Using 3D is causing you to become farsighted?

k
The_Doctor

Post by The_Doctor »

That is strange, never heard of anybody with such issues. But yeah, interlaced is way too dark.
kekewons
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by kekewons »

Ok, that's good to know, thanks. I've used 3D (shutterglasses) off and on myself for several years, first with a CRT, and later a DLP projector, and didn't have that issue...but I didn't use interlaced either.

Or maybe mine were affected too, even using page-flipping, and I just didn't realize it.

I do know my eyes went through "the change*" toward far-sightedness during this same period, but it wasn't anything unexpected or unusual, according to my eye-doctor. Moreover, my huge predisposition toward near-sightedness has eased a fair bit...so my eyes are technically getting better, and not worse.

[* "The change" happens in your early-mid forties, as your eyes begin to lose their natural elasticity. Makes it harder to focus on near objects, among other things]

k
distantreader
Cross Eyed!

Post by distantreader »

Glad to know there are other people in my age group who's also into S3D gaming. :lol:

I didn't used interlaced until iZ3D 1.10 beta release. Prior to that I'd been using Nvidia's pageflippingg with shutterLCD with zero problem (prior to that was actually interlaced mode with voodoo/3dFX era) but never this intense and prolonged usage (in such a poor lighting condition) which I believe to be the crucial factor that affects my eyes.

The reason I'd like to get Nvidia's 3DVision at this point mainly because it is the only solution that provides pageflipping (double or more, sorry I'm not sure what factor it might be here but definitely at least double, amount of light compared to interlaced + double the resolution) and I just have to pretend that Nvidia never did *iss me off by dropping support for XP S3D without a word of explanation to the loyal customer base of Nvidia S3D users.

Nevertheless upon reflection, I think Nvidia did what they had to do, they dropped the free support because they were working on a viable commercial solution, the research went into this probably was not negligible, considering the breadth of its solution partners and product marketing impact.

Now I have to worry about installing Vista over XP this weekend and get all the favorite games ready for the kit to arrive, what a chore!

Sorry that I'm taking it too far off the thread's topic. Back to 3D vision review, it's great to know the kit works with CRT because that's what I'm using for shutter while waiting for 120Hz 24" LCD like everyone else. It would also be nice if someone could test to see whether other shutterglasses are compatible with Nvidia in any fashion at all since most of people here probably have more than one spare pairs or in my case several wireless and wired LCD shutterglasses lying around over the years.
Last edited by distantreader on Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:16 pm, edited 5 times in total.
1wayjonny
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by 1wayjonny »

After playing a dark game for hours i just bought left 4 dead

Problems so far:
Samsung DLP red tint over powers the blacks , with tri def no problem but these lens are clearer and it sucks its so red... how ever this is fixable if samsung allowed us to adjust the red tint in the menu bu its locked out only 2 option are only available.

Then the samsung DLP has forced me to use the 17**x992 what ever res because it zooms in my native 1920x1080 for no reason, you don't care so much when playing but what the hell both complaints are fixable by firmware and im not sure if I will ever get the simple satisfaction of a damn perfect experience , so close ...

Samsung dont ZOOM and less red tint or just make it adjustable it horrific for non tri def glasses BOOOO!!!
BILDO
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by BILDO »

So can you buy the Nvidia Drivers, but use the Tri-Def glasses?
flexy
Cross Eyed!

Post by flexy »

BILDO wrote:So can you buy the Nvidia Drivers, but use the Tri-Def glasses?
uhm....NV drivers are free.

And no, its hardlocked to the hardware. Unless someone "hacks" the drivers.
Frettchen
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Frettchen »

Hi folks,

Damo3000 already asked for it: could anyone test if the wireless Edimensional glasses work together with the new IR-Emitter from Nvidia (maybe The_Doctor?)???? I have about 20 ED spare glasses which should be useable again. It would be great if someone could try that!!!!
The_Doctor

Post by The_Doctor »

Sorry, I don't have Ed glasses.
Frettchen wrote:Hi folks,

Damo3000 already asked for it: could anyone test if the wireless Edimensional glasses work together with the new IR-Emitter from Nvidia (maybe The_Doctor?)???? I have about 20 ED spare glasses which should be useable again. It would be great if someone could try that!!!!
yomer
Cross Eyed!

Post by yomer »

Forget NVIDIA's emitter, does any emitter work?
The_Doctor

Post by The_Doctor »

yomer wrote:Forget NVIDIA's emitter, does any emitter work?
Well you can't get the shutterglasses mode without the nvidia emitter connected.

All I have is a different dongle (not edimensional) that has vga input (the old style stuff) and one of those emitters with 2 led like things at the top.

So what I can try is to connect the crt with the "generic" vga dongle while having the nvidia emitter connected, cover the nvidia emitter up and check if the other glasses work with the generic dongle (wired and with the non-nvidia emitter). If they do edim. should too.
yomer
Cross Eyed!

Post by yomer »

True. maybe I can buy a refurbished emitter, which should be cheap.
The_Doctor

Post by The_Doctor »

yomer wrote:True. maybe I can buy a refurbished emitter, which should be cheap.
I understand people want to somehow get around it, and honestly I was skeptical at first as well. $199 (at least in the US) sounds steep when used to $10 shutterglasses. But the whole system is way better than anything I have ever tried before, so $199 for hopefully years of use if nvidia doesn't trash it again (and that's the biggest concern), especially if you have projectors gathering dust or good crt monitors. Think about it: NOTHING or this.
yomer
Cross Eyed!

Post by yomer »

Hmm, I bought a PS3 a couple of months ago. I bought a used G25 steering wheel. I have 2 22" Mitsubishi Diamond Pro CRT monitors gathering dust because I sold my old computer to a cousin and I'm waiting for a low cost solution to play in S3D again. So, either iz3d gets their drivers to work correctly with shutters so I can use my laptop with an ATi card, or I have to buy a new computer, plus the 3D Vision. $$$~$$$$
The_Doctor

Post by The_Doctor »

yomer wrote:Hmm, I bought a PS3 a couple of months ago. I bought a used G25 steering wheel. I have 2 22" Mitsubishi Diamond Pro CRT monitors gathering dust because I sold my old computer to a cousin and I'm waiting for a low cost solution to play in S3D again. So, either iz3d gets their drivers to work correctly with shutters so I can use my laptop with an ATi card, or I have to buy a new computer, plus the 3D Vision. $$$~$$$$
You would need a computer even if the nvidia glasses were free. You wouldn't be able to use the laptop with shutters even if the drivers would work "for free" since nvidia never worked with ati cards anyway. In your case I they are indeed not worth $199 since you have no use for them.

But people paid $100 for edimensional with a edimensional "driver" and relied on the nvidia driver. This is the same thing, I think of it as "$99 extra for a very good driver right now". Hopefully iz3d can get shutters working with ati as well.

If I would have a projector and a good computer + new nvidia card I would go for it.

I'll try the non-nvidia emitters later and will post the results.
yomer
Cross Eyed!

Post by yomer »

I know I still need a computer, but it would save me the cost of the whole 3D Vision kit. I'll have to explore all possibilities. I would already be paying a premium for a new NVIDIA card.
distantreader
Cross Eyed!

Post by distantreader »

With all the current solutions, I do not think laptop + shutter is viable yet regardless of video card brand, unless the laptop's display is of the newer generation with >100Hz like the new 22" Samsung.
yomer wrote:some text deleted...
So, either iz3d gets their drivers to work correctly with shutters so I can use my laptop with an ATi card, or I have to buy a new computer, plus the 3D Vision. $$$~$$$$
The_Doctor

Post by The_Doctor »

That doesn't exist yet. But he can connect his crt to the laptop.
distantreader wrote:With all the current solutions, I do not think laptop + shutter is viable yet regardless of video card brand, unless the laptop's display is of the newer generation with >100Hz like the new 22" Samsung.
So, either iz3d gets their drivers to work correctly with shutters so I can use my laptop with an ATi card, or I have to buy a new computer, plus the 3D Vision. $$$~$$$$
distantreader
Cross Eyed!

Post by distantreader »

Ah, I knew I'd missed something. For that matter, I guess he can also hook it up to a new generation LCD if he wanted to.
The_Doctor wrote:That doesn't exist yet. But he can connect his crt to the laptop.
distantreader wrote:With all the current solutions, I do not think laptop + shutter is viable yet regardless of video card brand, unless the laptop's display is of the newer generation with >100Hz like the new 22" Samsung.
Odysee
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Odysee »

The_Doctor wrote:They also work @75 and 70HZ, 60HZ KO (no 60HZ).
What exactly does not work @60Hz? Can't you set the driver to 60Hz in S3D-mode or can you set 60Hz, the display flickers, but the glasses don't?

I need 60Hz support to get S3D because my DLP-Projector (Planar PD8150) accepts only ~ 23-61Hz.

Return to “User Contributed Immersive Technology News & Announcements”