Forth Dimension Displays showcases high resolution HMD

Find a good article? Got a news story to share? VR, AR, 3D...it's all good! No self promotion please.
cadcoke5
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Forth Dimension Displays showcases high resolution HMD

Post by cadcoke5 »

I ran across the following article on Engaget. They say;
"Called Replicating Reality, it uses two .8-inch 1280 x 1024 LCD panels and head tracking to place you in a 3D virtual world. [snip] Of course, it still looked like a game, but there's a pixel packed 2048 x 1536 panel in the works that the company claims can deliver visuals nigh-indistinguishable from the real world
http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/08/repl ... ered-by-p/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

From the company's web site;
A contender for the next big thing in consumer entertainment

Taunton, Mass, May 31, 2011 -- Forth Dimension Displays (FDD), a leading provider of display components for fighter jet and helicopter simulators, and subsidiary of Kopin® Corporation, will introduce Replicating Reality™. Replicating Reality is a new concept to create the ultimate experience by making the user feel fully immersed in a different world or hyper-reality. Initially aiming at the gaming industry, Replicating Reality will be showcased at the E3 Gaming Conference (http://www.e3expo.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) to be held at the Los Angeles Convention Center (June 7-9, Booth #2962) and at IVR Expo at the Tokyo International Exhibition Center (June 22-24, Booth #24-39).

When asked to describe Replicating Reality, Greg Truman, CEO of FDD commented, “Our vision is to deliver a display where the user will be unable to tell the difference from reality. The wide field of view, very high resolution microdisplays and head tracking all contribute to a feeling of total immersion in the virtual world. We can build systems where the field of view, the resolution and colors are exactly the same as you see in the real world.”

The website http://www.replicatingreality.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; has been created to promote the concept.
I hunted for more details about their HMD, but it was hard to come by. On one of their technical links they had the following;
HMD
NVIS nVISOR SX60 (http://www.nvisinc.com/product.php?id=16" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) delivering a 60° FOV image per eye.

Joe Dunfee
Synexious
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Re: Forth Dimension Displays showcases high resolution HMD

Post by Synexious »

Good god, man!!! Thank you so much for posting this! I will buy this IMMEDIATELY upon release for as much as $4000. But here's a comment from the Engadget article:
Christian Schildwaechter wrote:Since I have wanted a usable and affordable HMD for about two decades now (I still have some DIY-VR stuff from the early 90s lying around here), I just spend some time at the websites of kopin, forthdd and replicatingreality. Read all the press releases, all the twitter and blog entries on replicatingreality, watched all the videos on the site (the same ones as in their YouTube channel) and learned almost nothing.

Obviously I was looking for something like release date/price, but I doubt that this will be released in the near future. Everywhere they talk about "promoting the concept, demo, discussing possibilities etc.". None of the videos show a product, just some 3D applications, mostly games. This is not vaporware, they are actually trying to push this and have been working with game developers, and the product is technical feasible, but this seems to be a demonstration model to test ideas, not intended for sale.

The technical specs (if you can call the sparse information that http://replicatingreality.com/.." onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. ) show an NVIS nVISOR SX60, also shown on the last of the pictures in the engadget gallery, used with an Intersense InertiaCube2+ head tracker. The nVISOR is an SXGA HMD with 60° field of view per eye which goes for about $US24,000 at tekgear, the InertiaCube2+ goes for an additional $US2,600, so most certainly not a consumer product.

This runs down to Kopin/Forth Dimension Displays wanting to enter the gaming market, pitching the idea to game developers and using high-end VR equipment to demonstrate what they intend to do in the future. I assume they have a plan how to produce something technically similar for about 5% of the price (still $US1,200) to reach even the gamers with very deep pockets. And hopefully the timeline for this is "only a few years". But we're most definitely not talking about "now". Which explains why my hunt for a release date or price failed miserably.
I wonder if this is really going to happen. If it does, we're about to witness Snow Crash become reality! I wonder if this could be done in a year... Please don't be vaporware like the TDVisor!
Okta
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by Okta »

Vaporware.
"I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition."
Notch on the FaceDisgrace buyout.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

This isn't vaporware. Kopin makes the majority of displays you find in all sorts of HMDs (like VR920, for example). I'm sure the tech is real. The question is whether any of this will make it to the consumer market for affordable prices. If they are at E3, then clearly they are interested in entering this space. If all they cared about was military/medical, then they wouldn't be at an entertainment conference. They probably wanted to put out a feeler and see if game developers were interested. If produced in bulk, I think they could reach mass-market prices on these types of high-fov HD HMDs. It remains to be seen if the market is (or will be) that big.
Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by Neil »

I met the Kopin guys years ago. They make the optics for the Vuzix stuff (VR920 for sure).

Regards,
Neil
Synexious
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Synexious »

What's so disappointing is that the technology exists to bring VR into the mainstream affordably, but there's not enough interest in doing it.
ERP
Cross Eyed!

Post by ERP »

cybereality wrote:This isn't vaporware. Kopin makes the majority of displays you find in all sorts of HMDs (like VR920, for example). I'm sure the tech is real. The question is whether any of this will make it to the consumer market for affordable prices. If they are at E3, then clearly they are interested in entering this space. If all they cared about was military/medical, then they wouldn't be at an entertainment conference. They probably wanted to put out a feeler and see if game developers were interested. If produced in bulk, I think they could reach mass-market prices on these types of high-fov HD HMDs. It remains to be seen if the market is (or will be) that big.
They could also be fishing for funding/someone to buy them out.
E3's a good way to get product in front of people who make business decisions.
I think any type of device like this is just too high risk for the bulk of the entertainment industry.
PalmerTech
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by PalmerTech »

From the other thread:
PalmerTech wrote:I have been following Replicating Reality for a while now, I was one of the first 5 people to "like" their Facebook page (Including their own employees!).

Right now, though, there is no product. They are just using the guts of an NVIS SX60 to demonstrate how much better things COULD be, if we would stop pushing all these terrible low FOV products. The FOV is 60 degrees on their demo unit, we will have to see if they actually get enough steam to develop their own product.

They have a sales office that is very nearby for me, I am going to try and arrange a visit. :)
I guess it is good to see SOME interest, but realistically, this is nothing more than showing off a $25k HMD being used for gaming. I really, REALLY want them to get some investors/interest, though! If any company has the resources and knowhow to do this, it might be Kopin.

Return to “User Contributed Immersive Technology News & Announcements”