SEems this blogger doesn't like 3D [movies]....

Find a good article? Got a news story to share? VR, AR, 3D...it's all good! No self promotion please.
gisabun
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

SEems this blogger doesn't like 3D [movies]....

Post by gisabun »

"Last Friday, I departed from my normal business technology beat to talk about the geek entertainment event Game of Thrones. This week I’m going to plug into our Geekend theme again, but this time the topic is something more nefarious — the entertainment industry’s misguided scam of the public.

The 3D gimmick has sadly infiltrated movies and television and is now threatening to infect video games and smartphones as well. There’s only one reason why the entertainment industry keeps relentlessly pushing this at consumers — it’s a transparent attempt to bleed more money out of people. And, while a lot of consumers have caught on to the scam, not everyone is doing enough to stop it.

3D is definitely NOT about innovation, as the industry would like you to believe. In fact, adding the current 3D effects to a movie or video of any kind subtracts from the picture. It muddies the colors and unsharpens the images, and it has to slow down the action shots because it makes people sick if things go too fast in 3D. In fact, optometrists estimate that up to 25% of people get headaches or nausea from simply watching 3D at all."

More at the source below....

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/hiner/ ... -scam/7983" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
WiredEarp
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Re: SEems this blogger doesn't like 3D [movies]....

Post by WiredEarp »

Haha yeah I was mocking this earlier. What a douche review. Its the sort of thing that would have made some sense 2 years ago, but he's really late to the anti 3D bandwagon nowadays, and the entire thing shows his total lack of knowledge of 3D. He even claims Toy Story etc was crap 3D cos it was a 2D-3D conversion(!)

TechRepublic isn't a particularly good site anyway, but even just judging this 'article' on technical accuracy alone, it is a gigantic fail.
gisabun
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by gisabun »

WiredEarp wrote:Haha yeah I was mocking this earlier. What a douche review. Its the sort of thing that would have made some sense 2 years ago, but he's really late to the anti 3D bandwagon nowadays, and the entire thing shows his total lack of knowledge of 3D. He even claims Toy Story etc was crap 3D cos it was a 2D-3D conversion(!)

TechRepublic isn't a particularly good site anyway, but even just judging this 'article' on technical accuracy alone, it is a gigantic fail.
TechRepublic is not a good site? Understatement! Between them and their sister site ZDNet, you have incompitent writers [some who don't spell check], who like to speculate [without any reasoning] and who basically like to start flaming wars.
Gae43
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Gae43 »

and it has to slow down the action shots because it makes people sick if things go too fast in 3D
That's fine by me. I hate the modern trend for subliminal editing and shaky cameras anyway.
it’s a transparent attempt to bleed more money out of people. And, while a lot of consumers have caught on to the scam, not everyone is doing enough to stop it.
Thats funny. I feel the same way about designer clothes and many other things on sale in shops. Each to their own I guess. The guy is forgetting one thing. The selling of a product only seems like a scam to those who aren't interested in that product. For people who are, they are paying money for something they want and something that gives them pleasure. It's a trading phenomenon that's been going on for 1000's of years. Someone needs to tell this guy that.

A simple equation.

1) You're a 3D fan = you buy and enjoy 3D things
2) You're not a 3D fan = you don't buy and enjoy 3D things

Spending valuable time dissing things that you personally have no interest in = a poor life choice. It implies that you don't like anything else sufficiently enough to spend time talking about that instead. He's just a grouch.

Gae43

Return to “User Contributed Immersive Technology News & Announcements”