BBC 3D London Olympics plans

Find a good article? Got a news story to share? VR, AR, 3D...it's all good! No self promotion please.
Silversurfer
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

BBC 3D London Olympics plans

Post by Silversurfer »

By Richard Lawler posted Feb 16th 2012 6:53PM
The Beeb has finally detailed its plans for 3D broadcasts during the London 2012 Olympic Games this summer, and unfortunately for fans of the technology, the content available for live viewing will be pretty limited. The BBC's site lists the Opening / Closing ceremonies and the men's 100m dash for its experimental coverage... and that's it. At the end of each day a "highlights package" will be available, but we're still not sure what other sports will be included yet. This approach harkens back to NBC's 24 hour tape delayed HD broadcasts of 2004, and according to director Roger Mosey, is mostly due to limited capacity. If the BBC is using one of its HD channels for the free-to-air 3D broadcast, then it takes away an HD channel for another event at the same time, so the ceremonies have the advantage of not blacking out any other coverage. In the US, it's possible things could be different if 3D broadcasts are made available on a dedicated events channel as Versus nee NBC SportsTalk has done before, but we'll wait to hear what NBC has planned and hope Usain Bolt doesn't false start again.
BBC, Roger Mosey
http://www.engadget.com/2012/02/16/bbc- ... -event-da/
Got a release or 3D news story to share? Email press@mtbs3D.com, and we'll put it up!

Silversurfer
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Re: BBC 3D London Olympics plans

Post by Silversurfer »

As a UK citizen paying my TV licence I cry foul, this is Wimbledon all over again, half baked and showing the world how we suck at 3-D live broadcasts. :evil:
Got a release or 3D news story to share? Email press@mtbs3D.com, and we'll put it up!

ShawmK
Cross Eyed!

Post by ShawmK »

Silversurfer wrote:As a UK citizen paying my TV licence I cry foul, this is Wimbledon all over again, half baked and showing the world how we suck at 3-D live broadcasts. :evil:
Be grateful that the BBC is showing so little interest in 3D; if they ever launch a full-blown 3D channel of their own, they will probably start charging us extra for a "3D Television Licence"!

Their official reason for not investing in 3D is that they don't want to spend licence-payers' money on a technology that so few of their viewers will actually be able to watch. By that logic, they should never have invested in colour forty years ago. Or stereo sound; or high-definition, for that matter.

Last July, the BBC's Head of 3D resigned, to work in the private sector. I didn't even know they had a Head of 3D.
Gae43
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Gae43 »

What I don't understand is this constant excuse that everyone must be able to watch everything at the same otherwise it could be seen as a waste of the Licence payer's money. Just transmit 3D content form time to time for us already. There are enough channels to watch and if you haven't got a 3D TV then tough....just view something else for a couple of hours a week or go out and do something more interesting. That way some of us might actually get some 3D content instead of excuses. There are enough repeats on the BBC HD channel after all. I really do think that it shows a lack of interest and or commitment by the BBC.

Gae43

Return to “User Contributed Immersive Technology News & Announcements”